Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Have PM'd you Budfox
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭user_name_d

Hey - Great thread here. Have a long weekend family break planned for August - 3 nights/4 days. Cant wait :D

So I have been trying to think about what we can/cant cover in that time. Its our first time so we're completely novice to this. So appreciate all the help.

We're renting day 1 from Portumna and must return the boat back there. In 4 days does planning on making our way to Athlone and back seem a bit ambitious? Would like to go from lough Derg up to lough Ree. And more importantly - is this the best use of our short time on the water? Have read that travelling south is probably easier but we would like to go through a few locks for the experience!

The group is me and my partner, her folks and her brother with a child(10 yrs). So there is a good mix but we're up for touring/fishing/few stops and a bit of beer along the way :)

Any tips/itineraries/experience on a long weekend would be great to hear.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

I miss-read it the first time

Lough Ree is no problem to get to the only thing about travelling north is you have to do exactly that to reach good spots, if your up for a fair bit of cruising I have 2 good options that you might like to think about, if you had longer you could cross Lough Ree and do the whole of Derg.

Option 1: Good bit of travelling

Day 1: Head north to Banagher and stay the night
    Day 2: Visit Shannonbridge/Athlone and head into Ree to Glason for the night
    Day 3: Visit Clonmacnoise and head south to Terryglass for the night

Option 2: If you get the boat early

Day 1: Head south and stay the night in Scarrif.
    Day 2: Visit Mountshannon and head to Killaloe for the night
    Day 3: Visit Garrykennedy and head to Terryglass for the night

I would choose the second option from a lot of experience I would say its the best, next time you could go further north if you go for a week and make the Ree crossing
    Enjoy anyway and hope this helps

Another option that would give you the best of both worlds would be the following but there is a fair bit of travelling on the second day so if you dont mind that it might be perfect.

Day 1: Head north and stay the night in Banagher
    Day 2: Leave early and head back south to visit Mountshannon (if you have the time) and head to Scarriff for the night (lovely spot)
    Day 3: Visit Garrykennedy (should not be passed by) then afterwards head north to stay the night in Terryglass (perfect place for your last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭user_name_d

Hi Mr CJ,

Thanks for the reply. I'd read the first post and pretty much convinced myself option 1 you had recommended as the best. (Think this is what you are suggesting as option 2 now?)

It looks like its about 8-10 hours to make our way up to Athlone. Do you agree?
    This is probably about 2 days travelling i'm guessing as we'd like to be off for a bit of time each day.. it might be that bit much.

If we went with option 2 - Is there still a lough/bridge to go through? I'm thinking for the youngest (and the child in all of us :D ) that this would be one good thing to do. Either way this looks like the best option.

We're taking the late drop off option so we'll have a bit of time on the last day to drop the boat back.. Think we have till about 4.

Cheers for the advice!

• Advertisement

Hi Mr CJ,

Thanks for the reply. I'd read the first post and pretty much convinced myself option 1 you had recommended as the best. (Think this is what you are suggesting as option 2 now?)

It looks like its about 8-10 hours to make our way up to Athlone. Do you agree?
    This is probably about 2 days travelling i'm guessing as we'd like to be off for a bit of time each day.. it might be that bit much.

If we went with option 2 - Is there still a lough/bridge to go through? I'm thinking for the youngest (and the child in all of us :D ) that this would be one good thing to do. Either way this looks like the best option.

We're taking the late drop off option so we'll have a bit of time on the last day to drop the boat back.. Think we have till about 4.

Cheers for the advice!

My mistake on the first one I had it in my head you where getting the boat from Banagher. You can travel from Glason to Portumna in one day and having time to stop of in Athlone.

There is an option 3 that you might like above?

If you go to Banagher you will pass through the swing bridge and 1 lock beyond Banagher up to Glason there is an extra lock to pass.

