Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy Story 4

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Went to see it Monday, if you've seen the other three, then you've seen it all before, but still it's good fun, time didn't feel long at all, and there was a few laughs, Duke Kaboom and the two carnival toys were brilliant additions, those ventrilloqist dummies were meanacing f*ckers, was nearly out the door when that great scene during the credits came on.

I was worried it would wreck the ending of the third one but it didn't for me, although seeing how well it's done so far, I would say a fifth one is almost guaranteed, I'll probably re-watch the whole series again over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I brought my 2 boys to it last sunday, great fun, was the 1st Toy Story film I have seen actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bit mixed on this one. It's not a bad film at all in isolation and the CGI/voicework is outstanding, but the entire way through I was just thinking how utterly unnecessary it was and adds practically nothing to what was pretty much already a perfect trilogy. An easy watch, and is it worth your time really, but by far the weakest of the Toy Story movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Had mixed feelings on this. If it was a standalone film, I probably would have thought it was great, but since it's been tacked on to an already amazing trilogy, I have different feelings on it. I can't shake the feeling that it just doesn't really add anything to the previous three and doesn't carry the emotional weight of the others. The third one was a brilliant conclusion and it really could have been left there. Not sure what value Pixar saw in this other than dollar signs because it's easily the weakest of all the Toy Story movies and doesn't actually bolster the other three.

I also had a terrible cinema experience with kids yelling and running around so might try it again at another time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Mr E wrote: »
    Disney Blindsides Families with Lesbian Scene in Toy Story 4

https://onemillionmoms.com/current-campaigns/disney-blindsides-families-with-lesbian-scene-in-toy-story-4/

SMH..... :rolleyes:

Yeah.... But nobody has a problem with a woman flirting with a f*cking BEE!!!!!!

Edit: Could someone quote that link? I really felt dirty clicking on it.... and you do NOT wanna see my browsing history

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah.... But nobody has a problem with a woman flirting with a f*cking BEE!!!!!!

Edit: Could someone quote that link? I really felt dirty clicking on it.... and you do NOT wanna see my browsing history

I'll just share the most pearl-clutching part of it, cos it really is hilariously desperate. The kids won't pick it up, and by their own words it's a "blink and you'll miss it", but RAR! AGENDA!
    So many families probably plan on seeing this movie if they haven’t already and will be blindsided by this subtle but obvious promotion of the LGBTQ lifestyle. Not to mention there was a brief comment made about not hiding in a closet also in the movie. Some children may not catch this reference, but it was extremely unnecessary as with the lesbian couple. Both were brief and didn’t need to be included since it didn’t add to the story plot at all. These “blink and you will miss” moments were included strictly to push an agenda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We saw the first one on a school trip (first year in secondary). Not many franchises (that I've kept up with) have spanned into my mid 30s. It's too long since 3 for me to remember much of the plot. 4 is of course charming. Woody is the glue of the gang, as always. Buzz gets less time, though I got a kick out of his initial lack of internal voice. Bo Peep was just bloody marvellous, sheep were great too. It's got that thematic aspect about transitions in life and a need for sense of fulfilment. See how they close that loop off towards the end. Liked Bunny and Ducky. Gabby Gabby and the Bensons just had that believable level of menace. I'll always be amazed how quickly the toys become lifeless as soon as an adult/human appears, the timing's just lightning. I had forgotten about Reeves and I'm taking a mark off myself because I didn't click he was Duke...

Biggest laugh of the screening? By a country mile, when Forky
    comments on Dad 'going to jail' because of the RV.
    Good to see Don Rickles acknowledged in the credits and an animator who seems to have died quite young, 40s.

There was a kid behind me who fell asleep, maybe two thirds of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I felt the end of the movie lacked any emotional weight as it was something they're hinted at before in Toy Story 2 and then backed out of.
    It was too little too late.
    I assume it was because Hanks wants out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

I really enjoyed the movie, I think it's been one of the funniest of the whole franchise. However, I do agree with the lack of emotion in the end, given the fact it's probably the last Toy Story movie they'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

very disappointed with this movie. I thought I would be a bit teary at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

cena wrote: »
    very disappointed with this movie. I thought I would be a bit teary at the end.

