Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Cabling in New development

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

No harm put in in and it is future proofed, but at the end of the day the vast majority of people wouldn't know what an ethernet cable or RJ45 faceplate was if it hit them in the face. So it doesn't even cross most people's minds when buying a house, so many builders simply won't bother with it.

TV streaming is huge now and growing. I'd be surprised if most people weren't thinking about internet service provision when buying or renting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

TV streaming is and people do know about that. But they don't know the ins and outs of it. Internet, ethernet, wifi, smart TV, etc etc, it is all just "wifi" in their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dubrov wrote: »
    Of course it affects the value. Some people wouldn't buy a place without network cabling. Less buyers means lower price.

The vast majority of people I know wouldn't care either way.

Cat5e is fine. People here and elsewhere keep talking about 10gig ethernet like its going to become a common place thing. It's not, not for a very long time. The reality of it is that increasing speeds past 1 gig is of significantly diminishing returns.

Take the extra 500 quid, invest into some well placed access points to get good wifi signal throughout the house.

I'm sorry but network cabling does not have any significant effect on the sale price. Sure, some people would value it and know the ins and outs of it, but the majority haven't a notion or a care in the world about it.
    The chances are if it is put in , it'll be the wrong spec, improperly wired and a poor quality job.

10 gig is largely pointless in most of the country when the broadband service can barely deliver 500mbs and even far, far less in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

An interesting thing I came across was the request for further information from Meath Co Co for the next phase of an estate.

I realise it’s a suggestion/recommendation but I must say I’m very glad to see it recommended!

• Advertisement

council are going outsite of their remit by making commenting on the internal fit out of the houses. They should be concerned with ensuring appropriate ducting is installed to get a broadband service up to the door and no more.

council are going outsite of their remit by making commenting on the internal fit out of the houses. They should be concerned with ensuring appropriate ducting is installed to get a broadband service up to the door and no more.

Agree with ensuring there are are least two service providers available to the property, but I think it’s a good thing that they recommend networking the houses - the developer will probably comply just for the sake of “meeting the recommendations” in case they have to revise something else - its costing them very little and it means if you or I buy the house in 5 years time it should have that little extra feature.

The 1 in 20 people that know what it’s used for will appreciate it also. At the end of the day it does no harm to fit it I think...

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is so cheap and easy for them to do it that they may as well even if only 1 in 20 buyers are interested in it.

awec wrote: »
    It is so cheap and easy for them to do it that they may as well even if only 1 in 20 buyers are interested in it.

Exactly - and I consider myself the 1 in 20 in this case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Network cabling what exactly would that mean?

• Advertisement

Network cabling what exactly would that mean?

It means Ethernet cables ran between rooms to allow for hardwired connections for devices to your broadband router. Basically instead of WiFi you’re plugging the device straight into the router which, in theory, means a faster more stable connection, especially with the higher standards of construction in new builds or with older concrete houses.

As a follow on, if you connect a few or most of your devices with network cable it means that your WiFi network is less congested and should perform better also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It would be pointless to install ethernet in every house ,
    since many houses will have no internet,
    Many older people do not need broadband or want to pay for it.
    i moved into a new apartment, every unit has a telephone cable wired
    into it, with a wired socket ,to plug a phone into,
    or to plug in a broadband router .
    most people i know just use the wifi from the router ,
    and use 1 ethernet cable to plug into a pc or a gaming console.
    probably 1 in 10 people would use it ,if every unit had ethernet cables installed.
    i setup a network using 2 units like this

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=wrwtplqai&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE6CfFI0sTylqj-DYeaAjfqMK5WVizxvsnlgi4atX6rMDP10TxYtoOoaAo1oEALw_wcB

to connect an xbox to the router since it was easier than running
    ethernet through 3 rooms .

its helpful if the houses are prewired ,
    eg theres a phone line going into each house to a connection
    point usually in the hall or a room downstairs .
    this line connects to the local telecom network cabinet.
    This enables a quick connection if you decide to order broadband
    when you move in .
    Some people just use the internet using a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

riclad wrote: »
    It would be pointless to install ethernet in every house ,
    since many houses will have no internet,
    Many older people do not need broadband or want to pay for it.
    i moved into a new apartment, every unit has a telephone cable wired
    into it, with a wired socket ,to plug a phone into,
    or to plug in a broadband router .
    most people i know just use the wifi from the router ,
    and use 1 ethernet cable to plug into a pc or a gaming console.
    probably 1 in 10 people would use it ,if every unit had ethernet cables installed.
    i setup a network using 2 units like this

