Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Android watch should i get

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

beauf wrote: »
    How is it is and out of date? I don't have one just completely confused about what's a good bang for buck and what's past it.

Sorry, just noting it has been around for a while. From reading since the reviews are all very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the vibration decent on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lozzapozza

Any advice on the Huawei GT2 42mm to link with a Huawei phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lozzapozza

Does anyone know of any smartwatches that sync with Nike Run Club?

lozzapozza wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any smartwatches that sync with Nike Run Club?

I know that my Fossil Sport had the Nike Run Club app on it, so I'm assuming it would have synced. It's not great as a running watch, though.

I'd assume any Android Wear device would be able to install the app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hi Guys,

Looking to get my first smartwatch. Top choices atm are the Fossil Gen 5 and the Skagen Falster 3. Also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 but think i prefer to go with WearOS. Looking for the minimalistic design with nfc,gps,decent batter and fitness tracking(running & swimming). Having a speaker to take calls would be a bonus.

Anthing else i should be looking at, also any iser experiences.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Hi Guys,

Looking to get my first smartwatch. Top choices atm are the Fossil Gen 5 and the Skagen Falster 3. Also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 but think i prefer to go with WearOS. Looking for the minimalistic design with nfc,gps,decent batter and fitness tracking(running & swimming). Having a speaker to take calls would be a bonus.

Thanks

Ticwatch pro 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Beware if you want to tap and pay using your watch, Samsung doesn't work in Ireland. Fitbit does though (bank depending)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Beware if you want to tap and pay using your watch, Samsung doesn't work in Ireland. Fitbit does though (bank depending)

And neither does google pay, as far I'm aware it's only fitbit or garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I picked up the HUAWEI Watch GT 2 (46 mm) on Amazon prime day. I had a basic fitbit charge 2 and it was grand so wanted a bit more functionality but wasn't sure I'd get the use / benefit from one. With that in mind I couldn't justify spending the €220 or more they were selling for a while back.

I got this one for €130 delivered so 80-100 saving. It arrived Thursday so fully charged it and updated the firmware. I've been wearing it since about 8pm Thursday night, done a work out. SpO2 test, messed with music and whatsapp notifications. As of now (10:22am Saturday) 38 hours of use I have 70% battery left so based on that I'm thinking 5/6 days of battery life but I'll update when it runs down completely. It says 2 weeks but I will be very happy with getting from Sunday night to the weekend on a single charge as i tend to go back to a traditional watch then.

So in terms of build quality - feels good and strap is nice and supple with good flex. It seems like a high quality material. The charger is a pin type but has a USB connector which is same as my phone so that's handy. I don't know anything about wireless charging but the little puck is good enough for me. The screen is excellent, very sharp and easy to use. I haven't change face style yet but there seems to be loads available. Navigation around the watch is easy and the two buttons work well. I'll be honest I haven't quiet figured out how to optimise it fully yet. Controlling music on the phone works well and you can download some to the device but don't think I'll use it.

I haven't tried the Bluetooth call feature - keep forgetting. I think its also suitable for swimming but double check that. I only enabled notifications for whatsapp but you can turn on all sorts of other ones. However if I did that it would never stop buzzing. I think it shows the 10 most recent messages but appears to be only text info. No ability to reply that I can see, long test messages scroll easily but does not support graphics, emojis etc. I really like that I can see and read a message fully but the sender only sees it as delivered and not read. Very useful for work!!

I've only used the Huawei app so far but might try Wear OS and see what that offers in terms of additional features. The OEM one has lots of workouts and seems geared towards fitness. Data recording seems spot on and detailed but again its early days.

In summary I'm happy with it at the price point I paid. Had I spent 200+ I probably wouldn't be but then I haven't really tried to maximise what it can do. I don't have an apple watch but its not in the same league for features or tools from what I can tell. However as an out of the box, basic configuration setup it works well.

Positives:
    Good battery
    Excellent display
    Feels like a quality product
    Easy to use
    Tells teh time and date!

Negatives:
    Doesn't support google pay in Ireland but UK has been added recently so fingers crossed
    Face customization if that's important
    Can't reply to whatsapp - even a basic Ok or Busy or something would be handy

If I remember I'll post back in a few weeks and here is a pic for ref. As I said for €130 I am happy with it and I'm sure it can do much more than I have bothered to figure out so it may be wasted on me. I like an old school mechanical watch if I'm honest but whatsapp alerts are really what I wanted for work stuff.

Gratuitous pic for ref

50522389603_afac9bce54_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks nice. Alerts for meetings and appointments and work stuff is mainly why I want one.

I have had the Huawei watch 2 for about 2 years and love it. I'd love something faster at this stage and I'm considering the ticwatch pro 3, but can't justify the price at the moment!

Btw, I don't use WhatsApp but have quick replies from my watch using Telegram so it's something WhatsApp must not have implemented, or maybe it just needs enabling

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Are there any decent watches out there that you can put a sim into?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ImARebel wrote: »
    Are there any decent watches out there that you can put a chip into?
    SD card? SIM card?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

flazio wrote: »
    SD card? SIM card?

Apologies I meant sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

So I am looking for a smart watch for xmas. I have done some research and found that the fitbits arent really compatible (or at least not supported) for use with a redmi note 5 - which i appreciate is fairly dated at this stage. The phone itself is 3 years old but perfect, so i dont want to have to replace it.

The watches i find with the functionality (and will work with my phone) are both Xiaomi - ill post links below.

I cant find the link to the review of the other one - it looked like an imitation apple watch but funtionality was immense.
    Here is the one i would like, i would prefer if it were rectangle, but hey ho. The problem with the below is there is no release date for the eu version.
    https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/xiaomi-mi-watch-color-sports-edition-official-8138

My question to you great folks is, can you recommend a watch that will work with my dated phone - but has both fitness and smart phone capabilities. On a budget - max 150 if possible. Would be great if it had gps, waterproof and all the typical other functions, hrm etc

Thanks in advance

Have you tried to install the Fitbit app onto the phone? If the app works on the phone then the watch should be fine.

flazio wrote: »
    Have you tried to install the Fitbit app onto the phone? If the app works on the phone then the watch should be fine.

Yea, ended up getting rid of the fitbit. There was just constant connectivity issues. It became painful to use.

We have a redmi note 5 connected to Fitbit Versa Lite. Works fine. Had some teething issues but got it all sorted.

With the exception of Music Control of online streaming. It requires a second bluetooth driver/connection then it works.
    But most reviews I've seen always seem to issues with music streaming and android smart watches regardless of make.
    Other than apple but thats a whole different thing.

While I like the look of the fitbits, I don't love the software. So I don't have one myself. They come with two straps in the box which is great. Some like Garmin only come with a short strap. So I'd have to add the cost of a longer strap. The family member with one loves it. Most of the Fitbits don't have onboard GPS either, thats not clear unless your paying attention. You need to get an Ionic or something like that to get GPS.

I'm still dithering over which one I'll get myself.

Fitbit Versa 3 does get its own GPS to the best of my knowledge. I have a Versa 2 and I have to agree that it's not the best at talking to my Sony Xperia XZ2 but it's still a nice novelty to pay for items with my watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Ended up going with the galaxy watch active 2! Thanks guys :)

I'm looking at this or an alternative. How is it going for you?
    What do you use it for? I'm not too clued in with the latest in technology. I have a Samsung A5 phone which I like and got new Samsung buds.

Can you use the watch if you don't have the phone with you?

Had to reset my Huawei watch 2 today and after doing so couldn't connect my Google account so it's pretty much a brick without the play store or apps. It looks like it needs an update to work with the new Google play services, but you need a Google account to get the update, vicious circle!. I wasted half the day trying to get my account to sync and failed.

So I've just ordered the Ticwatch pro 3 on Amazon.de to cheer myself up. I use a smartwatch daily and use it for fitness, there's a big hole in my life without it.

We've tried a few Fitbits quite a few have had sync issues. Though some on the house love them. I find the Garmin's more reliable but they are sports watches first smart watches second. I ended up with the Galaxy watch. Which is not really a sports watch but the smart features just all work much better. Which after trying a few I realised it's the smart features I mostly use..

Had to reset my Huawei watch 2 today and after doing so couldn't connect my Google account so it's pretty much a brick without the play store or apps. It looks like it needs an update to work with the new Google play services, but you need a Google account to get the update, vicious circle!. I wasted half the day trying to get my account to sync and failed.

So I've just ordered the Ticwatch pro 3 on Amazon.de to cheer myself up. I use a smartwatch daily and use it for fitness, there's a big hole in my life without it.

Following on from this, I managed to sync with the HW2 on Monday but the TWP3 was already shipped and I was already set on the new watch.

It arrived on Thursday, some watch. The new Qualcomm CPU and 1GB RAM completely fixes any of the lag issues with Wear OS. This generation wear OS are now better than Samsung as it has much better app support, Google have some very big players onboard offering wear OS and also now have Fitbit. Things can only get better for an OS they've been neglecting. The screen is really cool, it's like a dual layer old digital, then when you gesture or tap the screen unlocks. Battery life is amazing can see myself getting 2 days with all the vital signs health monitoring enabled. I'm enjoying the breakdown on my sleeping stats although I'm not sure what use they are to me!

CEX are offering 99 quid for the leather strap HW2 so going to reclaim some of my spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Following on from this, I managed to sync with the HW2 on Monday but the TWP3 was already shipped and I was already set on the new watch.

It arrived on Thursday, some watch. The new Qualcomm CPU and 1GB RAM completely fixes any of the lag issues with Wear OS. This generation wear OS are now better than Samsung as it has much better app support, Google have some very big players onboard offering wear OS and also now have Fitbit. Things can only get better for an OS they've been neglecting. The screen is really cool, it's like a dual layer old digital, then when you gesture or tap the screen unlocks. Battery life is amazing can see myself getting 2 days with all the vital signs health monitoring enabled. I'm enjoying the breakdown on my sleeping stats although I'm not sure what use they are to me!

CEX are offering 99 quid for the leather strap HW2 so going to reclaim some of my spend.

Does the TWP play nicely with Google fit for something like sleep tracking? I dont know if I trust mobvoi enough to use their health suite.

Does the TWP play nicely with Google fit for something like sleep tracking? I dont know if I trust mobvoi enough to use their health suite.

I think you need to use the Mobvoi apps to enable the sensors for sleep tracking and then sync with Google fit.

Yea, ended up getting rid of the fitbit. There was just constant connectivity issues. It became painful to use.

santa brought me an Ionic in the end. Had issues with the synching on my then phone. which my son broke on the 27th watching youtube. upgraded the phone and the ionic works great. need to figure a few functionality tings out - getting music onto it. and annoying BOI dont allow payment with it yet (but fitbit have just been acquired by google so only a matter of time).

great piece of kit to be honest

Advertisement