Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Did a long weekend cruise and had a very good time. AFAIK it was Emerald.
    Tip hire a boat 1-2 larger than actual group size, eg, hire a six berth for 4 people.

Can be great fun with midgets at evening times, and jostling at lock gates during day. Great experience, not sure if I would do a 2 week family trip without previous experience. Could become very tense/claustrophobic if some people weren't happy after few days.

Expensive holiday but the sense of freedom and Shannon makes it worthwhile. Meet all kinds and some great local folk along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

My sister, her hubby and 2 friends went with emerald star last year, had a blast going from town to town visiting little pubs on the way. They only did it for a week though, I'd say two weeks might have been a bit long you'd be kind of getting sick of the sight of each other but its definitly one of the trips I intend on taking when my kids get a little older, remember as a child I used to look enviously at all the wealthy Germans sailing by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Howdy people,
    I'm planning to book a shannon cruise for the family for next summer and was wondering if anyone would recommend a certain company. The main 2 i've been looking at are emerald star and locaboat.com. I'd appreciate any experiences people had on a shannon cruise.

Cheers.

I did it two years ago in my cousins boat and it was by far and away the best holiday ever. stopping in small village get a feed of beer and move on. it was just great we went from lough dergh up to letrim village and back, I would recommend shannonbridge, rooskey and carrick on Shannon were all lovely places. I would love to do it again. It is very expensive to rent I think, the upper erne takes a long time to get through, we gave up half way but it is beautiful.

You will have a great time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 soularnights

sounds like its definately worth a week,

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

I've done Shannon cruising 4/5 times, always with a gang of frieinds. We normally do it for about 4 days at a time. We have gone from Killaloe up to Shannon Bridge taking in Lough Derg which has some lovely little villages like Terryglass and Garykennedy. If the weather is good it can be an absolutely fabolous holiday, but the length of time was just fine for us. It's mighty craic but it can get a bit claustrophobic if it's raining. We have always gone with Shannon Castle Line in Whitegate in Clare, I could not recommend them highly enough. Very professional, family run company. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Done it loads of times, used to have a boat on it. I'd reccomend going for a weekend first before you embark on the full two-weeks. Have you kids? What age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I have booked a 4 night trip, starting from Carrick-On-S. Was thinking of going north up thru Lough Key, Lough Erne and maybe Enniskillin. Any reccomended sights to see? Things to do along the way?
    Am I being ambitious in aiming for Enniskillin? How far can I expect to travel in a day ? Is 10 hours driving a day a lot ?

any & all tips / info / insight is welcome!

<bump>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've done the Shannon Cruises 8 or 9 times over the past 20 years.
    Lough Key is beautiful - very scenic, but give yourself a full day to see it - well worth it.

4 days is very tight to see Lough Key and travel up to Enniskillen.
    Travelling from Carrick to Lough Erne, you will need to travel through 16 unmanned locks on the way, and return the same way (you need to purchase a pre-paid card to operate these locks). They are great fun but take time to get through, especially if the previous boat to go through it before you, is travelling in the same direction (as you have to close the far lock gate, equalise the water level, enter the lock, re-equalise the water to the level on the far side, and open the far gate).

The other important recommendation which I can't stress enough, is to top up the boat with diesel at a private station, before returning it to the rental company. The rental companies charge awful prices for diesel after you return the boat - ask around at any stop. I hired a boat 2 yrs ago for 7 days and filled it up privately for 150Euro (after 5 days cruising) the night before I returned it. After returning the boat, the rental company still managed to put 68Euro worth of diesel into it - I estimated that I saved at least 300 - 400 Euro by having it filled privately. This fuel charge can be a very nasty surprise for first timers. You will burn a lot of fuel if you run the engine on full throttle, which is something we all do the first few times.

You will also save by cooking meals on-board, and it's very pleasent having a meal out on the deck with a nice bottle of wine or a cool beer.

A lot of the hire-boats do not have an AC socket, so make sure you bring a car charger for your mobile phone(s).

