Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding on a Thursday

Options
13»

Comments

Hey guys
    Just wondering what are your thoughts on getting invited to a wedding on a Thursday ,
    We have decided to cancel our wedding this summer and rebooked it for next year , Just kind of stuck between doing it on a Friday or a Thursday next year ,,

The available Thursday suits us because its 1 month earlier than the Friday is available,

Now its not a massive inconvenience to us to wait a month for the Friday but i'm just wondering what do guest think of getting invites for a Thursday ,

If there is a friday available a month later, take the friday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

lazygal wrote: »
    In some ways I'd love a covid wedding. You'll only have to invite people you want there.

Be careful what you wish for. We're hoping for 25 and will obviously only be inviting people we really want there. The problem is, they might not want to be there. My own parents are only willing to stay for the ceremony. My sister refuses to come out of fear and my brother lives abroad, so it won't really be feasible for him to come. So even though we'll (hopefully) have only 25 people, none of them will actually include the people I want there the most.
    lazygal wrote: »
    I know a few couples who just went to the registry office with two witnesses and now aren't going to bother with a big party because there's no point after being married for months (their words).

That's my feeling too tbh. I know a lot of people are going with this option, including a good friend of mine. Whatever we do on the day itself though, that's the wedding celebration, not a party we have months/years later.

I would do whatever you both feel comfortable with OP. These are strange times and the people who matter will understand that you can't be too choosy. We considered getting married on a Thursday because we had difficulty finding a Saturday with numbers under 100. Not everyone would have made it but that is going to be the case now anyways.

As an aside there is something I notice and that's a kind of, dismissive maybe, attitude towards anyone who would like a big wedding.
    Alot of people have said to us how our numbers are so much better than say 100 or 200. There's an element of looking down ones nose at inviting loads of guests or even having lots of extra things.

Weddings really bring out the strange in some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

When it comes to inviting guests to a wedding, you are damned if you do damned if you don't. The people who say they love a small wedding would be the first ones offended if a close friend didn't invite them due to a small wedding!
    You cannot win when it comes to weddings, if you do everything like every other wedding it is samey, if you do something different is showing off or trying to be cool.

Advertisement