Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I chance it?

• 20-10-2020 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭

I live in a small village where I do alot of running..I meet this girl out running alot!! She is damn cute about mid 40's, has a son in his 20's..But no boyfriend she spends most of her time not working, she was workingin aviation.My neighbourhood watch buddie lives beside her !!
    Very friendly and we have s good chat when we meet..
    I keep thinking that I'd like to her ask on a run/ walk someday...
    Feel like shes friendly but not too interested!, but I havent a clue...
    Should I ?
    Or any other approaches that migth help ?
    Thanks
    Im not shy but I'd wallow in the rebuke....
    Any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

Go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ask her to join on a run. If interested she'll agree, if not then she won't. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

run past her house everyday at top speed

i always let rhe woman chase me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Go for it. If you're both single and have a common interest (running) and now with the lockdown she's unlikely to meet anyone else you'll probably never have a better chance.

That said you can't visit another person's house for six weeks so don't count on a casual post exercise screw out of this. After 6 weeks of chats while running it's either a deep and meaningful relationship for life or the friend zone. No let's just have sex and see what happens in this case I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

salamiii wrote: »
    run past her house everyday at top speed

i always let rhe woman chase me

Tried that !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭This is it

4Ad wrote: »
    Tried that !!!

You don't know your own speed. Fast enough to impress but slow enough to catch. It's a fine line.

I think I will casually ask her to join me for a local hill run/ hike..she has never been before...
    Nothing to lose really ..she isnt up to much socially either.
    We just breifly cross paths while out running or outside her house...( I have a tent)..joke
    PS..im an ugly short arse but Im fast !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

keep us updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I think I will casually ask her to join me for a local hill run/ hike..she has never been before...
    We just breifly cross paths while out running or outside her house...( I have a tent)..joke

This is what I was going to suggest. And the fact shes never been is even better cos shes more likely to want to give it a go.

Be careful even if she says yes that you dont take it as a sign that she is interested in a relationship. She might just genuinely want to go hiking and not do it alone. But you should know after a few hours chatting where things may or may not lead.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Don’t go dropping the hand straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Speaking as a woman I'd be a bit reluctant to go for a run in a remote area with a guy I don't know well. I don't think that's just me either.

Look, ask her out for coffee or whatever you can do given the current situation.

Or ask her to go for a run in a park or somewhere well populated.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Just Do It

Met her on the road but we were going in opposite directions !!

My Sister had to go for a covid test and I was in contact so I will have to hide away for a few days..

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Jabstone

I live in a small village where I do alot of running..I meet this girl out running alot!! She is damn cute about mid 40's, has a son in his 20's..But no boyfriend she spends most of her time not working, she was workingin aviation.My neighbourhood watch buddie lives beside her !!
    Should I ?
    Thanks
    Any advice.

Why not, you've nothing to lose. Ask her for a walk and a coffee, it's probably easier to chat walking than jogging.

Met her on the road but we were going in opposite directions !!

My Sister had to go for a covid test and I was in contact so I will have to hide away for a few days..

Why does it matter if you're going in opposite directions? Take the lead and bring her in your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

Jabstone wrote: »
    Ask her for a walk and a coffee

Switching out an l for an n really changes the tone of this sentence :)

On a serious note, ask her out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I dunno, on one hand I say ask her out, but, if she says no then you’ve to have that awkward moment each time you pass each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I dunno, on one hand I say ask her out, but, if she says no then you’ve to have that awkward moment each time you pass each other

Meh, I once asked the woman out who worked next door to where I worked and she said yes. Went out a few times and it went nowhere. It wasnt awkward at all and we still had the chats in passing like we always had. It's only awkward if you make it awkward. A little bit of maturity goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

As a woman (and I know nobody can speak for an entire gender lol) if someone asked me to go jogging with him, if I liked him I'd be reluctant for him to see me sweaty and working out 😂 although perhaps shes not as shallow as me. If you run together you would have to maintain 2metres, and first dates are hard enough without having to shout small talk at each other from opposite sides of the road! :) second the coffee :)

Ps sorry for invading the gentlemen's thread but have been following like it's a beautiful romantic film unfolding! Best of luck OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

A plumber with no pipe.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    As a woman (and I know nobody can speak for an entire gender lol) if someone asked me to go jogging with him, if I liked him I'd be reluctant for him to see me sweaty and working out 😂 although perhaps shes not as shallow as me. If you run together you would have to maintain 2metres, and first dates are hard enough without having to shout small talk at each other from opposite sides of the road! :) second the coffee :)

Ps sorry for invading the gentlemen's thread but have been following like it's a beautiful romantic film unfolding! Best of luck OP

I wouldn't beholding my breath If I was you...
    I'll keep ye updated ic anything happens !

If this was someone elses thread I'd be following it like a tennis match ....

Putting myself under pressure now...
    Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

go for it, you only live once

I wouldn't beholding my breath If I was you...
    I'll keep ye updated ic anything happens !

If this was someone elses thread I'd be following it like a tennis match ....

Putting myself under pressure now...
    Jaysus

Remember you have no reason to be under pressure. The most important thing is that you're living a rich life going after what you want. Whether she says yes or no doesn't really matter, you can ask someone else the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

hope your sister is ok OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Think you should go for it 4Ad. Went on my first (and hopefully last) blind date recently and I’ve never been happier. All the best whatever you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If there's a coffee shop open that has outdoor tables, simply tell her you going to go for a coffee after your run and ask if she'd like to join you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Some morning see her in 5he distance coming towards you pull up with a bad leg cramp, let on you have severe pain. If she jogs on she's a cold heartless person, if she stops then its game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jeju wrote: »
    Some morning see her in 5he distance coming towards you pull up with a bad leg cramp, let on you have severe pain. If she jogs on she's a cold heartless person, if she stops then its game on.