Other than that, have a great cruise, and I hope you get the weather :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's a full list of cruiser hire companies here. That site also has all the information you'll ever need about the Shannon.

• Advertisement

thx guys, much appreciated. Nice tip on the diesel Dillalio, and good maps Dyflin.

will let y'all know how we get on :-)

hope Lidl are selling fishing rods before then ! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

We were going to do it this year but decided against it ( Mrs Wac preggers) but a friend told me, to wait for a week before you go to book the boat ( if possible )!!

he's been doing this for the past few years and getting great deals, sure who is going to wait to book a week before you go...!! ;) he said he always ends up getting a boat, cos fewer and fewer people can afford to pay full price!

Enjoy your trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Definitly a great idea for a holiday, check out Terryglass, Garrykennedy and Mountshannon.

Mind not to be wearing the incorrect GAA jersey when the hurling is on during the summer ;)

You'll have a great time, stock up on the beer and as said get a larger berth boat then the number of people you have.

One week is ideal, realy two weeks might be too long
    Emerald Star in is the company I know but there are others, they are based in Portumna

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gaz wac wrote: »
    We were going to do it this year but decided against it ( Mrs Wac preggers) but a friend told me, to wait for a week before you go to book the boat ( if possible )!!

he's been doing this for the past few years and getting great deals, sure who is going to wait to book a week before you go...!! ;) he said he always ends up getting a boat, cos fewer and fewer people can afford to pay full price!

Enjoy your trip

Just be careful of this. Emerald Star sold off a lot of their excess hire fleet a couple of years ago and their bargain days seem to be over. You used to be offered great discounts, but it's nothing spectacular now TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Hi..

I've cruised the Shannon on renters for about ten years or so...personally, I prefer the lower Shannon as opposed to Carrick on Shannon. I'd say I've hired from most of the cruise companies. There were two in Killaloe but they've since gone bust and personally, I found Emerald just OK. For the past three years I've used Silverline Cruisers in Banagher, just north of Portumna. I've found them excellent and the service second to none.

They're family owned also which I always find to be better...they're more flexible with return times etc. I agree that it's a good ploy to wait until the week before. You can check out the weather and also get a last minute deal. You'll either get a bigger boat for your money or an extra day or two and at a minimum a discount. Lot of Germans aren't coming here as much as they used to but this might be offset this year by the staycation folks...either way, most private companies will want to get something for the boat rather than have it sit on the marina.

I did a work cruise with two boats and ten people three years ago. We put together a great itinerary for the lower shannon that I can send you if you want to PM me. It takes in the locks, Portumna bridge lift and calculates the cruise time from Killaloe through Garykennedy etc so it might be useful. It does the East side of the lake only so you could extend to make a week out of it if you include Scarriff and Mountshannon. (Beware Mountshannon btw as hire boats have been broken into there so personally, I wouldn't stay over night there...just my preference...). If you do Banager, make sure to take a night in there..there's some great pubs in the town and one in particular which has sing song every night..packed to the gills and you'll really enjoy it. Brendan Graces in Killaloe is good as is Terryglass and the grub in Garykennedy is superb...in fact, they're all good...

Hope this helps..

Have a great trip.

BTW, beware of Terryglass harbour. If you are mooring there, only do so on the inside, regardless of how packed or busy it is. I made a mistake, only once, when I arrived there late afternoon when it was dead calm only to wake up to a stiff wind and the boat being bounced against the harbour wall as I took a berth on the outside. I thought the punt was going to go through the side of the boat...

Go inside...You're entitled to a berth, it's a public marina and the private boats cant deny you a berth alongside (most go stern in to avoid having boats beside them)...

If it's the week of the Terryglass festival, you'll need to get there early otherwise there'll be 10+ deep and it may well be tricky to get a berth that is safe for all concerned....

BBTW, I'd check out the boats with bowthrusters...makes life a lot easier..particularly say in Killaloe or with a breeze against the cockpit which can swing the boat around...

Just a tip....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We're off next weekend - can't wait. It's a holiday we always look forward to every year!!

