Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

bicardi19 wrote: »
    But you know in reality the hardest part should only last for 3 weeks and it can only get easier.

Days 1 - 3 are the absolute worst, if you get through that youll get through anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

A full week of the smokes now :D

I cant quite believe I have made it through. The cravings are not as bad as they were the first few days - I'm not constantly thinking of them. I have no cough, only a very slight headache. Sometimes I want to cry at the thought of not having one when i get home from work or after a lovely meal so I know my mental attitude has to change before I am totally free

Thanks to everyone for the encouagement here, its makes a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Day 2 almost over for me! Hit a wall when my daughter rang from Canada for a chat and I automatically reached for my ashtray - then got this awful sinking feeling when I realised I didn't need it:o
    I'm using the e-cig and, while its certainly a help, it's not a real cigarette and I need to make alot of changes to my habits.
    But, to be honest, I have been following this forum for a very long time and never thought I'd see myself posting on it - so I take great pride in that at the moment;)

PS; Am I cheating with the e-cig?? It doesn't feel like that to me but just wondered what other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Shazanne wrote: »
    PS; Am I cheating with the e-cig?? It doesn't feel like that to me

God ,its hard enough! I didn't realise there were rules as well :) I am on the drugs myself (Zyban). It's a case of whatever it takes to get there as far as I am concerned. If one can go cold turkey then thats all well and good but it would never work for me. If i needed another aid alongside then I'd have that as well.

God ,its hard enough! I didn't realise there were rules as well :) I am on the drugs myself (Zyban). It's a case of whatever it takes to get there as far as I am concerned. If one can go cold turkey then thats all well and good but it would never work for me. If i needed another aid alongside then I'd have that as well.

Have to agree with you on that one!!
    Day 3 tomorrow will be my first day at work as a non-smoker!! That'll be as hard for me as going to the pub is for others! Will be having lunch with a "committed" smoker:eek: If I survive that I'll be twisted from clapping myself on the back:p

PS; Am I cheating with the e-cig?? It doesn't feel like that to me but just wondered what other people think?

NO WAY!!!!
    The only way to cheat at this game is to smoke a cigarette!

It doesnt matter how youre doing it, if youre kicking that habit youre kicking that habit!!

Day 30 here. Had a small pang yesterday when I was making sunday dinner, I used to enjoy going outside for a cigarette then coming back into the house and smelling the roast :)

Its no big deal though, the pangs are very fleeting when they do come, which is not often. I could go a few days without one, then something random triggers one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Still going strong here. Had pangs/cravings a lot yesterday and last night, still using the NiQuitin, but down to the 1.5mg ones now.

Another weekend out drinking too, both times with smokers.
    Still running every second evening, except this weekend, too hungover, but back to run tonight!
    Diet is still changing too, so on the right track.

Everyone is doing great on here, if your going cold turkey or using something to help you along the way like I am, well done, who would have thought you could get this far! It geta a lot easier so keep at it folks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

la, la, la, la, dee, dee, dee, la, la, la, la, bop, squidgybop, do wop, bop, bop......

Whats that? Its just me doing a happy dance for you :)
    (and for me too - day 26 - yippee!!)

Jeez I was gonna call for the men in the white jackets until I read the last line. I thought you'd finally lost the plot.

On day 28 here. Well done to all. To all those in their early days just hang on in there. A few weeks ago I used to be jealous of those who were off them for a few weeks. Now I'm one of those - and you will too in a few weeks. Although I haven't started putting my savings away yet I intend to do it from this week on. I wasn't a heavy smoker (average 10 a day) I'm hoping to put away money and bring the kids to Disneyland in Florida. I know if won't pay for the lot but It'll go some way towards it.

I reckon if you aim to treat yourself or your family with the savings it'll help you along the way.

largepants wrote: »
    On day 28 here. Well done to all.

