Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Seve OB wrote: »
    really?
    so i can play bruen for one club and purcell for another?

i would of thought i could only play where my handicap is kept

found the link in my comments :)

https://www.facebook.com/golfingunionofireland/photos/a.845225648927964.1073741828.725667640883766/1533491446768044/?type=3&theatre

Andrew Norrby asked the same Q in the above link on FB (hope it works) & GUI confirmed it's ok:

"You declare for your club in one competition and if you're a member of second club you can declare for them in another competition.

You can't play, for example, Senior Cup for two different clubs in one season, but you could play Senior Cup for one and Barton Shield for another."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Fair play Kenneth.

Here is my situation, I'm declaring to play for one club in the Purcell, but I can't make the first round. If my club gets through the stroke play I will almost definately play in the matchplay the following day.

If they don't get through day one, as I haven't played for them, can I then play for the other club? Other club still will not have completed the first round.

As in, is there an official declaration? or is it just by virtue of playing that you declare?

Fair play Kenneth.

Here is my situation, I'm declaring to play for one club in the Purcell, but I can't make the first round. If my club gets through the stroke play I will almost definately play in the matchplay the following day.

If they don't get through day one, as I haven't played for them, can I then play for the other club? Other club still will not have completed the first round.

As in, is there an official declaration? or is it just by virtue of playing that you declare?

I'd say drop the GUI a msg on their page on FB to get a clear answer. it's your intent to declare for one club over the other & use the other as a fail safe option but I doubt there's an actual declaration form pre-comp

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

I'd say you are grand. You only really commit when your name goes down on an entry sheet that is handed it to the Officials on the day of play

just want to try and play as much team stuff as possible.

of course i have to try and get picked!!!!!

• Advertisement

just want to try and play as much team stuff as possible.

of course i have to try and get picked!!!!!

you're off 11 (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere), it's a strange one with the rule change re Bruen/Purcell and just being able to make both/either. I'm trying to get on both teams aswell & currently partnered with a 5handicapper for Bruen & things are going well... looked at the Purcell team & there's a fair few 11s looking for a decent 14/15handicapper but I don't think there's many out there for us.

like you I'm just mad to get in as much golf as possible & the team events are great craic

you're off 11 (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere), it's a strange one with the rule change re Bruen/Purcell and just being able to make both/either. I'm trying to get on both teams aswell & currently partnered with a 5handicapper for Bruen & things are going well... looked at the Purcell team & there's a fair few 11s looking for a decent 14/15handicapper but I don't think there's many out there for us.

like you I'm just mad to get in as much golf as possible & the team events are great craic

yea 11.
    I guess it is just down to the club and the range of golfers they have. some clubs might be the opposite and have loads of 14 lads and no 11's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

question about purcell eligibility for this year. i believe that it is your lowest handicap of the previous calendar year which decides your eligibility. others have arguend with me that it was changed to be what your handicap was at the end of the calendar year regardless of how low you had gone.

am i right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

slingerz wrote: »
    question about purcell eligibility for this year. i believe that it is your lowest handicap of the previous calendar year which decides your eligibility. others have arguend with me that it was changed to be what your handicap was at the end of the calendar year regardless of how low you had gone.

am i right or wrong?

From the rules:

"No player shall be eligible to compete whose playing handicap was less than 11 during the previous calendar

year. The combined handicap of each pair, based on their lowest playing handicaps in the preceding calendar,

shall not be less than 25"

slingerz wrote: »

am i right or wrong?

you are right.
    lowest handicap in previous year must not hve been less than 11.

10.5 is OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

All Ireland cup and shield finals on 21-23 Sep in Thurles.

good luck getting a hotel if anyone qualifies.

The same weekend as Feile 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

Caddies for Bruen and Purcell??
    Heard from someone that you cant have a caddie with you for these competitions.

