Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCU blog discontinued

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Col Dal wrote: »
    I think by now your manifest prejudice and bias is clear to see and sad to witness. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement anyway.

It is indeed not rocket science

I was referencing phnompenhchess condescending statement earlier. Like I said, I encourage more people to talk about chess, whether its on one forum or another.

I do believe the ICU should have had a forum (years ago though) however now maybe a facebook group or twitter account might be more appropriate (forums don't typically tend to reach a large target audience).

The site is a good long term goal and certainly something that could be a good resource for Irish Chess. However at the moment, as a casual chess player that just enjoys the game, I'm not sure what the purpose of the new forum is. I never read the LCU blog and I'm not sure if it's aimed at replacing the LCU blog or aimed at unifying chess enthusiasts of any level.
    yet nobody else took up the baton and the fact that someone with such a background and experience of chess has tried to do something at all, is doubtless something that apparently intimidates you to such an extent that you jump to wild and untrue conclusions or impressions, far from reality.

Fair enough, you are not keen on this development.

phnompenhchess hasn't given a good impression of the site to me which would deter me from going onto it. I'm all for development of Irish Chess, however currently this forum offers more activity and more topics (not just chess - other categories). I didn't read the LCU blog, but a common problem is how it was moderated, people's comments, etc. With independent mods here (and the highly political nature of individuals in chess) it seems like a nice independent forum.

I suppose it depends; my view is trying to get new players playing (that's why I think this might be better). Others would be of the view of improving the current pool (that's where I think your forum fits in) and others just want to dedicate everything towards Ireland's first home-grown grandmaster.
    It helps to have a sense of humor about these things, don't you agree?

It fairness this whole thing isn't exactly the highest priority in Irish Chess. I do still believe the more places to talk about chess the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I suspect you are a great blogger/forum warrior but as regards chess matters, Id say your opinion is of so little value as to be next to worthless and thus the less said by you about chess the better for you and chess.

That's a forum I would avoid like the plague and encourage others to avoid.
    Your still welcome over on irishchesscogitations.com anytime but just be prepared to face even more critical comments than mine from others if you start spouting off the type of ill-informed nonsense you have engaged with here.

If that is what the forum is going to be like except worse; I'd feel unwelcome and uncomfortable posting anything.

As a chess tip I would suggest you lose the English and play E4 main lines for a while. And likewise lose the Slav and Caro Kann and try the QGD and the Sicilian, French and or E5 for a while.

Don't worry about memory and try just playing and gain expereince with as many different types of position as you can.

That's a forum I would read and would encourage others to go read. I'd feel welcome and comfortable posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think this discussion has run it course. If people want it reopened you can PM myself or one of the other moderators for the forum.

LiamMc has posted a list of Irish chess sites which people should investigate.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84988125&postcount=6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement