Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-platforming fascists works

Options
  • 10-09-2019 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59n99q/milo-yiannopoulos-says-hes-broke

Far-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos is broke and no longer able to make a living selling racism, xenophobia and bullying after being banned from twitter and facebook.

"I spent years growing and developing and investing in my fan base, and they just took it away in a flash."

Right-wing conman Jacob Wohl, who was banned from twitter earlier this year, echoed Yiannopoulos' statements.

You love to see it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Biased Alt-Right outrage disguised as free speech in 1...2...3...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Your source is vice, who are fascists

They were certainly founded by one, you're absolutely right there. Good call.

You pipped my post :)

Vice sucks. Great point by them though.

Plenty of other sources if anyone is too upset by the notion of visiting Vice.

https://splinternews.com/oh-no-milo-yiannopoulos-is-out-of-money-1837996361

nobody is entitled to a platform, first things first

free speech does not mean speech free from criticism or consequence

but, notwithstanding personal/individual damage done to the lamentable milo, do deplatforming advocates think things are getting better or worse as a result of their strategies?

i wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Should probably read up on the founder of Vice. It was created by the same man who set up the Proud Boys, along side other media formats he made too.

While Vice is frankly total trash, it's purpose is to get clicks with insane articles just like his right-wing based media formats.

As for Milo. Well I remember when he first came on the scene, a very charismatic and charming guy who made some very valid points about "far-left" views and censorship. The problem is that's all the Milo had, charisma and charm. When actually faced with a decent debate he couldn't stand his own and quickly found that buzz words can only take you so far.

So then he went on to be a shock jock, doing the same thing as the people he spoke against, but coming it from another angle. While I personally don't believe he is racist, he certainly appealed greatly to a racist and xenophobic community.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Liberals that have monopolized a service can misuse their position and silence those they disagree with.... and it works.

When liberals have monopolized a service they can misuse their position and silence those they disagree with and it works.

Terms of service have no political alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When liberals have monopolized a service they can misuse their position and silence those they disagree with and it works.

But it is not monopolized.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Modern facism is coming from the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Too bad Tony Blair wasn't kicked off twitter sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Live by the social media platform die by the social media platform - and the obvious danger of being a one trick pony. Don't these people know you need to diverse-ify

When people with a view are in charge of a private media outlet they tend to be biased towards that view. I'll take that. Not exactly new mind. Is it only a conspiracy when hate mongers are silenced?

Yes the Chinese government are busy de-platforming the terrorist protesters in Hong Kong. It's very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Do you know what facism means?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Terms of service have no political alignment.

Would you stop. My Twitter account was suspended because I disagreed with a famous liberal.

They close accounts regularly that are showing their blue ticks to be factual incorrect.

Shadow banning is a constant on there for those disagreeing with leftists.

Lazy ****e talk. Fascism can't come from the left. They mean different things you na na.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So then he went on to be a shock jock, doing the same thing as the people he spoke against, but coming it from another angle. While I personally don't believe he is racist, he certainly appealed greatly to a racist and xenophobic community.

Katie Hopkins has gone down this route, provocative statement = more publicity. In it strictly for the commerce. I regard her as the lowest form of vermin, but "de-platforming" would only lead to martyrdom in the minds of her slobbering flock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think we are going to see a number of these provocateurs do what Lauren Southern has done and retire.

They will disappear and re-appear a few years later having penned a book criticising the Alt-Right and how they have rebuilt their lives; multiple Damascene Conversions will be seen.

I hope no-one buys that bull**** when it happens.

If Milo etc. have no oxygen the world is a better place for it. Opinions are fine, it's when your opinions involve spreading hate, division and denigrating other people that you got to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If Milo etc. have no oxygen the world is a better place for it. Opinions are fine, it's when your opinions involve spreading hate, division and denigrating other people that you got to go.

Milo and Sargon are Edgelords. That may be funny when you are a teenager but both are in their 30's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lazy ****e talk. Fascism can't come from the left. They mean different things you na na.

It hasn't traditionally but it's now coming from the left in the form of libertarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Have you considered applying the standards of your second sentence to the preceeding one?

Edit - Apologies, you can ignore this. I just noticed you called someone a "na na".

It hasn't traditionally but it's now coming from the left in the form of libertarism.

Yeaahh......nah.

Milo and Sargon are Edgelords. That may be funny when you are a teenager but both are in their 30's now.

There's a market for it, just more fringe. His pedophile comment finished him off. He was a novelty on the Alt-Right. Ironically he'd be the first to get a beating from Alt-Right folk if him and his partner took a hand holding stroll through Alabama and likely from people he previously stirred up too.

That's always been their whole grift - appealing to the teenage edgelords from 8chan, Breitbart and the rest and convincing them to give them money, with no regard for who their words and actions have very real impact on real world people.

It's great to see them being shut off from their potential audience of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59n99q/milo-yiannopoulos-says-hes-broke

Far-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos is broke and no longer able to make a living selling racism, xenophobia and bullying after being banned from twitter and facebook.

"I spent years growing and developing and investing in my fan base, and they just took it away in a flash."

Right-wing conman Jacob Wohl, who was banned from twitter earlier this year, echoed Yiannopoulos' statements.

You love to see it.

Because the only shock jockies, whose platform is exclusively on social media, to experience 15 minutes of fame are right-wing in nature. :rolleyes:

I mean, don't let it get in the way of your argument for censorship, just realize that you are being selective in your data.

Hobosan wrote: »
    Have you considered applying the standards of your second sentence to the preceeding one?

Doesn't work. Are you advocating for the rights of those who would infringe upon your rights? Kind of self defeating. "I want to infringe upon your rights" 'That's your right, go ahead son'?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what you refer to as fascism isn't fascism.
    what you refer to as modern fascism, and in turn stating to be coming from the left, is not coming from the left as a whole, but is coming from the hard left. plenty of us on the left disagree with the harder elements and have no time for them.
    Katie Hopkins has gone down this route, provocative statement = more publicity. In it strictly for the commerce. I regard her as the lowest form of vermin, but "de-platforming" would only lead to martyrdom in the minds of her slobbering flock.

agreed. but thankfully we hear nothing from her these days. lets hope it stays that way.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Matt i really don't think suffocating HomoSexuals is the Fix for all this tension.

Advertisement