Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The cruelty in ham, pork and bacon.

2»

Comments

In the USA there have been calls for cancer warnings on some meat and poultry products

https://cspinet.org/news/cancer-warning-label-urged-processed-meat-poultry-20161201

Which has what to do with animal cruelty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

carfinder wrote: »
    Bricktop in the movie Snatch had an interesting take on keeping pigs :pac:
    Or in the recent ZeroZeroZero series on TV, as an alternative to sleeping with the fishes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A farmer a few posts ago was going on about overly processed foods like it's specific to non meat foods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's yet another reason, on top of the cruelty that you mention, not to eat pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

El Tarangu wrote: »
    It's yet another reason, on top of the cruelty that you mention, not to eat pigs.

Lol I think you missed his point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Gary kk wrote: »
    Lol I think you missed his point

oh I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

For me I saw recently how 'Ham' is pork but overly coloured to make it pink.
    That additive is added during 'production'.
    The WHO has marked that additive as carcinogenic for humans.
    We don't know what is (was) in our food

https://youtu.be/nX1KUPZC3Ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

65535 wrote: »
    For me I saw recently how 'Ham' is pork but overly coloured to make it pink.
    That additive is added during 'production'.
    The WHO has marked that additive as carcinogenic for humans.
    We don't know what is (was) in our food

https://youtu.be/nX1KUPZC3Ck

The video refers to sodium nitrite which is used a preservative and colour enhancer in certain foods.

Decent article here

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful#minimizing-exposure

Not a huge fan of highly processed foods personally

As for how healthy it is - Any food eaten in moderation is generally considered OK. The levels added to foodstuffs are set as values that ensure that a person consuming a typical diet would not exceed the Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for these additives

And I'm fairly sure we do know what is in our foods. Simply check the label.

All foodstuffs:
    must comply with both the labelling provisions for food which is laid down in Regulation (EU) No. 1169/2011 as amended and with the more specific labelling for food additives as laid down in chapter IV of Regulation (EC) No. 1333/2008 on food additives. Regulation (EU) No. 1169/2011 requires the labelling of additives on all prepackaged foods

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PainInTheArse

Apparently, this is from a pig farm in Ireland.

Sure it doesn't happen here, due to our high animal welfare.

Warning, sad content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

The majority of pigs in Ireland are reared in pens on bare slatted flooring. #FACT
    The EU pigs directive is largely ignored. #FACT
    Nearly all pigs have clipped teeth and docked tails (Even in so called "higher welfare farms") #FACT
    They are nearly all gassed with co2, which is a very painfull death. #FACT

#Facts is facts
    #Farms not factories
    #end pig pain

*source: DAFM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hi Matt007

Would you have links to these. Searching for this information just turns up lots of results and is impossible to find the data you have quoted.

Thanks

Advertisement