Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strong winds / Heavy Rain Tues 27 and Storm Diana Weds 28 Nov. 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just heard a newscaster on the radio refer to today as storm Diana. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not tomorrows winds?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Looks quite severe around Limerick and south Clare, would appreciate any recent obs also from south Tipperary or Waterford.

Limerick city here and while it's quite gusty and chucking it down (technical term!) I wouldn't quite go as far as severe. Haven't been out in it yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Worst of it seems to be over in cork city. Wind has died down and rain just suddenly lightened up about 10 minutes ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It was mad windy last night at around 2:30 where I am, woke me up it was so loud. I only moved into my house in the summer so haven't experienced too many storms but I'm in a little cottage where there isn't really much between the bedroom and the roof (ie virtually no insulation and if it wasn't for my ceiling, I could almost touch the roof) and I swear it sounded like my roof was coming off.

I'm down in West Cork, in the Kilmichael area. Just kinda realising just how exposed my little house is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just heard a newscaster on the radio refer to today as storm Diana. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not tomorrows winds?

You are correct, this little number is feeding off the same energy but Diana is just now north of the western Azores and won't be along for 24 hours yet. Perhaps this is Deirdre who was expecting a stage call.

Walking into work an hour ago and my huge and very sturdy umbrella was comically shattered by a gust of wind :rolleyes: can't wait to go back out in it in another hour and a half!

Edit: in Dublin city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some strong gusts but not a consistent strong wind. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Very strong gusts of wind here in Arklow, just arrived into work to find a large sheet missing off the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Windy with light rain in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was expecting worse but its just a typical breezy day here with occassional gusts, rain is not to bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very wet in waterford gusts nothing major highest on waterfordcityweather.com is 68.5 a few mins ago.

Just a heads up there is a crash on the n7 and traffic backed up to Naas

KILDARE/DUBLIN: Gardai are en route to a crash on the N7 inbound reportedly after J5 Athgoe. Traffic is quite heavy on approach from J8 Johnstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not as bad as last week.....so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Analysis at 06Z. Diana is 960 hPa just northwest of the Azores. No wind reports from the two westernmost islands but it must be pretty bad.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112706_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Heavy rain & strong winds battering the house at 5am this morning...quietened down just after 7. Barely a breeze out there now, rain stopped.
    North Clare

Waterford just hit 100.0 km/h @ 08:16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Analysis at 06Z. Diana is 960 hPa just northwest of the Azores. No wind reports from the two westernmost islands but it must be pretty bad.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112706_000.png

Gaoth Laidir, the unusual looking cold front west of the Azores, does that signify a developing cold front or something? The line is not solid so it obviously signifies something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Louth wasn’t in the warning but honestly it’s oretty horrible here. Heavy rain, very windy. The kind of weather where you don’t want to go anywhere at all.

00Z tonight. Diana starting to fill to 964 hPa to our southwest.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112700_024.png

12Z tomorrow. 965 hPa off the Mayo coast, with a strong gradient covering most of the country.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112700_036.png

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Gaoth Laidir, the unusual looking cold front west of the Azores, does that signify a developing cold front or something? The line is not solid so it obviously signifies something.

It shows cold frontogenesis, a developing cold front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Winds have eased a bit and can see sky starting to brighten to the west of me so that’s probably the worst of the rain gone through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

It shows cold frontogenesis, a developing cold front.
    Thought as much - not terribly common thing to see on the fax charts so a good sign of the potential in this storm although she'll be well matured by the time she arrives on our shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Warnings for Diana will be issued later this morning. Trying best not to confuse the two events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Louth wasn’t in the warning but honestly it’s oretty horrible here. Heavy rain, very windy. The kind of weather where you don’t want to go anywhere at all.

That’s mad cause I’m just up the road in Bettystown and it’s not too bad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 57.5kts atm in DunLaoghaire : http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Drumpot wrote: »
    That’s mad cause I’m just up the road in Bettystown and it’s not too bad.

Im in meath to, but not far from Collon and its not bad either

That low thay forms during Thursday needs to be watched. It's so complex that a small shifts will lead to large effects.

Thursday night.
    ukmo_nat_fax_2018112700_072.png]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been outside and the ocean to the north is a maelstrom. Winds picked up again here and horizontal deluges driving in. west mayo offshore island

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 58.3kts now in DunLaoghaire, and, 59kts at Dublin Bay Buoy.

Very windy and wet in Dublin 16.

squall line developing along the waterford coast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I think Moses is South of leixlip. Rain just appears to part and miss us. For now. Few gusts nothing wild yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dublin Port has been closed due to the conditions out there, has a knock on affect on the M50 and surrounding areas as the tunnel has now been closed and traffic pretty much just stopped now on the M50.

squall just hit

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

On a bit of a hill here in county Waterford, very strong gusts and driving rain. