Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Joe Brolly today in.the Sun Indo said he doesn't give any chance that GAA games will be played this year. Forget behind closed doors too he says. It made for sobering reading. I hope he's wrong but at this stage it's more than likely game over for 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A vaccine may be a while away but if a drug to reduce its affects is found, we may be able to start apart and have crowd again.

This drug might be a lot closer than a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not looking good **** it anyway but isn't it better to cancel it all instead of risking it and suddenly back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

I wonder would the powers that be, cancel the intercounty championships for the year and start off the club championship in august with clubs going back training in july and finish off the whole lot in the year and have all Ireland club championship in the first week in December in croker, this would give the club championship a bit of a impetus and do the game wonders at club level as there would be big crowds and players will be fresh and chomping as the bit and this will lead us into a really good intercounty championship in 2021.

cosatron wrote: »
    I wonder would the powers that be, cancel the intercounty championships for the year and start off the club championship in august with clubs going back training in july and finish off the whole lot in the year and have all Ireland club championship in the first week in December in croker, this would give the club championship a bit of a impetus and do the game wonders at club level as there would be big crowds and players will be fresh and chomping as the bit and this will lead us into a really good intercounty championship in 2021.

Big crowds? Isnt that the reason the intercounty cant/wont go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

At this point I don't think there will be a championship. But surely the most viable thing would be inter county behind closed doors, take hurling for example you're looking at 35 teams across all Senior intercounty grades and say if there was 30 on a panel then that's 1,050 players playing 48 games approx between them.

In Dublin alone, I think there must be 100 teams and about and something like 10 games played in 9 or 10 championships giving. Assuming 20 players per team thats 2,000 players playing 90-100 games so you've doubled the total already with another 30 counties (granted of varying sizes) still to go.

So from a point of view of which would have more risk or impact associated with it then it's by far and away the club championships once crowds are banned for inter county. Hardybuck made a very good point re the media and sponsorship revenue on the Waterford thread which stood at ~20m last year.

Considering most of the 47.5m they generated from attendances and the Croke Park company (mostly the concerts staged there) if they were to forego all of that it 67.5/73.9m or 91%. Now I'm sure theres a certain amount of money locked in by contracts and indeed expenses significantly reduced as well but it's still staggering and something that will have a large effect on the entire membership.

So to be honest while I wouldn't be enthused by a closed doors championship I think it could be necessary to help ease the financial burden that will be felt by the membership in the aftermath of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

How much do Dublin have in their backroom team between coaches, selectors, physios, and what not.? That would be over 20. Then a panel of 26 players. A referee, linesmen, umpires, and possible cameraman if shown on TV. Then 26 players on the opposite team. It would be hitting the 100 mark, even without fans.
    They would all have to be tested, a player could have underlying condition like asthmatics and would be exempt.
    If a player got a serious injury could hospitals deal with them since most would be occupied with covid 19?

At this point I don't think there will be a championship. But surely the most viable thing would be inter county behind closed doors, take hurling for example you're looking at 35 teams across all Senior intercounty grades and say if there was 30 on a panel then that's 1,050 players playing 48 games approx between them.

In Dublin alone, I think there must be 100 teams and about and something like 10 games played in 9 or 10 championships giving. Assuming 20 players per team thats 2,000 players playing 90-100 games so you've doubled the total already with another 30 counties (granted of varying sizes) still to go.

So from a point of view of which would have more risk or impact associated with it then it's by far and away the club championships once crowds are banned for inter county. Hardybuck made a very good point re the media and sponsorship revenue on the Waterford thread which stood at ~20m last year.

Considering most of the 47.5m they generated from attendances and the Croke Park company (mostly the concerts staged there) if they were to forego all of that it 67.5/73.9m or 91%. Now I'm sure theres a certain amount of money locked in by contracts and indeed expenses significantly reduced as well but it's still staggering and something that will have a large effect on the entire membership.

So to be honest while I wouldn't be enthused by a closed doors championship I think it could be necessary to help ease the financial burden that will be felt by the membership in the aftermath of this.

If iintercounty was to go ahead behind closed doors would the GAA not still receive the 20 million for media and sponsorship money that it received last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

GAA cannot be conducted behind closed doors.

If any sport is to be played behind closed doors you need everyone involved, players, coaches, media, backroom etc all isolated for the duration of the competition.

You can't do that in an amateur sport where people have jobs etc away from the sport.

You could try it Inna professional sport where the players are contracted to teams, but not in amateur.

