Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Globe Nominees

• 03-02-2021 4:34pm

List of nominations for this year: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/03/entertainment/golden-globe-nominations/index.html

Great to see Daisy Edgar Jones get her nomination, just for the amount of sex scenes alone she had to do she deserves the award lol. For such a little Irish drama to be recognised also in the best drama, is a huge feather in the cap for Irish TV and Film.

Aside from that its a pretty pitiful reading list of nominations overall though. Best Motion picture nominations...I mean I know its been a tough year, but Trial of the Chicago 7 for best film of the year? How is this even possible? Not that its crap but its decidedly average an not memorable at all. Nomadland? I must buy a video camera and follow Francis around in her van if its this easy. Mank? Clever, promising, beautifully made but I would say even the most ardent and artistic film fan would admit this in parts became a bit boring and muddled and without continuity. Promising Young woman, was decent, but forgotten a day or two later after viewing.
    Looks like Sacha Baron Cohen has been giving the right soundbites lately. Ironic that a guy who built his repertoire on cultural and race humour is now the darling of a super liberal Hollywood.

Saying all of this its hard to think of what to put in there instead. News of the world is better then anything in there I feel. But actually there's not much else. At least Da 5 bloods didn't make it...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought the Crown was the worst season so far. Gone over the top now. Although Tobias Menzies nailed it again. But the scripts were contrived, media driven and appallingly trite. Went downhill after the first 3 episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

James Cordon got a nomination.

I am out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lovecraft Country and The Mandalorian are up for Best Drama :rolleyes:

And we could soon be talking about the 'award-winning' Emily in Paris!

0 nominates for I May Destroy You.

Baffling as always.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know I've beaten the drum over the Oscars' irrelevance, but honestly, that goes double for the Golden Globes.

This is the ceremony that nominated The Martian for "Best Musical or Comedy" in 2016. They literally don't know what they're doing, I haven't even bothered looking at the shortlist as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    James Cordon got a nomination

For what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seems the whole show will be about not enough members of colour in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and this will be addressed on stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovecraft Country and The Mandalorian are up for Best Drama :rolleyes:

And we could soon be talking about the 'award-winning' Emily in Paris!

0 nominates for I May Destroy You.

Baffling as always.
    Emily in Paris....oh yeah...maybe they just loved the show...(lol).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/emily-in-paris-golden-globe-voters-corruption_n_6033bd31c5b673b19b69fb13

In news that makes those Golden Globe nominations for “Emily In Paris” slightly less surprising, voters behind the awards show said “oui” to a luxury Parisian getaway to the set of the show, according to a Los Angeles Times report.

A year before the nominations were unveiled, around 30 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press, the voting body that oversees the annual awards show, flew to Paris, France, where they stayed for two nights at the five-star Peninsula Paris hotel, with rooms starting at $1,400 per night. While in the city, the group also attended a news conference and lunch at the ultra-exclusive and private Musée des Arts Forains, where the series filmed an episode in the latter half of its first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For what?
    His horrendous "performance" in Prom.
    I turned it off he was brutal in it.

I will probably watch it well the bits with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Seems the whole show will be about not enough members of colour in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and this will be addressed on stage.

2 winners of colour already

Film inches its way closer to death as each year passes....I hope there has been a resurgence of writing during the pandemic and somebody out there can start putting together some decent original scripts and ideas in the near future that are actually dramatic and exciting.

But I suppose if not we can tune in for Francis taking another dump inside her caravan for the nomadland sequel.

Heres an interesting writer making a very worrying observation, and he is spot on in my opinion

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56208347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wolfwalkers unsurprisingly, and unjustly, beaten by Soul. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who hosted this? was it all done via zoom?

any funny bits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For what?

being a fat pussy?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

fryup wrote: »
    who hosted this? was it all done via zoom?

any funny bits?

in answer to your last question, not the monologue bits anyway , not exactly Ricky standard humour here :pac:

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1366211516676993025

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    in answer to your last question, not the monologue bits anyway , not exactly Ricky standard humour here :pac:

Surprised they didn't have canned laughter for these two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Film inches its way closer to death as each year passes....I hope there has been a resurgence of writing during the pandemic and somebody out there can start putting together some decent original scripts and ideas in the near future that are actually dramatic and exciting.

