Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-04-2016, 00:26   #61
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
You don't have to check your bag on when they ask. I always say that as I'm caught for time the other side, to catch a train, that it doesn't suit me and they never push it.
Good one again. If you are polite and say that you have something in your carry on that is fragile and would rather it not go in the hold they will let you take it into the cabin. Maybe unless you are one of the last to board. I've done that a couple of times no hassle. Maybe a bit of a blag and half truth but hey...
Advertisement
05-04-2016, 00:45   #62
gerardk55

For long haul flights as mentioned noise cancelling headphones are well worth the investment.
Also if you have a stopover, a shower and change of clothes will breath new life into the weariest of bodies.
Travel light, pack any unnecessary chargers, books, documents etc into check-in, can really reduce the weight of laptop bags etc.
Try to put any change/keys etc into laptop/carry-on bags to speed up transit through security.
For long haul flights, bring some snacks, i.e. Jellies/Nuts/Protien Bars etc, guaranteed if you sleep you'll miss a meal and it will keep the hanger at bay till the next meal service.
If you have a long haul flight coming up, avoid the cinema for a few months, nothing worse than being on a 13hr flight with only movies you've seen being shown. Also you need to consider the return leg too.
Relax, pretty much everything from the moment you step into the airport is outside your control so just go with it.
Most important things is to be nice to staff from Check-In right through to the leaving the airport at the other end, no matter the time of day/night or duration of your flight. I'm a huge believer of airport karma and nobody gets a free upgrade by being a d*ck.
05-04-2016, 00:52   #63
Speedwell

If you have genuine mobility issues, do not attempt to tough it out. You will only cause delays and aggravation to yourself and anyone traveling on your flight. Call your airline AND the airport and make sure assistance will be available to you. I've had to call for assistance when ill, when I accidentally twisted my ankle while on a business trip, after major surgery.

If you have things in your carry-on luggage that might cause a fuss in security and hold up the line, declare you have them even if they are embarrassing. "I have a small shaker of baby powder, a plastic jar of xylitol because I'm a diabetic and I have a bad reaction to sucralose, and a sex toy with the batteries packed separately". Sorry if TMI, but saying that flatly with a bored expression earned me the respect of security staff at busy Houston Intercontinental on my way to meet my fiance in Scotland to get married. A few quick swabs later to make sure the white powders were what I said they were and the vibrator wasn't a bomb, and I was through in hardly more than the usual time.

If you are in an airport in a civilized country, you are in civilization. Don't be like the poor women I met in Heathrow once who were panicking because their flight was delayed. Ask airport or airline staff and whatever it is will get sorted.
05-04-2016, 04:16   #64
CabanSail
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ʎɹobǝʇɐɔ

Send a message via MSN to CabanSail Send a message via Skype™ to CabanSail
Sitting in a window seat when about to land and saying loudly "That doesn't look right. Oh my god, Oh my god, I think we are going to hit the ground" is not recommended.
05-04-2016, 04:50   #65
paddyirish23

I'll be taking my 15 month old son on his 1st holiday this summer so it'll be 1st time on a plane, need all the advice I can get really.
What is the story with bringing bottles calpol etc. Flight is 4 hours long so I've gotten him a tablet for all the mickey mouse sruff but could do with some tips/tricks plz all are welcome!
Advertisement
05-04-2016, 07:30   #66
BrookieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_YNWA View Post
I think it is to keep people around the main shops longer.

No basis on this,
Gates are known from a good 2hrs before departure, the only reason to delay the gate number is to keep you in the shopping area of the terminal.

I worked on a system in the DAA and developed the Airport Genie system of a pre flight SMS to customers and the gate number was supplied 2hrs before the flight. I remember this causing a massive issue with DAA commerical dept as they did not want this to impact sales of goods due to already low sales.

Its all about the money folks
05-04-2016, 07:33   #67

The Dublin Airport app usually has the gates long before they show up on the board. It also gives you average security time etc. Very useful
05-04-2016, 10:13   #68
Gmaximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyirish23 View Post
I'll be taking my 15 month old son on his 1st holiday this summer so it'll be 1st time on a plane, need all the advice I can get really.
What is the story with bringing bottles calpol etc. Flight is 4 hours long so I've gotten him a tablet for all the mickey mouse sruff but could do with some tips/tricks plz all are welcome!
Book your seats before you travel to make sure you (I'm assuming your partner is going too) sit together. If its a busy flight and you don't there is a chance the grown ups could be split up. Most people genuinely don't mind sitting beside a baby or toddler but its easier when there's two of you.