Seriously we have to forget about GAA at every level for the rest of 2020, that's the grim reality of it.

Yes, it's not worth the risk. And the GAA saying it could be cost them 60 million. They made plenty from Sky, Super 8s, All Ireland finals replays. They haven't done too bad for the years.

• Advertisement

Can't multi quote on the phone but

1. Yes, the 20 million would be available to them if they were played behind closed doors. They might even have some ad hoc advertising revenue that could be maximised given the greater audience. Scrapping inter county in favour of clubs means foregoing that.

2. The assumption would be that the Government would approve some level of sport to resume in a few months time. The assumptions regarding self isolation of teams is based on the current landscape of the pandemic, that could also change. We just don't know ultimately.

Obviously it is far from certain even unlikely there'll be any sport this summer, my point is that if it comes to a choice between club and inter county in the short term then I think Inter County should be prioritized in these exceptional circumstances.

3. Point about GAA has made enough money the last few years does not understand how the GAA distributes their income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rrs wrote: »
    How much do Dublin have in their backroom team between coaches, selectors, physios, and what not.? That would be over 20. Then a panel of 26 players. A referee, linesmen, umpires, and possible cameraman if shown on TV. Then 26 players on the opposite team. It would be hitting the 100 mark, even without fans.
    They would all have to be tested, a player could have underlying condition like asthmatics and would be exempt.
    If a player got a serious injury could hospitals deal with them since most would be occupied with covid 19?
    why use Dublin as example. A lot of other counties have as many or more in their back room as the dubs.
    Hospitals are still very much open to serious injuries beyond covid19.
    GAA cannot be conducted behind closed doors.

If any sport is to be played behind closed doors you need everyone involved, players, coaches, media, backroom etc all isolated for the duration of the competition.

You can't do that in an amateur sport where people have jobs etc away from the sport.

You could try it Inna professional sport where the players are contracted to teams, but not in amateur.

Seriously we have to forget about GAA at every level for the rest of 2020, that's the grim reality of it.
    you wouldnt necessarily have to complete it with everyone in complete isolation for entirety of competition but could compress the competition so games are played in shorter timeframe than normal. You cant just forget about the sport for the rest of 2020. There will need to be some return for some part of year as return to normality.
    Yes, it's not worth the risk. And the GAA saying it could be cost them 60 million. They made plenty from Sky, Super 8s, All Ireland finals replays. They haven't done too bad for the years.
    have done ok but nowhere near to absorb losses that would occur from no games being played this year.

Because its an example that's why I used them. You're right I should have used Leitrim Carlow, or Wicklow with the AIG funding they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Because its an example that's why I used them. You're right I should have used Leitrim Carlow, or Wicklow with the AIG funding they have.
    It just looks like petty point scoring with Dublin as example and I see you just used sides all division 4 now. Kerry, and the other division 1 sides have as many or nearly as many staff as dubs. Tipp in hurling had a very large backroom team. You didnt use them as an example....

You're just sensitive. OK kerry, Tyrone, tipperary, Galway.
    Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Has anyone got any clarification yet. If the Dubs do a '6 in a row' (the year after next) - because of a cancelled championship this year. Does it still count as 'in a row' or will they have to win another 5 in a row after that?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Has anyone got any clarification yet. If the Dubs do a '6 in a row' (the year after next) - because of a cancelled championship this year. Does it still count as 'in a row' or will they have to win another 5 in a row after that?

Think the plan is the to take the last 5 off ye

Ha even winding lads up during the pandemic. I like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

be interesting to see what they do with the season ticket money, it would be a pr disaster to keep it. Im aware the terms and conditions allow.

surely they would have to refund some of the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think the all Ireland should be awarded to the county with the least c-19 deaths...ðŸ˜. Or maybe closed doors with Dubs excluded...another handy one for Kerry..ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-autumn-1.4234326 Have I misread this totally or does this offer a glimmer of hope for championship? All ticketed socially distanced crowd max 5k, bainisteoirs etc in the stands with one or two nominated people on the sideline (Drs, Maor Foirne). Straight knockout, alternating hurling and football weekends to allow for rest? Rigorous and rapid testing of players after games? Or have I gone stir crazy??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

scrubs33 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-all-mass-gatherings-in-state-set-to-be-banned-until-autumn-1.4234326 Have I misread this totally or does this offer a glimmer of hope for championship? All ticketed socially distanced crowd max 5k, bainisteoirs etc in the stands with one or two nominated people on the sideline (Drs, Maor Foirne). Straight knockout, alternating hurling and football weekends to allow for rest? Rigorous and rapid testing of players after games? Or have I gone stir crazy??