If you decide to go north fully I would spend the night in Glason rather than Athlone especially with the kids its a real nice spot and the hotel is 100%

No afraid there is no locks or anything of the nature south of Portumna, option 3 you might like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I have never gone on a cruise and we are looking into going on one this year. A Mediterranean would be probably best (or anywhere with sun really). What are the best sites to look at and has anyone got an recommendations. Hoping to get a decent enough deal. How much should you expect to pay? Also do you usually have to buy your own flights to the port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/destinations/

Went with these guys on my last holiday. You can get a package deal with flights included. The prices include room, all food and transfers so all you need to bring is spending money.
    Great value, fantastic service and the ships are like floating cities. I went on the Voyager class. The restruants vary from standard buffet and snacks to 5 star formal dinner, there's a theatre, a cinema, an ice skating rink amongst loads of other activities on board so even if you opt to stay on board the ship, you'll be hard pressed to run out of things to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We have this one booked for July. Around €2k for 4 of us. 2+2. From Barcelona.
    http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Ships/MSC-Preziosa.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

McChubbin wrote: »

Went with these guys on my last holiday. You can get a package deal with flights included. The prices include room, all food and transfers so all you need to bring is spending money.
    Great value, fantastic service and the ships are like floating cities. I went on the Voyager class. The restruants vary from standard buffet and snacks to 5 star formal dinner, there's a theatre, a cinema, an ice skating rink amongst loads of other activities on board so even if you opt to stay on board the ship, you'll be hard pressed to run out of things to do. :)

Hi m8,
    I am interested in the Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean, but haven't been on a cruise before, so any additional info appreciated.
    If I book the "flights from Dublin included", the details are a bit hazy, how does this work.
    Do you get specific flights or a choice i.e could you stay at your own expense in the final city for an extra day.
    Are transfers from airport to ship included etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Have a look at the website www.cruisecritic.co.uk for a review of all cruise ships and general tips about getting the most from your holiday.

We did an Eastern Med cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Navigator of the Seas last June. We booked it all in with Trailfinders in Dawson Street so it included flights and transport to and from the airport. If you want to do it independently you could end up saving a good deal of money, but we liked the convenience - people who we talked to on the cruise who booked their own flights ended up having to stay a day extra in Rome so it all depends on what you're looking for.

We enjoyed it very much and we'd probably do it again. We found the food in the main dining room a bit disappointing but fine - other dining options were better we thought. Alcohol is very expensive on board with a mandatory 15% "tip" added to every drink. Otherwise as a holiday it works out at good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Unshelved wrote: »
    Alcohol is very expensive on board with a mandatory 15% "tip" added to every drink. Otherwise as a holiday it works out at good value.

On most cruises you are also not allowed to carry any drink of any type back on board also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I have never gone on a cruise and we are looking into going on one this year. A Mediterranean would be probably best (or anywhere with sun really). What are the best sites to look at and has anyone got an recommendations. Hoping to get a decent enough deal. How much should you expect to pay? Also do you usually have to buy your own flights to the port?

A chap that I know said he went on a cruise where EVERYTHING was included in the price, Alco beverages, Food. Never found that offer online thou!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ronan45 wrote: »
    A chap that I know said he went on a cruise where EVERYTHING was included in the price, Alco beverages, Food. Never found that offer online thou!:rolleyes:

That's at the very top end of the market, people like Silversea etc.

VERY expensive and usually all suites.

+1 to the earlier post which said that most cruise lines do not allow you to bring alcohol on board and that includes returning from shore trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

You could give www.cruise.co.uk a try, booked a couple through them, literally covers every cruise available at any time, the only problem is that there are so many options its hard to decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

We went on this ship for our honeymoon October 2010

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/Ships/MSC-Magnifica.aspx

It was our first experience cruising the ship was brand new so it was so beautiful and like another poster said floating 5 star hotels. The food is great and you will never be hungry and you have buffet style or a more formal sit down setting to choose from- prepare to put on about 7lbs we did nothing but eat. I also enjoyed the whole formal nights with champagne and dressing up adds a real sense of occasion. Our route did Venice, Izmir Istanbul and Dubrovnik which were great to see. We opted for a cabin with a balcony so it was lovely spacious light and airy.

You cannot bring any alcohol on board they even scan our bags when we were getting on ship. Alcohol is pricey but we were able to buy a deal on day we departed which worked out cheaper there were beer deals or wine deals. It all works on a card system no cash your door card is what you use to purchase drinks or even any shopping and you pay it all when leaving.

We booked through travel counsellors so all flights transfers were part of deal. In memory we paid 2500 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

We went on our first cruise last July on board the Norwegian Epic. As it was our first cruise we were a little nervous. We booked the cruise itself through a cruise consultant and the flights separate.

It was the best holiday i have been on on i am 23. We went as a group, and we had 2 rooms booked for our family.

