Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Go back to college or train for something.

There is so much work out there that it is now difficult to find anyone actually willing to so it.

That seems contradictory. If there's so much work why does he need to go to college or do additional training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Most companies filled Christmas work months ago

And they're now way too busy to think about the faff that goes with hiring and training someone new up.

If they're not a Christmas busy industry, chances are they're doing a million year end things or simply winding down for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Engage a poetic licence when drafting your cv

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Austria! wrote: »
    That seems contradictory. If there's so much work why does he need to go to college or do additional training?
    Because plenty of jobs still need a basic level of qualification.

It's one thing to say that companies are crying out for software developers, but that doesn't mean they're going to take just anyone in off the street and sit them in front of a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It’s probably too late for you now, sorry. Just go on the sick and live the high life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Austria! wrote: »

Depends if he wants a skilled or unskilled job. Not much info has been provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

frosty123 wrote: »
    Honest to god...sending out cv's left right and centre, signed up with recruitment agencies, not being in anyway fussy even warehouse work would do and ......nothing, no replies nothing, even aldi & lidl don't wanna know.

Granted i'm long term unemployed (over 2 years) and in my late 30's..but i thought i'd get at least some sort of response esp this time of year, but ..no, zilch!

am i on the scrapeheap for life? :o

(i'm in the mid-west btw, near Limerick)

No one else has said it so I'm obliged by the laws of AH to ask if you considered being a snowman, Frosty? Right time of year for it, very seasonal work.

Seriously though, best of luck, its a horrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Own opinion
    CVS never got me a good job or any for that matter
    It's all who you know,certain industries and jobs are a closed shop unless you know someone
    Ask around friends and family
    Your doing your best,keep your head up
    Don't let it get in on you
    Life's to short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hey Frosty, sorry to read it.

Firstly, how is the economy doing in your locality? Am I right in saying it's not one of the better regions for job opportunities? Would moving be an option? A lot of jobs in Cork, which isn't too far. An Irish Water call centre is in Cork. :D

What kind of work experience/training do you have?

How effective do you think your CV is? E.g. are you tailoring it to suit each organisation?

Is there anything you could get involved with on a voluntary basis while job hunting? Are you going for the jobs that lots don't want to do? E.g. call centres - I see the Three call centre is in Limerick. Also HCL Technologies - the eir outsourcer. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Pelvis wrote: »
    Yes, but unfortunately you can't put "constantly looking for work" on your CV.

There's not a whole pile more the OP can do apart from keep looking really. Most folk have gaps on a CV.

But yeah, do give voluntary work a go ,always looks good on a CV. It's a recent reference too.

Like others have said maybe reformat your CV to have it more streamlined and concise, there's load of good examples online and I always reckon it's best to go to an interview in a suit, even if it's fairly remedial work, it gives off a good impression straight away.

Best of luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

December is not a great time to be looking for (permanent) jobs.
    Might have been better to have started in mid January.
    Keep plugging away now that you've started and have some momentum.
    You have to be strong and resilient and not lose heart. Some good advice above
    about networking. Talk to everyone you know and half know - get it out there you're in the market for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Don’t put your criminal record on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

Offer to work somewhere for a week for free and see if that will lead to something. Have heard of people doing that in restaurants, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Honest to god...sending out cv's left right and centre, signed up with recruitment agencies, not being in anyway fussy even warehouse work would do and ......nothing, no replies nothing, even aldi & lidl don't wanna know.

Granted i'm long term unemployed (over 2 years) and in my late 30's..but i thought i'd get at least some sort of response esp this time of year, but ..no, zilch!

(i'm in the mid-west btw, near Limerick)

If you're not getting any responses the maybe your CV sucks. Get some professional advice on the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

chancer12 wrote: »
    Offer to work somewhere for a week for free and see if that will lead to something. Have heard of people doing that in restaurants, best of luck

Never work for free
    Know your worth
    By all means help around as a volunteer but do not work for a company for nothing
    You will be used

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

been there done that x 100
    What have you retrained in? How useless was the course? What course did you do? Did you get a industry recognised certificate from the course, or did you get some bullsh|t piece of paper saying that you did XYZ course?
    yep, i've done that, blitz my local business parks and industrial estates.....but zilch! just the usual "we'll keep you in mind"
    In that case, your CV is useless. Get someone to look at it. You could be shooting yourself in the foot with your own CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

An honest, get your hands dirty job right there

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

December is not a great time to be looking for (permanent) jobs.

i started back in September
    If you're not getting any responses the maybe your CV sucks. Get some professional advice on the CV.

i did from my "good friends" in turas nua :rolleyes: (don't get me started)

my PA made it completely OTT...as if i'm capable of working for NASA can just imagine HR people havin a right snigger at it

Would you work on a building site? And if so do you have a safety pass
    and manual handling course?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

eemmmmm building site??? not to sure

yes i have the safe pass but i never worked in construction before, don't think i made out for it (physically)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

i started back in September

my PA made it completely OTT...as if i'm capable of working for NASA can just imagine HR people havin a right snigger at it

One thing I've found is you have to tailor your CV a bit for each opening. Sending out a blitz as you mentioned doesn't always work. If a firm is looking for specific skills or experience, that needs to jump out on your CV. It takes a bit more time but editing the CV for each application can make a difference.
    Also, getting a name of one of the recruiters is important, then you can follow up with a person instead of a general inbox or a receptionist who just files it away.

Anyway, not saying I'm an expert, but I was recently a Talent Acquisition Manager, so would be happy to take a look over your CV if you want to PM it.

Good luck out there....it isn't easy!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes i have the safe pass but i never worked in construction before, don't think i made out for it (physically)

The worse they can do is sack you. It would be tough work but essentially unskilled(labourer) so you're basically qualified to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How effective do you think your CV is? E.g. are you tailoring it to suit each organisation?
    One thing I've found is you have to tailor your CV a bit for each opening.

I think this is probably the best advice. People appreciate it a lot when they can see a CV has been customised for the position you're applying for with the most relevant info front and centre.

Also since you've sent the same CV to a whole ton of companies and not a single positive response, you've good data to suggest that there's something wrong with your CV. In the absence of posting the CV here for us to critique, experimenting with sending different types of CVs would be a good approach. Or get friends/family members to check it over for major red flags/typos etc. (Bear in mind though that friends and family often give terrible CV advice).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Some good advice in this thread OP. Having seen hundreds of CVs in my time you get to spot the ones full of BS or the ones that show someone to be either over qualified for the job that they are not worth interviewing.

CVs should be customised for the role you are applying for. Try to fill in any employment gaps as best you can. Have a good profile statement at the start of the CV outlining the type of person you are the role you are seeking. That can be fluff but helps give an employer a feel for who you are and what you want.
    Also - go try to meet people. Easy enough to do when applying for jobs in shops etc. It helps the recruiter see who you really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Do you resemble Santa Claus in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd advise you get CV help from someone who works in HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Construction... the physical graft is really gone from that now, you're unlikely to be hodding or mixing with a shovel, tending three brickies.

Even if you were, your body becomes accustomed to it very quickly, and you gain conditioning.

I did it, in the '80's and early '90's. I was a strong fella used to graft anyway, but I hated it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Needs must when you're unskilled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi OP.
    Don’t take this the wrong way and I hope you don’t mind me asking but, are you a member of the traveling community?
    Or do you feel you are been discriminated in any other way, a disability maybe?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Don't give up hope OP.

I had a place ring me yesterday 3 years after initially applying to them.

So clearly when they say they'll keep the cv on file they apparently do.

Advertisement