Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues

Options
  • 14-02-2021 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I've been running in this exercise cycle for 18 months. My general warmup routine is walk static stretching, walk, run then walk, static stretching, walk.

This has done me fine for a long time. I've occasionally had to take a few days off when I get stiff. But generally I listen to my body and run 3/4 times a week cycle twice a week and do weights 3 times a week.

I've been told though that static stretching as a warmup to running can lead to injury. So I've switched to walk, dynamic stretching, strides, run for an hour, then walk, static stretching, walk.

Thing is though I've recently been getting niggles when I run. This morning it was my ankle, last week my hamstring.

Generally I'm happy with my new routine. My times have improved slightly. Plus I appreciate the opportunity to do some anaerobic, sprint work (strides).

My question is this. Should I go back to static stretching or continue with my new routine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 david992

It's right to do a warm-up before running or exercising. Are you enjoying your new routine? If so, keep doing what you normally do. I like that you are not focused on one type of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

The professional advise is dynamic stretching before exercise and statice stretching after it. With your new routine are you doing any static stretching at the end of your workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭MouseMan01

size5 wrote: »
    The professional advise is dynamic stretching before exercise and statice stretching after it. With your new routine are you doing any static stretching at the end of your workout?

Sure.

I've gone back to walk->static stretching->strides.

It's what works for me...

Advertisement