Is this a new rule?
    Im pretty sure when i played a few years ago that a few players had people with them handing clubs and pushing trolleys etc.

ec5050 wrote: »
    Caddies for Bruen and Purcell??
    Heard from someone that you cant have a caddie with you for these competitions.

Is this a new rule?
    Im pretty sure when i played a few years ago that a few players had people with them handing clubs and pushing trolleys etc.

it's true, new rule this year along with handicap changes (17 to 15 & 27 to 25) & Purcell is scotch now

I wouldnt be well informed on these comps but im on the panel for it this year.
    Id imagine that this is a new rule that players may not be aware of.

Would there be an issue with a player having someone nearby to chat away with between shots once that person doesnt assist in any play??
    Basically where the person just walks with the players

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I would think it is okay to have a chat with spectators - but I would suggest not to mention anything in relation to your match. Just in-case! where are you playing ?

ec5050 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be well informed on these comps but im on the panel for it this year.
    Id imagine that this is a new rule that players may not be aware of.

Would there be an issue with a player having someone nearby to chat away with between shots once that person doesnt assist in any play??
    Basically where the person just walks with the players

I've no idea but i'm sure there's no rule against supporters following a match closely.

I think (& I could be wrong) but the reasons for the change were pace of play (2 sets of eyes is enough rather than 4) & a rumour I also heard was the host clubs (not saying this years in particular) didn't want to be forking out on twice as much food after the rounds

I would think it is okay to have a chat with spectators - but I would suggest not to mention anything in relation to your match. Just in-case! where are you playing ?

Ya safest way.
    On in Adare, a nice fall of rain overnight and today. Hopefully it stays dry tomorrow.

I've no idea but i'm sure there's no rule against supporters following a match closely.

I think (& I could be wrong) but the reasons for the change were pace of play (2 sets of eyes is enough rather than 4) & a rumour I also heard was the host clubs (not saying this years in particular) didn't want to be forking out on twice as much food after the rounds

My thoughts were if it was a wet day that having a caddie there to hold an umbrella and towel would be helpful. But under normal conditions theres hardly a need for one.

Best of Luck - hopefully weather will be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Course we are playing tomorrow - Bunkers out of play and placing everywhere! :eek:

Madness . . . Middle of May . . . very frustrating!

• Advertisement

Very frustrating indeed - lots of courses around could hold it - Dont understand why branch lets it go ahead.

Every shot hit last 2 weeks in practice plugged!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Which club is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

out tomorrow as well. hoping the recent dry spell has helped the course be some bit dry

kopkidda wrote: »
    Which club is this?

Castleisland GC

jtown wrote: »

Very frustrating indeed - lots of courses around could hold it - Dont understand why branch lets it go ahead.

Every shot hit last 2 weeks in practice plugged!!
    I'd say the reason it is going ahead is probably because the host club won't offer up the course for an alternate date, losing out on green fee revenue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Castleisland GC

Disaster......

Balbriggan hosting regional Pierce Purcell tomorrow and no placing, greens immaculate, so I'm been told.

kopkidda wrote: »
    Disaster......

Balbriggan hosting regional Pierce Purcell tomorrow and no placing, greens immaculate, so I'm been told.

Correct and right. Good luck to anyone playing in Balbriggan. It's a great test of golf so play sensibility.

a rumour I also heard was the host clubs (not saying this years in particular) didn't want to be forking out on twice as much food after the rounds

Clubs pay for their own food and beverages at these events. I would imagine this decision is solely based on pace of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Castleisland GC

Don't think it is fair to be naming/criticising clubs for the condition of the course. Not sure any course in Kerry could take the brine this weekend without placing outside of links courses.
    Plus what course would be avail for whole weekend at short notice.

• Advertisement

Exactly wrote: »
    Clubs pay for their own food and beverages at these events. I would imagine this decision is solely based on pace of play.

didn't know this, I did say it was a rumour I heard & not fact.

tbh I did think soup & sandwich were laid on by home club

Advertisement