I can verify, this method works for picking up women:

tumblr_mezz3vtLqx1qi50afo1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Should I ?
    Thanks
    Any advice.

https://movemequotes.com/dont-complicate-life/

• Advertisement

Jeju wrote: »

Yeah lie down on the road with my leg up in the air like a soccer player in the hope she might help me out...
    Probably call the Gardai !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Antares35 wrote: »
    As a woman (and I know nobody can speak for an entire gender lol) if someone asked me to go jogging with him, if I liked him I'd be reluctant for him to see me sweaty and working out �� although perhaps shes not as shallow as me. If you run together you would have to maintain 2metres, and first dates are hard enough without having to shout small talk at each other from opposite sides of the road! :) second the coffee :)

This, I'm a man prone to sweat and would think the same. I also really hate cycling or jogging with someone else and trying to slow down for them or speed up to them. Just go get a coffee and go for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

2 weeks have passed, OP, what did you do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Balmed Out wrote: »
    This, I'm a man prone to sweat and would think the same. I also really hate cycling or jogging with someone else and trying to slow down for them or speed up to them. Just go get a coffee and go for a walk.

If she can't handle you at your worst she doesn't deserve you at your best :pac:

Go for it OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

One of the worst cliff hangers since some bugger found a locked safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Put us out of our misery op:) we're in lockdown, we need any bit of news,,, please:)

• Advertisement

Put us out of our misery op:) we're in lockdown, we need any bit of news,,, please:)
    Out of covid lockdown tomorrow...
    Going to engineer a meeting somehow...( we do chat sometimes when we meet)

I will keep ye informed..

Though I'm useless with women...useless !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Female opinion here but there's no such thing as useless with women if she's into you. It doesn't matter if you mess it up or it's clumsy or whatever, if she's interested she'll say yes regardless. Some times the bigger balls a man makes of asking a woman out the more endearing it actually is.

Even if she isn't interested she'll still be flattered you asked.

I've been locked down too long & now love a good covid love story!! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Female opinion here but there's no such thing as useless with women if she's into you. It doesn't matter if you mess it up or it's clumsy or whatever, if she's interested she'll say yes regardless. Some times the bigger balls a man makes of asking a woman out the more endearing it actually is.

Even if she isn't interested she'll still be flattered you asked.

I've been locked down too long & now love a good covid love story!! Best of luck with it.

That's a really good point actually. I'd nearly be put off if a guy was too smooth and cool, I'd be thinking he probably does this all the time. I love the sort of bumbling nervous type. Think Hugh Grant in (well pretty much every film) but Notting Hill for example, where he just says anything to fill the gap :D

Best of luck OP! Let us know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

I think it's safe to say we are all rooting for you OP.

I would be so made up if it was me :o but it's not cause I'm not running/jogging atm :D

Fingers crossed!!

I just dont meet her that often.
    I'm going to try, Honest I am..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I just dont meet her that often. I'm going to try, Honest I am..
    I live in a small village where I do alot of running..I meet this girl out running alot!!

Would ya go away with your lies and ask the lady out.

What advice would you give to a son, a nephew, a friend if they found themselves in this situation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op, I would not faff around with this for too long.

Women think that it is kind of cute if you are drumming up the courage to ask. But a big no no is a bloke who hasn't got the balls to ask either. You need to grasp the nettle on this one, get on it.

Also, ask her out proper. None of this " would you like to go for a run" nonsense. Don't patronise her, she is in her 40's and it is highly likely she has been downtown a few times by now. Ask her out proper. There is every chance she finds you attractive, but if you don't ask you will end up creeping her out, you do not want that either. By asking her out for a run you are just dragging crap out and whilst trying to be subtle you are actually being glaringly obvious, not good.

At least if she turns you down you will know where you are? You have plenty of time to go for a run after you start riding each other, think about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is that fella who was getting grinds off the teacher about? Maybe he could give some advice here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Just do it, no hesitation. It's not a big deal at all, don't make a big thing of it and work yourself up.

Just two people, nothing more. Everyone carries the same fears and insecurities. The confidence you display by being straight up and not thinking twice will benefit you, not just for this woman but future also. Before you know it you'll be putting yourself out there without a second thought.

Doesn't work out? Then no problem, next, move on, try again. You'll build up the confidence in no time, everyone loves a compliment, no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Should I ?
    Thanks
    Any advice.

He who dares wins. Or if you lose fu¢k it at least you asked. Remember if your not in you can't win. Bollox is this cliche hour

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PJLimerick

Any update to this.?

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Tommy Bin Laden

Op chickened out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Turns out she was a big Annie Wilkes fan. OPs jogging days are over as she has smashed his ankles and is keeping him hostage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Rooting for you 4Ad. Hope all went well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Should I ?
    Thanks
    Any advice.

Well mate its over three weeks since you posted, did you ask or not? Please say you did, whether you got there or not makes no difference, but I do hope you asked? Because bro, you'll be pushing a zimmer frame pass this woman's window if you leave it any longer

• Advertisement
Advertisement