Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Massage Gun?

Options
  • 11-02-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a massage gun please? Just for general tightness/soreness. Doing a lot of road running these days but from a GAA background and would usually be training if it wasn't for Covid. Budget of up to €200. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I got a Wattne and it is good for what it is and had its uses. But I don't think it's ultimately any better than a combo of foam roller, lacrosse ball and massage stick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

tadgho wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a massage gun please? Just for general tightness/soreness. Doing a lot of road running these days but from a GAA background and would usually be training if it wasn't for Covid. Budget of up to €200. Thanks!

Holy god 200 quid for a massage gun?
    You'd be as well using a roller. Although they give a short term temporary decrease in pain/stiffness at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I bought this but it was on Amazon when you could and not with additional Brexit issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Xgody-Athletes-Percussion-High-Power-Brushless/dp/B085NLZFRG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

aquinn wrote: »
    I bought this but it was on Amazon when you could and not with additional Brexit issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Xgody-Athletes-Percussion-High-Power-Brushless/dp/B085NLZFRG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Effective?? :)

tadgho wrote: »
    Effective?? :)

Yeah, like it isn't totally painless but effective I think so. Easier than a nasty foam roller anyway.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Yeah, like it isn't totally painless but effective I think so. Easier than a nasty foam roller anyway.

Define effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

BiggJim wrote: »
    Holy god 200 quid for a massage gun?
    You'd be as well using a roller. Although they give a short term temporary decrease in pain/stiffness at most.

Not even remotely true, a decent gun will get knots that a foam roller hasn't a hope of getting.
    There's a reason a physios use their hands, massage guns and body tempering and not have ya roll yourself.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Not even remotely true, a decent gun will get knots that a foam roller hasn't a hope of getting.
    There's a reason a physios use their hands, massage guns and body tempering and not have ya roll yourself.

Wrong. There's a reason any decent physio will not rely very much on manual therapy at all.

Define effective?

Have used it on a tight calf and it has definitely helped.

Wrong. There's a reason any decent physio will not rely very much on manual therapy at all.

We're talking about massage guns the main usage for them is to treat and remove muscle knots/tightness not treat injuries, that's the opposite of what they're for.
    So no I'm not wrong if I have knot issues I need my physio to sort it's 90% manual therapy 10% stretching technique.

Same goes for everyone I know who lifts relatively heavy and needs treatment for knot related issues. Knots and tightness aren't necessarily caused by postural issues or imbalance as such and has to be stretched and manually treated.

• Advertisement

We're talking about massage guns the main usage for them is to treat and remove muscle knots/tightness not treat injuries, that's the opposite of what they're for.
    So no I'm not wrong if I have knot issues I need my physio to sort it's 90% manual therapy 10% stretching technique.

Same goes for everyone I know who lifts relatively heavy and needs treatment for knot related issues. Knots and tightness aren't necessarily caused by postural issues or imbalance as such and has to be stretched and manually treated.

The evidence base surrounding muscle "knots" is very weak and inconclusive. Massage can still have some great benefits (relaxation, short term analgesia) but I certainly wouldn't be spending 200 euro on a massage gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I did a bit of research before Christmas and bought a gun in the sale as a gift for someone. I searched for ones on Amazon UK that were less than 100, and then enabled 'best average review', and then I bought the one that was on sale... Can't even remember the brand, they seem largely interchangeable. I think I spent 50-60. To be honest even after Brexit I think it would still be worth going this way, because the price of them in Ireland is shocking.

From what I could see there is little advantage in buying one of the ones in the 100-200 price range compared to in the 50-100 bracket. The RPM seemed similar. They're all cheaply made in China at the end of the day.

The evidence base surrounding muscle "knots" is very weak and inconclusive. Massage can still have some great benefits (relaxation, short term analgesia) but I certainly wouldn't be spending 200 euro on a massage gun.

As someone who suffers with the ****ers, they most certainly are real, I've physically felt them and had them "popped", massaged out etc as again have many of my friends. I've also had several interactions with well regarded physios who can explain them much better than I can and all agree they are a thing.

