Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish forces have started bombing and attacking Kurdish people in Syria

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

As for Turkey's invasion, it could turn into their Vietnam. Costly, with mission creep, including setting up a new proxy state. Have they the stomach for the long run?

By some kurdish accounts, they have already expanded the theatre beyond the turks' expectations. Could be a quagmire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

So is this one of those invidious situations where people either have to go along with the flow of yet another massacre overseas, or maybe slightly rethink the cliff notes vision of US foreign policy as simply being an un-nuanced bane wherever it touches.

Still I don't want to make people think I'm just here to take a cheap shot at anti-US sentiment, I don't think it has escaped anyone's notice that this moving is a stunningly selective interpretation of this apparently in vogue 'neo-isolationism' which has become popular in the US, as a means of reducing US commitments overseas. I mean could he not have started with Saudi Arabia? Was that really utterly unthinkable? That maybe the purported leaders of the free world could cut the cord with perhaps the most notoriously regressive regime in the world?

Perhaps there's simply a grim calculus of politics behind this all but it really just looks like a knee-jerk move made with no consideration of the future implications.

Don't know IP but looks like the dumbest clusterfeck ever.

Also, there is a huge gulf now between US and EU policy. That won't go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So much for Trump withdrawing troops from the middle east.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/10/deploy-large-number-forces-saudi-arabia-report-191011160852019.html

As for Turkey's invasion, it could turn into their Vietnam. Costly, with mission creep, including setting up a new proxy state. Have they the stomach for the long run?

Rojava is flat as a pancake, they have total air power and tanks. They'll steam roll it, repopulate it with Arab refugees loyal to the government and they'll create militias in that community with total state support. The Kurds won't get near the Turkish state proper.

• Advertisement

Looking at public snapchats from Akcakale, Turkey. There are plenty of tanks and soldiers heading to Syria.

Feel so sorry for the Kurds. If you look at public snapchats from Aleppo, there are businesses open and kids being kids again. That wouldn’t be the case if the Kurdish fighters hadn’t been involved.

I feel very helpless knowing how wrong this is. I hope people think twice about booking their cheap Turkish holiday as it’s funding all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

weisses wrote: »
    Because the US is responsible for the rise/forming of ISIS

So your solution is for the US to remain meddling in Middle Eastern affairs? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Looking at public snapchats from Akcakale, Turkey. There are plenty of tanks and soldiers heading to Syria.

Feel so sorry for the Kurds. If you look at public snapchats from Aleppo, there are businesses open and kids being kids again. That wouldn’t be the case if the Kurdish fighters hadn’t been involved.

I feel very helpless knowing how wrong this is. I hope people think twice about booking their cheap Turkish holiday as it’s funding all this.

Public Snapchats are one of the most fun ways to get a visual feeling of what's happening on the ground. Remember Croatia getting to the football final last summer the place lost the plot. Was hilarious to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

AMKC wrote: »
    What is your opinion of this?

Me I am off the opinion that the Kurdish people just want to be able to have a state of there own so they can live as they want. They are no threat to Turkey and never were but a few years ago Turkey seemed to decide they were an enemy and started attacking them. It was only because of America and the UN wanted the Kurds as allies to fight ISIS that they stopped and now with all the American troops gone they seem to think they can force them out of there homes. I do not like Turkey and I do not like Erdogan either he is a dictator.
    Woow. Even the Kurds would laugh at that. PKK have been killing innocent people in Turkey since 1980's. YPG = PKK. There are 20m Kurds in Turkey. This isnt against Kurds . It is against PKK. This is like describing the fight against IRA as fight against the "Irish". I hate Erdogan myself and i certainly hate violence but i grew up with terror fear. Turkey has the right to defend their borders just like US did when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11 to wipe terrorism.
    P.S My English could have been better if PKK hadnt burned my English teacher alive. (being serious). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Market_massacre
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/13-shoppers-die-in-istanbul-arson-attack-1080615.html

Turkey have quite the track record when it comes to genocide, Greeks, Armenians and Kurds.
    But they never get called out on it, even our own spineless government don't officially reconogise the Armenian genocide.
    I think Turkey should admit the Armenian genocide . They should also send all the Armenians living large in Turkey to Armenia.
    genocide of Greeks is unheard of though. Thats hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Oops. Double post. See below.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Trump has stated he has one of three options to the situation "Send in thousands of troops and win Militarily, hit Turkey very hard Financially and with Sanctions, or mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds!"

