Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Numbers coming home from Australia?

• 09-06-2014 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed a lot coming home from Oz lately? I often wonder to myself how many will actually stay away in different countries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

No way? Numbers is coming home?

I was talking to his da in the pub this evening. He never mentioned it. (maybe hes surprising him)

(and I hope auld number doesn't think I've forgotten he owes me thirty five euro either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

There is no way Numbers is coming home yet, them sums don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I was talking to his da in the pub this evening. He never mentioned it. (maybe hes surprising him)

(and I hope auld numbers doesn't think I've forgotten he owes me thirty five euro either)

What does he owe u it for? thinning turnips?

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    What does he owe u it for? thinning turnips?

Give him tree fiddy to put on a 10-1 shot. It won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd love to see a big number appear in the post tomorrow.

• Advertisement

It won't be reported how many are coming home from Australia, it would put a dent in the "tragic emigrant" narrative the media are doing right now.
    The only time it'll be mentioned will be in an article about those poor guys who went off for a few years and expected to be able to sign on immediately and they can't and the government are terrible because of that just like it was terrible last year and the year before and the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Cant wait for them to regale me with tales from Oz.

If its that good there fcuk back there then.

Cant wait for them to regale me with tales from Oz.

Don't worry, they'll tell you every last ****ing detail about it several times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

ya sometimes it seems nothing can be talked about without it all going back to talking about Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

I think people seem to forget that the majority of young people are just going on working holiday visas for up to two years maximum. I'd imagine there's considerably less people that would qualify for skilled worker migration and so forth.

It's not as easy to up and feck off as a lot of people think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

nibble wrote: »
    I think people seem to forget that the majority of young people are just going on working holiday visas for up to two years maximum. I'd imagine there's considerably less people that would qualify for skilled worker migration and so forth.

It's not as easy to up and feck off as a lot of people think it is.

Very true.
    That's the thing about the news reports about people moving away to Canada or Australia... Vast majority of people will have to come back.

Gotta love the EU tho :) Nothing stopping someone from just packing their bags and living years in a different country. None of this visa mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

A lot the mine related construction work is finishing here, plenty of going away parties but generally most seem to be following the work, engineers heading to the middle east etc.

Working holiday visa will always supply a trickle of returns to Ireland. They can claim after a penalty period if they declare Ireland as their normal domicile after being elsewhere. The fact they weren't Australian residents helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

then you'd be owed €38.50 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

When you go will you send back a number from Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

So he owes you three fiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Captain Cook came back from Australia. He was homesick!

Columbus came back from the Americas

St. Brendan came back from America.

Homesickness is a terrible ailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Well then, he doesnt owe you €35 euro. He owe's you €38.50.

€35 in winnings and your €3.50 back aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

There is no way Numbers is coming home yet, them sums don't add up.

Their are thousands coming home and I was one of them. Every friend of mine abroad will not be far behind me.

Don't worry, they'll tell you every last ****ing detail about it several times over.

Probably a better conversation than hearing about you complain that you have to drag your hole off the couch once a week to collect your free money.

Yes it's small minded people like you that say you will go do this and that, all your life but many years will pass and guess what you will still be a I'll go do this person. Pull back your curtain and pass your view on the world outside WE DONT CARE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Yes it's small mined people
    Exquisite.

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Exquisite.

Fixed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZbaz3Wlfw&feature=kp

Very funny URL above

Australia was ah mazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

How many have come back in a box?
    Australia isn't as nice a country as the sun and sand suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Lambofdave wrote: »
    How many have come back in a box?
    Australia isn't as nice a country as the sun and sand suggests

Careful Now! Down with that sort of thing!

professore wrote: »
    Careful Now! Down with that sort of thing!

He is right. Too many.

A damp day in Ireland won't kill you whereas oz has crocs, sunburn, sharks, ripcurls, bushfires, stingrays, snakes, spiders, women who look like men, angry drunks, racist rednecks, more religious freaks than Ireland, crap beer, crap food................

What the fook am I still doing here?

Oh yeah, the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

catbear wrote: »
    A damp day in Ireland won't kill you whereas oz has crocs, sunburn, sharks, ripcurls, bushfires, stingrays, snakes, spiders, women who look like men, angry drunks, racist rednecks, more religious freaks than Ireland, crap beer, crap food................

What the fook am I still doing here?

Oh yeah, the money.

Eh what?

jank wrote: »
    Eh what?
    Budweiser is considered Premium Beer!
    Beer like leffe that can be bought for €5 for a four pack in Lidl in Ireland can cost almost the same as one bottle in an bottle shop in Perth! Even their good local craft beer is really expensive in comparison, the last time I was back in Ireland a new craft pub was I drank was easily half the price. The wages may be good here but whatever advantage is lost to cost of living.

On the other hand there are smashing wines that are really cheap here and most places are BYO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have neighbours whose 3 adult children were still living at home. Currently 2 are in Australia staying with relatives, before that they were in America staying with relatives. The son came back from Australia then 1 daughter headed off over there, now the other daughters been there for a few months.

