Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job

Options
  • 11-12-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Honest to god...sending out cv's left right and centre, signed up with recruitment agencies, not being in anyway fussy even warehouse work would do and ......nothing, no replies nothing, even aldi & lidl don't wanna know.

Granted i'm long term unemployed (over 2 years) and in my late 30's..but i thought i'd get at least some sort of response esp this time of year, but ..no, zilch!

am i on the scrapeheap for life? :o

(i'm in the mid-west btw, near Limerick)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just keep looking, if youre open to any kind of job youll definitely get something eventually, it can take a while for places to get back to you as they might keep your CV on hold for a while in case they need any new staff in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but this is xmas! if i can't get a job at the busiest time what chance have i got come the new year???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Retrain?

Retrain?

been there done that x 100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

keep goin frosty - you WILL get one if you keep it up.

have you any training or experience inanything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Approach places in person. Hand your CV in person and have a few lines that you are looking for employment. Ask for a manager. A CV that arrives in the post on spec in most places goes into the shedder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Go back to college or train for something. In the meantime do voluntary work.
    There is so much work out there that it is now difficult to find anyone actually willing to so it.
    Have you thought of self employment? Start a window cleaning/ general maintenance business? ?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is so much work out there that it is now difficult to find anyone actually willing to do it.

really? where do you live?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Approach places in person. Hand your CV in person and have a few lines that you are looking for employment. Ask for a manager. A CV that arrives in the post on spec in most places goes into the shedder.

yep, i've done that, blitz my local business parks and industrial estates.....but zilch! just the usual "we'll keep you in mind"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

If you're in the Limerick region might I suggest selling drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just keep looking, if youre open to any kind of job youll definitely get something eventually, it can take a while for places to get back to you as they might keep your CV on hold for a while in case they need any new staff in the future

It doesn't take 2 years for places to get back to you. There's practically zero unemployment right now.

OP, chances are your CV, cover letters (you are writing cover letters, yes?) or interview technique is not up to standard. Have you spoken to anyone regarding these? Have you had interviews? Have you asked for feedback?

In the mean time, you should look at doing some volunteer work. It'll look better on your CV that you've taken initiate and been active rather than sitting on your arse for two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you had your CV looked at? Maybe it's not as well presented as it could be.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If you're in the Limerick region might I suggest selling drugs.

no,

but i'd like to buy some to cheer me up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

What kind of experience do you have OP ?

Might be easier that way for folks to point you in the right direction, also there is a thread in the Limerick forum for gis us a job that is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Have you had your CV checked over for errors or formatting issues?

Are you adjusting both your CV and cover letter for the jobs you're applying for?

Do you have experience/education? Did you do anything in your two years of unemployment to retrain?

I know lots of people hate them but have a look at services offered by your local intreo centre.

A sibling was unemployed two years and had done further education in that time. Still couldn't find work so asked for help to do a CE scheme for experience in their field of interest. They got in touch with someone who actually gave her a full time job instead in her chosen field.

Pelvis wrote: »
    It doesn't take 2 years for places to get back to you. There's practically zero unemployment right now.

its not 2 years....i've only recently started looking (past 3 months)

i was out of work previous to that for personal reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

frosty123 wrote: »
    no,

but i'd like to buy some to cheer me up :(

The drugs don't work pal, but neither do you so fill your boots I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Would you consider a CE scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't even be that sold on a cover letter. They're fairly 1980s, you're selling yourself to an employer who doesn't need an employee right now. If I have an open role, then the cover letter goes in the bin and I look at the CV. If I don't have any open roles, both go in the bin.

As said above though OP, unemployment is so low right now, that you should try take an honest look at your approach. Your CV might be crap. It might say more about you than you need it to, for example you don't need to put:

- Your age or date of birth
    - Your religion
    - Your nationality
    - Your address (your location is sufficient, if at all)

It also needs to formatted nicely - clear and readable - with no spelling mistakes. If you know you're no good at this and know someone who IS good at this, ask them to look it over. I'll even do it if you want.

Take a look at your personal approach. If you are going around handing out CVs, you need to be clean. If your hair is a mess, you haven't shaven in 3 days and you're wearing a smelly Megadeth t-shirt and knee-high Docs, then forget about it. You don't have to be wearing a suit - a pair of jeans and a well-fitting hoodie is fine, but at least make it look like you showered and looked in a mirror when you got out of bed.

Don't just walk up and say, "I want to leave my CV in for jobs", hand it over to the receptionist and walk away. It's going into a bin. If you can, ask to speak to a member of management, and if they ask why, just be honest and say that you're enquiring as to whether they have any jobs. You may be told to leave your CV there, that's cool. Or that there are no jobs. Or someone might come down to you and have a chat. In any case, you'll get a better idea as to whether you've wasted your time.

Though online is really the main way now, especially for companies with head offices, like Aldi or Lidl. If they have an online application form, even better, because lots of people won't even go to the trouble of filling them out.

Would you consider a CE scheme?

just finished one

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

No help now but for easter lots of jobs available in shannon airport. Sign up to indeed for alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

It sounds like you might be spamming OP.

Is there any area you have previous experience in that you could apply for now? Maybe be a little strategic in your approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SeaFields wrote: »

To be fair, as someone who manages a team and hires new staff every so often, unsolicited CVs probably aren't gonna help the OP.

I'd normally give the spec I want to our recruitment/hr team and let them reach out to agencies, post on job sites, trawl LinkedIn etc. Even if the company doesn't have a hr department, they're just going to go to an agency or upload it to a job site.

Only direct CVs I would review are those referred by existing staff with good performance records themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

common demonstrators in all this is your CV and how you're presenting yourself ( i.e, its not everybody else, the jobs market, limerick or god, its all you).

Get your CV professionally written and learn how to write a cover letter. Find an agency where you can practice professional in-person introductions and mock interviews. Have a linkedin profile that looks impressive. Suspend your dodgy FB account. Buy new clothes. Get a haircut. Treat getting a Job like a full time job. Spend 9-5 five days a week working at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

frosty123 wrote: »
    Honest to god...sending out cv's left right and centre, signed up with recruitment agencies, not being in anyway fussy even warehouse work would do and ......nothing, no replies nothing, even aldi & lidl don't wanna know.

Granted i'm long term unemployed (over 2 years) and in my late 30's..but i thought i'd get at least some sort of response esp this time of year, but ..no, zilch!

am i on the scrapeheap for life? :o

(i'm in the mid-west btw, near Limerick)

What about milking cows? I thought they had a training course and a job if you were suitable for welfare recipients?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Pelvis wrote: »

OP, chances are your CV, cover letters (you are writing cover letters, yes?) or interview technique is not up to standard. Have you spoken to anyone regarding these? Have you had interviews? Have you asked for feedback?

In the mean time, you should look at doing some volunteer work. It'll look better on your CV that you've taken initiate and been active rather than sitting on your arse for two years.

He has taken initiative. He's out looking for work constantly by the sounds of things for starters.

Chin up OP. I can identify and it's extremely frustrating. Just keep plugging away and volunteer if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

He has taken initiative. He's out looking for work constantly by the sounds of things for starters.

Yes, but unfortunately you can't put "constantly looking for work" on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Most companies filled Christmas work months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you should start looking for a job you would want rather than just any job. Employers probably look at your CV and think you're too experienced for stocking shelves or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Become a Barman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So what is all this re-training you've done OP?

Advertisement