We're going to do the lower Shannon again this year - I prefer it to the rest. Even though Carrick is a good aul spot.

Has anyone heard of any issues in Banagher? I've heard from a few people that there are problems with break-ins and general harassment from knacker-drinkers.

Budfox, we haven't been in Lough Derg other than Terryglass for a few years. Where is the best place to visit? We're prob going to pick the boat up from Portumna on Thurs, head south and spend Friday in and around Lough Derg. Head to to Banagaher on Friday evening. And then upwards to Shannonbridge and head down the Suck to Ballinasloe. Back down to Portumna on Sunday. Any tips, recommendations!? I'd love to give Silverline a go, but they don't allow dogs :(

olaola wrote: »
    We're off next weekend - can't wait. It's a holiday we always look forward to every year!!

We're going to do the lower Shannon again this year - I prefer it to the rest. Even though Carrick is a good aul spot.

Has anyone heard of any issues in Banagher? I've heard from a few people that there are problems with break-ins and general harassment from knacker-drinkers.

Budfox, we haven't been in Lough Derg other than Terryglass for a few years. Where is the best place to visit? We're prob going to pick the boat up from Portumna on Thurs, head south and spend Friday in and around Lough Derg. Head to to Banagaher on Friday evening. And then upwards to Shannonbridge and head down the Suck to Ballinasloe. Back down to Portumna on Sunday. Any tips, recommendations!? I'd love to give Silverline a go, but they don't allow dogs :(

HI...I haven't done that particular cruise. I've hired from Emerald in Portumna and travelled south stopping at every second harbour on the way down and then getting the other ones on the way back up. So, maybe Dromineer on your first night, Killaloe on your second, over to Scariff third night and then maybe last night in Terryglass. As I said, I have a mapped out itinerary for 4-5 nights if you want it. North of Portumna might be good also but I just dont know it that well. Also, some people prefer rivers than lakes...more interesting particularly in a slow moving cruiser. Personally, I prefer the range of stopovers south to Killaloe. Dromineer is lovely for a BBQ if you moor in beside the castle...

PM me if you want anything else...

After reading your post I made some enquiries myself and am thinking of hiring for a long weekend...just not too sure about bringing a very active 2 year old on a cruiser...he might be just a bit too young....

budfox wrote: »
    HI...I haven't done that particular cruise. I've hired from Emerald in Portumna and travelled south stopping at every second harbour on the way down and then getting the other ones on the way back up. So, maybe Dromineer on your first night, Killaloe on your second, over to Scariff third night and then maybe last night in Terryglass. As I said, I have a mapped out itinerary for 4-5 nights if you want it. North of Portumna might be good also but I just dont know it that well. Also, some people prefer rivers than lakes...more interesting particularly in a slow moving cruiser. Personally, I prefer the range of stopovers south to Killaloe. Dromineer is lovely for a BBQ if you moor in beside the castle...

PM me if you want anything else...

After reading your post I made some enquiries myself and am thinking of hiring for a long weekend...just not too sure about bringing a very active 2 year old on a cruiser...he might be just a bit too young....

Thanks for the info! Dromineer castle you say... that sounds lovely. We've moored beside Portumna castle for a BBQ, and that was a lovely marina. But we were hoping to get further south than that on the Thursday evening. So we might head to Dromineer.

Highly recommend Garrykennedy, a cracking little village with two lovely pubs. Have a look at the new marina first for a space before going into the old harbour. If going up to Scarrif, take care, low water is a problem this year so stick to the centre of the river.

Banagher has suffered a few anti social problems in the old harbour, the marina jetties are much safer from what I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

We went on a Shannon cruise last year and after much (an I mean a lot) of online research went with this family-run company:

http://shannonprivatecruisers.com/

Amazing value compared with the bigger companies - couldn't believe how reasonably priced the boats were. All were in good shape, and the one we got had ac power, they fill the boat at the mooring, and when we returned the boat (that is the downside, it must be a return trip) they filled it with Diesel at the same rate as a private pump.

