Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golden Globe Nominees

• 03-02-2021 4:34pm

List of nominations for this year: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/03/entertainment/golden-globe-nominations/index.html

Great to see Daisy Edgar Jones get her nomination, just for the amount of sex scenes alone she had to do she deserves the award lol. For such a little Irish drama to be recognised also in the best drama, is a huge feather in the cap for Irish TV and Film.

Aside from that its a pretty pitiful reading list of nominations overall though. Best Motion picture nominations...I mean I know its been a tough year, but Trial of the Chicago 7 for best film of the year? How is this even possible? Not that its crap but its decidedly average an not memorable at all. Nomadland? I must buy a video camera and follow Francis around in her van if its this easy. Mank? Clever, promising, beautifully made but I would say even the most ardent and artistic film fan would admit this in parts became a bit boring and muddled and without continuity. Promising Young woman, was decent, but forgotten a day or two later after viewing.
    Looks like Sacha Baron Cohen has been giving the right soundbites lately. Ironic that a guy who built his repertoire on cultural and race humour is now the darling of a super liberal Hollywood.

Saying all of this its hard to think of what to put in there instead. News of the world is better then anything in there I feel. But actually there's not much else. At least Da 5 bloods didn't make it...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thought the Crown was the worst season so far. Gone over the top now. Although Tobias Menzies nailed it again. But the scripts were contrived, media driven and appallingly trite. Went downhill after the first 3 episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

James Cordon got a nomination.

I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lovecraft Country and The Mandalorian are up for Best Drama :rolleyes:

And we could soon be talking about the 'award-winning' Emily in Paris!

0 nominates for I May Destroy You.

Baffling as always.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know I've beaten the drum over the Oscars' irrelevance, but honestly, that goes double for the Golden Globes.

This is the ceremony that nominated The Martian for "Best Musical or Comedy" in 2016. They literally don't know what they're doing, I haven't even bothered looking at the shortlist as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,849 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    James Cordon got a nomination

For what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seems the whole show will be about not enough members of colour in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and this will be addressed on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovecraft Country and The Mandalorian are up for Best Drama :rolleyes:

And we could soon be talking about the 'award-winning' Emily in Paris!

0 nominates for I May Destroy You.

Baffling as always.
    Emily in Paris....oh yeah...maybe they just loved the show...(lol).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/emily-in-paris-golden-globe-voters-corruption_n_6033bd31c5b673b19b69fb13

In news that makes those Golden Globe nominations for “Emily In Paris” slightly less surprising, voters behind the awards show said “oui” to a luxury Parisian getaway to the set of the show, according to a Los Angeles Times report.

A year before the nominations were unveiled, around 30 members of the Hollywood Foreign Press, the voting body that oversees the annual awards show, flew to Paris, France, where they stayed for two nights at the five-star Peninsula Paris hotel, with rooms starting at $1,400 per night. While in the city, the group also attended a news conference and lunch at the ultra-exclusive and private Musée des Arts Forains, where the series filmed an episode in the latter half of its first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For what?
    His horrendous "performance" in Prom.
    I turned it off he was brutal in it.

I will probably watch it well the bits with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Seems the whole show will be about not enough members of colour in the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and this will be addressed on stage.

2 winners of colour already

Film inches its way closer to death as each year passes....I hope there has been a resurgence of writing during the pandemic and somebody out there can start putting together some decent original scripts and ideas in the near future that are actually dramatic and exciting.

But I suppose if not we can tune in for Francis taking another dump inside her caravan for the nomadland sequel.

Heres an interesting writer making a very worrying observation, and he is spot on in my opinion

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56208347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wolfwalkers unsurprisingly, and unjustly, beaten by Soul. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who hosted this? was it all done via zoom?

any funny bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For what?

being a fat pussy?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fryup wrote: »
    who hosted this? was it all done via zoom?

any funny bits?

in answer to your last question, not the monologue bits anyway , not exactly Ricky standard humour here :pac:

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1366211516676993025

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    in answer to your last question, not the monologue bits anyway , not exactly Ricky standard humour here :pac:

Surprised they didn't have canned laughter for these two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

El Rifle wrote: »
    Film inches its way closer to death as each year passes....I hope there has been a resurgence of writing during the pandemic and somebody out there can start putting together some decent original scripts and ideas in the near future that are actually dramatic and exciting.

