Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lion King Remake (Jon Favreau)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From a purely technical point of view, I could see how some might admire what Disney achieved. There's no two ways about it, the digital fidelity in realistically recreating these animals is quite stunning. It's just the context is so redundant, and without any creative merit. That side-by-side comparison is damning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

razorblunt wrote: »
    But Moana beats it hands down.
    Love Moana. Second only to Tangled for me in that genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Dades wrote: »
    Love Moana. Second only to Tangled for me in that genre.

For me:
    Zootropolis > Tangled > Moana > Frozen > Wreck It Ralph 1&2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

That side by side clip is woeful, i remember posting in this thread last year predicting that they wouldnt include this version with the musical numbers of the original as it would look daft. I was swiftly told otherwise and couldnt believe it, now that im seeing it, its sooooo bad, much worse than how i imagined it in my head, what were they thinking? :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

pixelburp wrote: »
    From a purely technical point of view, I could see how some might admire what Disney achieved. There's no two ways about it, the digital fidelity in realistically recreating these animals is quite stunning. It's just the context is so redundant, and without any creative merit. That side-by-side comparison is damning.

I agree the photorealism is stunning and an impressive showcase of what modern tech can do. But it is difficult to see any other merit in the movie and the realism is also a big hindrance in actually trying to get the animals to convey emotion which isn't a problem for their cartoon counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Went to see this last night. It's not absolutely awful, but what has previously been said on this thread is 100% spot on; it lacks the emotion and character of of the original and comes across as quite cold overall. The CGI is actually too good to be honest, at times you feel like you're just waiting for David Attenborough to chime in on what's going on.

They do stick to the original in terms of story (of course) and dialogue (pretty close), so much so that I couldn't really tell the differences. This is not a good thing though, the visuals (while amazing) are somewhat dull, so knowing exactly what's going to happen only adds to the dullness. They would have been actually better making an entirely new sequel to the original.

Some of the casting was spot on...particularly Seth Rogan, and of course James Earl Jones

Disappointing overall, but somewhat expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now I'm just imagining David Attenborough narrating the movie, a cross between his and Thomas the Tank Engine style
    And here we see Mufasa and Simba looking upon their kingdom. "Look Simba" said Mufasa "Everything the light touches is our Kingdom"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Was reading up on the lion king and so disappointed to learn about Disney's legal schenanigans and blatant copying of Kimba the white lion from Japan.

childhood ruined :( - they should admit the plagarism and pay their dues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJvKIDS9n8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Saw it last night. The cinema was packed and you could tell everyone absolutely loved it. A few people actually tried to get a clap going at the end but it wasn't happening.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's certainly not as good as the original but it was great to hear all the classic songs on the big screen again.

This will certainly be a serious audience pleaser regardless of reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I saw it yesterday and was so disappointed. The hyena jokes fell flat every time and Be Prepared was really missed from the scene.

I just can't wait to be king is one of my favourite songs from the original and it felt flat. Everything felt flat and emotionless at times. Even Mufasa's death, which normally makes me cry had little effect.

I wish Disney would stop with these remakes. I'm dreading the Little Mermaid remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Well reading this thread makes me all the more sure of my mini-promise to myself (that no one else will ever know or care about :pac:) never to see any of these lazy, pointless Disney remakes. Worse than that, they're so blatantly a money-spinning exercise and devoid of any artistic merit or reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Saw this earlier and I'll begrudgingly admit I enjoyed it a lot. I had already decided going in that I was going to hate it. I expected it to be lifeless and lazy but it surprised me in a lot of ways.

I think the fact that I haven't seen the original for a long long time is a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I loved it , absolutely loved it,I wanted to love it because I didn't want the name ruined,don't know what people are expecting to be complaining already ,it's not the original,if your already sure you won't like it don't go,there was tears and claps from adults and kids today, Fantastic stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I liked it but I suppose it was a bit weird to watch with the lions looking so real, it was always obvious what scene was coming up even though I haven't seen the original version in 12 years.