But I suppose if not we can tune in for Francis taking another dump inside her caravan for the nomadland sequel.

Heres an interesting writer making a very worrying observation, and he is spot on in my opinion

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56208347

That man is bang on

Two formerly very funny women now ultra annoying, moralising weak heads with wigs.
    I just hope forlornly, that they keep that shíte out of their future projects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a perfectly fair point in their speech about the representation and make up of these things if Hollywood is serious about diverse perspectives... but the message might have read better coming from anyone else but two white establishment figures.

I love Poehler and Fey, consider them very smart, funny comedians but they should have had the self awareness to realise their moralising would have stung and worked better coming from a Leslie Jones, Amber Ruflin or anyone else except themselves. Otherwise it all sounds a little sanctimonious and hollow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was watching BBC News last night and there was a female reporter on lambasting the Golden Globes commitee .
    Not enough black nominees, not enough female directors, no black person on the awards panel etc etc.

Well it looks like all the boxes were ticked last night.

Female Director: Tick
    Woke Tv Shows : Tick
    Black Actors: Tick
    Anti Trump Propaganda Film: Tick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a perfectly fair point in their speech about the representation and make up of these things if Hollywood is serious about diverse perspectives... but the message might have read better coming from anyone else but two white establishment figures.

I love Poehler and Fey, consider them very smart, funny comedians but they should have had the self awareness to realise their moralising would have stung and worked better coming from a Leslie Jones, Amber Ruflin or anyone else except themselves. Otherwise it all sounds a little sanctimonious and hollow.

Ah now, these people whose career is in acting appeared to be very sincere.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised Schitt's Creek was nominated for so much; that show really swept a wave of popularity starting from relative obscurity. Catherine O'Hara really was a treasure in that.

Not sure I see a great plethora of "Woke TV shows" that supposedly won, but I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know there can be a tendency to drop posthumous awards on those who pass away too early, but Boseman really is a force of nature in Ma Rainey's. Big loss for film that he didn't get more roles like that.

Delighted for Zhao's recent success (haven't seen Nomadland yet but loved The Rider), but by god it's shameful that she's only the second woman to pick up the best director award. One doesn't need to be 'woke' to see that's wayyyy askew.

I really hope Wolfwalkers picks up the Oscar - not necessarily for putting any major importance in the award itself, but I'd just love Cartoon Saloon to be properly recognised on an international stage like that. It's ten times the film Soul is as far as I'm concerned.
    I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

Seems to be the way for many commentators online - no matter how deserving the winner, it's all some sort of 'woke' agenda. Must be such a tiring and joyless way to consume film & TV, TBH.

They love Borat and The Crown

I know there can be a tendency to drop posthumous awards on those who pass away too early, but Boseman really is a force of nature in Ma Rainey's. Big loss for film that he didn't get more roles like that.

Delighted for Zhao's recent success (haven't seen Nomadland yet but loved The Rider), but by god it's shameful that she's only the second woman to pick up the best director award. One doesn't need to be 'woke' to see that's wayyyy askew.

I really hope Wolfwalkers picks up the Oscar - not necessarily for putting any major importance in the award itself, but I'd just love Cartoon Saloon to be properly recognised on an international stage like that. It's ten times the film Soul is as far as I'm concerned.

Seems to be the way for many commentators online - no matter how deserving the winner, it's all some sort of 'woke' agenda. Must be such a tiring and joyless way to consume film & TV, TBH.

