Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Got the Dublin coach from Dublin CC to Kilkenny this evening- all in all for 10 euro single it was good.
    Left bang on time at 16.00, arrived in KK at 17.35 which was very impressive considering the time they waste pussy footing around at the Red Cow Luas (why not just collect people and leave?). Plus roadworks on the M7.
    The Coach was ancient of course, smelly and carpet coming apart! They smell like clothes smell after a boozy night on the town! Could be a super service if they upgraded the coaches. Assume they will have to do that soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

road_high wrote: »
    Got the Dublin coach from Dublin CC to Kilkenny this evening- all in all for 10 euro single it was good.
    Left bang on time at 16.00, arrived in KK at 17.35 which was very impressive considering the time they waste pussy footing around at the Red Cow Luas (why not just collect people and leave?). Plus roadworks on the M7.
    The Coach was ancient of course, smelly and carpet coming apart! They smell like clothes smell after a boozy night on the town! Could be a super service if they upgraded the coaches. Assume they will have to do that soon?

It didn’t break down or catch fire then?

It didn’t break down or catch fire then?

No to be fair it flew along!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would be slightly concerned something that worn out flew along.

They can be a bit hit and miss with their service.

I had 4 of them in front of me at the one time at while back while in Kildare.

Feast or famine

• Advertisement

I would be slightly concerned something that worn out flew along.

Now you mention it, it did kind sway side to side slightly for no apparent reason twice on the M9- today wasn't windy and it wasn't passing anything at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

I see DC have 5 181 Reg Merc Tourismos on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I mainly had good experiences with them and most other bus services. The old unreliable buses that break down I find with Bus Eireann and no one else. Dublin Coach's buses seem new and clean by comparison.

Certain routes (like Belfast) get the new ones. The Waterford/Kilkenny route mainly gets the old slop!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Are these to replace some of the 2004 Setra vehicles that are seen operating on the Limerick and Waterford/Cork routes?

They need more than 5 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

In the outside lame holding up traffic presumably.

Does anyone bother going fully to/from Dublin to Cork? I'd imagine the main advantage there must be to serve Waterford to Cork journeys.
    It would be a very long journey to Cork on these older buses when you can get the Aircoach or BE direct down the M8. Must be a good hour longer going via the M9/N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Does anyone bother going fully to/from Dublin to Cork? I'd imagine the main advantage there must be to serve Waterford to Cork journeys.
    It would be a very long journey to Cork on these older buses when you can get the Aircoach or BE direct down the M8. Must be a good hour longer going via the M9/N25.

yeah that's my understanding of it anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I mainly had good experiences with them and most other bus services. The old unreliable buses that break down I find with Bus Eireann and no one else. Dublin Coach's buses seem new and clean by comparison.

Not trying to call You a lair or anything, but I have often seen the DC coaches broken down on the N/M 7, moreso than any CIE coach. I only travel daily from Newbridge to Dublin and back, so cannot comment on any further than Newbridge.

What route you be on as all I see is clapped out scrap.

It's the opposite surely? BE have the nice new buses, Dublin Coach the scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Not trying to call You a lair or anything, but I have often seen the DC coaches broken down on the N/M 7, moreso than any CIE coach. I only travel daily from Newbridge to Dublin and back, so cannot comment on any further than Newbridge.

Same, I often see them broken down just after the M1 off ramp from the airport towards the M50/City Centre.

Certain routes (like Belfast) get the new ones. The Waterford/Kilkenny route mainly gets the old slop!

Think so? You should see the s/crap bangers they use on the Dublin Airport to Portlaoise route.

It's the opposite surely? BE have the nice new buses, Dublin Coach the scrap.

Last year Dublin Coach ordered 5 new Mercedes Coaches which were originally said to be earmarked to replace some of the older coaches in their fleet.

What they did instead was launched a new Belfast route with the 5 coaches to start up what is pretty much a bus war with Aircoach on the corridor leaving at pretty much the same time as Aircoach at either end with ultra cheap ticket prices for a number of months and many promotions.

Meanwhile the passengers on the other routes had to put up with almost 30 vehicles dating back from 2004/2005 that were previously with Aircoach and Stagecoach and had worked hard lives with their former operator.

Out of interest, there was a Vanhool overdecker in Cork last week, while i couldn't see it up close, it looked like one of the 09 batch.

A big change from jaded Setra's.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Last year Dublin Coach ordered 5 new Mercedes Coaches which were originally said to be earmarked to replace some of the older coaches in their fleet.

What they did instead was launched a new Belfast route with the 5 coaches to start up what is pretty much a bus war with Aircoach on the corridor leaving at pretty much the same time as Aircoach at either end with ultra cheap ticket prices for a number of months and many promotions.

Meanwhile the passengers on the other routes had to put up with almost 30 vehicles dating back from 2004/2005 that were previously with Aircoach and Stagecoach and had worked hard lives with their former operator.

I wouldn't have much faith in the king long from 2014 either.

They took in some 2009 vanhool double deckers which look well.

Think so? You should see the s/crap bangers they use on the Dublin Airport to Portlaoise route.

I assume same ones, Setras as KK/Waterford route then? Or do you mean the double deckers?

I'd imagine 5 buses is a drop in the ocean compared to what they need to replace the lot!

I wouldn't have much faith in the king long from 2014 either.

They took in some 2009 vanhool double deckers which look well.

Yeah - they took some 2009 Vanhools from the same place as they took the 2004 Neoplans from - Stagecoach / Oxford Tube so I'd say those vehicles will be better than what they are replacing, however they too would have had hard lives before they came to Dublin Coach.

Yeah - they took some 2009 Vanhools from the same place as they took the 2004 Neoplans from - Stagecoach / Oxford Tube so I'd say those vehicles will be better than what they are replacing, however they too would have had hard lives before they came to Dublin Coach.

Hard lives in sure.

They do some hell of a lot of driving in the UK.

I'd imagine 5 buses is a drop in the ocean compared to what they need to replace the lot!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they ended up on the Belfast route to replace the vehicles dating from 2016 and 2017 on that route or used for another new route.

I hope I'm wrong however but I get the impression that on the other routes where Dublin Coach don't have intense competition they feel they can just get away with running an old fleet.

I assume same ones, Setras as KK/Waterford route then? Or do you mean the double deckers?

Actually seen both versions broken down over the last few years R_H.

On another note is there any responsibility on DC if they cause someone to miss a flight? Their route 726 is totally modelled on Portlaoise to DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

Aircoach are putting new coaches on the 705x Belfast route anytime now so i wonder will DC put the 181 Reg coaches on the M1 route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Aircoach are putting new coaches on the 705x Belfast route anytime now so i wonder will DC put the 181 Reg coaches on the M1 route

Of course they will. Why would you expect otherwise?

• Advertisement

I hope they don't though because there's no need to replace 2017 coaches on that route with 2018 coaches, especially when they are exactly the same spec.

There is however a need to give there long suffering customers on the other route something newer rather than stick two fingers up to them once again.

That's why I hope Dublin Coach don't win the battle on the Belfast route - will they neglect this route too when they fight off the competition in favour of the next big thing?

Advertisement