Thrilled for you largepants, Day 30 here, we will have to start referring to weeks now, Im currently in week 5, you'll be joining me there tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

At just about 2 months now. Went cold turkey and the first couple of days were a bit of a pain, and I do still get the occasional pang for one but it's more out of habit than actual cravings and haven't cracked yet. Smoked for 3 years and was up to 20 a day for quite a while. Even went through a break-up with the girlfriend of a year and still didn't cheat. That was probably the biggest temptation. Hopefully if I can get through that, I can get through anything without breaking.

• Advertisement

Day 31. So almost a full month off them. Feel fine about it all.

Had a horrible experience while sleeping last night, this has happened a couple of times. I dream that Ive had a couple of cigarettes and I become SO disappointed in myself, I actually wake up going 'Oh NO!!!!' then realise it was all a dream - its so vivid though.

Anyway, well done to everyone here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I have to express my admiration for all of the people that are doing so well and also those that have tried and had setbacks.

Monday is D-DAY for me and I have been building up to this date for a week now. There are times when I am chomping at the bit to do it now (I am away this weekend so I decided on this date) and other days when the 'fear' builds.

I have been reading Alan Carr's book this week in preparation and while I am enjoying it, I don't think it will be the silver bullet for me.

One positive for me at the moment is that I genuinely feel like I want and need to do it now. To non-smokers it must be difficult to understand this kind of epiheny monent but I know the difference between "Oh I would like to stop" and "I am stopping"....i think most smokers will agree.

I will check in here with progress and while I had planned on using everything legal to aid me I think I have decided to go cold turkey on the basis that the chemical addiction will be eliminated quicker.

Its strange to tell myself that I know I can overcome the cigs this week(as I still smoke as normal) but I have a strange positive feeling about this upcoming effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Off them a week yesterday, feeling so much better. Didn't think this time last week I would be able to say that at all.
    Even feeling more positive this week about the whole giving up thing. Last week I was so down in the dumps because I couldn't treat myself to a cigarette.
    Still finding it hard, but every day I think about them less and less and when I do the cravings are a little bit shorter each time.
    Eating like a horse though, but plan to tackle that in the next couple of weeks when I feel more in control of the sneaky cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Day 31. So almost a full month off them. Feel fine about it all.

Had a horrible experience while sleeping last night, this has happened a couple of times. I dream that Ive had a couple of cigarettes and I become SO disappointed in myself, I actually wake up going 'Oh NO!!!!' then realise it was all a dream - its so vivid though.

Anyway, well done to everyone here!!

Day 31 here too Username :D Well done

I've been having really vivid dreams again the last 3 or 4 nights, just like it was in the first few days of giving up. Find myself waking up a bit disorientated to be honest and wondering was it real or a dream. Maybe its just another sign of the toxins leaving our system?

Day 31 here too Username :D Well done

I've been having really vivid dreams again the last 3 or 4 nights, just like it was in the first few days of giving up. Find myself waking up a bit disorientated to be honest and wondering was it real or a dream. Maybe its just another sign of the toxins leaving our system?

Hi! Great to hear youre still off them!!

Thats really interesting about your dreams too! Hopefully its just another good sign!!

How are you feeling in terms of better taste/smell, better lung function etc..?
    I have to be honest and say that I havent really noticed much of a change in terms of cardio exercise - I always exercised, I still do, its not different. My sense of smell has improved. Initially I found I was thinking vegetables were off, but thats settled. Taste - havent really noticed a change.

My teeth, gums and complexion definitely look better, loads of people have said it to me, so Im not imagining it!

And I seem to have plenty of money in my purse these days which I didnt before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Well done everyone!

I'm 3 and-a-bit weeks off them, and doing fine - looking forward to 1 month fag-free.

I will have four days completed at 11p.m. tonight!
    Finding it hard to stay upbeat and positive all the time and sometimes start feeling a bit panicky - even though I'm using the e-cig!!
    My aim at this stage is 11p.m. on Friday night when I'll be a full week off the fags - that will be a big milestone for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

3 weeks today and Im richer!! :O)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vudgie wrote: »
    I have to express my admiration for all of the people that are doing so well and also those that have tried and had setbacks.

