Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lion King Remake (Jon Favreau)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I enjoyed it, didn't hit the same highs as the original. Didn't have the emotional impact during that scene and some of the songs were flat but overall it was an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours and looked brilliant. Not as good as the Aladdin remake for my money, or my kids for that matter but would certainly not put anybody off going to see it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know. I blame my parents! It wasn't just the spectacle that I loved though. The story really touched me and I was hooked from the beginning. I loved the Scar character. Again, having not seen the original I'm looking at it through different eyes than pretty much everyone my age.

Are you going to go back to watch the original? Would you be curious to compare them? Because I know I'd be curious to hear your reaction to the original having watched the remake first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Are you going to go back to watch the original? Would you be curious to compare them? Because I know I'd be curious to hear your reaction to the original having watched the remake first.

I am curious. I had heard the songs before (I wasn't totally deprived!) But yeah, it would be interesting to now watch the original. I did read that the re-union of Simba and the female cub/lion (can't remember her name) was far more moving in the original. In fact all of the reviewers seem to be saying that the new film lost alot of the soul of the original. But having not seen it, I had nothing to compare it to and really enjoyed it. Hamlet told through lions!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone saying it’s awful or pointless are talking nonsense.

Very enjoyable way to spend two hours.

No I'm not talking nonsense. Not everyone has to agree with your fabliss opinion.

The original had so much more emotion and humour. The characters are much worse. Especially Rafiki, timon, zazu and scar. Even the Hyenas.
    The songs were way better in the original.
    I didnt enjoy the two hours. I watched The Lion King on the couch recently and that was enjoyable.

Disney have done three 'live action' remakes this year and all were worse than the originals.
    We all know why disney did this but not everyone has to love them like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

The original is far better - more emotional, better voice acting, more colourful. And honestly, I just don't buy into this notion that because something is photorealistic that that makes it better. In fact, the photorealism just took me out of it. The cartoon works because of the colour, exagerrated facial expressions, etc. which draw you into the story and there's obviously a suspension of disbelief that comes with it. It captures the imagination which actually helps with engaging with the heavier themes in the film, imo. The original is exceptionally moving precisely because it was made the way it was and this remake just brings that further into focus. I just didn't get the same impact from these "realistic" lions. I felt it was particularly bad during the scene in which Simba finds Mufasa's body (not spoilering it, the movie is over 20 years old) - totally bereft of the emotion required because it's just very difficult to convey the full range of emotions when you're using animals that look very real. The uncanny valley comes into strong effect here.

I'm not explaining myself very well here, suffice to say I honestly just felt like I was watching a nature documentary with broadway tunes playing over it at times. Bizarre. Wheras with the original, there's just a certain limitlessness to what can be achieved with a traditional animation that allows the viewer to engage with the material more. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I would have enjoyed the 2 hours more if the children in the cinema would have stopped talking and if the fellow near me would have took some breaks with stuffing popcorn down his throat instead of non stop eating. I think it is sensible to wait until films are nearly going out of the cinema to see them in a near empty room for example what I am doing with Aladdin and Toy Story 4.

I would have enjoyed the 2 hours more if the children in the cinema would have stopped talking and if the fellow near me would have took some breaks with stuffing popcorn down his throat instead of non stop eating. I think it is sensible to wait until films are nearly going out of the cinema to see them in a near empty room for example what I am doing with Aladdin and Toy Story 4.

I saw Toy Story with a room full of kids and it was awful. They just can't sit still for that long, even when it's a film aimed at their age group. Doesn't help that a lot of parents just let their kids have the run of the place as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

I saw it at a 10am Leictester square super screen screening and there were only about 8 people in there. Bliss.

I can understand people not liking this. Of course.

But some of the vitriolic responses are really chapping my ass.

1. We should all know by now that no IP is sacred. They have butchered so many beloved classics over recent years, we should all be more prepared for this by now.

2. Disney have made several 'live action' remakes over the last few years. Not a single one is better than the original. I don't even think Disney are trying to make them better. A cynical take would be that they are ONLY interested in money. A more open-minded take would be that they are remaking these classics for the new generation of kids. It breeds new life into them and may encourage some to seek out the originals.

3. Knowing all of the above, why would you build up expectations so much that you come out of the cinema seething. Seriously? What did you expect from a Lion King remake? I think they did as good a job as could be expected. They certainly didn't cut any corners with the visuals, the cast etc... It's quite a lavish production.