So, am I correct in the assumption that the majority here, who constantly complain of US military intervention into the region are in favor of more US military intervention?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember before the emergence of Daesh and infiltration of other rebels it was said that Syria will be an absolute quagmire.

How right they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

notobtuse wrote: »
    Trump has stated he has one of three options to the situation "Send in thousands of troops and win Militarily, hit Turkey very hard Financially and with Sanctions, or mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds!"

So, am I correct in the assumption that the majority here, who constantly complain of US military intervention into the region are in favor of more US military intervention?

Both the EU and US should impose sanctions and revoke trade deals with Turkey. Was a country at a crossroads a number of years ago and they definitely chose poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Both the EU and US should impose sanctions and revoke trade deals with Turkey. Was a country at a crossroads a number of years ago and they definitely chose poorly

Erdogan has said he will allow the 3.5 million Syrian refugees currently in Turkey to travel to Europe if the EU even describe what he is doing as an invasion, so I don't think there will be sanctions from the EU.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

crashadder wrote: »
    Woow. Even the Kurds would laugh at that. PKK have been killing innocent people in Turkey since 1980's. YPG = PKK. There are 20m Kurds in Turkey. This isnt against Kurds . It is against PKK. This is like describing the fight against IRA as fight against the "Irish". I hate Erdogan myself and i certainly hate violence but i grew up with terror fear. Turkey has the right to defend their borders just like US did when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11 to wipe terrorism.
    P.S My English could have been better if PKK hadnt burned my English teacher alive. (being serious). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Market_massacre
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/13-shoppers-die-in-istanbul-arson-attack-1080615.html

The US had the right to defend their borders after 9/11 against Iraq? Who had nothing to do with it.

While still supporting Saudi Arabia who are the most culpable country for that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The US had the right to defend their borders after 9/11 against Iraq? Who had nothing to do with it.

While still supporting Saudi Arabia who are the most culpable country for that attack.

Yeah it's like someone punched you in the face so you broke the legs off another guy across the street and then burned down the house of another dude because you had a previous grudge against him

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

its exactly what toddlers do, they can't process their rage and attack nearest easiest target

But then again the Turks have a history of treating the Kurds in a horrible way so it is hard to believe that Turkey just wants to help the refugees.

yeah ? how so ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

FTA69 wrote: »
    Rojava is flat as a pancake, they have total air power and tanks. They'll steam roll it, repopulate it with Arab refugees loyal to the government and they'll create militias in that community with total state support. The Kurds won't get near the Turkish state proper.

The US had total air power in Iraq and Vietnam. As did the Brits in NI. Airpower is of limited value in asymetrical warfare where its impossible to tell the difference between civilian and guerilla. And the Turks aren't exactly experienced in ground-air operations.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The choice in that area of Syria is YPG or ISIS.

I know who I'd prefer in power there and it aint ISIS or Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

weisses wrote: »
    So what is your rationale for the US pulling out overnight leaving the kurds to be massacred by turkey ... How is trump damned if he kept those forces there ?

The only way I can think is in relation to the Turkish ultimatum that said they wanted the US to clear out its troops, as they didn't want to kill solders belonging to another NATO country.

But Turkey is no ally. Turkey has repeatedly threatened to invade neighboring countries in the region and actually has done so repeatedly. It is opposed to America and to the EU. Turkey has threatened the EU with an 'army' of refugees if the EU says that the military operation is an 'invasion' again. It openly attacks Western press and values. These are not the actions of an ally.

The Kurds were an ally. Not a perfect ally, but such a thing probably doesn't exist. They were a people with no allegiance to Assad, Tehran, or Moscow, one that didn't engage in suicide bombing or mass atrocities, one that didn't practice crazy fundamentalism. They have women soldiers for crying out loud.

