Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Perhaps it's just superstition but I've always noticed them around times of sadness in the past. Perhaps it's just bias or looking for links that aren't there but it's something I dread from past experience.

My mother's family always said that one death in the family always brought another. A cousin of my maternal grandfather died from a heart attack on the way into the graveyard on the day of my grandfather's funeral. My maternal grandmother and one of her sister's died within a few days of each other. One of my aunt's died the evening of my last grand uncle's funeral. Tht side of the family get very nervous whenever there's a death wondering who's next.

We had a lot of animal deaths here in 1974, the year my brother died, the old people said it was related but I don't believe in Pisheogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭enricoh

Digging out n cementing in gate posts here today and if 1 car passed with a Christmas tree 100 went by. A lad beside me is flogging them, the cheapest is e60.
    There won't be a pine left on them by the 25th!

As my oul lad said they'll just buy another one a week before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

enricoh wrote: »
    Digging out n cementing in gate posts here today and if 1 car passed with a Christmas tree 100 went by. A lad beside me is flogging them, the cheapest is e60.
    There won't be a pine left on them by the 25th!

As my oul lad said they'll just buy another one a week before Christmas!

I'm always saying this, "the country's awash with oul money "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Great program now on Diego Maradona, channel 4, repeat +1, sky 204, 10:30pm
    Super documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Not a bad morning for this time of the year. Milking all the sweeter with an extra pair of hands. Yesterdays match was a cracker. Hopefully, we'll have more of the same today (C'mon Limerick!) Mossy off to climb a mountain. Have a good day lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Up during the night as I couldn’t sleep. Made bread, emptied dishwasher.

But I ended watching a great piece on Al Jazeera news channel about Romania and its forests. Unbelievable old extensive forests, staggering both in scale and beauty. Bit systemically being logged out of existence by both state agencies and illegal firms and the “wood mafia” who profit from it.
    Much of the illegal timber ends up in IKEA, the earths largest timber consumer.

The wood mafia also tried to poison a government minister because she was bringing in legislation to give forests better protections.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2020/11/26/romania-disappearing-forests

Al Jazeea run great general interest pieces and give a world wide view of news rather than just the same old echo chambers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Not a bad morning for this time of the year. Milking all the sweeter with an extra pair of hands. Yesterdays match was a cracker. Hopefully, we'll have more of the same today (C'mon Limerick!) Mossy off to climb a mountain. Have a good day lads!

Male or female help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

He mentioned it a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Make sure to be back by 4 for the throw in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I hope you're keeping a 2m distance ;0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

_Brian wrote: »

But I ended watching a great piece on Al Jazeera news channel about Romania and its forests. Unbelievable old extensive forests, staggering both in scale and beauty. Bit systemically being logged out of existence by both state agencies and illegal firms and the “wood mafia” who profit from it.

The wood mafia also tried to poison a government minister because she was bringing in legislation to give forests better protections.

Al Jazeea run great general interest pieces and give a world wide view of news rather than just the same old echo chambers

Throw away furniture. What a waste of timber

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

It's essential that all that auld timber is cleared away so that Karen on Faceache has somewhere to plant her sponsored tree near an orphanage and show us all how to save the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Outbreak of avian flu at a turkey farm in the UK. 10,000 birds affected.

https://i.imgflip.com/4o8m9w.jpg

Wild birds including swans also likley have been affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gozunda wrote: »

Wild birds including swans likley have been affected.

2020 just keeps on giving

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Wild birds including swans also likley have been affected.

Nothing unusual in this, it's quite common this time of year. Usually there's some casualties every year.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can the turkeys still be eaten?

That and the little lad who had brittle bones. God love them. The money raised was a good change from the the usual thing of everyone at the show looking for a load of freebies.

Heart warming - great credit to all involved in his care that he has no fear of hospitals.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nasa-adam-late-late-toy-show-5282590-Nov2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Might end up snoozing through the match. Dunno how I’ll go for my run later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

That's a fine steak. Give the yorkshire pudding to the dog I'd say.

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    That's a fine steak. Give the yorkshire pudding to the dog I'd say.

I wouldn’t be gone on them anyway. Twas lovely- bit of veg left behind. 2yo kicked off when he saw mine vs his. He got similar only smaller portion.

Wheres the gravey

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wheres the gravey

Specsavers. Try the gravy Jug.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Looks more like pepper sauce to me, gravy on steak should be banned. It's a fine looking steak although it would be too well cooked for my liking. You only need the pepper sauce for dipping your chips/onion rings in. A few sausages in the deep fat fryer and some coleslaw and you'd be asleep for the evening afterwards.

