Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

limnam wrote: »
    Sorry if this is very basic but couldn't find a way to do this outside the app.

If you're in Room A and the dot in Room B is playing say the radio.

Is it possible to tell the dot in Room A to turn of Room B?

If I'm just playing music on one at a time... I tend to say "Alexa resume spotify in living room", "living room" is the name of the echo in there. Hope it helps, or "resume everywhere" if you have a music group setup called everywhere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

Yep, just ask Alexa to do as you said:
    "Alexa, stop the music on <name of other dot>"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

I know Spotify premium and deezer work on the dot when you ask alexa to play music. I can't find if YouTube premium would work I.e. Alexa play one by u2 currently plays on deezer but I was thinking of moving to YouTube but only if the same command works, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭south

webpal wrote: »
    I know Spotify premium and deezer work on the dot when you ask alexa to play music. I can't find if YouTube premium would work I.e. Alexa play one by u2 currently plays on deezer but I was thinking of moving to YouTube but only if the same command works, anyone know?

YouTube doesn't work on Amazon devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Back to the same issue with routines on the dot. I can play Spotify by resuming it, but if i ask her to "play my music", which should play my playlist, she just sits there. Same if i ask for an artist.

Pretty annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Newbie question, I have an echo and an amazon smart plug. Where in the app can I set a schedule for Alexa to turn on the smart plug for the coffee machine every morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Apple Music coming to Echo devices. Hallelujah

http://flip.it/ZWu-.w

Thought this would never happen. 🀞 arrives here on 17th too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone find bluetooth connections to the dot's flaky?

They seem to drop out after 10 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone know if I can unauthorize Spotify on just one device?

Set the father in law up with an echo on my account but didn't think things through and he keeps unknowingly interrupting our Spotify. I want to unauthorize his device if possible and let him default to Amazon music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

s8n wrote: »
    Newbie question, I have an echo and an amazon smart plug. Where in the app can I set a schedule for Alexa to turn on the smart plug for the coffee machine every morning ?

look under routines to schedule it, or if usting tp-link plug go into kasa app and makes schedules there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Voice recognition now available through the app. Create a voice profile for every user to get tailored responses to flash briefings, music etc.
    Nice addition

anyone know what might be causing issue with alexa and hue lights not changing scene or colors of lights ? ive got 2 second gen dots and they seems just to dim ,switch lights.Setup 3rd gen on separate account in different room and it changes light colors but not the scenes, completely bummed out with setups.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody having connectivity issues the last week? All my echos are giving me red rings intermittently and can't connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

antodeco wrote: »
    Anybody having connectivity issues the last week? All my echos are giving me red rings intermittently and can't connect.

That happens mine an odd time, checked wifi signal and its fine so Ive no explanation...main reason I dont feel I can rely on Alexa to manage lighting on its own

368100 wrote: »
    That happens mine an odd time, checked wifi signal and its fine so Ive no explanation...main reason I dont feel I can rely on Alexa to manage lighting on its own

That and mine never seems to know which light bulb I'm talking about! :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

With the exception of this week,all 3 echos have been flawless working with my Hues, Wemos and Sonoffs. I think she has learnt my accent haha

antodeco wrote: »
    With the exception of this week,all 3 echos have been flawless working with my Hues, Wemos and Sonoffs. I think she has learnt my accent haha

I think I have to re-think my naming convention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

That and mine never seems to know which light bulb I'm talking about! :pac:

Check the Alexa app for multiple versions of the same light. This usually happens if you have the eg Hue app skill enabled and used the Alexa discovery to find smart devices. Doing that finds each device twice so she never knows which one you want even though they are the same light and it always works for me on second ask

Anyone know if it's possible to use the free spotify that comes with vodafone for echo's ?

paulbok wrote: »
    Check the Alexa app for multiple versions of the same light. This usually happens if you have the eg Hue app skill enabled and used the Alexa discovery to find smart devices. Doing that finds each device twice so she never knows which one you want even though they are the same light and it always works for me on second ask

yep there was some duplicates that i'd removed but even if i have a few different ones but all use say "bedroom x" it seems to get confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anyone know if it's possible to use the free spotify that comes with vodafone for echo's ?

AFAIK once its spotify premium then it works fine :)

Got my Woox plugs, they are pretty decent, nice and small and easy to set up (when they work) most connected after a few seconds but other kept failing until I reset the phone. Might just be that I was doing 6 one after the other, there might just have been too much going on.

Have been setting up groups and routines all evening. It's all great until the missus turns off the lamps using the switch when leaving in the morning and ruins it all :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Anyone get the dominos skill to work, I can't get it to link to my dominos account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Anyone get the dominos skill to work, I can't get it to link to my dominos account.

I did, but it keeps beating me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I'm having problems with alexa recognising my hue bulbs. If I ask "Alexa turn on sitting room lights" it says "a few things share that name, which one do you want?" But it works fine when I ask to turn on all lights.

Any ideas ?

Edit: not at home right now to check but I don't think "Alexa lights on" works either

I'm having problems with alexa recognising my hue bulbs. If I ask "Alexa turn on sitting room lights" it says "a few things share that name, which one do you want?" But it works fine when I ask to turn on all lights.

Any ideas ?

Edit: not at home right now to check but I don't think "Alexa lights on" works either

Might not be hearing the sitting room part properly and focussing on the lights request.

Have you any groups set up? I have two sitting room lamps one called Sitting Room big lamp and one called Sitting room small lamp, way too long. I made a group call Sitting room. So I just say "Alexa, sitting room on" and both come on.

I've been trying to set up simpler routines. Like "Alexa, I'm home" turns on the Hall lights, sitting room, kitchen lights, and starts the radio on Today FM.

"Alexa, Good night" turns off everything bar the hall lights, and "Alexa, Goodbye" switches everything off.

room lights words confuses the heck out of alexa dot check if you have other similar named devices and just change names, id say everyone who has more then few plugs and lights in the house experience similar issues as naming small light desk light takes second to trigger which device response.

Any ideas ?

I've the same problems and it's driving me up the walls.

Took me ages to realise i was turning on the heating when trying to turn on the kids light :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I've the same problems and it's driving me up the walls.

Took me ages to realise i was turning on the heating when trying to turn on the kids light :o

The most annoying part for me is that it DID work, then just decided not to anymore.

I guess I'll have to tinker with the routine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I’ve bought a few echo dots on Black Friday at half price for the teenagers rooms for Xmas, thought they’d be a nice present for alarms (theyre not allowed their phones at night), timers for study etc.
    We have a family Spotify account where they all have they’re own profiles, my question is how do I set up multiple Alexa dots under my amazon account so that they can all have their own profiles for their echoes and Spotify?
    Has anyone tried that or what’s best practice, I’d like to be able,to drop in as well to call them for dinner etc

Appreciate any advice

Advertisement