Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If doing long haul flights it's a good idea to get a pair of Surgical Support Stockings. They reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. It's also recommenced to take a small dose of Aspirin before the flight. It is an anti-coagulant and will reduce the risk of clots. Also keep well hydrated and take a walk every hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

CabanSail wrote: »
    If doing long haul flights it's a good idea to get a pair of Surgical Support Stockings. They reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis. It's also recommenced to take a small dose of Aspirin before the flight. It is an anti-coagulant and will reduce the risk of clots. Also keep well hydrated and take a walk every hour or so.

In a similar vein, it's useful to put a golf ball (or other similar small hard ball) under your foot and roll it around to help with circulation. It's handy if you're not in an aisle seat, saves needing your neighbours to hop up regularly to let you go for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

About those support stockings... I tried to order some online, only to find that I needed a prescription! There are some so-called support stockings available that really don't offer any more support than regular knee-high socks. Any idea where I could get real support stockings with moderate support without spending a hundred on three pair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Speedwell wrote: »
    About those support stockings... I tried to order some online, only to find that I needed a prescription! There are some so-called support stockings available that really don't offer any more support than regular knee-high socks. Any idea where I could get real support stockings with moderate support without spending a hundred on three pair?

Try your local pharmacy, you dont need a prescription, that's were I got mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I work in a hospital and asked the staff on the surgical ward. They go through loads of them. They are also available in pharmacies here, I am sure they would be over there too.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    I work in a hospital and asked the staff on the surgical ward. They go through loads of them. They are also available in pharmacies here, I am sure they would be over there too.

Yeah, when I lived in the US, they were freely available. I take a sort of odd size because my calves and ankles can swell pretty badly, and I used to buy something called "full calf" over there. I tried buying compression socks for runners, and I did find some for a good price, but I can't even get them over my foot (darn skinny people lol).

Speedwell wrote: »

I bought some in both Dunnes and a local Pharmacy. Both equal quality. If stuck in a middle seat on a long haul flight, circle your ankles both ways every half hour or so. I've tried the golf ball too, but the damn thing kept rolling away from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Compression socks in Lidl next Thursday 14th for €4.99 and infact Aldi have them also at €4.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

re above. seriously? not something to be proud of? its not something to be ashamed of either! its a bonus. its an airplane. how can you compare being moved up to first class because you already have flight priviledges (but choose not to use them) to doctors and politicians? without nepotism? its a commercial flight, it's not like I jumped the public hospital waiting list or get a pay back / secret payment. me thinks you protest too much! but I do have a bad back, and I had to fly with a sore neck, not my choice. I didn't go stand by because I had to be sure of getting the flight.

I was not aware that you had flight privileges that you turned down, fair play to you. Although I'm somewhat confused, as I don't believe I've protested or defended anything I've been accused of too much...
    I solved it myself - I usually fly stand by as my partner works in an airline - but I hadn't that time. the air hostess gave me a seat up in 1st class. I could hear him complaining all the way up the aisle. demanding an upgrade etc. I chuckle to myself - employees look after employees

Saying "employees look after employees" pretty much implies that you got preferential treatment because they knew you. By the very definition of nepotism: "favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence".
    Although I do admit that they probably have a right to upgrade whomever they wish or like; had the guy been in pain instead, would they have upgraded him on the same basis?
    They of course upgraded you since they know you and you weren't the rude passenger in that instance, the second IMO being a better reason. Anyway, not the thread for this discussion... :rolleyes:

but hey, maybe that's a good tip in itself, if you're nice to the staff and have an issue, you're more likely to get a positive response than if you're being disruptive and argumentative.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any tips for a particularly bad flyer? Panic here from the moment tickets are booked. Then proper confusion caused by shortness of breath and anxiety while in the airport. I've probably been that eejit who stopped in front of you, blocked your way, wandered in your path etc in the airport because I'm in the throes of panic :o (you wouldn't know I was panicked, I just look like I'm moving really slowly)

Now I have a baby I can never see myself flying again tbh. I know the stats re driving to the airport etc and it doesn't help. It's not a logical fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Whispered wrote: »
    Any tips for a particularly bad flyer? Panic here from the moment tickets are booked. Then proper confusion caused by shortness of breath and anxiety while in the airport. I've probably been that eejit who stopped in front of you, blocked your way, wandered in your path etc in the airport because I'm in the throes of panic :o (you wouldn't know I was panicked, I just look like I'm moving really slowly)

Now I have a baby I can never see myself flying again tbh. I know the stats re driving to the airport etc and it doesn't help. It's not a logical fear.

