Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaa Congress 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

recyclebin wrote: »
    That proposal would be the most logical thing to do, but of course the GAA don't do logical. Just look at their provincial proposal where you can lose a game in your own province and then be put into another province and have another go!

I would make the first year of A and B championships based on the league and then after that the league and championship go back to being two totally independent competitions. i.e. just like every single county club championship in the country. If the format has worked for club for as long as I can remember then it can work for county too.

What's the provincial proposal?
    I hadn't seen that one yet
    Edit: found it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The idea that "putting stuff on RTE and they will come" is 1980s thinking. People have loads of choice and won't watch Waterford v Leitrim when they can see Man Utd on their phone at the same time

I find it interesting that anytime somebody has mentioned potential fixtures this tournament will hold it's been Limerick Vs Wicklow or (like yours above), Waterford Vs Leitrim, teams we associate with division 4.
    Sure enough they'll be in there, but the reality is, any team outside of the top 7 from last years Division 1 is only 1-2 bad seasons from finding themself in division 3 or below.

Cork were in there this year, Tipperary were also there and got themselves in the position of fighting relegation on the last day. Cavan were relegated to division 3 for this year. I know all 3 were provincial finalists and there is the exception of provincial finalists staying in the Sam Maguire, but my point is it's not just the bottom few counties that will be in this.

I nearly get the sense from some people that this competition doesn't deserve any attention because "they're only **** teams anyway, and they can get themself in the Sam Maguire of they want coverage", but over the space of a few years the majority of teams in the country will have found themselves playing Tailteann Cup at some point.
    For that reason I hope this gets proper respect and not just a slightly larger Tommy Murphy Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Big Ears wrote: »
    I find it interesting that anytime somebody has mentioned potential fixtures this tournament will hold it's been Limerick Vs Wicklow or (like yours above), Waterford Vs Leitrim, teams we associate with division 4.
    Sure enough they'll be in there, but the reality is, any team outside of the top 7 from last years Division 1 is only 1-2 bad seasons from finding themself in division 3 or below.

Cork were in there this year, Tipperary were also there and got themselves in the position of fighting relegation on the last day. Cavan were relegated to division 3 for this year. I know all 3 were provincial finalists and there is the exception of provincial finalists staying in the Sam Maguire, but my point is it's not just the bottom few counties that will be in this.

I nearly get the sense from some people that this competition doesn't deserve any attention because "they're only **** teams anyway, and they can get themself in the Sam Maguire of they want coverage", but over the space of a few years the majority of teams in the country will have found themselves playing Tailteann Cup at some point.
    For that reason I hope this gets proper respect and not just a slightly larger Tommy Murphy Cup

No I'm not saying it doesn't deserve attention I'm just being realistic. Only die hards like ourselves will care about anything other than the top teams and every sport is the same. I don't base respect on whether or not the masses are interested and I don't think any amount of coverage will force people to watch it

As for this: "they're only **** teams anyway, and they can get themself in the Sam Maguire of they want coverage" I'm a Limerick football fan and I would never call them ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

No I'm not saying it doesn't deserve attention I'm just being realistic. Only die hards like ourselves will care about anything other than the top teams and every sport is the same. I don't base respect on whether or not the masses are interested and I don't think any amount of coverage will force people to watch it

As for this: "they're only **** teams anyway, and they can get themself in the Sam Maguire of they want coverage" I'm a Limerick football fan and I would never call them ****

Apologies if that quote seemed like it was directed at you, it wasn't but more just lamenting an attitude held by some (unfortunately too many).

Some of the proposals (which will be voted on later in the year at a Special Congress), are that the Tailteann Cup winner will gain automatic promotion to the division above, or else saved from relegation if they're one of the bottom two teams in Division 3.

I know that's the opposite of what one of the posters above wants in terms of connection between league and Championship, but it is something which would increase the prestige and allure of winning the competition.
    IMO if any teams move up to the Sam Maguire through making a provincial final, they should be replaced by the lowest Division 2 teams that are scheduled to be part of the Sam Maguire.

One of the proposals also stated that New Year should be part of the Tailteann Cup. Congress voted at the weekend to put them into a new All-Ireland Junior Championship instead (alongside Kilkenny and the finalists of the All-Britain Championship).
    At least I'm presuming instead, they'll hardly be part of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

TG4 will put the effort in and show the games RTE won't. It's a small tournament and won't ever be any bigger and I'm fine with that. I'll follow Limerick no matter what the structure but I honestly don't think there is any system that will have many joining me

The idea that "putting stuff on RTE and they will come" is 1980s thinking. People have loads of choice and won't watch Waterford v Leitrim when they can see Man Utd on their phone at the same time

Pretty old fashioned thinking alright. People have this idea that families are still like the Simpsons, plonking down in front of the TV together for hours on end flicking through a few channels to see what's on. The theory goes that putting it on RTÉ will oblige people to watch it since they've little else to entertain them.

Claims that we need X competition on RTÉ to inspire the kids make little sense too when you consider young people are watching less and less television and have more diversions and selection of entertainment than ever before. It's been a while since I could be called young, but I really struggle to picture any child dropping what they're doing in order to watch Cavan Vs. Warwickshire in the Lory Meagher cup just because it's on RTÉ.

Advertisement