Or could you play club championship during the summer? Majority of those are < 5000. Then have inter county championship from September to November when you can have > 5000. It would be an interesting experiment in that many people advocate a distinct separation for club and county season already.

Club championship as you said in August with everyone having access to county players. Doubles up as a pre season for them? Huge crowds but well within the 5k limit. See how things are then and roll out inter county in August. Sounds like you might have a plan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

If it is safe to do so Play club ( I have my doubts whether it will be )
    Be great to give club players a summer of football
    The risk/benefit for the amateur players participating in inter county is much greater than for the organization who will profit from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,886 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I never knew my love for 'insert club'

Any bit of new GAA this year will be very very welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭dockysher

Cant really see how even club games will go ahead this summer. 1 player/ coaching team etc tests positive and they just after playing a game. Thats a lot of people from both teams, fans possibly out of work etc. Possibly effecting there own families too.
    Not just out of next few games.
    I really hope after august tho we can get some sort of action going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

dockysher wrote: »
    Cant really see how even club games will go ahead this summer. 1 player/ coaching team etc tests positive and they just after playing a game. Thats a lot of people from both teams, fans possibly out of work etc. Possibly effecting there own families too.

I think the plan with English soccer and other elite sports is to test all involved before a game (assuming rapid turnaround tests come on stream pretty soon). Can't see that level of testing being available for club GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think the plan with English soccer and other elite sports is to test all involved before a game (assuming rapid turnaround tests come on stream pretty soon). Can't see that level of testing being available for club GAA

Dutch league cancelled and new season wont start till Sept at the latest

Dutch league cancelled and new season wont start till Sept at the latest

Bundesliga starting in 2 weeks behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bundesliga starting in 2 weeks behind closed doors.

I wouldnt hold my breath on that onbe

As per another forum which I frequent all GAA clubs in Limerick got an email saying the plan is to playoff the championship in September possibly straight knock out depending on time with clubs due to start in July:D:D Does anyone know any club secretaries down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,394 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dockysher wrote: »

Well that's exactly it.

Firstly your going to have to test players, and who is going to cover the cost of that, and seeing as testing kit and the sample analysis are valuable resources in the health services so using them on sports people would not go down well.

Then you have the wait for the results.

How do you deal with social distancing, you are in close contact with other players during the game, and it's a contact sport, not to mention that the ball moves between a lot of people, if one player is infected I imagine the chance of transmission could be high.

What about dressing rooms and training, will we go back to the days of guys togging out behind a bush or in the car just to keep their distance ?

And finally the players melt back into the community after each game or training session, back to work, back to their families etc.
    There is no way to control their movements, like there might be in professional sport.

If we are to continue with the level of social distancing, personal hygiene and restricted movement that is required to keep this manageable until a cure is found then I cannot see any GAA games begin played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭shmeee

Well that's exactly it.

Firstly your going to have to test players, and who is going to cover the cost of that, and seeing as testing kit and the sample analysis are valuable resources in the health services so using them on sports people would not go down well.

Then you have the wait for the results.

How do you deal with social distancing, you are in close contact with other players during the game, and it's a contact sport, not to mention that the ball moves between a lot of people, if one player is infected I imagine the chance of transmission could be high.

What about dressing rooms and training, will we go back to the days of guys togging out behind a bush or in the car just to keep their distance ?

And finally the players melt back into the community after each game or training session, back to work, back to their families etc.
    There is no way to control their movements, like there might be in professional sport.

If we are to continue with the level of social distancing, personal hygiene and restricted movement that is required to keep this manageable until a cure is found then I cannot see any GAA games begin played.

Bang on.

Club or County games can not go ahead until we have near zero cases or a vaccine is available.

People are pure delusional.

The risk of spread at a Club GAA game is as high, if not higher than any other social venue or event.

Players are even saying it, they don't want to be putting any family members or friends at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭mcgragger

Golf is probably the only sport that can happen where you can avoid people. Maybe Snooker too. From the players point of view.

Any large team game is simply off the cards for the foreseeable until science or nature does its thing.

I'm as disappointed as the next person about that but that's the reality. This virus ain't going away

Yes i agree lads. Its not looking good for any GAA this year. My worry is if we're waiting for a workable and successful vaccine it may take years or never come at all. So what will be different in 2021 than this summer? Disappointing but more important issues at play here obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

As per another forum which I frequent all GAA clubs in Limerick got an email saying the plan is to playoff the championship in September possibly straight knock out depending on time with clubs due to start in July:D:D Does anyone know any club secretaries down there?

