Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

903 new safety camera zones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm not anti speed camera, but I have a big issue with their implementation. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to the RSA to justify how our money is spent, and I've yet to see any data to show that 56km/h is actually more dangerous than 50km/h, all variables considered. The reason I'm picking these out is because of the hundred of kilometers I drive every week, the only place I see cameras are in 50km/h zones.

It's far more complex than more speed = more danger, and I'd like to see that reflected in our roads policing.

In fact, if I had my way, I'd have average speed cameras on all busy motorways, and on selected N and R roads nationwide. I would be in favour of on the spot bans (and taking the car for the duration) for people who take the mick on offenes like YouTube or seatbelts.

You know as well as I do that they park in locations where they're difficult to be seen, behind walls in particular.

All I asked was for some data to show their effectiveness in reducing road deaths, and you somehow bring Trump into it.

1. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I'm not sure what else it can be. I'm not normally a Daily Mail reader, but this highlights GoSafe's political links.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333766/Speed-camera-tycoon-Xavier-McAuliffe-caught-speeding-twice-week.html

Measuring somethings effectiveness by how much money it costs is an interesting way of doing it. "Hey Joe Public, look how much of your money we're spending in order to make our roads safer."

Refuting the "flash for cash" argument by stating that they're loss making, assumes that we're getting absolutely the best possible value for money.

The Children's Hospital, Broadband plan, National Stadium, Luas, MetroLink to name but a few recent state contracts, would indicate a pattern of the state blindly overspending, in an effort to show some kind of progress in each.

Given the cost, I'd much prefer to see comprehensive data to show their effectiveness, that isn't collated together with safer cars, better roads, etc.

3. Not directly no, but the contract is far harder to justify at renewal time if the net cost increases.

The long and short of it ..
    It's cheaper to outsource the hours of mobile camera vans than to do it in house.

Instead of paying a Garda wage, buying and maintaining the vans and equipment etc etc etc.. you get a company that has people on minimum wage.
    The company gets their cut, and AGS doesn't have any of the headaches.

It's a financial loss.. but less of a loss than having it run completely by AGS.

Edit.. oh, we're saving lives thus money .. maybe, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The faster you drive, the less time on the road, less chance of being in an accident if you arent on the road as long.

Yes that 60 seconds saved on your journey will cause less traffic accidents but the extra speed might stop you braking for a child. But that's ok, they are replaceable in 9 months or so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not anti speed camera, but I have a big issue with their implementation. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to the RSA to justify how our money is spent, and I've yet to see any data to show that 56km/h is actually more dangerous than 50km/h, all variables considered. The reason I'm picking these out is because of the hundred of kilometers I drive every week, the only place I see cameras are in 50km/h zones.

It's far more complex than more speed = more danger, and I'd like to see that reflected in our roads policing.

In fact, if I had my way, I'd have average speed cameras on all busy motorways, and on selected N and R roads nationwide. I would be in favour of on the spot bans (and taking the car for the duration) for people who take the mick on offenes like YouTube or seatbelts.

You know as well as I do that they park in locations where they're difficult to be seen, behind walls in particular.

All I asked was for some data to show their effectiveness in reducing road deaths, and you somehow bring Trump into it.

1. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, I'm not sure what else it can be. I'm not normally a Daily Mail reader, but this highlights GoSafe's political links.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333766/Speed-camera-tycoon-Xavier-McAuliffe-caught-speeding-twice-week.html

Measuring somethings effectiveness by how much money it costs is an interesting way of doing it. "Hey Joe Public, look how much of your money we're spending in order to make our roads safer."

Refuting the "flash for cash" argument by stating that they're loss making, assumes that we're getting absolutely the best possible value for money.

The Children's Hospital, Broadband plan, National Stadium, Luas, MetroLink to name but a few recent state contracts, would indicate a pattern of the state blindly overspending, in an effort to show some kind of progress in each.

Given the cost, I'd much prefer to see comprehensive data to show their effectiveness, that isn't collated together with safer cars, better roads, etc.