I remember in the late 1990s I never could get the Lion King VHS tape anywhere, I was very jealous of my cousin who had it, then around 2002 I found one in a car boot sale in Derry, I thought it was a cheap rip off one but it turned out to be the American version, I still have it actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

El Duda wrote: »
    I don't really have a problem with these remakes in principle. Some of them have added little updates and done a decent job.

My problem is the way they churn them out on a conveyor belt like there's no tomorrow. Make a few remakes, coin in the profit, then have a break use that money to fund some original projects. If the originals flop hard, fall back to making another remake.

But at least TRY and vary up your product from year to year.

I would prefer to see a prequel of the original about Scar and Mufasa in their youth as Mufusa wasn't really in the film for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yeah, it’s pointless. Sure, the graphics are probably impressive, but so was the original and I bet more work and man hours went into the that one than it did this one. If you plan on watching The Lion King, do yourself a favor and watch the best version of the film by finding a screening or renting the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

CastorTroy wrote: »

Watching his videos is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Watching his videos is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Pitch meetings are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Watched it today. Meh.

Why did they not use Jeremy Irons?

• Advertisement

Have little time for the 'it's pointless' brigade. All forms of entertainment are pointless, we all die eventually. If you wanna watch it, do, if not, don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus. Well that went dark. Not quite the argument being made, but way to kill the mood there.

correction wrote: »
    Have little time for the 'it's pointless' brigade. All forms of entertainment are pointless, we all die eventually. If you wanna watch it, do, if not, don't.

That’s not true, I watched Field of Dreams tonight, and it wasn’t pointless. It really made me believe again.

kerplun k wrote: »
    That’s not true, I watched Field of Dreams tonight, and it wasn’t pointless. It really made me believe again.

Well if you're apart of the 1919 White Sox's team you never die. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Lion King (2019) - 7/10

I begrudgingly must admit that I really enjoyed this. The critics had been very harsh on this and I went in expecting to hate it. I was expecting it to be a lifeless and lazy but it surprised me in a number of ways.

It is at its best when they deviate from the original. Certain scenes cannot be replicated in ‘live action’ so they had to think of something new. ‘I Just Can’t Wait to be King’ being a good example, as they show a lovely gathering at the watering hole. The scenes where it is a line for line, shot for shot the same as the original are a bit of a chore to get through and only serve to remind us that the original will always be superior.

A lot of reviews speak of the lack of emotion and describe it as being soulless. Claiming that photo realistic Lions can’t emote in the same way as their animated counterparts. For me, they overcame this by putting put more focus into body language and replicating the natural movement of the animals.

Although this is the cinematic translation of ‘Standing on the shoulders of giants’ and there is a clear lack of artistry, it managed hit enough correct notes for me. It seems some critics just can’t accept the way Disney keep remaking these classics, and they had already written their reviews before seeing it. The Lion King is, and always will be a truly fantastic story. This is a worthy update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I really liked it.

It's a film for kids really and always think a good sign of a film for younger audiences being good or not is if they can sit still and watch the damn thing or not without jabbering non stop and being restless.

Well, I seen it in a pretty packed IMAX and there wasn't a peep out if the younger folk, engrossed they were from start to finish.

Great remake.... not as good as the original, which caters to a slightly younger audience than this, but a great companion piece nevertheless for when they're somewhat older and have outgrown the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I have never seen the original (I feel I need to hang my head in shame!). I saw the new version today in IMAX. I loved it. My favourite movie of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I have never seen the original (I feel I need to hang my head in shame!). I saw the new version today in IMAX. I loved it. My favourite movie of the year.

Hang your head.
    The new film is awful. But I'm sure it looked amazing in imax

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyone saying it’s awful or pointless are talking nonsense.

Very enjoyable way to spend two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Hang your head.
    The new film is awful. But I'm sure it looked amazing in imax

I know. I blame my parents! It wasn't just the spectacle that I loved though. The story really touched me and I was hooked from the beginning. I loved the Scar character. Again, having not seen the original I'm looking at it through different eyes than pretty much everyone my age.

Advertisement