Just checked with my club. Either what you read on that forum is BS or my club weren't sent that particular email.

Just checked with my club. Either what you read on that forum is BS or my club weren't sent that particular email.
    Thanks for that. It seemed like a fairly solid claim to make but it seems like another false dawn. I should know better but desperation is setting in at this stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Thanks for that. It seemed like a fairly solid claim to make but it seems like another false dawn. I should know better but desperation is setting in at this stage!!

I can only speak for my own club though so you never know, some other clubs might well have received something.

We might get a championship later in the year but I personally can't see mass gatherings being allowed in 2020 so if it happens it will most likely be behind closed doors. (I would gladly take that right now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The Government have said that gatherings of more than 5,000 banned until September
    The gaa said they want clarity on this? It seems clear enough to me.
    Am i missing something?

The Government have said that gatherings of more than 5,000 banned until September
    Am i missing something?

The government has not yet said what kind of gatherings will be allowed. So I guess the GAA needs clarity on what their options are. For example, will behind closed doors be allowed? Even without fans, thats still quite a few people - 52 togging players for a start. 8 officials and you are already up to 60 people. Then physios, doctors, management, logistical personnel. You are looking at > 100 people for a behind closed game scenario. And I am sure I am under-estimating that.

So far, the government has just confirmed gatherings > 5000 not allowed. They haven't stated what they will allow. Presumably, crowds of 4500 will also not be allowed. So I think the GAA want clarity on what exactly they can plan for. Can they plan for club games with a couple of hundred people? Can they allow their teams to go back to training? Can they plan for behind closed door games? Can they plan for bigger events come September?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Yes i agree lads. Its not looking good for any GAA this year. My worry is if we're waiting for a workable and successful vaccine it may take years or never come at all. So what will be different in 2021 than this summer? Disappointing but more important issues at play here obviously.

I imagine if a vaccine isn't developed in the next year or so then a decision will have to be made regarding life and general and people will have to accept that Coronavirus is part of human life and hopefully health services will be able to deal with treating it effectively.You can't keep social distancing up forever it's fine as a temporary solution but long term it won't be workable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'd sell my soul for a game of hurling at this stage

Even a bad game would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Am i missing something?

I suppose clarity would be is the 5K based on overall capacity?
    Clearly 5K in Semple is different to 5K in Newbridge or Aughrim.
    Personally I'd say if games do go ahead that capacity would have to be around one quarter of maximum to allow social spacing. Others may think that figure should be higher or lower.
    But it clearly would have an affect on what grounds you could use, and thus on how quickly you could run off a championship and indeed would influence how you could structure a championship.

I wouldnt hold my breath on that onbe

Looks like it's happening if the politicians give the go-ahead.

Although this article explains why it'll be very difficult for the GAA to follow the same path any time soon:
    https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/04/24/news/bundesliga-return-model-still-a-long-way-off-for-gaa-1913603/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Looks like it's happening if the politicians give the go-ahead.

Well that was kind of my point, it doesnt matter what they plan, the Govt will have the final say but we shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

No reason clubs can’t run off championships in July and August give inter county set ups the month of September to get organized and play off the championship in October November and if it runs to mid December what about it.

Zetor19 wrote: »
    No reason clubs can’t run off championships in July and August

A lot of reason I'm afraid:
    Coronavirus Ireland: 'Contact sport is a long way off' - leading expert's stark warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

SAMTALK wrote: »
    I'd sell my soul for a game of hurling at this stage

Even a bad game would do

No such thing as a bad game of hurling

Zetor19 wrote: »
    No reason clubs can’t run off championships in July and August give inter county set ups the month of September to get organized and play off the championship in October November and if it runs to mid December what about it.

That is the ideal scenario in my view. However, nobody knows what will be permitted regarding social distancing and crowds. All the government has confirmed is that crowds > 5000 are not allowed in summer. However, they have yet to announce what capacities will be allowed. If they announced no gatherings of more than 500, I would envisage that automatically puts an end to club competitions too. Or if they announced that larger crowds are allowed but social distancing has to be adhered to, it is difficult to see how they could have a club championship in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Another “expert” talking out of his arse, these fruitcakes are really enjoying their 5 minutes of fame . The ordinary joe is starting to wake up the last few days, we will have a championship this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement