Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loss of strength

• 06-12-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I’ve been out of the gym for a good 2 months now and only joined back today. I have to say it was very tiring and I feel like I’ve lots of strength and can’t lift what I used to. Anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I’ve been out of the gym for a good 2 months now and only joined back today. I have to say it was very tiring and I feel like I’ve lots of strength and can’t lift what I used to. Anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this? Thanks.

Was in same situation a few years back but persevered amd was consistent in progression and in a month was back to previous strength levels. Was surprised how quickly regained strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Had a similar experience recently where I was away for a couple of weeks followed by a week off sick.

It can be demoralising and frustrating when you know you can do more, but you just have the bite the bullet and work your way back up. I just dropped down a weight or two on each workout and within a couple of weeks I was back to where I was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It doesn't matter if it's a week of holidays or a month of illness; If you're not in the gym for any extended period of time, you're going to lose strength. You're just going to have to accept that.

It's hardly the end of the world though. If you accept that you're weaker than you were and start from well below where you were two months ago, you could be back to where you were in a matter of weeks. Just be humble about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The strength will return a lot quicker than it took to build it. It's only your first session back...you hardly expected to pick up where you left off.

Just keep training and the strength will return. The changes to the muscle fibres that had been made by training previously won't have been lost, hence the return of previous strength levels can be relatively quick.

How do you 'overcome' it? Keep training.

Advertisement