A mini suite, just a larger balcony room non suite amenities. Big spacious and plenty of room to move around And a studio which i stayed in small cosy, and big enough for 2. These rooms are aimed towards the solo traveler with no single occupancy to be paid. Also for these rooms there is a lounge with snacks in a fridge , bar, and speciality coffees all free apart from the bar.

About 20 bars and 19 restaurants enough to keep one going, some have an extra charge but you could last the week with out paying the extra.

Shows are out of this world, Blue Man Group free. Cirque de solay dinner show well wort the small charge, legends are just some of what's on offer.

One thing about Norwegian cruise line, is its freestyle, you eat when ya want go to what ever show you like, unlike other cruises you go to a show the corresponds to your dinner time. This was a winner in our books.

Your not suppose to bring alcohol on board, but we followed others advice and bought it in barcelona port and stuck it in our hand luggage before boarding. Nothing said at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

McChubbin wrote: »

Have to agree with this post. My better half brought me on a RC "floating city" (and trust me that what these are!) for the first time a few years ago. It was amazing. Going to sleep in one place, waking up in a new place to explore. When you are sailing it had everything you could think of for the sporty type. Rollerblading, Ice skating, rock climbing, soccer, pools, gym etc. We go ever year with RC and it's always amazing (helps that my better is high up on their loyalty club scheme!). There is always something to do be it a show or dance classes or bell flop competition or something else going on. You'll never get to do everythingbut you'll never be bored.

If your looking, the Voyager Class is the best one I've been on. We've been on the smaller class boats. These are very cozy and you get a more personal experience but I find them a little boring without the more sporty things. The bigger ones are great for all they have onboard, like a surfing simulate, (though they have these awesome pools that float of the edge of the ship http://www.cruisemates.com/images/RCI/freedom-tubs.jpg) but it's very busy and LOTS of people.

We also book our own flights, but that's normally as we book the cruise through some website. If you book your own flights, you will need to get from the airport to port yourself. When you book cruise and flight, RC orangise a bus for you I believe.

The only hidden cost to be aware of it you are asked to pay tips to your waiters, cleaners etc at the end of the cruise. It's about 60-100 dollars per person. They do everything in dollars. You don't have to pay this, but for the fuss they do over you, you'd need to be a real tight person not too.

Which ship / route are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

ronan45 wrote: »

Alcohol is the only thing I've ever paid for on any cruise I've been on....If it's included I'd bet it half a glass of muck every so often..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

tan11ie wrote: »
    Alcohol is the only thing I've ever paid for on any cruise I've been on....If it's included I'd bet it half a glass of muck every so often..

I was on a Cruise last year and they sold an upgrade to include wine and beer. It was 220 euro for the week. I got value, but the missus didn't as she got sick of wine and wanted cocktails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Don't want to hijack thread but any recomadations for a cruise for family of 5. In march - apr. kids are 6,7 & 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I can highly recommend Royal Caribbean Voyager class. I'm looking at MSC for later in the year, as the route suits me, but I'd happily go back to RCI again.

Sligoronan, most of the cruise ships have kids facilities, so it really depends on what you fancy and what your budget is. Mediterranean, Norway, Caribbean, Persian Gulf...

Take a look at seascanner.com to get some ideas about destinations and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

Hi wicklowwonder,
    Myself & my bf are heading on a cruise at the end of May. We are going on the Norwegian Epic departing Rome and stopping in Pisa/Florence, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma & Naples. A friend of mine went on it and recommended it to me. I booked it using cruisedirect.com and booked the flights separately with Ryanair.
    It's a 7 night cruise & we are spending a night either side in Rome. Total cost including flights was about €1200 for both of us!! That's all inclusive also so will just need spending money! Really looking forward to it as have heard great things about it. Booking using cruisedirect.com was great too really good prices and simple enough to use!

keezer wrote: »
    About 20 bars and 19 restaurants enough to keep one going, some have an extra charge but you could last the week with out paying the extra.

Hi Keezer, Do u mind me asking is water/soft drinks free on board the Epic or do you have to pay for these too? thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bb86 wrote: »
    Hi wicklowwonder,
    Myself & my bf are heading on a cruise at the end of May. We are going on the Norwegian Epic departing Rome and stopping in Pisa/Florence, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma & Naples. A friend of mine went on it and recommended it to me. I booked it using cruisedirect.com and booked the flights separately with Ryanair.
    It's a 7 night cruise & we are spending a night either side in Rome. Total cost including flights was about €1200 for both of us!! That's all inclusive also so will just need spending money! Really looking forward to it as have heard great things about it. Booking using cruisedirect.com was great too really good prices and simple enough to use!