4. Remakes of Total Recall, The Thing, Robocop etc.., have all been a hell of a lot worse. Way lazier. Doing the bare minimum to cash in on the IP's. These Disney remakes are thoroughly watchable in comparison.

A side note...

I see people complaining how; "It's just a shot for shot remake. How lazy. there's no art involved."

These same people also post side by side comparisons and say "See... Look how different it is! They changed 'Be Prepared'! How dare they!"

Contradictive much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

El Duda wrote: »
    I saw it at a 10am Leictester square super screen screening and there were only about 8 people in there. Bliss.

I can understand people not liking this. Of course.

But some of the vitriolic responses are really chapping my ass.

1. We should all know by now that no IP is sacred. They have butchered so many beloved classics over recent years, we should all be more prepared for this by now.

2. Disney have made several 'live action' remakes over the last few years. Not a single one is better than the original. I don't even think Disney are trying to make them better. A cynical take would be that they are ONLY interested in money. A more open-minded take would be that they are remaking these classics for the new generation of kids. It breeds new life into them and may encourage some to seek out the originals.

3. Knowing all of the above, why would you build up expectations so much that you come out of the cinema seething. Seriously? What did you expect from a Lion King remake? I think they did as good a job as could be expected. They certainly didn't cut any corners with the visuals, the cast etc... It's quite a lavish production.

4. Remakes of Total Recall, The Thing, Robocop etc.., have all been a hell of a lot worse. Way lazier. Doing the bare minimum to cash in on the IP's. These Disney remakes are thoroughly watchable in comparison.

A side note...

I see people complaining how; "It's just a shot for shot remake. How lazy. there's no art involved."

These same people also post side by side comparisons and say "See... Look how different it is! They changed 'Be Prepared'! How dare they!"

Contradictive much?

I for one do not believe IPs to be sacred and am fully aware that many have been butchered in the past. My issue with this particular and the majority of the Disney remakes so far is how blatantly lazy they are.

I think Kenneth Brannagh's Cinderella is a huge improvement on the original adding a lot more depth to some of the side characters such as Cinderella's parents and the Prince. Also whilst it has nods to the original it could just as easily be labelled as a new adaptation of the Cinderella story. Judging by the trailer alone the new Mulan seems to be going down a similar route ditching the songs as well as characters from the Disney original like Mushu and Shang. A remake for me has to justify itself by doing something different, telling the story in a new way or approaching it from a different angle. Tim Burton's Dumbo did this although it was not as successful, at least it tried. Favreau's The Jungle Book didn't do anything for me, I might have enjoyed it more if they had not (IMO) shoehorned in the songs from the original which only served to remind me of a better film. Beauty and The Beast hones far closer to the original and suffers as a result, there are a few extra bits about Belle's mother but nothing to justify its existence. Aladdin whilst also honing to close the original is at least attempting to correct mistakes of the past by casting POCs in the leads which were all voiced by white people in the original, although it still has a white director and writer. It also alters the dynamic slightly between Aladdin and Genie (it doesn't work for me) and the make an effort to give Jasmine more agency. For me, there's enough there in the new Aladdin to justify its existence, I still wish they'd veered more from the original.

The thing with The Lion King though (which I still haven't seen) isn't that I don't want the film remade because it's sacred, the thing is that 2D animation is 100% the best way to tell that story, or maybe CGI Pixar style, and the point of the side by side comparisons isn't "look how different it is", the point is that the original is bright and vibrant and the animation allows the animals to move and emote in a way that real animals can't whereas the photorealistic remake just looks so bland lifeless in comparison. The animals, whilst the photorealism is amazing, are boring and nondescript because lions all look the same, as do warthogs and meerkats whereas the animation style of the original allows you differentiate characters far more clearly (Scar is the obvious example but also young Simba and young Nala). Some of the casting is also just lazy, getting JEJ back as Mufasa getting a different English comedian to do Zazu. Like I said I haven't seen it but these are all the reasons why I won't be going to see it. I have no problem with others going and enjoying it. It's certainly not out of any worship for the original which wouldn't even be one of my top 5 Disney animated films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

As somebody who has never seen the original (I know, I know) I really loved this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

El Duda wrote: »

2. Disney have made several 'live action' remakes over the last few years. Not a single one is better than the original. I don't even think Disney are trying to make them better. A cynical take would be that they are ONLY interested in money.

