Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occlusion Training

Options
  • 02-08-2020 2:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else using occlusion bands while strength training?

I’ve been using them on my arms and legs for certain exercises and you definitely feel the pump after. Finding the sweet spot tightness wise is the challenge

Anyone else do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Did it as part of a practical lecture during my masters. Felt weird and made me really sore for a few days afterwards.

Guy who was giving the lecture is one of the leading publishers on the topic, and as far as he was concerned, its main benefits are for training during an injury, when heavy loads can't be used. As far as I know, there's no evidence that it works any better than traditional resistance training.

You also need to be very careful when you are messing with bloodflow to an area. There is a risk of things like nerve damage if pressure is not applied appropriately or for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I had a class on it (one lecture not a module) when i was training to get my PT qualification.

We had an anatomy and physiology module and we learned about systemic and pulmonary blood flow. You have to only restrict systemic blood flow. And you can only be occluded for 5 mins top.

In reality its kind of not so useful ..i mean you can't occlude muscles in your back can you?

You are not going to be able to restrict your systemic blood flow totally but you will restrict it.

The knack ..is getting it above the muscle you are training ...the tightness isn't hard to measure ..its the spot ..it doesn't have to be THAT tight. People think you have to just stop blood flow to the area ..you don't ...just restrict it a little will have an effect too and be safer. Dont make the bands super tight..get them in the right spot.

Not sure if i buy into it etc. As cill 94 said ...i dunno if its better than anything else you do already ...the fitness industry is always coming out with mad things. And yes you can cause nerve damage soft tissue damage etc...and worse if you have health issues.

Better to have them too loose than too tight.

Be safe ...I think the worry is people would think restricted means cut off systemic blood flow. DONT DO THAT...you are still meant to have SOME systemic blood flow. Its just meant to slow it down.

So you never attempt to do anything but slow down the systemic blood slow. Supposedly its useful if you can't lift heavy. But i am not sure doing it on an injured area is a good idea either.

Advertisement