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=wrwtplqai&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE6CfFI0sTylqj-DYeaAjfqMK5WVizxvsnlgi4atX6rMDP10TxYtoOoaAo1oEALw_wcB

to connect an xbox to the router since it was easier than running
    ethernet through 3 rooms .

its helpful if the houses are prewired ,
    eg theres a phone line going into each house to a connection
    point usually in the hall or a room downstairs .
    this line connects to the local telecom network cabinet.
    This enables a quick connection if you decide to order broadband
    when you move in .
    Some people just use the internet using a mobile phone.

Powerline is very limited when compared with proper Cat6 cabling throughout the property.

In sure old people and luddites would find little use for it. They're unlikely to be in the market for a new build. It makes complete sense for someone to future proof their property. IOT is only becoming bigger, as are the demands on streaming and remote work.

Loads of people who thought their Internet was grand found out that it wasn't up to scratch during the pandemic when multiple members of the household needing to video conference at once became common.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Sounds like overkill if you want it out it in yourself I doubt most people know or care about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Cat 6 is a bit more hassle for connectors, sockets, etc. Cables are a bit more expenses, so some price difference is to be expected. Cat 5e is certainly easier to run.
    Is it worth 550 plus VAT is hard to say based on what we know.

Is it worth 550 to you depends on what you expect - 5e is perfectly fine IMO for your normal home, given cable lengths etc. it supports 1GB, and it is very unlikely that any of you devices will support higher speeds anyways. I'd probably spend the 500 quid on proper wifi mesh units on top of the wired connections. And make sure you get at least 2 cable upstairs and into the attic (specifically to supply access points)

Is the attic a good place for an access point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is the attic a good place for an access point?

No but you can pull the cable through into the ceiling of the landing mounting a AP to it, which would usually give good coverage in the upstairs of your typical 3-4 bed(circa 100sm) house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Usually the router is in the front room ,or hallway downstairs .
    so it would be easy to run 2 ethernet cables for to pc or laptop or a games console downstairs
    most routers have only 4 ethernet ports, so you,ll only be able to run
    4 ethernet cables.
    the wifi from the router is good enough for the rooms downstairs,
    for games like fortnite or call of duty on a pc , console using ethernet is usually faster and more reliable.
    if you want fast internet in every room then run ethernet cables
    upstairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Regarding the OPs question, I have seen situations where Cat6 was promised but Cat5e was installed and this would be a very ordinary development, not luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My house has some wiring but it's not terminated.

The wiring is only in the living room, kitchen, hallway and master bedroom. The two bedrooms at the back of the house where WiFi doesn't reach don't have ethernet. Considering so many people have a home office these days it's silly to not do every room especially if they're not finishing the connection.

The first phase of the estate has TV and data points in the spare rooms whereas our second phase house doesn't.

I lived an apartment down the road from the house 10 years ago that had ethernet and speakers in all rooms, it was built in the late 2000s.

People saying it's not worth it or pointless to wire a house haven't got a clue what they're talking about. If you have kids they have laptops, computers, smart TVs and games consoles. If you don't you likely have a TV, computer, sky box or some sort of home office. There's loads of reasons to have wired internet around the house even if you just have a few devices, as long as it's done right of course.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They'll very rarely finish the connection with faceplates cause if they do that then they're on the hook for testing it etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭joficeduns1

Anecdotal but our development has CAT5e runs in the house, all bundled back to a utility room under the stairs. I had virgin install the router there and terminated the cables myself to plug in. There's one faceplate port in the kitchen, sitting room, and master bedroom.

I had someone come out to extend the run from the master bed (who realistically needs it in there) and establish a new port in a spare bed/office room for myself (laptop, console, Plex server). I use the sitting room for another console and Nvidia shield.

There is absolutely value in having the ports, but the problem is developers (well, ours anyway) just put them anywhere that is handy, which is rarely where you need them. I have a 6 metre cable running from the sitting room port to a switch under the TV.

Advertisement