Someone I knew told me that he, and the group he was with, were all crying at the end. I went in expecting an emotional rollercoaster and like....it was not that, at all, or even close?

I really thought Toy Story 3 was much better as a movie and way more emotionally impactful. They should've just left it at that, Toy Story 4 isn't bad or anything but it feels a little pointless, almost like a spin off or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread for some Film Nerd'ing; whilst I noticed the gorgeous use of lighting in this myself, I hadn't realised the makers went out of their way to recreate the look of real-life, analogue camera lenses; including the use of fake split diopter shots, and an 'anamorphic' lens to make images pop that bit more. Fascinating geeky stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mokuba wrote: »
    I thought this was really poor.

Have to agree. We were a bit disappointed with it over all and it never felt as good as the original trilogy.
    Gabby...

Yeh. She does all these crappy things and in the end walks off into the sunset, as if nothing she did to get there mattered and we we're like "wait...wha?"
    They sideline pretty much the whole crew of toys to doing nothing for the whole movie.

Yeh, this was the most unforgivable part. Side lining Buzz to prop up Nu-Bo Peep was just awful. Lightyear and the rest of the gang (who were the characters that people wanted to see) were so inconsequential, they may as well not have been in the the story at all.

I may have to rewatch it at some point, but I was distinctly not impressed with 'Toy Story 4'.

It's only real plus was Forky and Gabby's henchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Toy Story 3 was a masterpiece, and was rightly nominated for Best Picture, (I was rooting for it or Inception to win that year), does anyone think this thing will get a Best Picture nomination? I really don't think so, Best Animated Feature sure (which it'll probably win), not when it was nowhere near Toy Story 3's Best Picture-levels of quality.

Besides my disappointment with the film overall, two things. Firstly, why was there no expansion to Buzz and Jessie's relationship? I thought that was a cute little storyline in 2 and 3, that wasn't shown at all in 4.

Secondly, the change in aspect ratio to 2.39:1. Very jarring, especially since I rewatched the entire series before the new film, no black bars in the original trilogy or short films. I know some creators believe the anamorphic widescreen format provides a more "cinematic experience", but I really didn't see the need for the change when the rest of the series wasn't shot like that.

What is dead may never die: remember that beautiful little trilogy of films that left even the most hardened viewers blubbing by the third film's end?

Yeah... content-content-content. Mind you, Toy Story 4 made $1 billion dollars so ultimately, the public are to blame.

Zootopia makes sense and even Frozen but Toy Story? Please no. Toy Story 4 was fine. Would have preferred if they left it as the perfect trilogy it was but it was fine. Some parts worked, some didn't. But it was not the disaster it could have been.

But for the love of God. 5? 6? 7?

I get it, they have to make money and these make money but their animation division is quickly reverting to the cheap and uninspired 70s output..... except they are not even cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 30,914 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feels like the only natural place to go from here is a toy uprising!

The Zootopia sequel feels weirdly overdue – though am happy enough to have seen that announcement; I think the messaging in the film was really muddled in places (don't racially profile people ... but also, stereotypes are kinnnda true), but the world and charisma of the thing really won me over.

Funny it made about the same box-office as Toy Story 4: just creeping over the $1 billion mark worldwide. Yet it took longer for a follow-up to be greenlit. I presume it simply comes down to how Toy Story remains a strong merchandise & branding entity for Disney. Zootopia, AFAIK, never really became much of an icon - bar perhaps those in the world of furries lol.

And best not to delve too deeply into that rabbit hole... Couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What is this Zootopia you speak of? Anything to do with that Zootropolis film?

What a stupid idea to rename that film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They had to because the Zootopia name was already copyrighted in Europe. That's my understanding.

Yup, my understanding too; was just a simple problem of the term being copyrighted in some territories. Confusingly, despite being Zootropolis in Europe, it was changed again in Germany 'cos Zootropolis was also copyrighted ... so it was called Zoomania instead 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looked it up and seems a reason is they wanted a unique title for UK. Which seems like a bad idea since I'm sure people hear about Zootopia and so look for it.

Checked Disney+ and still Zootropolis there. Thought they may have used the original name the same way other shows/films do like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles now known as ninjas again or The Assassin changed back to Point of No Return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Toy Story 5: The Search for More Money

Advertisement