Do Norwegian include drinks, or do you pay for those separately?

Thoie wrote: »
    Do Norwegian include drinks, or do you pay for those separately?

Alcohol is separate but I'm not sure about soft drinks & water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

bb86 wrote: »
    Alcohol is separate but I'm not sure about soft drinks & water.

Not included usually but i think you can usually buy unlimited soft drinks (from dispensing machine like in supermacs, button push) for a per head fee.

Achohol is so damn expensive. The one cruise i was on each drink was around 8 dollars. So during the day maybe 5 bottles beers and 5 cocktails for wife , during dinner a bottle of wine, and after dinner another 5 beers +5 drinks for wife ends up to a daily bill of 200$ for drink for the day!

Food is spectacular though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 family guy

Hi im looking to book a cruise for November for the wifes 30th

im looking at MSC SPLENDIDA ports are Barcelona,VALENCIA, LA GOULETTE,CIVITAVECCHIA,GENOA,MARSEILE, BARCELONA

has anyone sailed in November before?

is it a good month for sailing ?

should I wait until its warmer ?

any help suggestions would be great

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

family guy wrote: »
    Hi im looking to book a cruise for November for the wifes 30th

im looking at MSC SPLENDIDA ports are Barcelona,VALENCIA, LA GOULETTE,CIVITAVECCHIA,GENOA,MARSEILE, BARCELONA

has anyone sailed in November before?

is it a good month for sailing ?

should I wait until its warmer ?

any help suggestions would be great

cheers

Normally it's fine, you can sometimes hit a storm and it's kinda like this:

Those days can be fun and to be honest, the ship doesn't rock very much. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ladycurvy

Hi all,
    Great to see this blog / thread..... :) I went on the Liberty of the Seas (Royal Carribean) med cruise last summer and it was truely amazing. Perfect for all ages, from new born babies (yes there were familys with babies a few weeks old!!) to toddlers, all the way up to teenagers (where they have their own private floor!!!) and of course couples in their 30's and onwards. It really was for EVERYONE with all different interests and ideas of what a holiday means to them catered for. Relaxing or activity focused. There was something on every half hour on the ship from dance classes to wine tasting to napkin & towel folding to belly flop competitions and pool side entertainment and dancing etc.
    Now, this year I am bringing my 5 year old and I really have zero hesitation bringing him cruising on the R.C. but its working out SOOOO expensive (€5,500 including flights / cruise and transfers for one week departing from Barcelona) and the cruise specialist I used last year has suggested I look into possibly trying out MSC Cruises - An Italian Cruise Company.
    The MSC's brand new ship "The Preziosa" (which is exactly the same class as the new "SPLENDIDA" ship however the only real difference is the newest ship "Prizios"a has a waterpark with massive water slides on it - that just launched yesterday) is supposed to be the same 4 Stars as the RC Liberty of the Seas and the ship itself to be honest actually does look FAR superior interior decor wise (well it is an Italian cruise company)...

The MSC cruise for the exact same dates and the exact same ports of call and package is only costing €3,500 for 3 of us (versus €5,500 with RC)!!!!

....... My question and concern is that after reading some of the reviews on cruise critic is that because MSC is an Italian company the focus is NOT on the English speaking and there are VERY few Irish & English on board (which wouldn't be the main issue for me) but the main area of concern is that some reviews say that because the majority of the passangers on board are Italian that all the announcments and the entertainment is in Italian and even the KIDDIE CLUBS are not through English - which would be a disaster for us with our 5 year old!! (One English family report that even the Movie nights in the kiddie club was in Italian too!!:eek::eek:)
    So my question is has anyone any on here travelled with MSC or even on RC and MSC or know of anyone that has gone on MSC with kids that can shed some light on this area of concern?
    The evening entertainment on the RC Liberty of the Seas actually had Dreamworks on it (AMAZING for kids) and the other evening entertainment on both the promenade and in the Irish bar on board was non other than superb. I am worried that MSC won't compete with this and although there is €2K in the price difference.... would it be a case scenario of being penny wise and pound foolish????
    Don't want to regret it??

Advertisement