Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some great Small men..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Podge Collins is 5'7 supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Gway ta **** unless he's shrinking over the years and lost a few inches since 2013.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/all-ireland-final-diary-29557264.html

That's bollocks and Wikipedia got it from there. Many a time I stood beside him and was looking down at him. Paper never refused ink. Those height and weights on match programmes are very inaccurate. Go back ta **** yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Tommy Dowd ( Meath )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Arduach wrote: »
    That's bollocks and Wikipedia got it from there. Many a time I stood beside him and was looking down at him. Paper never refused ink. Those height and weights on match programmes are very inaccurate. Go back ta **** yourself!

Maybe if you climbed down from the high horse you're sitting on, you wouldn't be looking down on him. The internet says he's 6 foot, so he's 6 foot!!!!
    The internet does not lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Gwan so, I have a quiet afternoon so I said I'd entertain you and give you the limelight you crave.

Here's 5ft 9" Tony Kelly next to 6ft'ish John McGrath, and also one of him across the line from 6ft 3" Conor Cleary. Where's my clown emoji

1459730.jpg

1459749.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seanie O Leary Cork 1970/80s

None of them boys 6ft. Bar the second and the fifth lad from the left in the bottom photo.

Maybe if you climbed down from the high horse you're sitting on, you wouldn't be looking down on him. The internet says he's 6 foot, so he's 6 foot!!!!
    The internet does not lie.

I'm 6ft 3 and when I talk to Tony he's no more 6ft than Danny de Vito.

Tots Callaghan Clare was a very small one. Don't know where he's gone. Good underage.

I'm 6ft 3 and when I talk to Tony he's no more 6ft than Danny de Vito.

If the debate is now at the point of what side of six foot an individual is it’s gone a “long” way from the original post

• Advertisement

If the debate is now at the point of what side of six foot an individual is it’s gone a “long” way from the original post

No it's not. Tony Kelly is well below 6ft. You have an inaccurate measurement doing the rounds, copy and paste job, on the internet.

By the way Tommy Dowd wasn't that small, just the hunched style. On the 'internet' Tommy is 1.85m! You can't have it both ways, 6ft 1in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tommy+dowd+height&oq=Tommy+dowd+height&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.9282j0j7&client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

No it's not. Tony Kelly is well below 6ft. You have an inaccurate measurement doing the rounds, copy and paste job, on the internet.

By the way Tommy Dowd wasn't that small, just the hunched style. On the 'internet' Tommy is 1.85m! You can't have it both ways, 6ft 1in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tommy+dowd+height&oq=Tommy+dowd+height&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.9282j0j7&client=ms-android-hmd-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

OK point taken . I didn’t actually look up the Tommy Dowd data. He just appeared small. Although built like a proverbial “ brick ****house “ .
    However I would suggest that if someone is of average height ( I don’t know what that is exactly nowadays) then they don’t come under the umbrella of “ small player “
    Think I saw Joe Brolly mentioned and would suspect he’s not small in real terms.
    Perhaps with the increasing height of youngsters nowadays it won’t be long before we’re reminiscing and talking about “that little lad Brian Mullins that played for Dublin a few years ago “

OK point taken . I didn’t actually look up the Tommy Dowd data. He just appeared small. Although built like a proverbial “ brick ****house “ .
    However I would suggest that if someone is of average height ( I don’t know what that is exactly nowadays) then they don’t come under the umbrella of “ small player “
    Think I saw Joe Brolly mentioned and would suspect he’s not small in real terms.
    Perhaps with the increasing height of youngsters nowadays it won’t be long before we’re reminiscing and talking about “that little lad Brian Mullins that played for Dublin a few years ago “

No problem. It's very hard to judge from matches, tv etc.

The only reason I'm so adamant on Tony Kelly is I met him at a work thing, and I don't want to sound like name dropping, and every bit of me feels he was well under 6ft. I've a brother an exact 6ft and he'd be well below him. I'm going to leave it here so.

Well that's it, Limerick hurlers have to be the tallest gaa team ever assembled!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Tommy Prendeville Kerry
    Kevin Ger O Sullivan Cork
    Both mighty little half-backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

I agree with Ger Coughlan from Offaly. 5ft 5in. 5ft 6in at most.

2 All Irelands
    2 All Stars,
    7 Leinster Championships (Offaly had none when he started out)
    Started and finished 11 Senior Leinster Hurling finals in a row which is a record.
    5 county senior hurling championships.
    Wing Back on Offaly Team of the Millenium.
    Saw him marking way bigger men like Kevin Hennessy and his stick work was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Shane O'Donnell and Tony Kelly, Clare.
    Tony Kelly is nearly six foot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well that's it, Limerick hurlers have to be the tallest gaa team ever assembled!

All except for Graeme Mulcahy and Peter Casey.
    Graeme probably 5'7"
    Peter maybe slightly more but built like a tank.
    (Kyle Hayes is 6'6")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

As a dubs fan the greatest small men in gaa would have to be john and paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Brian dooher sprang to mind but i see on the net he is 5ft 10 so not exactly pint sized. Maybe similar to tommy dowd he just looked smaller because of his style.

Bernard flynn, he was tiny though but a decent forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

John mullane

• Advertisement

Fredinho wrote: »
    John mullane

He's 6ft.

Peter Canavan of Tyrone would probably qualify as one of the smaller and lighter players .
    Not in the " Brick ......house " mode like Dowd or McCartin from Down.

Peter Canavan of Tyrone would probably qualify as one of the smaller and lighter players .
    Not in the " Brick ......house " mode like Dowd or McCartin from Down.

Very slight build, particularly pre 2003. And he trying to mix it with Jason Akremanis, the Australian in the Compromise Rules. No go back in him.

Joe Higgins Laois, was about 5ft 8, slight, but some baller. All Star 2003. With Pauric Clancy 6ft 4in here.

INPHO_00099265.jpg

Jamesie 'Shiner' Brennan, Kilkenny and Dublin for a year or so was around 5ft 7/8.

He was brilliant underage and has two senior hurling all irelands with Kilkenny 1992/93. He was a tasty hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Wee Martin McHugh, genius of a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Deccy pocket rocket Meehan in the early noughties was a galway baller

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tommy Dowd ( Meath )

6"1

tommydowdwithvan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ryan McHugh (5"9)

Advertisement