It's not cynical, making money is so obviously the only reason that these films are being made. And it lets scriptwriters off the hook for a few years- it's far easier to remake and sell The Lion King, than to come up with a brand new story and market it. It's all about risk for large studios as to what movies they make, and a remake of The Lion King is very low risk as it is practically guaranteed to make serious cash.

I haven't seen anyone being 'vitriolic'- I suspect most of the so-called 'vitriol' is just people like me, who think it is lazy and pointless film-making and won't see it because they know they would get nothing out of it.

If other people enjoy it, great! I really could not care less what other people find entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Was it on par with the original, NO. Was it still a good movie, YES.

I thought the new riffing of Timon and Pumba was a highlight. Especially the meta Beauty and the Beast reference.

Be Prepared, was turned into an awkward almost spoken-line song.

Beyonce's singing was a bit much at times.

The movie looked great, though and I still enjoyed it.

Be Prepared, was turned into an awkward almost spoken-line song.

Funnily enough, I thought Be Prepared was the best scene in it! In fact the whole elephant graveyard sequence of events was done very well, and I think it was because it stepped a little outside the super realism that the rest of the movie was going for. It was nearly a little bit dreamlike, which worked in its favour. Similarly the scene where Simba meets Rafiki again as an adult in the jungle - had an eerie, dreamy quality to it that I liked. This scene ended up being too short though - they cut the most important part which is Rafiki's bit about the past hurting.
    So interestingly, it was the scenes that weren't trying so hard to be so realisitc that worked best for me.

I will say this for the new version, Scar is a more tragic figure in this one and I think it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Tsch, that's nothing. I'm in India at the moment. The film started at 12:40pm, people were still coming in and walking (slowly) up the aisles ten minutes later. There was one woman who thought it would be a great idea to bring her two year old, who refused to be carried, and sit at the very back so the 2 year old had to walk down by herself every time she wanted to go out. They also have a hard intermission in every movie - basically, half way through the scene with Timon and Pumbaa finding Simba, the cinema just went black - 15 minute break for people to get food. Apparently, a normal occurrence in Indian cinema.

In terms of the movie, I was a massive fan of the original. I remember seeing it in Thurles when I was about 10, and it stuck with me. I generally watch it once a year, and whenever I need to be cheered up, I generally put on the soundtrack. I really enjoyed this version. I didn't prefer it, but I didn't expect to. It took the story, kept it more or less the same, bar some enhancements to Nala, and put some small twists on it. The voice acting was pretty good, with Timon, Pumbaa, Scar, and of course, JEJ back as Musfasa being the high points. The rest did a serviceable job. The animation was amazing, and I felt it got most of the emotion across. I knew that they had changed Be Prepare into more of a spoken word song, so I was (ahem) prepared for that, but I thought it worked quite well. The main thing that disappointed was the Hyenas. I loved the relationship between Shenzai, Banzai, and Ed, but that didn't quite work this time around, the scene in the original with them denying they knew it was Mufasas son, and Eds brain rattling in his skull was a particular highlight for me in the original.

Overall, was it as good as the original? For me, no, but I'm sure for the people whose "original" is this, they will go the opposite. Was it a good retelling of the story? Definitely. In terms of the live action remakes, I've not been a huge fan, and so far none of them have stood near the originals for me (bar Cinderella, but I don't hold the original in high esteem anyway), but this came the closest, and it may encourage me to give Aladdin a change. Maybe.

I wonder though did people enjoy it because they just knew they'd enjoy the story and it allowed them to gloss over the film's shortcomings? I certainly felt that way at times. There were scenes that I enjoyed, but I'm not sure if it was just because I enjoyed those scenes and moments from the original and just liked the story anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Preferred listening the kids than Beyonce, she was awful

Why did they have her as Nala

Ruined it

Thought it was meh overall, Scar was crap too

Jeremy Irons made Scar

They should have went the Nvidia route and remade it as a like for like tech demo

Thats all it was anyway, only worse

As cast voices were crap compare to original imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Saw it with my young lad on Friday.

It was..... OK.

I actually thought bringing back JEJ was a mistake. He wasnt as imposing or as powerful as in the original and his scenes showed that imo.

Also the first scene after the intro (which was great) with Scar and Mufasa was awful. They just seemed to add bits for the sake of it and it fell flat tbh.

I did enjoy Timon and Pumbaa (although Seth Rogen should never ever sing high notes), and the ending was pretty damn awesome.

But meh. A big pile of meh tbh.

