Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭jmreire

A

Leo and the lads are in a lose lose situation now regardless, if how this is being reported is correct, and the matter is being put back on the top echelons of the FG Party, then they will have to either sink a TD who, (according to them) an unreleased internally conducted investigation completely exonerated her from any wrongdoings, would look like extremely bad form, and hypocritical to get shot of her after that.

Do they look like hypocritical ****, who (in bad form) got rid of an exonerated woman,

Or do they leave a woman on the ticket who the nation view as an absolute charlatan who tried to fleece a local business because of her own stupidity, following the advise of her party colleague still sitting pretty in a ministerial position?

Well done leo, you played an absolute blinder, you absolute Muppet.:D

Had he of removed bailey almost six months ago when he should have, the worst of this would have blown over by now.

D - from me Leo, must try harder.

Had Leo acted decisively in the beginning, and distanced himself and FG from Marie's claim scam, it would have increased FG's standing with people...at last, some one, A Leader, who was straight and honest, and who would not tolerate even a hint of corruption in the party rank's.... FG's stock would have risen, and it would have shown in the poll's too. But same old same old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Maria Bailey has some neck to even consider running — clearly the injury claim was a non-runner, contributory negligence and all that - instead of apologising for bringing herself, her family and the party into disrepute with her greed, she tries to play the sympathy card over her father’s death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'd hardly expect him to do something tonight, he's very slow and deliberate on this stuff. I think he'll still try to nudge her towards standing down if he can.

Excellent point. Invertebrates aren't exactly renowned for their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭nc6000

Maria Bailey has some neck to even consider running — clearly the injury claim was a non-runner, contributory negligence and all that - instead of apologising for bringing herself, her family and the party into disrepute with her greed, she tries to play the sympathy card over her father’s death.

Ah come on. I wouldn't dream of defending her but her father did die shortly after the story broke and before Leo decided what to do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

is_that_so wrote: »
    You'd hardly expect him to do something tonight, he's very slow and deliberate on this stuff. I think he'll still try to nudge her towards standing down if he can.

Back in May/June I posted the only way FG were getting away with Maria leaving the lower house quietly was by ushering her off to a senatorship or a Semi-State.
    Tonight's lack of action only hardens that belief for me.
    She has Madigan by the short and cutlets and by extension the entire FG leadership.
    The lack of action and the attempt to exonerate her on the foot of the private report that will only ever see light if FG throw Madigan under a bus all point to incompetent and inept leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

nc6000 wrote:
    Ah come on. I wouldn't dream of defending her but her father did die shortly after the story broke and before Leo decided what to do about it.

Did anyone check rip.ie for confirmation. I wouldn't put anything past her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

banie01 wrote:
    Back in May/June I posted the only way FG were getting away with Maria leaving the lower house quietly was by ushering her off to a senatorship or a Semi-State. Tonight's lack of action only hardens that belief for me. She has Madigan by the short and cutlets and by extension the entire FG leadership. The lack of action and the attempt to exonerate her on the foot of the private report that will only ever see light if FG throw Madigan under a bus all point to incompetent and inept leadership.

The only hope is that after she is kicked out she drags others with her.

Why don't you check RIP.ie and report back?

https://rip.ie/death-notice/john-sean-bailey-dalkey-dublin/393044

Personally I despise Maria Bailey's party, worldview, ethics, political heritage and all she stands for... as far as I can see she should be disqualified from political office and perhaps face criminal action.

But if you can't feel empathy with someone who's lost a parent nor look up a three-letter URL then you're even more corrupt and incapable of public office than she is.

What an extraordinary achievement that is. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That is a truly disgusting comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A line from the musical Sound of Music, " How do you solve a problem like Maria?" Answers on a postcard to Leo Varadkar TD Dept of the Taoiseach .lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Baseball72

She's one of my local TD's
    I've been voting in DLR constituency since 73. Also canvas for some FG councillors . I will be voting to de-select her.
    Showed incredibly bad judgement in taking that case to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Baseball72 wrote: »
    She's one of my local TD's
    I've been voting in DLR constituency since 73. Also canvas for some FG councillors . I will be voting to de-select her.
    Showed incredibly bad judgement in taking that case to begin with.

True, but she got legal advice, and so I go back to my doctor analogy.