Assuming you will be flying out of Dublin. Book yourself Fast Pass (5.95) from the DAA website, handy at anytime of the day for the nervous flyer. Lounge access (~25 euro) is a little quieter and have a cup of tea, some soup or snacks. You'll hear all the announcements, see when your flight departs, etc. I have a touch of anxiety from time to time and fly a lot so use these services.

Give yourself loads of time to get there, sometimes I might even stay in a hotel near the airport the day before so it will be no hassle to drive up the day of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

People, I really debated whether I should mention this, but I have helped many anxious flyers with it, even small children.

I do EFT "tapping". I heard about it years ago and thought it was silly and swore I'd never do it because it was too "woo-woo" for me. Much later, I had a friend who was a practitioner, and I refused to do it with her because I still thought it was ridiculous. A few years later, I was under way too much stress and started to have panic attacks. In the middle of one, I was truly at the end of my rope and was willing to try anything for relief, so I managed to gather enough of my wits to sit down at the computer, shaking and crying, and I found some simple instructions. I didn't think it would really work, but to my complete surprise, it helped. And it helped each time I felt anxiety or unwanted thoughts, until I found a therapist who was experienced in the technique and who helped me get back on my feet and work through the stress.

It's simple, it's stupid, you will probably feel goofy the first time you try it. My theory is that it helps distract a locked-up nervous system and gives a worried mind something else to chew on so the body can process and eliminate stress hormones and rebalance other stressed-out neurotransmitters. In any case it is quick and free and effective. Here's a link that might help: http://www.eftuniverse.com/phobias-and-fears/eft-eliminates-fear-of-flying

I have seen a science show about the EFT Tapping. Yes it does sound crazy but it seems to work.

I have not had a fear of flying but for another problem I was prescribed Placebos. The problem was I soon became addicted to them. Eventually I gave them up cold turkey. It made no difference.

I've a nervous friend who does the tapping on flights, she said it really helps. Her bf is across the sea, so she flies all the time now. I really think a qualified therapist is what you need if you're having panic attacks.

On another note, my personal travel anti-sickness solution is a bag of salt and vinegar crisps. I open the bag and just smell it, lol... bit weird but it helps with weird smells around that make me nauseous, especially when they turn on the engines on the plane. I've used lavender or lemongrass essential oils in the past. Also having ear-plugs (if you don't have noise canceling earphones) and eye mask handy can help get to sleep if your neighbours are chatty. I bring a warm scarf I can throw over my shoulders and take off my shoes for extra comfort.
    In Dublin airport you can also buy the €1 self help water after security, cheaper than buying on the flight.

If you're parking at the airport, go through your checklist another time before you leave your car. Someone I know missed a flight recently cos he'd left his passport in the car and didn't realise it til boarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

take off my shoes for extra comfort
    Just remember to do this after takeoff and not before, no point in trying to put your shoes on in an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't take my shoes off as I'd struggle to get them back on, cabin pressure makes my feet swell.

For long haul flights I always throw a pashmina into my carry on rather than use the horrible airline blankets.

I also pack sufficient snacks so that I won't go hungry if the airline meal isn't to my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I don't take my shoes off as I'd struggle to get them back on
    Why don't you wear more comfortable shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why don't you wear more comfortable shoes?

My shoes fit me. My feet swell when I fly. I don't see the point in buying bigger shoes for flying in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whispered wrote: »

I go through phases with nervous flying but I used to be worse. I flying mostly long haul every other month and I've tried lots of things.

Hands down one of the best things you can do is get your hands on Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying". I've read numerous nervous flying books and his is excellent and helped me a great deal.

A fear of flying is a logical and rational fear. Very common in people.

Some tips I can give from my own experience:

Keep yourself occupied onboard. I load movies and tv shows into my iPad.
    Invest in good noise cancelling headphones.

Perfect way to remove the background aircraft noise and thus provide some comfort. (I've a pair made by Bose which cost €350!)

Try get a seat over the wing of the plane as turbulence is slightly less pronounced here.