Monday is D-DAY for me and I have been building up to this date for a week now. There are times when I am chomping at the bit to do it now (I am away this weekend so I decided on this date) and other days when the 'fear' builds.

I have been reading Alan Carr's book this week in preparation and while I am enjoying it, I don't think it will be the silver bullet for me.

One positive for me at the moment is that I genuinely feel like I want and need to do it now. To non-smokers it must be difficult to understand this kind of epiheny monent but I know the difference between "Oh I would like to stop" and "I am stopping"....i think most smokers will agree.

I will check in here with progress and while I had planned on using everything legal to aid me I think I have decided to go cold turkey on the basis that the chemical addiction will be eliminated quicker.

Its strange to tell myself that I know I can overcome the cigs this week(as I still smoke as normal) but I have a strange positive feeling about this upcoming effort.

Best of luck on your journey Vudgie. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Hi! Great to hear youre still off them!!

Thats really interesting about your dreams too! Hopefully its just another good sign!!

How are you feeling in terms of better taste/smell, better lung function etc..?
    I have to be honest and say that I havent really noticed much of a change in terms of cardio exercise - I always exercised, I still do, its not different. My sense of smell has improved. Initially I found I was thinking vegetables were off, but thats settled. Taste - havent really noticed a change.

My teeth, gums and complexion definitely look better, loads of people have said it to me, so Im not imagining it!

And I seem to have plenty of money in my purse these days which I didnt before!

I've never been great for exercising so I cant say I notice a difference to be honest. Where I do find a massive difference is in my stress levels, I'm just not getting stressed out at situations like I would have before :)

As for having more money, I'm not after saving anything yet, I'm just spending on different things instead of cigarettes :rolleyes: hopefully I can kick that habit too lol

Vudgie wrote: »

Best of Luck Vudgie

Now that you're in the "I am stopping" zone, you've already taken the first step. Just with regard to going cold turkey, I found it helped to have a box of patches on hand so I could stick one on when I was finding it particularly tough going. That way I wasnt getting dependant on them but it really helped me - smoke free since Jan 1st and havent used a patch in over 2 weeks

Day 35 - I had to add todays date to 31 to figure that out - after February ill have to start talking in months and weeks!!

I feel fine, I dont feel like Im fighting urges. I still havent been out to a bar or restaurant so thats a hurdle Ive yet to pass. I am at a concert next week but if there is any drink itll only be one or two glasses of wine.

Ive had to have some brutally painful and expensive dental work done and for the first time ever I filled out a form and circled 'No' for the Do You Smoke question. Felt good :)

I'm starting to talk in weeks as well - ONE WEEK completed!!!!
    Now that's a huge success for me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

day 24 completed@3pm
    unbelieveable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm starting to talk in weeks as well - ONE WEEK completed!!!!
    Now that's a huge success for me!!!!

Little victories Shazanne. Let them build up one at a time. Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezryder

Day 21 for me...never thought i'd get this far!

• Advertisement

ezryder wrote: »
    Day 21 for me...never thought i'd get this far!

Well done!! The magic Day 21, where your brain thinks youre a non smoker and your habit is broken :)

Its all easier from now on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭sporina

Well done!! The magic Day 21, where your brain thinks youre a non smoker and your habit is broken :)

Its all easier from now on!!

really is this true? I'm day 21 too…:)
    don't feel any different yet.. we'll see..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ezryder

sporina wrote: »

Have to admit there's no massive difference between day 20 and day 21...but i think just knowing that day 21 is a milestone of sorts helps ;)

sporina wrote: »

It is true sporina - remember my link that you didnt like?

Although that link is for cold turkey quitters only, if you are still using nicotine then I presume some of the timeline steps dont apply.

The habit forming/breaking thing - if you google 'break a habit 21 days' you get loads of hits but I havent investigated any of them to see how scientific the info is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yesterday was 6 months for me.

