Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

That's so annoying. Personally when something like that happens I put down the knitting for anything up to six months and revert to crochet. For some reason frogging crochet is so easy, any little mistake and I rip back. It's an emotional disaster when I try to do the same with knitting, I find myself trying to justify leaving mistakes there as "features".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What in gods name is frogging?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What in gods name is frogging?

ripping back "rippit rippit"

Never heard of that!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hee hee, I first heard of it on ravelry and had to look it up, thought the meaning behind it was cute. Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't a clue!

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hee hee, I first heard of it on ravelry and had to look it up, thought the meaning behind it was cute. Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't a clue!

I came across it in the Stitch & B!tch books - which are actually so useful for things like grafting (which Mam had forgotten how to do), dropping stitches to avoid ripping where you had an errant purl/ plain and then using a crochet hook to pick them back up, in fact really useful in all their uses of crochet hooks to help with knitting.

I was also trying to learn a long tail cast on from them and just as I had the wool set up in my hands my Mam suddenly got interested. Turns out she'd spent 55 odd years of knitting unable to cast on "properly" in the eyes of her family which she has now mastered thanks to the book.

Reminds me of a really cute thing a while back. Mam was teaching my niece to knit and found a piece of knitting one of us had done when small still on the little needles. From the cast on she figured out it was her mother teaching me to knit, and not her since it was her Mam's cast on. So the first 4 inches of dropped stitches, magical extra stitches and mad tension are down to me and my Nana, the next four inches are down to my niece and her Nana, maybe we can make a multi generational scarf (its acrylic so holding up okay).

I have the Ultimate Knitting Bible and it has all those elements too.

I want to learn fair-isle knitting properly where you can carry across more than 5 stitches in one colour. I made a little fair isle hat for my small man last winter and would love to do more.

DSC08757_medium2.JPG
    http://ravel.me/DasKitty/sbh

So cute! was it not really fiddly starting off on a small hat (assuming with sock needles)?

So cute! was it not really fiddly starting off on a small hat (assuming with sock needles)?

It was fiddly and I knitted it 3 times in the end, but I needed to start on a small item to see how it was going to turn out! I was able to do the main part on short circular needles so that took some of the fiddling out of it.

Das Kitty, would you recommend the 'Ultimate Knitting Bible'?

Is it very basic or are the patterns/tips good?

I'd love to treat myself to that and the crochet version.

• Advertisement

I find it good, has instructions for lots of different knitting styles, cast ons, stitches and is easy to follow. It also brings you through a basic sock pattern which I found invaluable.

I also have the sewing version -also brilliant.

Right I'm off to find them both second hand.

My favourite book is a readers digest massive book of craft from 1979.... aimed at the new wife / mother!!

It covers every type of textile craft imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Hey all,
    You're probably all bored to death of these kinds of questions but, could anyone help me knit socks? I've watched videos on Youtube and they all say it calls for like 4 needles but I only have the two and have only ever knitted scarfs.
    Any hints, tips, magic spells to make them instantly appear?

Hey all,
    You're probably all bored to death of these kinds of questions but, could anyone help me knit socks? I've watched videos on Youtube and they all say it calls for like 4 needles but I only have the two and have only ever knitted scarfs.

Yeah you need 4 double pointed sock needles in the correct size for the pattern. This is because you knit them in a tube rather than flat. If you've only done scarves I'd advise trying your hand and a practice swatch where you do some increases and decreases.

As well as that, baby hats are a great way of learning to knit in the round as they're quick.

You can actually knit a sock on 2 needles but you have to be able to make a flat seam and they're fairly tricky.
    Like this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-flat-sock-pattern

I remember trying to knit my first sock, I threw the whole lot out the window!

Hey all,

Actually I did my first socks as super chunky socks on two needles which were okay - inelegant - but super chunky socks are for slouching around watching telly in winter so elegance is not the name of the game.

Actually I found them quite easy, and a bit less daunting than starting out on sock needles as it got my head around turning the heel etc without having to get my head around sock needles - although I knew I couldn't ask any relatives for help since they all though knitting socks on two needles was just daft.

The pattern was Sirdar and on 8mm (I think). Wouldn't dream of doing socks in sock yarn or indeed anything finer than chunky on two needles. But it only took a couple of hours to knit each sock so ripping back wasn't painful when I made mistakes as I got my head around heels and insteps so if you haven't used sock needles for anything to date (and they are really cool once you get used to them) look for super chunky/ chunky sock patterns as you don't get many super chunky sized sock needles so they're more likely to be done on 2 needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Hi, I'm getting an old chair off my mam and I'm going to knit a cover for it based on a melanie porter design.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bzx5r-UkJos/SnDp-ouB2vI/AAAAAAAAElY/fJQ4wDPR8TY/s1600-h/lottie.jpg

The wool used for this is 100% merino and suggest dry clean only.

Does anyone think there is a better type to use that can be washed at home but can still stand the every day use it will get from being on a chair?

Oh wow, what a brilliant design. It depend how much use the chair will get. Bobbling could be an issue.

With a natural yarn, if it bobbles you can razor off the bobbles. You could go for a 50/50 natural/synthetic mix. This would be hard wearing and washable.

If you go for 100% synthetic, it will be washable but it will be very hard to remove bobbles.

Best to talk to you local wool shop worker as they may have used the yarns they stock and can advise on the best. Something that wore well when knited up as a bag would be a good option as it would get the same kinda wear.

bambera wrote: »
    Hi, I'm getting an old chair off my mam and I'm going to knit a cover for it based on a melanie porter design.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bzx5r-UkJos/SnDp-ouB2vI/AAAAAAAAElY/fJQ4wDPR8TY/s1600-h/lottie.jpg

The wool used for this is 100% merino and suggest dry clean only.