But I suppose if not we can tune in for Francis taking another dump inside her caravan for the nomadland sequel.

Heres an interesting writer making a very worrying observation, and he is spot on in my opinion

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56208347

That man is bang on

silverharp wrote: »

Two formerly very funny women now ultra annoying, moralising weak heads with wigs.
    I just hope forlornly, that they keep that shíte out of their future projects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a perfectly fair point in their speech about the representation and make up of these things if Hollywood is serious about diverse perspectives... but the message might have read better coming from anyone else but two white establishment figures.

I love Poehler and Fey, consider them very smart, funny comedians but they should have had the self awareness to realise their moralising would have stung and worked better coming from a Leslie Jones, Amber Ruflin or anyone else except themselves. Otherwise it all sounds a little sanctimonious and hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was watching BBC News last night and there was a female reporter on lambasting the Golden Globes commitee .
    Not enough black nominees, not enough female directors, no black person on the awards panel etc etc.

Well it looks like all the boxes were ticked last night.

Female Director: Tick
    Woke Tv Shows : Tick
    Black Actors: Tick
    Anti Trump Propaganda Film: Tick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a perfectly fair point in their speech about the representation and make up of these things if Hollywood is serious about diverse perspectives... but the message might have read better coming from anyone else but two white establishment figures.

I love Poehler and Fey, consider them very smart, funny comedians but they should have had the self awareness to realise their moralising would have stung and worked better coming from a Leslie Jones, Amber Ruflin or anyone else except themselves. Otherwise it all sounds a little sanctimonious and hollow.

Ah now, these people whose career is in acting appeared to be very sincere.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised Schitt's Creek was nominated for so much; that show really swept a wave of popularity starting from relative obscurity. Catherine O'Hara really was a treasure in that.

Not sure I see a great plethora of "Woke TV shows" that supposedly won, but I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know there can be a tendency to drop posthumous awards on those who pass away too early, but Boseman really is a force of nature in Ma Rainey's. Big loss for film that he didn't get more roles like that.

Delighted for Zhao's recent success (haven't seen Nomadland yet but loved The Rider), but by god it's shameful that she's only the second woman to pick up the best director award. One doesn't need to be 'woke' to see that's wayyyy askew.

I really hope Wolfwalkers picks up the Oscar - not necessarily for putting any major importance in the award itself, but I'd just love Cartoon Saloon to be properly recognised on an international stage like that. It's ten times the film Soul is as far as I'm concerned.
    I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

Seems to be the way for many commentators online - no matter how deserving the winner, it's all some sort of 'woke' agenda. Must be such a tiring and joyless way to consume film & TV, TBH.

They love Borat and The Crown

I know there can be a tendency to drop posthumous awards on those who pass away too early, but Boseman really is a force of nature in Ma Rainey's. Big loss for film that he didn't get more roles like that.

Delighted for Zhao's recent success (haven't seen Nomadland yet but loved The Rider), but by god it's shameful that she's only the second woman to pick up the best director award. One doesn't need to be 'woke' to see that's wayyyy askew.

I really hope Wolfwalkers picks up the Oscar - not necessarily for putting any major importance in the award itself, but I'd just love Cartoon Saloon to be properly recognised on an international stage like that. It's ten times the film Soul is as far as I'm concerned.

Seems to be the way for many commentators online - no matter how deserving the winner, it's all some sort of 'woke' agenda. Must be such a tiring and joyless way to consume film & TV, TBH.

What was woke was the awful cringeworthy ultra fake and scripted ‘comedy’. I mean you dont have to be right of centre for that to be an embarrassment.
    My disappointment lies in the poor quality on show. But then a lot of people seemed to like Nomadland. Sure it was shot very nicely but jeez it was boring. I got engaged by it at the start but without any real drama in there it just seemed like flat reality tv with nice cinematography the further it went on

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities. As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

Not sure I see a great plethora of "Woke TV shows" that supposedly won, but I guess a black or female lead is enough to classify them as thus these days?