Trump always portrays himself as not being afraid of a fight, but he seemingly conceded this one before a shot was fired. It feels like one that is cowardly, short-sighted, and not even self-serving. I'd make a joke about bad deals, but it would feel in poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Turkey has a lot of military power but I think they will struggle in northern Syria against hardened defensive positions and guerilla warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Turkey has a lot of military power but I think they will struggle in northern Syria against hardened defensive positions and guerilla warfare.

Is that not what Howitzers are for?

Nah, unfortunately I don't think the Kurds stand much of a chance.

Most of their towns are right on the border. One foot into Syria and you're already in those towns.

The lands south of the border are predominantly flat and open, and Turkey has got a very substantial airforce. The Kurds have no air power. The Kurds put up an amazing fight against ISIS, but this is a much more uneven struggle.

The Euphrates is a great obstacle, but it runs north-south, not east-west as would be required for it to be useful in this circumstance.

The front is also spectacularly wide (about 200 km). For comparison sake the entire border of Germany and Poland is about 300 km.

To make matters even worse, Assad has declared that the Kurds' preference for Washinton over Aleppo means that he won't help them out. In fact, as the Kurds have quite a lot of oil in eastern Syria, Assad is likely to try grab a lot of Kurdish territory in that region. This is a significant difference to a year ago when Assad's solders helped defend Manbij from Turkish incursion.

The only other players in the region are Russia and Iran, but as the Kurds allied themselves with America instead of either of these nations, trying to woo their affection at this late stage would be unlikely. Iran has publicly decried Turkey's invasion, while Putin is publicly sitting on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

So what happens if Assads Army push up into current Kurdish Control area and meet the lines of the Turkish Army?

Trump is lining his own personal pockets by pulling out. He has huge business interests in Turkey. Yet another case for impeachment under the Emoluments Clause.

The choice in that area of Syria is YPG or ISIS.

I know who I'd prefer in power there and it aint ISIS or Turkey.
    YPG(aka PKK) you prefer seeing in power have killed more than 30.000 people in Turkey. (google if you want) some of them were babies women teenagers... I understand you dont care since it wasnt you who got hurt but Turkey has every right to put an end to this and thats exactly what they are doing.

• Advertisement

So what happens if Assads Army push up into current Kurdish Control area and meet the lines of the Turkish Army?

I don't see it happening, (edit: seems like I was wrong) but if it did it would be brinkmanship.

Syrian troops would dare the Turkish troops to attack them. If they didn't, the invasion would probably end, and a stalemate would ensue (as happened before).

If Turkey did attack Syrian troops, then I suppose a state of war would exist between the two countries. This would be really messy. Syria doesn't have a very large military. It is very exhausted after a long war, which it is still fighting. Most of their forces are currently taken up with clearing Idlib of Al Qaeda and Turkish-backed rebels. While they have some good mechanized forces, they couldn't really hope to beat Turkey. This is particularly the case in the air. The only way for Syria to stand a chance is to use Russian hardware (for instance s-400 air defense system) if not actual Russian forces. Essentially Assad would have to get permission from Putin for this type of escalation.

Putin has been very, very happy to drive a wedge between two NATO countries. This conflict helps to drive the wedge further. While Putin probably doesn't trust or like Turkey, having Turkey on side gives him significant leverage. Putin doesn't need to throw his lot into this conflict, so there's not much chance he will, and as such the Syrian forces are probably going to remain, right where they currently are.

Because of international outrage Turkey will probably limit its campaign to a depth of about 30km into Syria (unless they're looking for oil). They'll definately seek to annex Manbij because that's been a bugbear of theirs for a while. Ceding territory to Turkey will be a painful loss for Assad, but he can rationalize that it hasn't been his land for several years at this stage anyway. Turkey won't officially encorporate this Syrian land into Turkey, but will have a puppet rebel organisation administer on their behalf. They will probably force most Kurds living in this territory south, and have many of the refugees currently living in Turkey move into Kurdish towns near the border.

Advertisement