3. Not directly no, but the contract is far harder to justify at renewal time if the net cost increases.

Political connections? It says 'he was a supporter of Bertie Ahern'. So from that you've deduced there was corruption involved? Really?

Do you need help in understanding the difference between building a hospital or a tram network, and running some speed vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I'd love to know how they're going to park camera vans in the Jack Lynch and Limerick tunnels

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The N4 and then going south on the m50 is a joke. If you do 60 there you'll have someone up your rear flashing etc. I get why it needs to be 60 for liffey valley and others going south on m50. The RSA needs to be started again, and huge emphasis on culture change, drink driving is vastly reduced, but mobile phone usage is rampant.

Proper shock ads required, follow up on crashes, attribute blame and reasons for crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

AhHaor wrote: »
    Proper shock ads required, follow up on crashes, attribute blame and reasons for crash.

The graphic ads need to come back. The one always on with the mother, nurse etc. has lost any impact it might have had. Agree entirely on the cause of a crash being released.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The N4 and then going south on the m50 is a joke. If you do 60 there you'll have someone up your rear flashing etc. I get why it needs to be 60 for liffey valley and others going south on m50.
    Overhead cameras might work there but you obviously couldn't place a van there.
    As for someone flashing you, having used this stretch for many years, people generally only flash you if you're in the right lane of the two slip lanes (as you leave the N4). If you're not overtaking then you shouldn't be in the right lane.
    But lane discipline is one of the many things that Irish drivers don't have difficulty with.
    The RSA needs to be started again, and huge emphasis on culture change, drink driving is vastly reduced, but mobile phone usage is rampant.

We all know the reasons. Speed, tiredness, drink, drugs and so on. Doesn't make a difference though - people continue to do these things.
    Currently the RSA are showing drivers ads about giving space when passing cyclists. Still doesn't mean that people listen and continue to pass dangerously.
    lertsnim wrote: »
    The graphic ads need to come back. The one always on with the mother, nurse etc. has lost any impact it might have had. Agree entirely on the cause of a crash being released.
    Personally I'm not convinced that adverts have much of an effect. AFAIK, enforcement is the only solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Overhead cameras might work there but you obviously couldn't place a van there.
    As for someone flashing you, having used this stretch for many years, people generally only flash you if you're in the right lane of the two slip lanes (as you leave the N4). If you're not overtaking then you shouldn't be in the right lane.
    But lane discipline is one of the many things that Irish drivers don't have difficulty with.

I'm talking about the N4 as you approach the split for two m50 directions and town, that 2 lane slip road is actually 30km/hr!

I'm talking about the N4 as you approach the split for two m50 directions and town, that 2 lane slip road is actually 30km/hr!
    I am aware of where you're referring to and it is 60km/h.
    Further on it drops to 30km/h and I also understand why it is reduced.
    Maybe think why the speed limit is set at that level (hint: something to do with a big tight bend?).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The N4 and then going south on the m50 is a joke. If you do 60 there you'll have someone up your rear flashing etc. I get why it needs to be 60 for liffey valley and others going south on m50. The RSA needs to be started again, and huge emphasis on culture change, drink driving is vastly reduced, but mobile phone usage is rampant.

I've never had a problem keeping to the speed limit there and feel it should be 60 from further back, as people merging from the Hermitage are expected to merge into an 80 zone, that pretty much immediately reduces to a 60 zone. But sure screw'em they can flash all they want, I'll only slow down if someone is trying to push me.

Even this morning, I was coming up to a yield and slowing down, to allow the other drivers with right of way to proceed, but lo and behold, they flash to "permit me to pass," and everyone gives out to me for yielding.

Incident reports need to be published, so we can all learn from the causes of accidents. It annoys me greatly that it isn't done. I genuinely don't care who's to blame. It can all be anonymised, Driver A/B/C whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

firstlight wrote: »
    Look there s a road I use everyday
    The Cavan road towards Dublin
    Speed drops to 100 from 120 and within 100/200 yards there's a camera
    Catch cars out
    And trucks that might be on the limiter at 88/89
    No change in the road
    Purely there for revenue

Then the roads that aren't safe they have at 100 kph
    Now you couldn't do that if you tryed because your car would be destroyed from the dips and hollows in the road

The whole road speed network needs a revision
    Alter speed s on roads that are safe to do so

Perhaps an altered speed zone on motorways when their clear and empty you can do 150

Modern cars will happily sit at that speed and be safe

It's not the cars that are the problem - its the fools behind the wheel whose sense of entitlement / macho / self importance so often far outweighs their driving competence.

