Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In 2 minds about my new bike...

Options
  • 01-03-2021 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I cycle around 20+ miles per week. I use the exercise as a form of cross-training to take a break from running.

Was using the Coca-cola zero rent-a-bikes in cork city. They've become pretty much unusable though.

Forked out 600€ for a second hand peleton bike. I've had pencil cases that weigh more than this bike. Went from a 24 min route time to 17 min on the new bike.

New bike is temperamental as hell. It's one of those racer handlebars where you have to be leaning fully forward to access brakes. Had one minor knock and one relatively serious accident since I got the bike a month ago.

Twinged my back when the front wheel came out from under me while sprinting around a corner on gravel. Could have been alot worse if I didn't have my helmet on.

Kinda getting an idea as to why the previous owner got rid of it. It's like learning to cycle all over again.

Should I stick with it or dump the bike and go for something more stable?

Which bike do you ride? How do you measure your workout intensity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Would a hybrid better suit your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Would a hybrid better suit your needs?

Originally intended on buying a hybrid. Shop was all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MouseMan01 wrote:
    Originally intended on buying a hybrid. Shop was all out.

That's a pity, supply chains are a mess at the moment, try arrange a fitting in a local shop if possible, they might be able to adjust your bike to your needs, some guides on how to do so on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

MouseMan01 wrote: »
    I cycle around 20+ miles per week. I use the exercise as a form of cross-training to take a break from running.

Was using the Coca-cola zero rent-a-bikes in cork city. They've become pretty much unusable though.

Forked out 600€ for a second hand peleton bike. I've had pencil cases that weigh more than this bike. Went from a 24 min route time to 17 min on the new bike.

New bike is temperamental as hell. It's one of those racer handlebars where you have to be leaning fully forward to access brakes. Had one minor knock and one relatively serious accident since I got the bike a month ago.

Twinged my back when the front wheel came out from under me while sprinting around a corner on gravel. Could have been alot worse if I didn't have my helmet on.

Kinda getting an idea as to why the previous owner got rid of it. It's like learning to cycle all over again.

Should I stick with it or dump the bike and go for something more stable?

Which bike do you ride? How do you measure your workout intensity?

Sounds like you've got a road bike based on the handlebar comment. Gravel is never going to be good choice on one of those. Stick to the surfaces the bike is designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are gravel bikes (drop bar) designed for off road. Drop bar road bikes generally are designed for tarmac only.

When cycling a road bike for the first few times they seem as twitchy as hell. Basically it takes less movement to turn the front wheel than flat bar bikes. It becomes second nature in not home though.

For comfort and injury prevention I’d advise getting a professional bike fit. It was the best money I ever spent on the bike.

• Advertisement

There are gravel bikes (drop bar) designed for off road. Drop bar road bikes generally are designed for tarmac only.

When cycling a road bike for the first few times they seem as twitchy as hell. Basically it takes less movement to turn the front wheel than flat bar bikes. It becomes second nature in not home though.

For comfort and injury prevention I’d advise getting a professional bike fit. It was the best money I ever spent on the bike.

Thanks.

I used a tool on the net to come up with an optimum frame size before purchase.

This bike fit the frame size result. One of the reasons I bought it.

Not sure I could get a professional bike fit during lockdown unfortunately. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

If it's a racer you have you should be able to access the brakes from the top of the brakes (called the hoods) or when you are cycling on the drops (the lowest section of the handlebar). Also, you may be able to raise the height of your handlebars.

Post a pic of your bike set up onto the Cycling forum and they'll sort you out.

TooObvious wrote: »
    If it's a racer you have you should be able to access the brakes from the top of the brakes (called the hoods) or when you are cycling on the drops (the lowest section of the handlebar). Also, you may be able to raise the height of your handlebars.

Post a pic of your bike set up onto the Cycling forum and they'll sort you out.

Handle bars can't be raised unfortunately. I've pivoted the angle of the bars upwards to help with reach.

Just in terms of closure.

I've decided to keep the bike. But I'm not going to measure/time my cycles with my fitbit any longer.

I can still get a great workout on the straights. While losing the kamikaze tactics which were only going to lead to trouble.

In a related theme, I cycle through cork city centre.

In general I dont count patience as a virtue of mine. And instead of waiting for a series of traffic light changes.

I often take short cuts through traffic lights. I never timed myself through the city centre for this reason.

Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

Should I just take 3 deep breaths and get into the habit of waiting out the lights? Or maybe avoid the city centre altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

In general I dont count patience as a virtue of mine. And instead of waiting for a series of traffic light changes.

I often take short cuts through traffic lights. I never timed myself through the city centre for this reason.

Should I just take 3 deep breaths and get into the habit of waiting out the lights? Or maybe avoid the city centre altogether?

Wait at the lights or you might end up in an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Given that it's not too dissimilar to the behaviour of the kamikaze joggers you called out, it might be good to heed your own advice and practice safe cycling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Handle bars can't be raised unfortunately. I've pivoted the angle of the bars upwards to help with reach.

The saddle could possibly be moved forward to lessen the reach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Is the cycling a commute or specifically for exercise?

For exercise you should try getting out of the city where there's less traffic and stop/start at lights.

If you're commuting by bike take it handy - don't push it through the city. Too dangerous. And no need when you've loads of countryside nearby for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

You could flip the stem? Or there may be room on the fork for additional spaces under the stem.

Given that it's not too dissimilar to the behaviour of the kamikaze joggers you called out, it might be good to heed your own advice and practice safe cycling ;)

Touché

Advertisement