I wouldn't spend €200 on one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Here's one from an Irish company based in Tipperary:

https://powerballs.com/shop/massage-gun (€97.99)

Or they have a bundle with a skipping rope and metal gripper: (€115.99)

https://powerballs.com/shop/massage-gun-bundle

As someone who suffers with the ****ers, they most certainly are real, I've physically felt them and had them "popped", massaged out etc as again have many of my friends. I've also had several interactions with well regarded physios who can explain them much better than I can and all agree they are a thing.

There is no consensus on what they are, research consistently shows poor reliability in the ability of therapists to locate adverse muscle knots or taut bands with even the world’s leading experts, including David Simons, being unable to locate them.

Therefore it's impossible to clarify what massage etc is actually doing. Any benefit likely be explained by other psychosocial variables (placebo, relaxation, positive interaction with a therapist, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Now that's a company with a name I'd buy stock in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The fact you perceived a benefit is not actually proof that it’s doing what you think it is, or that ‘knots’ are actually a thing.

Myofasical release or manual therapy can certainly create temporary increases in range of motion and reduction in pain. It’s an effective method when combined with movement, but not a magic bullet.

Massage is also relaxing and stress reducing, which can have a big effect on pain perception. But no evidence of knots being a thing.

Cill94 wrote: »
    The fact you perceived a benefit is not actually proof that it’s doing what you think it is, or that ‘knots’ are actually a thing.

Myofasical release or manual therapy can certainly create temporary increases in range of motion and reduction in pain. It’s an effective method when combined with movement, but not a magic bullet.

Massage is also relaxing and stress reducing, which can have a big effect on pain perception. But no evidence of knots being a thing.

Thank you !!

And just to note although Cill has said it and I think I may have said it myself but if you get any kind of perceived benefit from a treatment/technique etc then happy days work away, I just wouldn't advise anyone to spend 200 euro on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thank you !!

And just to note although Cill has said it and I think I may have said it myself but if you get any kind of perceived benefit from a treatment/technique etc then happy days work away, I just wouldn't advise anyone to spend 200 euro on it.

I know the limitations of what soft tissue work like rolling and it's only ever really to get that temporary benefit to get more out of actual mobility work.

That said, I got the gun as something of a shot to nothing for my hip in a "well, I'll try anything at this point".

I've nothing against them - I don't think they're any better than the likes of a lacrosse ball or massage stick for getting at certain areas - but it's still important to be aware of the limitations of these things.

There's a good article somewhere along the lines of "foam rolling works but not how you think" or words to that effect, which outlines what yourself and Cill are saying and what is actually happening

I know the limitations of what soft tissue work like rolling and it's only ever really to get that temporary benefit to get more out of actual mobility work.

That said, I got the gun as something of a shot to nothing for my hip in a "well, I'll try anything at this point".

I've nothing against them - I don't think they're any better than the likes of a lacrosse ball or massage stick for getting at certain areas - but it's still important to be aware of the limitations of these things.

There's a good article somewhere along the lines of "foam rolling works but not how you think" or words to that effect, which outlines what yourself and Cill are saying and what is actually happening

I think the important thing is that you understand the limitations of the tool as you say.
    I'd agree with you on them being of the same utility as a lacrosse ball or roller, they do have some utility it's just important to be aware of what they do and do not do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tautological

I've got the Medcursor one after a stupid amount of reading around. Had it 4 months and been happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

I have the Wattne which I find very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Here's one from an Irish company based in Tipperary:

https://powerballs.com/shop/massage-gun (€97.99)

Or they have a bundle with a skipping rope and metal gripper: (€115.99)

https://powerballs.com/shop/massage-gun-bundle

Anyone tried this one? What are some other good makes to compare against?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Superrr

I have one Urikar AT1 Massage Gun, which is well-built, powerful, quiet and intelligent. It is my first massage gun and I love it very much. I usually use it to relieve the calf soreness- it helps.
    You may also check Urikar Pro 2 Massage Gun. I saw its deals on dealwiki. $50 around at a discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s plenty available for 100 euro. Which is not a lot considering the price of multiple massages

Advertisement