Nope.
    not at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities. As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

While I have some misgivings from time to time about the way media analyses the whole diversity issue I think what you've said above just enforces the need for it. Just because a twitter mob declares us all homogenous doesn't mean society in general hasn't shaped our behaviours. Be it women preferring pink all the way to not being forceful when they need to be (which I doubt is as common as you think). You honestly think women are born without an ability to be forceful? Watch the right youtube videos these days and you'll be convinced the Orwellian marxist left are hiding in every bush ready to jump out and demand we conform to some 'wokeness'. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I saw Borat 2 - a film that I literally switched off after five mins - won two major awards last night

That's all I needed to know :pac:

I think without Gervais the Globes will evaporate into pretty much nothingness over the next 5 years. Awards ceremonies struggle as it is and I think only the Oscars and Emmys will really survive

Music wise, the Grammys might stand a chance too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The other things about women winning best director, is it takes strong dominant personalities to direct major films. I had this conversation with a female director recently. She said it didnt come naturally to her to push people around verbally which she felt she had to do, and that this was more suited to males who had more forceful personalities.

I've seen more than enough masterpieces by female directors to suggest a straw poll of one unnamed woman director is perhaps insufficient to capture the entire complexity of this issue :)
    As much as society tries to tell us were are all homogenous milk cartons, men and women are different and are drawn to different roles and professions in life. Of course there are many exceptions. And of course like the guy in google who got thrown out for suggesting this in the world of computer programming its not acceptable talk. But in my opinion its a big part of the reason there has not been more female winners.

More than enough 'exceptions' to render the entire premise moot, frankly. I don't need any pseudo-scientific theorising about how women don't have dominant enough personalities to be great directors when I've seen dozens of great Agnes Varda, Celine Sciamma, Kelly Reichardt, Claire Denis, Chantal Akerman, Elaine May, Greta Gerwig, Lucrecia Martel, Ida Lupino, Sarah Polley, Lynne Ramsey, Maren Ade, Mati Diop, Kathryn Bigelow, Jane Campion etc etc... films. Hell, most of my absolute favourite films last year alone - Never Rarely Sometimes Always, First Cow, Time, Dick Johnson is Dead, House of Hummingbird, Saint Maud, Babyteeth etc... - were directed by women, and if anything I think the pool of films that awards are pulling from so far is rather narrow given the remarkable quality on display. To be honest, even within the pool of prominent male directors I'd say the types of personality and directorial approaches varies massively enough to make any attempt to psychologically lump them together an utterly futile exercise. Far from homogeneity, I think the sheer variety of types of directors out there is what makes cinema so wonderful and vast.

But not to lay all the blame at the feet of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association or anything like that. I think the industry, critics and audiences have often been slow off the mark to give great women directors the respect, accolades and indeed gigs regularly afforded to other, far lesser filmmakers. Agnes Varda - one of the most significant voices in all of cinema history - only seemed to get full recognition in the last years of her life, when her male contemporaries were widely celebrated far, far earlier. And then there's the fact that Hollywood itself often hasn't afforded women directors the same opportunities on a systemic basis for a long time. But thankfully it's an imbalance we're gradually seeing course-corrected.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I saw Borat 2 - a film that I literally switched off after five mins - won two major awards last night

That's all I needed to know :pac:
    That was pretty unbelievable.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    You honestly think women are born without an ability to be forceful? Watch the right youtube videos these days and you'll be convinced the Orwellian marxist left are hiding in every bush ready to jump out and demand we conform to some 'wokeness'. Ridiculous.

I don' think that at all, but I do think in the majority there are natural tendencies for women and for men. Then you have the groups and personality types that this doesn't apply to. But my feeling is if you did some market research and lined up a bunch of different jobs like say care workers, nurses vs mining, mechanical engineering the statistics wouldn't lie.

Advertisement