As we hadn't rented before, they offered to take us out for an hour to show us how to handle the boat and also offered to go through a lock to show us how that worked too - they couldn't have been nicer. Also, they offered the boat for a couple of extra days without charge as it wasn't being rented when we were dropping it back!!! We couldn't take them up on the offer though.

Also, they do a great (IMHO) offer for an Appartment at Dromad:

http://shannonprivatecruisers.com/apartment.htm

includes a 17ft lake boat with outboard motor for 400-500 euro.

Enjoy the cruise - we will definately be doing it again. The Boda Borg in Lough Key visitor centre is good fun too - seems a tad pricey but well worth it especially for kids aged 9-15, but great laugh for adults too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

just remember too that going down stream take a lot less time than going up

And to note, the Emerald Star bookings are now being handled by TUI over in the UK - they're not as accommodating when looking for a bargain etc. I used to find the Irish office great (have booked with them about 9 times over the years) and these guys are just pushing the requests around. Not really the personal service it used to be. Which is unfortunate, as there was always an opportunity for some friendly bargaining. And we ALWAYS got a good discount.

I'm never booking with them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

I have cruised the shannon around 4 times and always use Silverline, there service is excellent and the quality of there boats is top class.

I have never used emerald star and I dont think I ever would, the quality of there boats seem to be poor, that is the impression I get.

Anyone who is going to lough key I would recommend bringing a fishing boat, usually they are free from hire companies. With the small boat you can go to castle island and also go into the canal that leads to fairy bridge if you can find it, for anyone into scenery it is great!

You should leave a day for lough key, as there is loads to do, after your adventure it is only a short hop to boyle harbour

If you are new to lough key and heading west in the evening be cautious with the navigation markers as sometimes depending on time and weather you cannot tell there colour

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Modified-IRL

Im on the shannon all my life but in latter years i havent been on it as much, but i do plan to go again soon..

We usually go Easter weekend and October bank holiday, rates are most reasonabl then, weather isnt always good but its the craic i go for more then anything..

We use Silver line, i think Emerald star are over priced anyway, Carrick craft are meant to be half decent..

Our trip at easter would bring us as far as Killaloe as we have enough light hours, but in october we'd go as far as Garrykennedy or Mountshannon although its abit rough there same with Scariff..

well, the cruize is a long way in the past now. But I wanted to come back here and say thanks for all the advice & tips!

We had a great time, and I would def do it again. 4 days (5 nights) is not long enough really. You loose a whole day out of that, as you cant take the boat out before 3pm and you have to have it back for 9am on the last day. And if you go up-river from Carrick-On-Shannon then all the locks are electronic and shut down at 8pm and start again at 9am, which makes it hard to be back for 9am the next day! You really have to get there the evening before.

That said, we did have a great time. Both my sons did some time at the wheel while I took a break (the youngest one took great delight in driving the boat and then running around the outside while it motored on by itself and he was still the 'captain' lol) We even managed to catch a couple of fish.

One more small thing.... when traveling upstream from Carrick, there is not much in the way of shore-side facilities (only passed 2 towns in 4 days and neither had a beer garden on the river). Next time we will go south, or rent from further south .

Fuel was not too expensive. Diesel was about same price as it is on road-side garages. We used less than e100 for 5 days. Driving at 1000-1200 revs is quiet fuel efficient!

Anyway.... good luck to any/all that try it, and see you on the water sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Looking to bring my girls on to Lough Derg this Friday looking for some tips on travel times stop overs etc, picking it up in mount shannon, using shannoncruisers.com. the girls are 10 6+6

Hiya...

The crusing times are here...

http://www.iwai.ie/boating/distance.html

If you PM me your email addy I can send you an itinerary that i've done a few times taking in Killaloe etc over 4 four days. It's great fun and you will have a super time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Thanks Budfox it's on the way, kids are veery excited..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi Budfox,
    I'm going for 3 nights next week from Banagher so I've PMed my email address for that famous itinerary too!!!

Thanks.

Advertisement