Don't worry if you don't think you're feeling any better. I never got that cough that's supposed to clear up the lungs. I also didn't notice my sense of taste or smell improving. But very gradually I noticed that it was easier for me to play a full rugby match. I'm certain that I've just not noticed that I'm probably breathing better now; no phlegmy wheeze and so on.

So don't worry if you were hoping for some sort of massive improvement in how you feel, even after a few months. I'm sure that your body is in better condition, you just don't fully realise it.

• Advertisement

It is true sporina - remember my link that you didnt like?

Although that link is for cold turkey quitters only, if you are still using nicotine then I presume some of the timeline steps dont apply.

The habit forming/breaking thing - if you google 'break a habit 21 days' you get loads of hits but I havent investigated any of them to see how scientific the info is!

oh right - so it only applies to nicotine withdrawal. Fair play to all those who go cold turkey - though I know that I would not have had the courage to quit at all if it were not for the patches.
    We will see how I go when I ween myself off them in due course. :)

I quit smoking on Sunday night as planned.

I experienced some dizziness yesterday and a terrible burnt smell in my nostrils which I believe are both relatively common. I felt great yesterday evening however I had a terrible nights sleep last night I must have woken every half hour and felt really anxious.....not particualrly about smoking but more to do with work etc. I feel ok again this morning and while the cravings build slowly I have been able to extinguish them by reminding myself what is actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Gave them up back in June. Sunday was the first time out on the beer since then where i DIDN'T have an unmerciful craving for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Day 6!!! Woohoo!!!

I have been reading forum for the last 6 days, would never have got this far without it!

Day 3 was extremely tough and I was about to give in. I took the money from my wallet and went to the shop to buy fags, don't know how I walked passed that shop but I didnt go in. Day 3 always got me and I never lasted more than that on previous attempts!

I think its gotten a bit easier and now I only think of fags 90% of my day! Was smoking 20 a day for 15 years and I am only 29!

My brother and his wife also gave up the same day as me and my SIL was seething that she caved and I didn't! The lack of faith people seem to have in me is really spurring me on to be honest.

Today is the first day that the depression has lifted somewhat and I am actually starting to believe that maybe I can do this and I am an non-smoker!

So fricken proud of myself!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Love2love wrote: »
    Day 6!!! Woohoo!!!

I have been reading forum for the last 6 days, would never have got this far without it!

Day 3 was extremely tough and I was about to give in. I took the money from my wallet and went to the shop to buy fags, don't know how I walked passed that shop but I didnt go in. Day 3 always got me and I never lasted more than that on previous attempts!

I think its gotten a bit easier and now I only think of fags 90% of my day! Was smoking 20 a day for 15 years and I am only 29!

My brother and his wife also gave up the same day as me and my SIL was seething that she caved and I didn't! The lack of faith people seem to have in me is really spurring me on to be honest.

Today is the first day that the depression has lifted somewhat and I am actually starting to believe that maybe I can do this and I am an non-smoker!

So fricken proud of myself!!!! :D:D:D

Good for you!

Personally, I think that smokers often deep down don't want other smokers to succeed in giving up - they lose a smoking buddy, and also it puts the pressure on for them to give up, and also succeed. I'm definitely guilty of this sort of thinking myself in the past, when my family and friends have given up, which is terrible really.

I'm off them more than one month myself, and feeling grand. You're over the worst bit, Love2love.

quaalude wrote: »
    Good for you!

Personally, I think that smokers often deep down don't want other smokers to succeed in giving up - they lose a smoking buddy, and also it puts the pressure on for them to give up, and also succeed. I'm definitely guilty of this sort of thinking myself in the past, when my family and friends have given up, which is terrible really.

I'm off them more than one month myself, and feeling grand. You're over the worst bit, Love2love.

I completely agree! I was guilty of this myself. :o

I think though that I was always the first with the smokes out, smoking my brains out on nights out and the one who would always have some if you ran out and I genuinely think that my family thought I would be the last one to give up and find it the hardest!

Whatever it is, it's helping free me from this addiction! Everytime I reach for a cigarette - I smile that I got this far and my craving goes! :D:D

I think though that I was always the first with the smokes out, smoking my brains out on nights out and the one who would always have some if you ran out.

That was me too!! I had a secret pack hidden in a drawer in my bedroom in case it snowed or I broke my leg or something and I couldnt get to a shop :)

Well done - youre over the worst!

15 days today! I can't quite believe I haven't had a smoke in over 2 weeks. The cravings are still there but nothing as bad as they were. The thought flicks into my head, I say no and it goes away - EASY!

I am so proud of myself!

Day 12 for me today!
    This morning was the first morning I have woken up and not thought to myself that I won't be smoking today. That's an achievement for me!! It means they are not dominating my mind like they did with previous attempts to quit.
    Still using my e-cig but have reduced the strength of the fluid, much the same as you'd reduce the strength of a patch. But must admit I am finding the e-cig great.
    Onwards and upwards ffrom here - I hope:D

Ah well done everyone! I love reading the posts here and I'm getting the feeling that everyone is a little surprised at how well they are doing

Someone told me yesterday that once you stop counting or being aware of how many days, you will indeed be free :D

• Advertisement

MintyDoris wrote: »
    Ah well done everyone! I love reading the posts here and I'm getting the feeling that everyone is a little surprised at how well they are doing

Someone told me yesterday that once you stop counting or being aware of how many days, you will indeed be free :D

You are free the minute you stop...I suppose the battle for the initial period is to stay free.

I am on my third day and part of my brain says that 'oh its only 2 days'...but the rational side of my brain says that those 2 days are the only days in 4 years (since I went back on them!) that I haven't smoked...so it is a big deal.

Day 24 for me..

So far, its easy when at work and difficult when I am at home. I am glad not to have to smoke at work now. Now I can stay on breaks with my friends longer and I do not have to go outside in the wind and rain. I feel liberated in a way.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Myself and my good wife are off the dreaded yokes 2 years last Friday thats 730 days x €12.75 (30 per day)= €9307.50 the cost of the 5 days in Vancouver and Alaskan Cruise we did last summer, so there is an incentive if ever anyone needed it.
    Put the money you are saving away and treat yourselves.

Anyone else having problems with filling in time???

Day 9 for me :D

I normally wake up everyday at 6:45am and between then and 8:45 I would smoke 3 cigarettes with 3 cups of coffee taking 15mins for each "smoke break" Now my body clock still gets me up at the same time but I find myself sitting around bored waiting for the clock to tick by.

Its happening all day though! Plus the fact I have discovered that I don't like coffee now! Over the course of the day, I have an extra maybe 2 hours that I can't seem to fill in! I'm also avoiding alot of things that I enjoyed doing with a smoke like reading or taking a 5 min break. I'm just getting so bored!

I am very happy with the fact that on day 9 my main concern is boredom over cravings though! :D

Anyone else having problems with filling in time???

I have noticed extra time, Im feicin delighted, I never had enough time before!!! Look upon it as a positive! Sleep an extra 45 minutes, that alone is worth quitting for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Off the evil fags since 1st January, never thought I'd do so well!

Bought a bike with the money I would have spent on the fags, so getting fit aswel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

i will be off them 5 weeks this tuesday. Had such a bad weekend though, just had a few drinks at home but half way through saturday night i got into such a bad mood as i was really missing them and im still feeling a bit crap today. I think its just a weekend thing though as Im usually okish in the week when im more busy with work etc :mad:

21 days today!! I love watching the days mounting up

However I will admit, it's probably my morning sickness helping me not to think of them :-D At the moment even the thoughts of them makes me want to hurl!

Well done everyone, you're doing great!!

A month tomorrow.. as in 4 weeks.. happy days.. !!!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

6 months soon.......

Id love a god damm cigerate i don't need one i just want one...

I have become very grumpy past few months :(

Advertisement