Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lactose Intolerance - avoid all milk products?

Options
  • 09-08-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Four years ago I had tests which indicated that I should remove wheat, milk lactose, soya and eggs from my diet.

At the time, I was told that I should stop drinking cow’s milk and stop eating cow’s cheese.

I was told that I could eat sheep’s and goat’s cheese as long as they didn’t contain egg as a preservative.

I’ve done this ever since and it did make a huge difference to my general well-being.

I was also told at the time that I could eat butter and natural yogurt.

While the effect was transforming, considering how I had been feeling, I am still prone to occasional infections in my ears. These used to be far worse.

I’ve often wondered if yogurt and butter might be the difference.

Is it true that the bad effects of lactose are eliminated by the manufacturing process of butter and yogurt, which is what I was told?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dinarius wrote: »
    Is it true that the bad effects of lactose are eliminated by the manufacturing process of butter and yogurt, which is what I was told?
    I make my own yogurt. I make it over 24hours or more as I want maximum probiotics and I also like the sharp taste it gives. On many forums and websites I have seen people saying they were able to take this without issue who otherwise had lactose issues and some would not be able to eat regular natural yogurt.

Commercial natural yogurt is done for maybe 4-8 hours and so is not fully fermented out, so a higher % of the lactose will remain. If it tastes too tart after the 24hours I guess you could add back in sugar or fruit, while still minimizing the lactose.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

If you want to continue with the butter ... clarify it by placing the butter in a small saucepan ....gently heat it and the butter fat will separate from the milk solids...pour off the fat carefully ...discard milk solids ...otherwise known as ghee.

Advertisement