Should be on the plate. Shame on you

Reggie. wrote: »
    Should be on the plate. Shame on you

I like an antique willow pattern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

4 veg - that’s be a very special occasion in my house, I’m not even sure we have ever had 4 veg to be honest :)
    We would tend to have only 2 veg, plus maybe different types of spuds...
    Ha - that’s how we fancy things up - cook the spuds a different way :):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Water John wrote: »
    Can the turkeys still be eaten?

No. They don't go to an abattoir so they are not bled out. The bodies would have to be dealt with carefully to avoid passing on the virus

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Looks more like pepper sauce to me, gravy on steak should be banned. It's a fine looking steak although it would be too well cooked for my liking. You only need the pepper sauce for dipping your chips/onion rings in. A few sausages in the deep fat fryer and some coleslaw and you'd be asleep for the evening afterwards.

My fault, I was late coming in from the sheds.

4 veg - that’s be a very special occasion in my house, I’m not even sure we have ever had 4 veg to be honest :)
    We would tend to have only 2 veg, plus maybe different types of spuds...
    Ha - that’s how we fancy things up - cook the spuds a different way :):)

4 veg minimum in our house daily. Normally a corn on the cob there for the Sunday but she figured there was enough there.

I like an antique willow pattern

Carrig Donn- my aunt couldn’t make our wedding- teapot, sugar bowl and milk jug set. Lovely tea from the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yep - its my main source of foreign news and covers the likes of Africa and South America really well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

My fault, I was late coming in from the sheds.

Easy it could happen but I hate well done steak especially T-bones. The better half maintains I'd eat it raw but I prefer the term medium rare. My mother wouldn't eat it unless it was basically cooked to a crisp and I always said it was a waste buying good steak to do that to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How’s everyone on with Christmas shopping ??

Maybe ye haven’t started?

I feel a bit for stores opening this week, serious amount of shopping has been done online already. I’d say we’re near done and I know lots of folk in similar position. We will avoid actual shops other than groceries for next few weeks.

I feel a bit for stores opening this week, serious amount of shopping has been done online already. I’d say we’re near done and I know lots of folk in similar position. We will avoid actual shops other than groceries for next few weeks.

Almost all done here - all of it done online.
    We tried to make a special effort to only buy from Irish shops/websites...

Prob still pick up some small bits and pieces, but similar to yourself Brian - we’ll be avoiding shops a bit I’d say...

Heard of an outdoor Christmas market locally today. Guards closed it down as there were too many people there. Most of the Christmas shopping is finished here. Dont think I could face Penney's or the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I wonder will they allow people in for the All Ireland finals? They could half fill it with pockets of people, all wearing masks.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I wonder will they allow people in for the All Ireland finals? They could half fill it with pockets of people, all wearing masks.

But sure wouldn’t people all mix straight away afterwards - distancing for the duration of the game would be a waste of time...
    Sorry Patsy, think it’d be a terrible idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not a problem for you in Clare or me in Cork.

There is research and analysis that shows outbreaks of Covid related to games.

Water John wrote: »
    There is research and analysis that shows outbreaks of Covid related to games.

All the covid in louth was blamed on GAA games

• Advertisement

Problem was more local games. Numbers not adhered to. Also winning teams celebrating for the week.

Mostly done. The second they announced the lockdown, I was in Lidl buying the small lady a vanity table. Oh had bought the rest of the gifts in the toy shops.

Waiting on trampoline from smyths.

OH got a kitchen aid for her birthday so I bought a few attachments for it for her- the meat grinder/sausage maker and the ice cream maker bowl. I’ll get her a few Australian foods in from uk.

I'm banned from buying anything else for the young lad, I think it was the peddle tractor with loader and trailer that broke the camels back :pac:

Herself bought me a big surprise - a new sheepdog!

I've been told what I'm to buy her, suits me fine :D

wrangler wrote: »
    All the covid in louth was blamed on GAA games

Think that was cavan.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Think that was cavan.

I thought the county players were complaining about being put at risk or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just off the phone with youngest in Galway with a bit of good news. His present research contract is expiring tomorrow (Monday) due to Covid funding restrictions.

He accepted a full time position in a retail outlet in Dublin that is within his field. Happy days, cause I don't have to worry about driving 2 hours to check on the house every few days.

Happy Mammy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

+ 100
    I was on a commitee years ago with the father, seemed a good guy too
    Worked very hard too.

Could second that. They’d be neighbours of my father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I thought the county players were complaining about being put at risk or something

Next thing you'll be blaming Beef Plan for covid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm banned from buying anything else for the young lad, I think it was the peddle tractor with loader and trailer that broke the camels back :pac:

Herself bought me a big surprise - a new sheepdog!

I've been told what I'm to buy her, suits me fine :D

Best present in the world for any youngster :)

• Advertisement

Yes there was no testing being carried out on players but we weren't in the competition for long. Local club won the county senior title, they celebrated for about a week and somehow there was no cases

Advertisement