If you're a regularly flier, try to zone out of the safety announcement. It only serves to increase and maintain the anxiety by demonstrating that "something could go wrong so you're showing you the safety features". Even our language around flying maintains the danger. Statements such "Flying is the safest form of transport" or "you're more likely to die on the way to the airport in your car than on the plane" again perpetuate that there is some risk in flying.

Tell the cabin crew you're a nervous passenger. Most airlines train their crew to help passengers like this. It's nothing to be ashamed of and they are completely understanding.

When you feel nervous onboard, take a look at the cabin crew. They will be completely calm and getting on with preparing someone's drink.

Have a watch of this video too.

Happy travels! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

I have a small rucksack type bag for carry-on, which I have the usual tablet,headphones etc. Passport + tickets are in the front pocket.While queuing to check luggage in,all loose change,phone,anything metal in my pockets go in the carry on bag, so once I get to security line,belt and runners come off and I'm done.No messing around,no rooting in pockets delaying people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Depending on the age of the kids , think about the concierge service for an extra pair of adult hands to get through security and take the bags for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

They were last September. Worked out well as I had stuff to do in Blanchardstown beforehand. Dropped them off just after 8pm. Had to hang around for 10/15 mins while they went through security checks "back-stage". Done and dusted in 30 mins. And didn't have to hit the road as early next morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I got the email about it after I had checked my parents in for their flight to Malaga last week.. I'm not sure if it's listed on the web-site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Yeah - and the twitter mention was from last year so I was wondering if Ryanair had dropped the service.

Anyhoo - received an email Ryanair this afternoon. Bag drop the night before is available :D

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi does anyone have a discount code for Fast Track in Dublin Airport please (I had a great web summit one but its void now ;-)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi there by any chance a promo code available for discount fast track - i had one previously web summit but its void now
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Always smile at the flight attendants and make their job easier.

Got so many snipes of champagne on a long haul to Beijing with BA from Heathrow. Just because I was nice.

It pays not to be an absolute asshole. Take note.

They will also save us if anything goes wrong. It is not all about perfume sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Does anyone know anything about the 'Business plus' with Ryanair? I was reading into it and I seen it said;
    "FLEXIBILITY & FREQUENCY
    We offer you the option to change your flight time, destination or even departure airport at no extra cost on the day of travel. We have the biggest network operating to 200 destinations across 31 countries with 1,800 daily routes offering high frequency departures on key business routes."
    Quoted from Ryanair website.
    I was thinking to my self. If I was to book a flight to England, would I be able to go to the airport and use the 'Flexibility and frequency' feature to change the flight to Spain/Portugal. I was thinking if the price of the flight to Spain/Portugal was more expensive than the business plus would it be worth risking it?
    Im not planning on doing this but it was a thought I have always had when I was booking flights with Ryanair.

I was also wondering about the 'Rewards' when you sign up for the Ryanair website and fill out all the preferences. Has anyone ever got any good rewards from it? If so, what do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd say they mean no extra admin. cost not swop a cheap €0.01c flight for one costing €200.00 on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'd say they mean no extra admin. cost not swop a cheap €0.01c flight for one costing €200.00 on the day.

Business plus will never cost €0.01 though thats the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Answer to your question here I think: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#11-2. You have to pay the fare difference but not the change fee. You can change your flight route between the same departure and destination countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If flying in to Amsterdam save yourself queuing for the train ticket machines. Dutch websites and most machines only take Dutch issued cards. But you can book your trains on the Belgian railways site with your Irish card before you leave Ireland, saving you loads of time in schipol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

To add to the before you leave the house things - I put a post-it note on the inside of the front door with the checklist.

Passport
    Money
    Credit card
    Tickets
    Bag 1
    Bag 2
    Turn off immersion
    Turn off heating
    Close windows

Or whatever's on your own list.

I'm also one of those people who gets to the airport and starts wondering if I've locked the front door (only do it when flying, never worry about it any other time). I have a standing arrangement with a neighbour to go and check as soon as he can after I've left, and he runs through the list on the back of the door too and checks that I actually turned off heating, etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

on my final run around the house before we leave will be a check on the following

Money
    Cards
    Tickets
    passports
    Travel Insurance details (just in case)
    flight details
    Take digital copies of important documents and saved to a shared folder in google to share between, partner/in-laws and trusted persons
    Lights are off - I have Wemo lights so set them on a random evening pattern to come on and off at certain times
    Taps are off and sinks unplugged ( this one i missed a few years back caused all sorts of flooding - not fun on a return to the house)

I am 8 weeks from a month long family trip to Australia and will be following this thread for tips that may make things a little better

good thread everyone

That reminds me, another good tip, not necessarily for flying but when away from home for an extended period of time. Get one of those programmable timer socket switches if you don't have smart home/lights. Program up different times in the evening to turn lights on and off and plug in a bright lamp, don't forget to leave it on. It will hopefully look like you're not actually away.