What was woke was the awful cringeworthy ultra fake and scripted ‘comedy’. I mean you dont have to be right of centre for that to be an embarrassment.
    My disappointment lies in the poor quality on show. But then a lot of people seemed to like Nomadland. Sure it was shot very nicely but jeez it was boring. I got engaged by it at the start but without any real drama in there it just seemed like flat reality tv with nice cinematography the further it went on

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities. As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

Not sure I see a great plethora of "Woke TV shows" that supposedly won, but I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

Nope.
    not at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities. As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

While I have some misgivings from time to time about the way media analyses the whole diversity issue I think what you've said above just enforces the need for it. Just because a twitter mob declares us all homogenous doesn't mean society in general hasn't shaped our behaviours. Be it women preferring pink all the way to not being forceful when they need to be (which I doubt is as common as you think). You honestly think women are born without an ability to be forceful? Watch the right youtube videos these days and you'll be convinced the Orwellian marxist left are hiding in every bush ready to jump out and demand we conform to some 'wokeness'. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I saw Borat 2 - a film that I literally switched off after five mins - won two major awards last night

That's all I needed to know :pac:

I think without Gervais the Globes will evaporate into pretty much nothingness over the next 5 years. Awards ceremonies struggle as it is and I think only the Oscars and Emmys will really survive

Music wise, the Grammys might stand a chance too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities.

I've seen more than enough masterpieces by female directors to suggest a straw poll of one unnamed woman director is perhaps insufficient to capture the entire complexity of this issue :)
    As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

More than enough 'exceptions' to render the entire premise moot, frankly. I don't need any pseudo-scientific theorising about how women don't have dominant enough personalities to be great directors when I've seen dozens of great Agnes Varda, Celine Sciamma, Kelly Reichardt, Claire Denis, Chantal Akerman, Elaine May, Greta Gerwig, Lucrecia Martel, Ida Lupino, Sarah Polley, Lynne Ramsey, Maren Ade, Mati Diop, Kathryn Bigelow, Jane Campion etc etc... films. Hell, most of my absolute favourite films last year alone - Never Rarely Sometimes Always, First Cow, Time, Dick Johnson is Dead, House of Hummingbird, Saint Maud, Babyteeth etc... - were directed by women, and if anything I think the pool of films that awards are pulling from so far is rather narrow given the remarkable quality on display. To be honest, even within the pool of prominent male directors I'd say the types of personality and directorial approaches varies massively enough to make any attempt to psychologically lump them together an utterly futile exercise. Far from homogeneity, I think the sheer variety of types of directors out there is what makes cinema so wonderful and vast.

But not to lay all the blame at the feet of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association or anything like that. I think the industry, critics and audiences have often been slow off the mark to give great women directors the respect, accolades and indeed gigs regularly afforded to other, far lesser filmmakers. Agnes Varda - one of the most significant voices in all of cinema history - only seemed to get full recognition in the last years of her life, when her male contemporaries were widely celebrated far, far earlier. And then there's the fact that Hollywood itself often hasn't afforded women directors the same opportunities on a systemic basis for a long time. But thankfully it's an imbalance we're gradually seeing course-corrected.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I saw Borat 2 - a film that I literally switched off after five mins - won two major awards last night

That was pretty unbelievable.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    You honestly think women are born without an ability to be forceful? Watch the right youtube videos these days and you'll be convinced the Orwellian marxist left are hiding in every bush ready to jump out and demand we conform to some 'wokeness'. Ridiculous.

I don' think that at all, but I do think in the majority there are natural tendencies for women and for men. Then you have the groups and personality types that this doesn't apply to. But my feeling is if you did some market research and lined up a bunch of different jobs like say care workers, nurses vs mining, mechanical engineering the statistics wouldn't lie.