220px-Josepha_Madigan.jpg

Meanwhile her supporters say

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1190025239402622977?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

banie01 wrote: »
    Back in May/June I posted the only way FG were getting away with Maria leaving the lower house quietly was by ushering her off to a senatorship or a Semi-State.
    She has Madigan by the short and cutlets and by extension the entire FG leadership.
    The lack of action and the attempt to exonerate her on the foot of the private report that will only ever see light if FG throw Madigan under a bus all point to incompetent and inept leadership.

As I have said before on the swing gate thread she will run and be elected again as the people will vote for one of their own and the blue shirts known this from Tipp with Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

I wouldn't be her biggest fan but that is a sick comment to make:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As I have said before on the swing gate thread she will run and be elected again as the people will vote for one of their own and the blue shirts known this from Tipp with Lowry.

Just to be safe I'd advise you not to place a bet on the outcome you predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

banie01 wrote: »

She will pull out and the compensation is a term in the Seanad , Its the FG way..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/im-no-victim-or-villain-bailey-fights-for-her-fg-future-38650953.html

Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe will now have to make the ultimate decision on her future.

He is Fine Gael's director of organisation and will be its director of elections for the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

TimHorton wrote: »
    She will pull out and the compensation is a term in the Seanad , Its the FG way..

The same Seanad that FG proposed to abolish?

Unfortunately they were let down by voters that decided to"stick it to the man".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

nc6000 wrote: »

And????

Did her father make her take out the personal injury claim?
    Did he make her go on RTÉ radio saying ‘but I was injured’ as if someone else was to blame.

Do you think she is the only one with family sickness and deaths?

It should have been her deciding what to do, not Leo or any other FG group - she should have stood up, said I made a mistake and stepped back out of the lime light, regathered herself and her public persona and maybe came back as a local counsellor - she WAS a good politician and well thought of - she could have come back from it if she had owned what happened and admitted she was human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

And????

Did her father make her take out the personal injury claim?
    Did he make her go on RTÉ radio saying ‘but I was injured’ as if someone else was to blame.

Do you think she is the only one with family sickness and deaths?

It should have been her deciding what to do, not Leo or any other FG group - she should have stood up, said I made a mistake and stepped back out of the lime light, regathered herself and her public persona and maybe came back as a local counsellor - she WAS a good politician and well thought of - she could have come back from it if she had owned what happened and admitted she was human.

Precisely, the timing of her fathers death should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever, on whether or not she is removed from the ticket.

Her appalling lack of judgement, stupidity and greed is what matters here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Bailey is making the headlines on both print and radio in November. This story will run and run.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bailey is making the headlines on both print and radio in November. This story will run and run.

So much for the bots who tried to claim it was a nothing story and would be forgotten about long ago :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There were 120 seats in the room but 160 showed up. I wonder if some of the die hards here showed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

TimHorton wrote: »

FG gave us the chance to get rid of the Seanad and said at the time that they wouldn't reform it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

givyjoe wrote: »
    Precisely, the timing of her fathers death should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever, on whether or not she is removed from the ticket.

Her appalling lack of judgement, stupidity and greed is what matters here.

Yep. The two points are completely unrelated. I don't know why death is used as a means to exonerate people so much in this country, but her personal loss has nothing to do with her decisions and response on the matter in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FG gave us the chance to get rid of the Seanad and said at the time that they wouldn't reform it.

People didn't want it abolished, just reformed. They knew full well that letting FG (or any government really) run without even that minimal level of review was a bad thing.

FG arrogance at work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What they didn't do was give any evidence what they were going to do after abolition. It just became a grubby campaign about money, allowing useless Senators to claim to have loftier ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    People didn't want it abolished, just reformed. They knew full well that letting FG (or any government really) run without even that minimal level of review was a bad thing.

FG arrogance at work again.
    That's what committees are for. They promised to give them more powers but never bothered to lay out what those plans looked like. I also seriously doubt that you can prove that claim about reform. Support for abolition was at 60% at one stage. It's not the concept of unicameralism that was wrong, many countries have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They will run the candidate who they think is most like to win the seat. Leo and co may say nice things about her in public but they’ll give her the boot without a second thought if think it’s necessary.

Advertisement