Take even a single metric - the number of incidents on the M50 every day of every week. Drivers can't even drive safely at 50kph for sh*t. What makes you think they'll do any better with the same proven incompetence at 150kph ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I saw on the site, these zones are available for Google maps.
    Is it possible to download them on my Google maps?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I see two lines on the m3, has there ever been published locations on that motorway before?are these vans going to be regular?. I've been commuting on it for years and never seen a speed van or gardai car even. I go during commuting hours so maybe they feel pity for poor sods going to work.always looks like less speed traps when driving during rush hour. Obviously traffic would reduce their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thanks

It's on the Garda website

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I can see the roads on the website. But is there a way that Google maps will alert me when I enter the camera zone?
    Vicxas wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Duckjob wrote: »
    It's not the cars that are the problem - its the fools behind the wheel whose sense of entitlement / macho / self importance so often far outweighs their driving competence.

Take even a single metric - the number of incidents on the M50 every day of every week. Drivers can't even drive safely at 50kph for sh*t. What makes you think they'll do any better with the same proven incompetence at 150kph ?
    I know it's the cabbages behind the wheel,best thing I did lately was buy a dash cam,great investment

Sure they won't,they will still drive about 65/75 in a 150 zone,like stationary objects on the motorway

I was joining a motorway today and no joke got stuck behind a woman tryna join onto a 120 zone at about 40/45 kph

Looked like a startled fox when I passed,had to look twice to make sure she was alive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks
    Vicxas wrote: »

I am sure the poster was asking how to do it?
    I would also like to know how it is done to Google maps or Waze.

Might this be of use?
    Anyhow, these will point to the location of the go Safe vans but won't the gardai continue to use their own vans in other locations. Plus they have their usual speed traps and ANPR cars with speed detection built in.
    So if you plan on exceeding the speed limit then maybe focus more on what's ahead and around you rather than what you phone is showing!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Is there even any lee way with the go safe vans any more?how much over would you have to be doing to warrant a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Looks like the boys in blue are sitting on the overpasses now, instead of the on ramps,
    as they dont need to chase you down anymore. Ive seen a few on the m9.

I think the jig is up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

Is this map of the 'safety camera' zones working for anyone?

https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html

The older version illustrated the roads where cameras could be located, but this version is just a regular map (on Chrome/Firefox on Windwos/Android).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

The older version illustrated the roads where cameras could be located, but this version is just a regular map (on Chrome/Firefox on Windows/Android).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DaDumTish wrote: »
    Looks like the boys in blue are sitting on the overpasses now, instead of the on ramps,

I think the jig is up...

Yes there will be some amount of head scratching going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When I click on the link I'm just getting a normal map of Ireland?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

When i use the map of the zones, the new and old are the same colour, anyone else having the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

DaDumTish wrote: »

I think the jig is up...

Aye, it seems the baloney they spin about flashing other drivers because they could be criminals or disqualified drivers was a load of BS, a lot of these will slip through the net if they aren’t stopping the drivers.

I can tell you i’ll burn out my headlights to warn drivers. It’s really people versus the cops these days

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

The older version illustrated the roads where cameras could be located, but this version is just a regular map (on Chrome/Firefox on Windows/Android).

I have the same issue, I get the google map but no markings to highlight the new areas.

The older version illustrated the roads where cameras could be located, but this version is just a regular map (on Chrome/Firefox on Windwos/Android).

Not working for me either. Just a blank map.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I can tell you i’ll burn out my headlights to warn drivers. It’s really people versus the cops these days
    Honestly, are you really old enough to have a licence? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Micky 32 wrote: »

Speak for yourself. With the death toll on the roads, I'm with the cops on this one.

Advertisement