I've seen more than enough masterpieces by female directors to suggest a straw poll of one unnamed woman director is perhaps insufficient to capture the entire complexity of this issue :)

More than enough 'exceptions' to render the entire premise moot, frankly. I don't need any pseudo-scientific theorising about how women don't have dominant enough personalities to be great directors when I've seen dozens of great Agnes Varda, Celine Sciamma, Kelly Reichardt, Claire Denis, Chantal Akerman, Elaine May, Greta Gerwig, Lucrecia Martel, Ida Lupino, Sarah Polley, Lynne Ramsey, Maren Ade, Mati Diop, Kathryn Bigelow, Jane Campion etc etc... films. Hell, most of my absolute favourite films last year alone - Never Rarely Sometimes Always, First Cow, Time, Dick Johnson is Dead, House of Hummingbird, Saint Maud, Babyteeth etc... - were directed by women, and if anything I think the pool of films that awards are pulling from so far is rather narrow given the remarkable quality on display. To be honest, even within the pool of prominent male directors I'd say the types of personality and directorial approaches varies massively enough to make any attempt to psychologically lump them together an utterly futile exercise. Far from homogeneity, I think the sheer variety of types of directors out there is what makes cinema so wonderful and vast.

Her opinion is indeed insufficient, but this conversation was a couple of weeks ago and I found it a new and interesting perspective I hadn't considered before, and I felt like it made sense.

The thing about your argument above is that I have heard of 3 of those women, and I would consider myself pretty knowledgable about film. And I watched first cow (which for the first 40 mins was mind numbingly boring), its a small arthouse film, which I might add are the ones that usually fill out the back and forth discussions I have with you through the years :D
    Talking about big productions like putting these women in charge of the likes of Gary Busey and Patrick Swazye and I think this is something that requires or at least required very strong personalities, and probably an aggressive one. The likes of Kathryn Bigalow have been few and far between.
    Saying all of that society is changing now, and women will and are finding it easier to make films, because men have to stay in check and can't get away with lets say 'masculine' behaviour of the past.
    Its just a pity for womens sake that mainstream film itself is on a ventilator at the moment.

This came up in the sexual assault thread; 90% of film productions pass with neither incident nor ego, yet there's this persistent myth that somehow it's a fact of existence one must coral and cope with gigantic ássholes on-set; where we speak in euphemisms of being "mercurial" or "auteurs" to forgive the Brandos or Kubricks of toxic, hostile behaviour. Behaviour that'd be unacceptable in other environments. And so the contention is that women couldn't possibly deal with this? Maybe, maybe not - it's hubris to presume that I'd know the mindset of men or women in general - but maybe the overall point really should be .. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO.

There are plenty of female managers in plenty of offices across the land that tick along, and I daresay anyone who tries to be an "auteur" in a department's team would soon find themselves in HR, explaining their actions. Yet here we are again, talking up directing & Hollywood like it's some mystical realm that only the bravest, boldest warriors of spirit can enter.

Nope, not buying it. The only difference with a film-set is one of scale, and as such, that increased pressure and importance for collaboration. A lot of very niche roles playing their part to produce a piece of art-media. For me, the pattern and median here is a productive and collaborative industry - not an argumentative or disruptive one. Like I said, there are THOUSANDS of productions a year, and like everything else in life, the news never, ever reads "dog bites man; everything's normal"

And if we're talking Big Productions and a poverty of female directors, then both Captain Marvel and the Wonder Woman films act as useful bellwethers towards the notion that, hey, a blockbuster is possible without nursemaiding egos - yet still huge commercial successes. Well, it's unclear what "success" constitutes with Wonder Woman '84, but Captain Marvel made 1+ billion dollars (albeit co-helmed if we're getting pedantic) without a sweat or actors who are "trouble" to work with.

To nod towards the other thread again, I'm unsure how I feel these days about the likes of Stanley Kubrick - or even a personal fave like David Fincher - whose work will outlive us all yet was an ogre to actors who wouldn't gel. It's the likes of Kubrick that have allowed this waffle of Auteur Theory to persist into the modern-day; that film production is some exception to the rule of every other workplace.

To quote Boards.ie itself: Don't Be a Dick ... unless you're a director or actor, then it's OK? Like I said, nope :)

Ratings were down ~50-60% from last year, looks like the format is dying

This came up in the sexual assault thread; 90% of film productions pass with neither incident nor ego, yet there's this persistent myth that somehow it's a fact of existence one must coral and cope with gigantic ássholes on-set; where we speak in euphemisms of being "mercurial" or "auteurs" to forgive the Brandos or Kubricks of toxic, hostile behaviour. Behaviour that'd be unacceptable in other environments. And so the contention is that women couldn't possibly deal with this? Maybe, maybe not - it's hubris to presume that I'd know the mindset of men or women in general - but maybe the overall point really should be .. NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO.

There are plenty of female managers in plenty of offices across the land that tick along, and I daresay anyone who tries to be an "auteur" in a department's team would soon find themselves in HR, explaining their actions. Yet here we are again, talking up directing & Hollywood like it's some mystical realm that only the bravest, boldest warriors of spirit can enter.

Nope, not buying it. The only difference with a film-set is one of scale, and as such, that increased pressure and importance for collaboration. A lot of very niche roles playing their part to produce a piece of art-media. For me, the pattern and median here is a productive and collaborative industry - not an argumentative or disruptive one. Like I said, there are THOUSANDS of productions a year, and like everything else in life, the news never, ever reads "dog bites man; everything's normal"

And if we're talking Big Productions and a poverty of female directors, then both Captain Marvel and the Wonder Woman films act as useful bellwethers towards the notion that, hey, a blockbuster is possible without nursemaiding egos - yet still huge commercial successes. Well, it's unclear what "success" constitutes with Wonder Woman '84, but Captain Marvel made 1+ billion dollars (albeit co-helmed if we're getting pedantic) without a sweat or actors who are "trouble" to work with.

To nod towards the other thread again, I'm unsure how I feel these days about the likes of Stanley Kubrick - or even a personal fave like David Fincher - whose work will outlive us all yet was an ogre to actors who wouldn't gel. It's the likes of Kubrick that have allowed this waffle of Auteur Theory to persist into the modern-day; that film production is some exception to the rule of every other workplace.

To quote Boards.ie itself: Don't Be a Dick ... unless you're a director or actor, then it's OK? Like I said, nope :)

In the realm of movie making I think there is a very long list of aggressive and infamously difficult directors who pushed people beyond what's acceptable in today's world, and would end careers in the corporate world immediately.
    Olive Stone bullied JLo into her sex scene in U Turn. Lars Von Trier notoriously aggressive, Michael Bay, Hitchcock, Kurisawa, Cameron, Friedkin, Herzog....the list of infamous aggressive directors with tales of being horrible to actors to get their best work goes on and on.
    I don't think its a coincidence that to manage such ego's as you get with actors and produce some of the greatest works of screen history directors were needed who by all reports were complete assholes on set. This whether socially acceptable or not was the cocktail for some of the greatest acting performances ever. I remember Joe Pesci talking about Stone saying he was a complete asshole, a nasty guy but that he brought out his best work.
    I really don't think this stuff is a myth when it comes to film making. Not to say you can't produce a masterpiece being a kind understated likeable director, but there is plenty to show throughout history the opposite is very effective.

And does that sort of personality come more naturally to men? I would say it does.

[...]
    I really don't think this stuff is a myth when it comes to film making. Not to say you can't produce a masterpiece being a kind understated likeable director, but there is plenty to show throughout history the opposite is very effective.

And does that sort of personality come more naturally to men? I would say it does.

My contention was not that the behaviour itself was a myth, but that it is a necessary component of the creative process. As said, the vast, vast majority of TV and film productions do not need to contend with inflated egos or Marlon Brandos, and it is often mere fashion that dictates masterpieces of their day. And while there's a list of great actors pushed by aggressive directors, there's also a list of those almost destroyed by that aggression; be it the likes of Tippi Hedren, Shelly Duvall or Jake Gyllenhaal. It makes for cute stories - like when Friedkin slapped a priest during The Exorcist's shooting, to get a "better" performance - but I don't buy the idea they are a Necessary Evil either.

The "so it goes" excuse just feels empty, a slippery slope; and in any case, all history shows us is inertia towards any kind of attempt to downplay the power Stars - be they directorial or acting - were given on-set. In fact, maybe that's one of the few structural benefits the MCU has introduced: the proof that you don't need giant, overpaid stars (Downey Jr's paycheque notwithstanding) to push a movie into the limelight; that if the IP or idea itself is good enough, the rest follows. And because of that, suddenly it feels like the atmosphere to indulge a Brando doesn't exist to the same extent as it did. Could "The Island of Dr. Moreau" happen again in today's Hollywood? Probably not, and we might have got a better film too.

To get analogous: the pyramids were built off tens of thousands of broken backs, and while the end-result remains astonishing to this day, it doesn't mean construction still requires whips & slaves to happen, or that architecture only peaked because of it. Or indeed, negate our ability to appreciate the Good with the Bad. Things change, art changes; Hollywood is one of the slowest industries to trend towards progress but it's getting there.

Maybe you should ask your female director friend to sign up, 'cos I'd be interested to get her unfiltered opinion rather than second-hand via yourself. Given the last time we spoke you humblebragged your Playa status ;):)

• Advertisement

Have some great directors been absolute assholes on set? Of course.

Have some great directors been more mild-mannered, calm and collaborative on set? Of course... it just makes for rather less juicy behind-the-scenes stories.

And once again: working practices that were once 'acceptable' doesn't mean they're acceptable now, let alone a constructive way of creating art.

Herzog and Kinski may have wanted to murder each other, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case with Ralph Fiennes and Wes Anderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I think without Gervais the Globes will evaporate into pretty much nothingness over the next 5 years. Awards ceremonies struggle as it is and I think only the Oscars and Emmys will really survive

Music wise, the Grammys might stand a chance too

Well Borat helped to get rid of Trump with his propaganda film, and most of Hollywood has TDS so it makes sense that he would be rewarded.

I know its been a poor year for films and tv with Covid but these award ceremonies seem to be on a downward spiral the last few years especially the film side.
    The calibre of films winning awards is really poor.

My contention was not that the behaviour itself was a myth, but that it is a necessary component of the creative process. As said, the vast, vast majority of TV and film productions do not need to contend with inflated egos or Marlon Brandos, and it is often mere fashion that dictates masterpieces of their day. And while there's a list of great actors pushed by aggressive directors, there's also a list of those almost destroyed by that aggression; be it the likes of Tippi Hedren, Shelly Duvall or Jake Gyllenhaal. It makes for cute stories - like when Friedkin slapped a priest during The Exorcist's shooting, to get a "better" performance - but I don't buy the idea they are a Necessary Evil either.

The "so it goes" excuse just feels empty, a slippery slope; and in any case, all history shows us is inertia towards any kind of attempt to downplay the power Stars - be they directorial or acting - were given on-set. In fact, maybe that's one of the few structural benefits the MCU has introduced: the proof that you don't need giant, overpaid stars (Downey Jr's paycheque notwithstanding) to push a movie into the limelight; that if the IP or idea itself is good enough, the rest follows. And because of that, suddenly it feels like the atmosphere to indulge a Brando doesn't exist to the same extent as it did. Could "The Island of Dr. Moreau" happen again in today's Hollywood? Probably not, and we might have got a better film too.

To get analogous: the pyramids were built off tens of thousands of broken backs, and while the end-result remains astonishing to this day, it doesn't mean construction still requires whips & slaves to happen, or that architecture only peaked because of it. Or indeed, negate our ability to appreciate the Good with the Bad. Things change, art changes; Hollywood is one of the slowest industries to trend towards progress but it's getting there.

Maybe you should ask your female director friend to sign up, 'cos I'd be interested to get her unfiltered opinion rather than second-hand via yourself. Given the last time we spoke you humblebragged your Playa status ;):)

the Pyramids being built by slaves is a myth and ironically enough propagated by Hollywood films. :D

the Pyramids being built by slaves is a myth and ironically enough propagated by Hollywood films. :D

AFAIK they were slave adjacent? Not fully in the sense of how we think of slaves ordinarily but more like the "slaves" currently working in the UAE and Qater ATM?

As an aside, I did read that to Cleopatra, the Pyramids were already as old to her (~2000 years), as she would be now to us (~2000 years). That's kind of insane.

AFAIK they were slave adjacent? Not fully in the sense of how we think of slaves ordinarily but more like the "slaves" currently working in the UAE and Qater ATM?

As an aside, I did read that to Cleopatra, the Pyramids were already as old to her (~2000 years), as she would be now to us (~2000 years). That's kind of insane.

the argument was that they discovered worker villages that were of a higher standard than mere slaves would had got, so more a case that workers were enticed there. No point getting into it, just thought it was amusing with he old hollywood film most likely misrepresented the situation

• Advertisement

I'll give you that, its is not a requirement at all. Much of my all time favourite productions are TV Drama's which often have a long list of jobbing directors who could be switched out.

But I am someone who appreciates the mavericks and flawed characters of the world, always have since I was a small kid. I think it can create amazing art across all forms. It can also hurt a lot of people and so these mavericks have to suffer the consquences of their behaviour too. Stone has always been my favourite director and he has done some fairly questionable stuff indeed, it surprises me a lot he has not been called out much.
    Even with platoon where he made the actors live in the jungle before weeks of filming so they all hated him and each other, by the time the action rolled. It created a masterpiece that I believe would not have been nearly as effective if he didn't bully them into it. The last scene when Sheen is airlifted in the copter Stone is actually sitting opposite him and tells him you are actually going home for real, and he totally breaks down in relief after the horrors of the previous months. This is the kind of thing that the ego maniac horrible director can create, through lets say unfair practices and manipulating actors to me is a snapshot of the art for the annals of history and time.
    If I look at all my heroes growing up they were all controversial, do whatever they want kind of people, and they all succeeded and suffered because of it.
    This to me is a far more fascinating world to live in then everybody being nice and meeting social codes. Of course its a much more brutal world, and a more brutal film industry and maybe if I was female my hero's would have been the women that rallied against such things.
    Maybe you should ask your female director friend to sign up, 'cos I'd be interested to get her unfiltered opinion rather than second-hand via yourself. Given the last time we spoke you humblebragged your Playa status

Unfortunately this relationship didn't last after she said Incendies was ten times more powerful then Salvador :D

I'll give you that, its is not a requirement at all. Much of my all time favourite productions are TV Drama's which often have a long list of jobbing directors who could be switched out.

But I am someone who appreciates the mavericks and flawed characters of the world, always have since I was a small kid. I think it can create amazing art across all forms. It can also hurt a lot of people and so these mavericks have to suffer the consquences of their behaviour too. Stone has always been my favourite director and he has done some fairly questionable stuff indeed, it surprises me a lot he has not been called out much.

I write a little in my spare time and having chatted to a few published authors via seminars et al, I quickly grew tired of this persistent bollix of The Auteur, of the Tortured Artist; those mortals who live in rarer climbs, eschewing basic social niceties, or even common manners, on the basis that they are AN ARTIST OF IMPORT.

Now, to be fair there's a big distance between ... I dunno, mundane ássholery and self-absorption, and the abusive toxic version that hitherto justified directors essentially putting actors through mental torture; but I also think it's all part of the same sphere of self-mythologising. The belief that you can basically dehumanise those working under you for the sake of perceived artistic purity?

To your story of Platoon: the question for me is was any of that even necessary? Would a director with better people skills got the same good performances had they worked with the actors, instead of torturing them? It was hardly the first Vietnam movie with intense, memorable performances after-all, so honestly, I doubt it. There's an argument of sadism at play here: a lust to put underlings through the mill, while working through their own psychosexual hang-ups? (stand up Hitchcock there)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think there is a bit of cargo-cultism about Arsehole Directors, as though "director X was a notoriously abusive arsehole to his cast" and "Director X got a career-best performance out of Actor Y in film Z" are clearly causally linked rather than being two facts that describe some, but not all, of the circumstance. As others have said, plenty of films are made by affable collaborative directors, but that doesn't fit the cult-of-personality, individual-exceptionalism bollox that permeates so much of contemporary Western culture.

My gut feel is that arseholery is not only not a requirement for good filmmaking but likely gets in the way more often than not. A few high profile examples of films which also turned out to be very good should be viewed as great performances from actors lumbered with a colossal bollix of a director, rather than achievements of said bollix director. The Shining is a good film, but I would rather have a version where Shelley Duvall wasn't traumatized by Kubrick during its production.

I also feel the conversation isn't helped by suggesting that the sexes have innate traits, rather than cultures having conventions with variable degrees of strictness about what behaviours are "masculine" or "feminine". But we're already decrying wokeness in this thread so perhaps I shouldn't poke that particular bear :p

I mentioned the film already and related to the above: The Island of Dr. Moreau is, IMO, a perfect example of when this Cult of Personality goes wrong. A cocktail of Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer creating a shoot that went spectacularly wrong; precisely because two notoriously awful human beings were indulged and allowed to run amok. Two directors tried their best - I know little of Richard Stanley and John Frankenheimer's respective personalities TBH - but ultimately the film went down in history as a modern cinematic disaster.

I'm not saying ...Moreau is a lost classic, but to my mind a perfect encapsulation of what Fysh alludes to; that for all the talk about "Director X pushed a great performance from Actor Y", it also goes wrong as often as it goes right.

The belief that you can basically dehumanise those working under you for the sake of perceived artistic purity?

In that case you are talking about someone just full of themselves and going overboard on the 'artist purity' and integrity etc.
    Im more thinking along the lines of some of these people are a bit mad, anti social, perhaps even a bit psychotic and its often these people who produce the best art. If you go down through the greats through history 'flawed genius' has been a trait forever- Mozart, Beethoven...Van Gogh, Picasso....Romario, Hagi....Kurbrick, Stone. It is often those with the most skill in their realm who fail at many of the more typical skills one might expect from a person.

As for Platoon and the likes we will never really know. I'd really believe the hatred that you see on that set with the likes of Barnes and Elias was palpable and Stone had a lot to do with that, and it make Barnes character in particular incredibly evil.

Its a good debate though and there are merits to both sides of the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I mentioned the film already and related to the above: The Island of Dr. Moreau is, IMO, a perfect example of when this Cult of Personality goes wrong. A cocktail of Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer creating a shoot that went spectacularly wrong; precisely because two notoriously awful human beings were indulged and allowed to run amok. Two directors tried their best - I know little of Richard Stanley and John Frankenheimer's respective personalities TBH - but ultimately the film went down in history as a modern cinematic disaster.

I'm not saying ...Moreau is a lost classic, but to my mind a perfect encapsulation of what Fysh alludes to; that for all the talk about "Director X pushed a great performance from Actor Y", it also goes wrong as often as it goes right.

Isn't that a very different thing to what's being discussed though.
    A highly driven perfectionist director who doesn't care about emotional toll on others if it gets the perfect shot Vs pampered abrasive actors.

What age is Anglea Bassett, she looks amazing

Tina and Amy were poor presenting, very disappointed as I like them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Isn't that a very different thing to what's being discussed though.
    A highly driven perfectionist director who doesn't care about emotional toll on others if it gets the perfect shot Vs pampered abrasive actors.

I don't see the behaviour as different, even if the perceived (or stated) motives are different - it boils down to "But I am special and should be indulged in my Colossal Bellendery because I'm an artist, and if I decide that means I have to be abusive or outright commit assault against someone, well, that's Art".

This would not be tolerated in most other places (although Tech Bros have been doing a good job of promoting the utter nonsense of the Arsehole Superstar for a while) and should not be tolerated in film either.

Advertisement