Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

:D
    Hope she is strapped into her seat for the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

They should have taken the whip away from her immediately, put Madigan off the front bench, forced Madigan to make a 'maxima culpa' and used the opportunity to bring in false claim criminalisation.

The FG selling point is supposed to be (all evidence to the contrary) that they are more honest than FF.

Exactly !!! Had they done that, they would have been riding high in the poll's since, and if an election was called ( never mind the Brexit distraction ) I think that they would have won a majority. But "Internal Dynamic's" prevented that.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Try to answer the question you are asked or else be silent!

It's not for you to be telling anyone else what to do or post

Leave the modding to the mods

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not for you to be telling anyone else what to do or post

Leave the modding to the mods

Any questions, PM me
    I've added the poster to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/11/01/88-in-favour-66-against/
    This morning.

RTɒs Political Correspondent Paul Cunningham told Morning Ireland that last night’s motion calling for an urgent review of general election candidates by Fine Gael’s executive council passed 88 in favour and 66 against.

He said 120 chairs were laid out for last night’s meeting but 160 people turned up, while around 20 people spoke, including Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey.

He described the atmosphere as “pointed but polite” and that most of the speakers spoke against the motion.

He said Ms Bailey told those present that the opinions of Fine Gael’s members mattered to her; she was “always a diligent TD”; she was “fighting for her political life”; and she “regretted how the party became engulfed in media exposure” but she wants to be their candidate.

88 knives in the back. The Blackrock sect of FG DLR will be sipping champagne this morning while the Dun Laoighire sect are licking their wounds and plotting a fightback.

• Advertisement

And from the Indo
    Sources told the Irish Independent, Ms Bailey used a short speech to argue that not all the facts about her compensation case over a fall from a swing are in the public domain.

Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And from the Indo

Game on.

IMG-20191101-093539.jpg

It was a referendum on abolition not a referendum on reform.

And you asked, and it was explained to you why the referendum on its abolition was lost.

Asking the same question but expecting a different answer isn't forthcoming I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And you asked, and it was explained to you why the referendum on its abolition was lost.

Asking the same question but expecting a different answer isn't forthcoming I'm afraid.

The referendum was lost because people didn't want to abolish the Seanad. That's fair enough. However, you can't go on and say that people voted to reform the Seanad, that is an unknown step.

You are putting yourself out like an ERG Brexiteer who concludes that because the UK voted to leave, they voted to leave for a no-deal Brexit. The Seanad vote was abolish or keep, people voted to keep, that is all we know.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The referendum was lost because people didn't want to abolish the Seanad. That's fair enough. However, you can't go on and say that people voted to reform the Seanad, that is an unknown step.

You are putting yourself out like an ERG Brexiteer who concludes that because the UK voted to leave, they voted to leave for a no-deal Brexit. The Seanad vote was abolish or keep, people voted to keep, that is all we know.

Blanch straight in with something he's an opinion on, which isn't Maria Bailey and the thread title.

Some things never change. :D

(Btw, I clearly stated they lost the referendum because it's blindingly obvious the people didn't want the Seanad to abolished hence the result)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

ddarcy wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see. I’d say she didn’t have the whip removed and expelled from the party because that report was fairly damning to the party as a whole. Add in the Perry legal precedence, I’d say she will still likely be on it. Keeping her happy is probably keeping it from being released to the public.

Not blaming Leo here but he is between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He will have to choose which option does the least damage.

Leo is to blame as he has not dealt with the issue at all.

And lets never ever forget the absolute disdain he showed us all by finally giving his findings of the report on the day Boris Johnson became UK Prime Minister.
    If that doesn't show what kind of man he is then i don't know what does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What's the Green view on this? Swings are environmentally friendly so no harm there. Have you an opinion on Bailey yourself?
    The Green party should have sacked her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

And from the Indo
    Sources told the Irish Independent, Ms Bailey used a short speech to argue that not all the facts about her compensation case over a fall from a swing are in the public domain.

Game on.

Wow! That's a shot across the bows. It's such a durty story - we all know they are hiding the truth. M Martin must have a good snigger at this every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Why don't you check RIP.ie and report back?

No need as you did that already. Does this mean you had the same doubts I had?

No need as you did that already. Does this mean you had the same doubts I had?

Ah leave it lads. There is no doubt that Bailey's father died.
    Your language is not adding to the discussion. Nobody is a 'piece of filth'.
    At the end of the day it's just politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah leave it lads. There is no doubt that Bailey's father died.
    Your language is not adding to the discussion. Nobody is a 'piece of filth'.
    At the end of the day it's just politics.

While I don't agree with using death, it's just politics, true. Politics is life and death and people working hard to make ends meet their entire life while people like Bailey faff around not doing a legitimate tap and reaping the rewards. So there's no 'just' about it. The political cute hoor is growing fat in comfort while the minimum wage worker gets accused of being too lazy to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Ah leave it lads. There is no doubt that Bailey's father died. Your language is not adding to the discussion. Nobody is a 'piece of filth'. At the end of the day it's just politics.

In reply to this and to TheDativeCase.

I'm sorry if I offended you or any other poster with my previous post but I'll just post once more and then I'll leave it there cos I'm just so angry about this.

The way I see this is she used the death of a loved one to garner sympathy when she knew she had been exposed for the liar and the cheat that she was. To me, I think that is utterly disgusting.

Please don't feel any sympathy towards her because you can all be sure of one thing and that is she doesn't give two f***s about you.