If you're flying Aer Lingus, they may let you check in and drop your bags off at the airport the night before. If you can do it I would just means less queuing for the little man at the airport. If its an early morning or evening flight when the airport is going to be busy buy fastrack, again will reduce queues and stress

Bring snacks from home that he'll be familiar with but do buy him something from the cart too, all adds to the entertainment.

You can bring calpol etc no issues, just treat it as any other liquid or cream. If you've an expensive travel system I'd advise against bringing it and buy a cheap buggy or second hand one. They get thrown around a bit depending on the airport you're travelling to.
(2) thanks from:
05-04-2016, 10:32   #69
The Davestator

I actually like getting my bag taken off me and put in the hold. In fact, I bank on it now! Most airports are quick and the bag is waiting for me once i walk there (which is generally on the way out anyway) Just keep a small bag with books, music, snacks etc with me.

Much more comfortable IMO
Advertisement
05-04-2016, 10:54   #70
sbEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
Don't dig your knees into the seat in front of you. It's annoying and MUST be uncomfortable.
My knees normally touch the seat in front but they don't dig in until the person in front reclines on top of my knees.
(7) thanks from:
05-04-2016, 11:32   #71
nhur

1. Don't bring a bag that must go in the overhead bins...
- that way you don't have to stand in the queue for ages bcos worst case scenario you have it at your feet.

2. En route to security, empty your pockets into your coat/jacket pockets (or bag side-pockets) to ensure a speedy getaway on the other side (also makes for a more comfortable journey to have empty pockets while sitting for so long).

3. Pack your bag so that it can be inspected easily
- i.e. get some large ziplock bags and divide your stuff amongst them, then pack those bags into your luggage... means you'll never have a problem opening your bag to find something or have it inspected.

4. Noise cancelling headphones (to reiterate almost everyone else here!)
- even if you're not listening to something you're blocking out a lot of engine noise (and people noise)

5. external battery to charge low phone/kindle (can't bear to travel without my tech!)

6. if you get stuck in the airport... go to the electronics store and browse the internet on the demo model pc/laptops
05-04-2016, 11:43   #72
Gatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Anyway, there is NO guarantee that bags will be put in the overhead bins with Priority either.
Yeah, I've heard this before as well. Basically if you arrive late and the cabin is already full, then bag probably won't fit. They can't predict how many of the priority boarding passengers will have bags for overhead, as I often just put my bag under seat in front and don't bother with overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post
I travel to the US a lot for work also, and on the outbound leg I like to work. But if the person in front reclines, it makes it hard very use to use my laptop comfortably, which stops me from working for 5-6 hrs.
I feel for you, but you can hardly blame the person in front because you need to work during the flight. Especially for many early morning Dublin flights, it means only getting couple of hours sleep to get in on time. Putting your seat back a little will give you a little bit more space. Also, as a reclining passenger I only put it back as much as I need to be comfortable, rather than the whole way.
05-04-2016, 14:28   #73
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Davestator View Post
I actually like getting my bag taken off me and put in the hold. In fact, I bank on it now! Most airports are quick and the bag is waiting for me once i walk there (which is generally on the way out anyway) Just keep a small bag with books, music, snacks etc with me.

Much more comfortable IMO
I used think that too, until arriving back into Dublin one night and having to wait one and a half hours to collect our bags made me think differently! As I usually travel last flight and arrive at destination near midnight, the risk of missing my train makes it too chancy.
05-04-2016, 14:29   #74
ProudDUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhur View Post
1. Don't bring a bag that must go in the overhead bins...
- that way you don't have to stand in the queue for ages bcos worst case scenario you have it at your feet.
Not really sure of the logic there. Where are the clothes that you are going to wear while you are away, going to go? Into a bag that you pay to check in the hold, or in smallish handbag style bag that you can store at your feet? I doubt if that is going to work for most people. That is why most of us (who are going away for more than a day trip) bring the cabin bags on wheels, that do have to go in the over head bins.
Thanks from:
05-04-2016, 14:41   #75
AndyBoBandy

When in Dublin Airport heading to the States, and your in Wrights of Howth buying the rashers, sausages & pudding to bring stateside, At the till they'll ask to see your boarding card, and if you are U.S.A. bound, they can't sell you the good stuff.

Tell them your OH has your boarding card, she's on her way down to the gate, and that your on flight EI (any EU/UK flight number leaving at roughly the same time, that you'll have previously scouted) to Birmingham/Amsterdam/Kerry.

Give them an old wink & a nod, they'll do their magic and you've got breakfast for the next few days!!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion