Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Down for delivery today... It's currently pissing rain and I'm told it's on the back of a flat bed truck FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Down for delivery today... It's currently pissing rain and I'm told it's on the back of a flat bed truck FFS!!!

It I’ll be fine it would want to be out in the pissing rain for days to make its way in to the wood.thers a cover on it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

And it has a decent black plastic cover over the top.

I got a heavy duty plastic and tacked it to the sides and top of the pallet, left the front open. Makes a nice little bunker.

Left room for air underneath but should be covered from most of the rain. Will put a bit of a front cover up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

I was considering ordering a pallet of logs but, as our house holds heat quite well, I can't justify it as we don't need to light the fire too often during the winter. Is there anywhere, within reasonable driving distance of Dublin, that I could get a large car boot of good quality logs? Does such a thing exist?

• Advertisement

Shred wrote: »
    I was considering ordering a pallet of logs but, as our house holds heat quite well, I can't justify it as we don't need to light the fire too often during the winter. Is there anywhere, within reasonable driving distance of Dublin, that I could get a large car boot of good quality logs? Does such a thing exist?

Lots of places will do a city bag for around €70. It's about 1/4 of the pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

Ok great, anywhere you might be able to recommend?

Here is a pic of the pallet with the plastic cover turning it into a bunker

491456.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

Here is a pic of the pallet with the plastic cover turning it into a bunker

491456.jpg

Some MacGyver thinking right there. Nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

tinner777 wrote: »
    is €240 still a good price for the coop beech?

anyone?? Normally get a big bag for €130, mixed hard wood, near macroom, cork.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

tinner777 wrote: »
    anyone?? Normally get a big bag for €130, mixed hard wood, near macroom, cork.

thanks

I get a trailer, 3m cubed, tipped out the front for 250. Granted I'm kildare based, and my guy is driving 25 miles to me. Found him on Donedeal years ago, and stuck with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

beertons wrote: »
    I get a trailer, 3m cubed, tipped out the front for 250. Granted I'm kildare based, and my guy is driving 25 miles to me. Found him on Donedeal years ago, and stuck with him.

What kind of wood is he selling and can you link to his ad

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

beertons wrote: »

I'd also be interested in this guys details, I'm on the Kildare/Meath border, first year with a stove so completely green when it comes to this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I haven't seen an ad from him in ages, I just saved the number I rang originally. He's a tree surgeon, so would have loads of lumber. I've to ring him for an order next week. I'll take a pic of it, stick it up here. And if you like it, I'll pass on his number.

Would be good if you could post a pic beertons. Also if he is cutting locally presumably the wood is softwood? Is he air seasoning it for a year before sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1m3
    2m3

I think a lot of people selling firewood don't know what size they're selling.

Some call a square pallet 1m3 , some call a euro pallet 1m3

Some call a square pallet 2m3 .

What is right

To me 1m3 is a cube of 1 metre high, 1 metre wide and 1 metre high, a square.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Anyone get the latest offer from Co-op,? beech @€;199

The delivery is €40 now so €239 all up. It still seems to be the best out there in terms of price/quality of wood and the actual quantity of a stacked crate compared to ton bags with lost of air space inside them. Think I'll hold off till the end of the week to see if anything else crops up but at this stage just want to get the delivery in and stocked up, I could really feel the temperature dropping this morning so want to get it sorted soon.

I ordered from logsforsale dot ie this morning. 1.2mtr crate of kiln dried ash or oak for €243 delivered. Was the best value I could find. Got a call this eve to deliver in the morning. I didn’t get to return the call so may be later in the week. I’ll update once it arrives.

Great spot Kmum, at 1.2m3 it is even bigger than the 1m3 crates the Co-op are selling for more or less the same price.

• Advertisement

Wood arrived today, less than 24hrs after ordering. Really happy with it. No idea how many logs as they were put away by the time I got home. Good size and no crappy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Kmum wrote: »
    Wood arrived today, less than 24hrs after ordering. Really happy with it. No idea how many logs as they were put away by the time I got home. Good size and no crappy stuff.

how much ?,not a lot of timber in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

bassy wrote: »
    how much ?,not a lot of timber in that.

Post 200 has the price and the size of the crate

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Post 200 has the price and the size of the crate

far from a good deal...……………..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Kmum wrote: »
    I ordered from logsforsale dot ie this morning. 1.2mtr crate of kiln dried ash or oak for €243 delivered. Was the best value I could find. Got a call this eve to deliver in the morning. I didn’t get to return the call so may be later in the week. I’ll update once it arrives.

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered the same. On processing payment, its Monahans Fuels and Garden Centre in Maynooth, long established business so not a fly by night operation, I've actually ordered direct from them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Is it a mix of Ash and Oak or is it one of the other? Can you indicate a previous of one over the other? I generally only get Oak, the 1m3 is slightly dearer by about €10 or so but 2m crate is decent value at €351.50

Here we go again. A lot of people don't know what they're buying, and a lot of sellers are claiming things to be something other than they are. Unless of course I'm wrong, but isn't 1m3 a metre x a metre x a metre? Which is a cube, a square/ those pallets on here are barely 2 foot in thickness. and barely a metre in length and barely a metre high.

M2JiZWI0MTU5MThmZGRmYjNkMTQzZWY3OWRjMzdjYTX-zYbYNYGTZD0RoXb58FGxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzA3NDcxMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    That's 1m3 ,, well it's 2 pallets of 1m3 each. But the pallet is square, metre x metre x metre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Here we go again. A lot of people don't know what they're buying, and a lot of sellers are claiming things to be something other than they are. Unless of course I'm wrong, but isn't 1m3 a metre x a metre x a metre? Which is a cube, a square/ those pallets on here are barely 2 foot in thickness. and barely a metre in length and barely a metre high.

Well the 1.2 m crates are L115 x W87 x H120cm. So not a perfect cube but the length is 15 cm over a metre whilst the width is 13cm under does that even things out in terms of volume? I'm no mathematician.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    far from a good deal...……………..

Can you show us something better for kiln dried oak/ash? This is a 1.2m3 crate so bigger than the 1m3 crates of beech for €239 that the Co-op are doing. Its €243 but has 20% extra wood.
    van_beano wrote: »
    Well the 1.2 m crates are L115 x W87 x H120cm. So not a perfect cube but the length is 15 cm over a metre whilst the width is 13cm under does that even things out in terms of volume? I'm no mathematician.

Correct, it doesnt have to be an exact metre on all sides. In this case it calculates as exactly 1.2m3

Advertisement