Wow! That's a shot across the bows. It's such a durty story - we all know they are hiding the truth. M Martin must have a good snigger at this every day.

Theres definitely a strong insinuation about it that Maria thinks if all the facts about her compensation case were in the public domain then she would be exonerated. She wouldnt be of course but thats the type of deluded thinking she is now known for. Madigan must be planking it now about what direction this turns into next. Leo will want to make her go quietly so a plum Seanad seat so she can keep her snout at the trough will likely be on the agenda.

In reply to this and to TheDativeCase.

I'm sorry if I offended you or any other poster with my previous post but I'll just post once more and then I'll leave it there cos I'm just so angry about this.

The way I see this is she used the death of a loved one to garner sympathy when she knew she had been exposed for the liar and the cheat that she was. To me, I think that is utterly disgusting.

Please don't feel any sympathy towards her because you can all be sure of one thing and that is she doesn't give two f***s about you.

That's fair enough. Yes this story makes a lot of people very angry. It sums up the arrogance of Fine Gael and Irish politicians. I am ashamed I voted for FG for so long.

A good way to vent is to email your local TDs with your thoughts on Bailey, Farrell, Madigan and insurance fraud. And ask your friends and family to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Theres definitely a strong insinuation about it that Maria thinks if all the facts about her compensation case were in the public domain then she would be exonerated. She wouldnt be of course but thats the type of deluded thinking she is now known for. Madigan must be planking it now about what direction this turns into next. Leo will want to make her go quietly so a plum Seanad seat so she can keep her snout at the trough will likely be on the agenda.

While such a move might make Bailey go quietly and stop her dropping any bombshells, it sure as hell wouldn't make this PR nightmare go away and more likely just blow the issue up to even greater coverage and outrage. TD's acting the maggot is the expected norm in this country overall and for most voters, its something that blows over in a few weeks when attention turns to some other screw up, as for the most part these issues just don't effect the daily lives of enough people for them to stand up and say enough is enough. The difference with swing-gate, is that rising insurance prices really do hit most people in the pocket one way or anther as is how many businesses are being effected by BS claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Lest we forget, while talking about the (undoubtedly sad) death of her father, that the Bailey family and FG happily ran him on the ticket for the last council elections despite the dogs on the street knowing he had a terminal disease and was on death's door. Why so? Because if a councilor passes while in service his seat is then co-opted. They know no shame and the (sane) people of Dun Laoghaire won't forget this come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Not sure why you blamed FG for yer man being elected as a councilor - they didn't force him to put his name on the ballot and if the dogs on the street knew he had a terminal illness, why the hell did they vote for him????

In fact it says more about the man (and the family) that they don't put their constituents first - he should have not restood and told people why and thanked them for their votes and walked away, head held high.

Clearly the apple didn't fall far from the tree - lying about not being able to run - and then running a fast 10km 2 weeks after the incident.

Its a wonder they can sleep straight in bed

pm1977x wrote: »
    Lest we forget, while talking about the (undoubtedly sad) death of her father, that the Bailey family and FG happily ran him on the ticket for the last council elections despite the dogs on the street knowing he had a terminal disease and was on death's door. Why so? Because if a councilor passes while in service his seat is then co-opted. They know no shame and the (sane) people of Dun Laoghaire won't forget this come election time.

There really should be some law that says poltiicans diagnosed a terminal illness must vacate their seat. There is nothing to be gained for anyone by them going through a terminal illness unable to do the job they are being paid for. Plus it can have serious consequences- despite the media love affair with Brian Lenehen at the end of the day Ireland sent a man with a terminal illness to a high level negotiation with the Troika and we all know how badly that ended up. Someone with a terminal illness is not negotiating from a position of power, moreso a position of fatalism. Lenehan had lost the game before he was even standing on the pitch.

There really should be some law that says poltiicans diagnosed a terminal illness must vacate their seat. There is nothing to be gained for anyone by them going through a terminal illness unable to do the job they are being paid for. Plus it can have serious consequences- despite the media love affair with Brian Lenehen at the end of the day Ireland sent a man with a terminal illness to a high level negotiation with the Troika and we all know how badly that ended up. Someone with a terminal illness is not negotiating from a position of power, moreso a position of fatalism. Lenehan had lost the game before he was even standing on the pitch.

What a disgraceful post.

Are you telling me that Vicky Phelan wouldn’t make a great public representative?

Or is it only terminally ill politicians that you disagree with should stand down?

The other side of that coin is that if someone gets a terminal illness and is all of a sudden in a bad position - you're taking away their income and making life incredibly tough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Perhaps it’s the fg inactions is the reason mick Martin hasn’t pulled the plug on this embarrassment of a government

The other side of that coin is that if someone gets a terminal illness and is all of a sudden in a bad position - you're taking away their income and making life incredibly tough for them.

You have to remember that for a lot of the social media warriors politicians aren’t human, they are something else.

We have seen the worst of it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You have to remember that for a lot of the social media warriors politicians aren’t human, they are something else.

We have seen the worst of it on this thread.

In fairness blanch the worst of them has been highlighted too.

In fairness blanch the worst of them has been highlighted too.

Footballers get it too, it is wrong. Some of the stuff posted about Maria Bailey is just beyond acceptable.

That latest post denigrating terminally ill people was just another low. Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The misrepresentation and faux outrage is amusing as always.

Advertisement