To prevent spillage of liquids in luggage, my grandmother gave me this great tip - get a bit of plastic (like from the fruit and veg supermarket bags) and put over the bottle neck before screwing on the cap. It helps prevent leaky bottles. Really good for shampoos, mouth wash, sun lotions, etc..., that can leak all over your clothes.

I just remembered flying to California one summer when I was a teenager to visit my grandmother. She helped me unpack my suitcase and laughed, "Don't you think I buy soap?" I had used up plenty of space in my bag to pack every toiletry item I thought I would possibly need, from hair spray to bubble bath.

Rookie mistake, but a good point for all travelers... don't bother packing it if a) you probably won't need it en route, b) the place where you stay will give you some, or c) it's cost-effective to just buy some at the destination.

• Advertisement

yep, same goes for towels, unless you're hiking or something. I do bring own shampoo though cos I'm particular for that. Shower gel though wouldn't give a toss. Hotels or family will have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My sole advice is to not use the recliner save for when cabin lights are dimmed on long haul flights..

Anything outside that is being a d!ck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I placed all my valuables in my jacket before security.

Wallet, coins, watch, phone, passport.

The security areas tend to be very busy, and you can easily misplace things as you pack and unpack.
    By placing everything in your jacket / bag, you can speed up the process and be certain not to loose anything.

Take a good look at the security lines, people tend to join what they think is the shortest queue but give no thought as to where the queue begins.

If you have a rental car and more than one person, then one person should leave without luggage to take the rental car, avoid the queue that will develop when the rest of the flight make their way to the rental desk.

Make sure you know if your car rental company is in the airport or if you have to get a bus.

Don't rent a car with Goldcar, EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One thing I hate doing is packing full tubes/cans of things, only to have to bring most of it back home again like deodorant or toothpaste or shaving foam.

Bringing over a full tube of toothpaste to use it for a few days, and then bring 90% of it back home again, to me is just extra weight that's not needed in my bag in the first place, same applies with deodorant/shampoos' etc...

With the toothpaste, I always try to bring a tube that's only maybe about a quarter full, trying to only bring what I'll need.

With deodorant/shaving foam, I try to bring the smaller 'travel' versions, so again I'm not bringing back a large can that's still 90% full.

Liquids are heavy, and those extra few grams might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

... and those extra few grand might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

I wouldn't be encouraging the carrying of loads of cash...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,505 ✭✭✭✭Esel

degsie wrote: »

Safer than carrying a few grams.. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

degsie wrote: »

I actually did that before, went to America with $10,000 & €5,000 all in cash for my sister (moving her Irish savings to america to buy a house), this on top of all the Superquinn sausages & bread I brought!!
    It's amazing how little they check you when your in business class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

roundymac wrote: »
    I flew with KLM recently, they made people sit up during meal service, the couple in front of me reclined their seat the minute the hostess moved on, a quick press on the call button sorted that out, told in no uncertain terms not to do that again.

that's just pig ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

When an ignoramus refused to put their seat back up during meal service for me, I told him I was going to kick his seat during the whole flight. I did this for about 2 mins when hey presto the seat went up. Childish I know but it did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

One thing I hate doing is packing full tubes/cans of things, only to have to bring most of it back home again like deodorant or toothpaste or shaving foam.

Bringing over a full tube of toothpaste to use it for a few days, and then bring 90% of it back home again, to me is just extra weight that's not needed in my bag in the first place, same applies with deodorant/shampoos' etc...

With the toothpaste, I always try to bring a tube that's only maybe about a quarter full, trying to only bring what I'll need.

With deodorant/shaving foam, I try to bring the smaller 'travel' versions, so again I'm not bringing back a large can that's still 90% full.

Liquids are heavy, and those extra few grams might be the difference in an excess baggage fee or not!

Ever tried King of Shaves oil? Tiny bottle,think its only 15-20ml. Great product,you only need a few drops!. Always bring this when travelling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement