Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

For hue and Alexa, the single best way of managing them is with routines. Nothing comes close.

Use your Hue scenes and with one phrase you can set multiple scenes through out the house at once

Asking Alexa to manage individual lights fails more than not

Alexa's integration with Hive is shockingly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I’ve bought a few echo dots on Black Friday at half price for the teenagers rooms for Xmas, thought they’d be a nice present for alarms (theyre not allowed their phones at night), timers for study etc.
    We have a family Spotify account where they all have they’re own profiles, my question is how do I set up multiple Alexa dots under my amazon account so that they can all have their own profiles for their echoes and Spotify?
    Has anyone tried that or what’s best practice, I’d like to be able,to drop in as well to call them for dinner etc

Appreciate any advice

Download the App, you can mess with all the settings there. Put all the dots on your account and name the dots individually.

Dropping in is easy, you can just ask her to drop in to bedroom echo (or what ever name you give it)

Alexa can set up voice profiles, just ask her to learn my voice. She'll know who is talking then. You can connect other spotify accounts by saying alexa, spotify connect.

I've made routines so if my daughter wants to listen ill ask to play music for Lily and it will play her playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just noticed on the Routines section of the app. Wait option.
    This allows a time period to elapse between different actions on the Routine.
    EG. 'bedtime routine' allows you to Turn off TV. Wait 5 mins and then downstairs lights will turn off. Wait 2 minutes then stairs lights. Etc etc etc.
    Pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Black Friday Echo Spot arrived yesterday (must say the new An Post delivery tracking is really good).
    First video Echo, will take a while to get used to having the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭cullenswood

paulbok wrote: »
    Black Friday Echo Spot arrived yesterday (must say the new An Post delivery tracking is really good).
    First video Echo, will take a while to get used to having the screen.
    Is the screen a touch screen type... i.e. Can you select stuff from it or is it just the same buttons as the normal Alexa? It would be handy to be able to flick through Spotify a etc if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Is the screen a touch screen type... i.e. Can you select stuff from it or is it just the same buttons as the normal Alexa? It would be handy to be able to flick through Spotify a etc if it was.

Its a wolf in sheep's clothes :)
    I bought the show for spotify specifically, thinking the interface would give same features as the app on the smartphone. search, add to queue, browse through tracks.

But basically, it can only do the things that you can do by voice. pause, skip, play etc

I suppose the good thing that its only software, so anything is possible. Maybe they will update it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭cullenswood

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Its a wolf in sheep's clothes :)
    I bought the show for spotify specifically, thinking the interface would give same features as the app on the smartphone. search, add to queue, browse through tracks.

But basically, it can only do the things that you can do by voice. pause, skip, play etc

I suppose the good thing that its only software, so anything is possible. Maybe they will update it in the future.

Thanks for that, will hold off for now so. Alexa can be a pain on Spotify sometimes, which means I have to go to use the app. Was hoping this would be a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Dot arrived yesterday a few days late. Set up was simple. At present, I have it connected to a smart bulb and a Bose soundbar. I have a few smart plugs I need to sort out and connect but this will happen over the weekend if I get time.

I'm very happy with the device and set-up. Need to look into if my Sony tv and xbox one can connect with Alexa.

Dot arrived yesterday a few days late. Set up was simple. At present, I have it connected to a smart bulb and a Bose soundbar. I have a few smart plugs I need to sort out and connect but this will happen over the weekend if I get time.

I'm very happy with the device and set-up. Need to look into if my Sony tv and xbox one can connect with Alexa.

There is an xbox skill, I've not used it but i think it can look for and play videos etc.

The issue with my TV's is it needs a IR blaster. I cant turn it on without the remote but once on i can tell the firestick to open netflix. Kinda pointless since i still need two remotes but i still do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

There is an xbox skill, I've not used it but i think it can look for and play videos etc.

The issue with my TV's is it needs a IR blaster. I cant turn it on without the remote but once on i can tell the firestick to open netflix. Kinda pointless since i still need two remotes but i still do it :)

after typing my post, I looked into xbox skills it seems this is only available in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

after typing my post, I looked into xbox skills it seems this is only available in the US?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys

I want to buy an Amazon echo dot second generation, now there is none available on Amazon UK but could you buy it from Amaxon Germany etc ?

However where would I get Amazon 3 pin plug to stick into echo that is compatible with Ireland ?

Any responses appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

New echo device available, Echo Input. Basically a dot with no speakers that you connect to your existing speakers instead with Jack or Bluetooth.
    Apologies if already posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I want to buy an Amazon echo dot second generation, now there is none available on Amazon UK but could you buy it from Amaxon Germany etc ?

However where would I get Amazon 3 pin plug to stick into echo that is compatible with Ireland ?

2nd gen uses micros usb for power. Any bog standard non-iPhone charger you have lying about the place will work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Check out some Irish retailers, I got a 2nd gen Echo in Argos yesterday

Do people use whisper mode?
    I Found a couple of mentions of it in this thread so it must be available here.
    Problem I'm having is when i try to switch it on with voice command:
    "alexa, turn on whisper mode" - which from searching around seems to be the way to do it. But she treats the command as a smart home feature saying "sorry, what device?" - so she thinks I want to switch on a light or something.

Second way to do it, I believe, is through the app: Settings->Alexa Account->Alexa Voice Responses and there should be an on/off button.
    The only thing I have in there is "Brief mode" setting - which i have switched on.

- I'm pretty sure my app on my phone is the latest, as it very recently changed to the new slicker interface. That definitely happened after people reported using whisper mode in this thread.
    - Also one of my devices, echo show, was installed only about 2 weeks ago, so pretty sure that it has the latest firmware, as it spent a considerable amount of time updating afer installation.
    - And finally, I searched the echo help/support section on amazon and I don't see any mention of whisper mode.

So does it still exist? Was it a trial that has been pulled back?
    thanks

Im on a roll now....(Im still interested in my grievance in the last post)
    Anyone else experience this? When switching on/off lights she misses the first syllable or first word of the device.
    For example:
    Me: Alexa, Extension lights on.
    Alexa: I cannot find a device named "stension lights".

Me: Alexa, downstairs lights on.
    Alexa: I cannot find a device named "stairs lights".

It doesn't happen all the time, but it makes me really angry when it happens :)
    She usually gets it the second time.
    Interestingly, the app doesnt show smart device interactions in the activity log, so I cant see what she thinks i said.

On writing this I may have found the answer to my problem....
    If you look up on the amazon faq how to switch smart devices, the actual phrase it gives:

Alexa, turn on downstairs lights.
    Whereas we tend to say "downstairs lights on"
    I'll try it later. Might have to get used to saying it that way.

Of course, The other solution might be to create identical groups with names "stension lights" and "stairs lights" - but ive piles of groups as it is.

Intersting to know if people have similar issues :)

Ask her to learn your voice, it might help.

I've found it easier to make simple routines.

Alexa, I'm home. Turns on the hall lights, sitting room, kitchen and radio.

Alexa, goodbye. Turns everything off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The problem with one of those could be that it's hearing "AlEXa EXtension lights on" so is discounting the second one as a stutter of saying Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Do people use whisper mode?

It's only available in the US right now.

Im on a roll now....(Im still interested in my grievance in the last post)
    Anyone else experience this? When switching on/off lights she misses the first syllable or first word of the device.
    For example:
    Me: Alexa, Extension lights on.
    Alexa: I cannot find a device named "stension lights".

Me: Alexa, downstairs lights on.
    Alexa: I cannot find a device named "stairs lights".

It doesn't happen all the time, but it makes me really angry when it happens :)
    She usually gets it the second time.
    Interestingly, the app doesnt show smart device interactions in the activity log, so I cant see what she thinks i said.

On writing this I may have found the answer to my problem....
    If you look up on the amazon faq how to switch smart devices, the actual phrase it gives:

Alexa, turn on downstairs lights.
    Whereas we tend to say "downstairs lights on"
    I'll try it later. Might have to get used to saying it that way.

Of course, The other solution might be to create identical groups with names "stension lights" and "stairs lights" - but ive piles of groups as it is.

Intersting to know if people have similar issues :)

Try to speak more naturally.
    e.g. instead of "Alexa, downstairs light on" say "Alexa, turn on the downstairs light". The odd "please" and "thank you" wouldn't hurt either! :pac:

EDIT: I didn't see your update. You got there yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Hi. Maybe I am a victim of advertising and need my expectations adjusted but here is my experience and I would love some feedback and advice as I am getting frustrated trying to get it to work.

I have my echo 2nd gen linked to my fire stick and it adjusts the volume on tv and will open Netflix or will find a film etc. However below are affecting my experience somewhat

when it finds a film I know is on Netflix it is never in the option list only the rent/buy from amazon options appear

Voice commands to play/pause Netflix don’t work

When I use the echo remote I can turn on and off the tv by voice but the echo just says “cannot find device fire tv” even though the command “turn down fire tv” works for the volume

Thanks in advance for any guidance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

d31b0y wrote:
    Try to speak more naturally. e.g. instead of "Alexa, downstairs light on" say "Alexa, turn on the downstairs light". The odd "please" and "thank you" wouldn't hurt either!

LOL :)

With the launch of the Dot v3 Plus v3, any thoughts on the possibility of v3 of the Echo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone elses echo devices not working properly today? Just says sorry I can't help you right now as soon as you say alexa. I'm guessing loads of new devices overloading amazon servers as it's Christmas day

Edit: Yeah apparently there is issues across Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anyone elses echo devices not working properly today? Just says sorry I can't help you right now as soon as you say alexa. I'm guessing loads of new devices overloading amazon servers as it's Christmas day

Edit: Yeah apparently there is issues across Europe

Got one for the teenager and this was a problem. Was cursing myself for not getting one of the google yokes instead but hopefully its just an issue today.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Is Apple Music live as a music service choice yet? Had a look at the streaming options and I could not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

Which is the best smart plug to buy to work with Alexa.. Hive, Philips hue or TP link

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murtimus

jarain wrote: »
    Is Apple Music live as a music service choice yet? Had a look at the streaming options and I could not see it.

Live in the US but not anywhere else as far as I know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mondo44 wrote: »
    Which is the best smart plug to buy to work with Alexa.. Hive, Philips hue or TP link

I didn't know Philips had one. The TP link and amazons own are very good. Cover most features you can think of.

TP link 110 does energy monitoring, 100 model does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

I use TP link plugs and bulbs. Work perfect and easy to connect.

• Advertisement

I got woox plugs on sale for about £7.50, normally around 15-16. They work as good as the £25 amazon one i got.

Advertisement