Can't say my young lad got captivated by it in the same way I did with the original, we watched Toy Story 4 the same day and hes still talking about that which says it all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

El Duda wrote:
    I begrudgingly must admit that I really enjoyed this. The critics had been very harsh on this and I went in expecting to hate it. I was expecting it to be a lifeless and lazy but it surprised me in a number of ways.

Genuine question borne of pure curiosity - why would you go to a movie you're expecting to hate???

• Registered Users Posts: 85,356 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Timon (Billy Eichner) was mvp for me

Too much Nala (Beyonce) and this Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor) was not scary

I took tissues expecting to be bawling, never used

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Timon (Billy Eichner) was mvp for me

Too much Nala (Beyonce) and this Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor) was not scary

I took tissues expecting to be bawling, never used

Was he meant to be? He's not scary in the original either, just conniving and sly.

I actually thought this version fleshed out his jealousy a bit more and was actually a little more intersting than the original version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

PressRun wrote: »
    Was he meant to be? He's not scary in the original either, just conniving and sly.

I actually thought this version fleshed out his jealousy a bit more and was actually a little more intersting than the original version.

It was interesting when it deviated and gave a bit more story than the original.

Other than that I thought it was mostly pointless. They could have made a shot remake with the original voice cast and it would have been better Imo.
    There was just more life and vibrancy in the original.

I suppose it's because I grew up with the original. Suppose of they gave LotR the same treatment I'd feel the same.

Still, Disney got paid and that's all that matters

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Genuine question borne of pure curiosity - why would you go to a movie you're expecting to hate???

Female friend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

El Duda wrote:
    Female friend

Interesting. I wouldn't go to a movie I was expecting to hate regardless of who asked!

Tbf, I booked the tickets way before the reviews were out. It was the reviews and some of the 'side by side comparison' clips that filled me with trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I enjoyed it but agree with the comments about it being a like watching the National Geographic channel. The lions in particular were so lifelike that it made it hard to distinguish who was who, particularly in scenes with poor/dim lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was meh. Out of the live action Disney ones I've seen, this goes bottom. It doesn't do anything to actually justify its existence which I thought the others at least tried, and some managed to pull off. This is just a cash grab.

It has some good parts, mainly Timon and Pumbaa related, and He Lives in You is done in Xhosa in the credits and it sounds great, and I thought young Simon and Nala were good, but outside that its either lazy or just bad (Spirit was an awful song choice and Beyonce can't voice act at all).

I hope Disney's next versions are better, maybe do instrumentals of iconic songs from the animated films like they did with Jungle Book if they're doing anything animal related again.

Id still have hopes for Mulan and The Little Mermaid, but another bad one will kill this for people I think. Only really have Pocahontas and Hercules to be ruined after that really, along with inevitable sequels to these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

titan18 wrote: »
    I thought it was meh. Out of the live action Disney ones I've seen, this goes bottom. It doesn't do anything to actually justify its existence which I thought the others at least tried, and some managed to pull off. This is just a cash grab.

It has some good parts, mainly Timon and Pumbaa related, and He Lives in You is done in Xhosa in the credits and it sounds great, and I thought young Simon and Nala were good, but outside that its either lazy or just bad (Spirit was an awful song choice and Beyonce can't voice act at all).

I hope Disney's next versions are better, maybe do instrumentals of iconic songs from the animated films like they did with Jungle Book if they're doing anything animal related again.

Id still have hopes for Mulan and The Little Mermaid, but another bad one will kill this for people I think. Only really have Pocahontas and Hercules to be ruined after that really, along with inevitable sequels to these.

And potentially Tarzan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

I think it wasn't that bad, I mean the story is pretty much the same as the original, but they should have tried to cast Jeremy Irons as Scar or maybe not cast Beyoncé at all. Her voice isn't convincing and I'd say it distracts us from the main story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I think it wasn't that bad, I mean the story is pretty much the same as the original, but they should have tried to cast Jeremy Irons as Scar or maybe not cast Beyoncé at all. Her voice isn't convincing and I'd say it distracts us from the main story.

The story is 99% the same.
    The dialog is 95% the same.
    To me it looks like a rerelease with better graphics.

I wasn't a huge jungle book fan, but at least they made an effort to deviate from the original movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

The story is 99% the same.
    The dialog is 95% the same.
    To me it looks like a rerelease with better graphics.

I wasn't a huge jungle book fan, but at least they made an effort to deviate from the original movie.

I agree with you. I'm kinda annoyed with the fact that disney hasn't really been creative in the past few years, it just releases remakes to fill the cinema.

Advertisement