The 3 of them tend to come back and move in with the parents, work in the same factory as the mother for long enough to get the price of the flights and some spending money together before heading off for another year or so. Now they'd be in their early to mid 20's, I can't help wondering how much of this so called emigration in that age group is actually just extended holidaying. Of course a lot of people are leaving for a better life too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I'd love to see a big number appear in the post tomorrow.

Here you go 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Australia is awesome, its not easy there but the unemployment rate is less than 6% whereas in Ireland its just shy of 12%. Property prices are mad though in the two big cities.

Anyway, if your gonna be broke, might as well have decent weather.

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Australia is awesome, its not easy there but the unemployment rate is less than 6% whereas in Ireland its just shy of 12%. Property prices are mad though in the two big cities.
    According to the ABS (australian bureau of statistics):
    a person who has worked for one hour or more for payment or someone who has worked without pay in a family business, is considered employed regardless of whether they consider themselves employed or not.
    Make of it what you will but Ray Morgan puts the real Australian unemployment rate at around 10%.

Totally agree about being broke in a nicer climate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

According to the ABS (australian bureau of statistics):

Make of it what you will but Ray Morgan puts the real Australian unemployment rate at around 10%.

Totally agree about being broke in a nicer climate!

"a person who has worked for one hour or more for payment or someone who has worked without pay in a family business, is considered employed regardless of whether they consider themselves employed or not."

That is deceptive as fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

(and I hope auld number doesn't think I've forgotten he owes me thirty five euro either)

Cannot stop laughing at this! :D

whirlpool wrote: »

That is deceptive as fcuk!
    It makes the Irish governments hiding of unemployed in JobsBridge look positively progressive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Their are thousands coming home and I was one of them. Every friend of mine abroad will not be far behind me.

Was it the veritable feast of opportunity in Ireland that brought you back ??

then you'd be owed €38.50 :p

10% Commission for number.

Budweiser is considered Premium Beer!
    Beer like leffe that can be bought for €5 for a four pack in Lidl in Ireland can cost almost the same as one bottle in an bottle shop in Perth! Even their good local craft beer is really expensive in comparison, the last time I was back in Ireland a new craft pub was I drank was easily half the price. The wages may be good here but whatever advantage is lost to cost of living.

On the other hand there are smashing wines that are really cheap here and most places are BYO.

People who give out about the food in OZ are generally people who eat nothing else but Spuds and Cabbage with a bit of fatty bacon that they think is meat. The level of choice in the food you can eat here far outstrips anything on offer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Shame. The asshole contingent of my town had reduced considerably since some folks moved to OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Living in Melbourne and there is a feeling around that the oz 'buzz' is fading. Maybe I'm just getting old but lots of people I know recently have moved back. Not alot of people arriving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

more religious freaks than Ireland,

Do you mean the freaks are more religious, or there are more people with freakish religious convictions ?

I have come across a few door to door baptist and Jehovahs Witnesses, but you get the latter at home anyway, other than that, you really do have to go looking for them in my experience.
    As for people with freakish convictions, I do recollect people at home who would defend the RCC despite their behavior and treatment of their now countless victims, they would never say nor hear a bad word about a priest or bishop etc. and would attend mass a couple of times a week, and without fail on Sundays.
    That to my mind is much more freakish than singing a few songs and drinking some tea on a Sunday morning (whenever you can make it) after listening to a bit of bible talk (My experience of a service I went to recently)

Either way, I disagree. I haven't encountered that many freaks at all, most seem to be fairly personal about their religion, one way or another, and the certainly haven't spent 700 years burning, shooting and blowing each other up over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

jank wrote: »
    People who give out about the food in OZ are generally people who eat nothing else but Spuds and Cabbage with a bit of fatty bacon that they think is meat. The level of choice in the food you can eat here far outstrips anything on offer in Ireland.

You cant be serious.
    You mean sausages that taste like dog food, very few butcher shops, only biscuits they have are tim tams etc

You cant be serious.
    You mean sausages that taste like dog food, very few butcher shops, only biscuits they have are tim tams etc

Good Lad.

You can get penguin bars, hob nobs and digestives in most Coles and Woolworths now. Aside from the huge range of Australian biscuits available in the supermarkets, and the huge number of bakeries that still survive in Oz. compared to those that have been crushed out of the market at home by Tesco and Dunnes.

If you buy the cheapest sausages anywhere, they will taste like/are dogfood.
    Go to a butchers and they will have top notch own recipe sausages, even Coles and Woolworths are carrying a wide range of decent sausages now.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since Aus. fell out with you and you had to leave ?
    You might want to leave it alone one of these days. It's making you look silly now.

You cant be serious.
    Too flipping right. Coles and Woolies between them control 80% of the grocery market and their stranglehold shows in the poor value. Your average medium sized town in ireland has more choice and much better value than the big cities here. And then there's the restricted trading hours that feel like 1980s Ireland, it's only in the last two years that grocery trading on Sundays in most Perth suburbs was allowed.