Does anyone think there is a better type to use that can be washed at home but can still stand the every day use it will get from being on a chair?

I know this doesn't answer your question in the slightest but I felt the need to share my tale of two blankets. The first I did in acrylic for wearability (crochet, not knit), the second I did in wool (also crochet). Fifteen years later the first looks pretty much as it did when I completed it, and I hate it. The second was a lot more complicated (even though it was faster because I'd gained speed). The second has been hand washed, has stretched, faded, looks nothing like the blanket I finished. Yet I love it. The wear has made it softer, it is still luxurious, indeed more luxurious than when I finished it, the patterns less stark, but the texture is oh so nice.

I know that crochet (in squares) is easier since you know you can replace a square (all crochet is easier), but my emotional response to the acrylic vs the wool version is pretty extreme. The latter I'd be happy to see flaws in, the former seems to me to be a waste of so many hours of my life since there is nothing inviting about it - it's acrylic.

So a bit like wmpdd3 I'd suggest looking for a wool/ acrylic mix, I'd stand back and ask myself whether I want luxury or practicality, and the more personal effort goes in, the more that you want luxury, the more you sacrifice wearability for luxury.

Just my thoughts though, based on a crocheted blanket made 15 years ago which I now hate.

ps. love the picture you posted up - looks divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Thanks guys you've helped put it into perspective.

The more I think about it, the chair is more for show as the couch would get used more.

It's gonna take me ages to knit so best putting the effort in first time around and go with a good brand of wool (and not let any drunk people sit on it ;)). Was in one of the wool shops in Walkinstown last week and they seemed to know what they're talking about, so I might bring a picture down to them next time I'm over that way.

P.S. Thought I was the only one who shaved my clothes :o

@Beeftotheheels, I totally agree. About 15 years ago when I started buying yarn, I bought loads of synthetics. You know the stuff, deadly colours in massive balls. I made a few bits I still wear but the major let down is the yarn I used. It gets tight and the bobbles (a snood) are a pain to remove. Twice I sat down with a nail scissors and cut them off one by one. The only reason I dont throw these item out is because I knitted them with my, now passed away grandmother.

In the last 6 years I have bought bought only natural or 35% synthetics max. There are some exceptions to the rule, but these are ususally highly developed mixtures devised by manufactured and not available to the wider public. ie I have seen machine washable mohair cushion covers.

In short it will take a few weeks to knit the cover, the chair you will make could last 100 years! Invest wisely in the yarn and spend as much as you can, you will not regret it. Also, I would call your nearest Interior designer and beg for their advice, they may have seen similar items in this line of work and may have valuable advice.

• Advertisement

I want to make a multi-coloured baby blanket for my friend's imminent arrival. What yarns do you use for baby things? I would like it to be washable but nice enough to be a keepsake.

if you can afforf it, id say the debbie bliss yarn pictured above. Failing that a cotton or cotton mix would be great. Stay away from the 2.20 balls of baby yarn, way too thin but warm for baby wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not an accomplished knitter by any means, in fact until I saw wool and needles in Lidl on Monday I hadn't held knitting needles since first class.

Anyway, a week of 'how to knit' videos later I'm feeling comfortable enough with various stitches and I'd like to knit a blanket. Would it be possible to knit something about 6 feet across (for a double bed). Can you even get needles big enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Knit it in squares or strips and sew them together. Trying to knit a huge item like that would not work for a number of reasons, it would be impossible to handle being just one of them!

You'd need to make a few strips and attach them to make up 6ft.

You could do thins with you standard size 6mm needles and chunky wool. It would cost yo a fair bit just for the wool. I'd say at 2 hrs per night, 3 nights a week it would take you about 2 months.

You can make needles from a broom handles, these would be about 15mm. If you know someone who does wood turning they can shape the tips for you and attach stoppers on the ends. You could them use many strands of wool to knit a thicker but faster strip. You can put many balls or cones in a box and make a hole in the top of the box to let the wool flow smoothly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTdSeLjueQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeOrnXyqjU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8yHmHPQeaM

Personally, I'd crochet a blanket for a double bed in chunky and size 10mm hook. Possibly 16 squares, would take about 40 hrs.

Search e-bay and wool shops for 'yarn cones' if buying for such a big project.

You could knit something that wide on long circular needles also. I would advise using chunky or super chunky yarn and large needles. Knitting something big like that can get soul destroying after a while!

Thanks for all the replies! I did a bit of googling and found a site with some simple directions, it recommended size 10 circular needles, so I got some of those and the chunkiest wool that I could find in Dublin Woolen Mills. The site recommended casting on 144 stitches for a 3' throw so I've gone for about twice that, I think; extra stitches seem to appear from nowhere.

I've a few rows done, but not many yet, so I'd say it'll take me a while. I'm trying to cut down how much I smoke and the knitting has really helped today, it's kept my hands and my brain occupied so I've hardly noticed time passing.

Oops, double post.

Keep an eye on your stitch count after every row so you won't have to go ripping back too far if you make a mistake. You'll soon be able to tell where they are easily, it is tricky to begin with.

I wanted to start knitting to keep me out if the fridge! I hope you have more luck with the smokes than I did with the snacks though!

• Advertisement

If it starts getting wider or narrower I'm going to just keep going. There's way too much there for me to rip it back. Since I'm only starting off each row is taking me about 45 minutes so I don't want to lose any work. I've looked into ways of getting rid of extra stitches and if I'm miles off I'll probably try knitting two together.

Advertisement