However I love Kangaroo meat but the locals think it's strictly pet food even though it's really healthy stuff, they'd prefer really horrible sausages, chips for breakfast, chips for lunch and chips for dinner. I call it the Blackpool diet! I've gone to top rated restaurants on Urbanspoon that served stuff that was obviously straight out of a box but because it wasn't burger and chips some locals think it's high class. Michelin are taking their time getting here!

Plenty of good asian options although I always have to ask for really spicy as the locals seem to be afraid of it, they prefer their horrible bland watered down buttered chicken. To be fair it's probably more a Perth thing though.
    I heard a gyneocologist on the local radio stating that the sharp increase in cesareans was because more than half of pregnant mothers were obese or seriously overweight, not surprising when a lot of eating out here is done in a car park.

From the Conversation
    The world’s largest commercial real estate services firm, CBRE, tracks the presence of 326 of the world’s most prominent retail brands across 208 cities in 73 countries.

Australia ranks 30th, trailing Qatar, Russia, Poland and Thailand, and is only just ahead of Hungary. Melbourne is our most international city at equal #61 with Bucharest, but behind Jeddah, Birmingham and Shenzen.
    Wow, Australia's right up there with Bucharest!

You cant be serious.

Yea the Irish sausage is the only food available to man kind.

Too flipping right. Coles and Woolies between them control 80% of the grocery market and their stranglehold shows in the poor value. I've gone to top rated restaurants on Urbanspoon that served stuff that was obviously straight out of a box but because it wasn't burger and chips some locals think it's high class. Michelin are taking their time getting here!
    Do you think Urbanspoon is that good of a guide ?
    I've found it to be very inconsistent even with top quality restaurants and pubs everywhere I've gone. I don't even use it anymore, as people tend to get hung up on the little things they personally liked/didn't like.
    Your average medium sized town in ireland has more choice and much better value than the big cities here.PERTH. And then there's the restricted trading hours that feel like 1980s Ireland in PERTH, it's only in the last two years that grocery trading on Sundays in most Perth suburbs was allowed.

Ah, Perth is a kip is it ?

Comparing Perth to the rest of Australia, is kind of similar to comparing Belmullet to the rest of Ireland FWIW.

There is a 24 hour supermarket (Woolworths) 10 minutes away from me.
    My Local Coles is 9-9 7 days a week. For comparison, the nearest town with the same service in Ireland was 20 minutes away.
    Can we not let JTM derail another thread by making it about sausages ?:rolleyes:
    I'm heading home later this week for a break, and I really hope it's improved from the last time I was there. :(

Wow, Australia's right up there with Bucharest!
    I think you are missing an important point on what that article is driving at there.
    The biggest Retail Brands are struggling to break into the Australian Market.
    Big Whoop de-doo. Who would want Costco here or Wallmart ?
    I think that local suppliers and retailers, particularly of food, do a better job in any case.
    I think that being further down that list is a better place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

I'm heading home later this week for a break, and I really hope it's improved from the last time I was there. :(

The place is good :) the people are touch and go :/

Do you mean the freaks are more religious, or there are more people with freakish religious convictions ?
    Have you heard their prime minister? I'll let him speak for himself.

And he is now the elected Prime Minister!

Interesting he used Jesus flipping the traders tables in the temple as they seem very welcome since he got to power, $5m gets you residency on a 888 visa!

To add to Desultory's reply to AngryHippie, the mood in Ireland is much changed for the better than a year or so before, it's as if people have gotten tired of gloom. Having said that any town that was reliant on house building during the bubble is still pretty downbeat. I really enjoyed it whereas my previous visit in 2011 I couldn't wait to get away from the gloom!

The biggest Retail Brands are struggling to break into the Australian Market.
    Big Whoop de-doo. Who would want Costco here or Wallmart ?
    I think that local suppliers and retailers, particularly of food, do a better job in any case.
    I think that being further down that list is a better place to be.
    Woolies and Coles are scared of Aldi, they've tried to block their expansion at every turn. Lidl and Aldi were in Ireland certainly shook up the Irish market for the better.

Have you heard their prime minister? I'll let him speak for himself.

As with their last prime minister, he is only as Australian as I am.
    He's a Pom. And the last one was Welsh.

I'm not arguing that he's not a bloody idiot, because he is.
    He will be a pretty short-lived puppet once he starts to hurt big Malcolm's party.

Just another opinionated nodding assclown.

But if we are going to go there, we could easily compare his credibility with that of our own Michael Noonan, or Cowen, or Ahern (in his day).
    They only get the job because they want it the most.
    Which should (in a sense) preclude them from getting it.
    Woolies and Coles are scared of Aldi, they've tried to block their expansion at every turn.
    Of course they have, it's self preservation. they don't want the competition.
    Unfortunately all of those options further erode the market of the suppliers of the (IMO) highest quality goods (local business - butcher, baker, greengrocer)
    -Least preservatives, Lowest Food/km, Freshest Produce, Competetive price.

Central Purchasing is killing all of these local providers, the same silent death that local business suffered in Ireland in the noughties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement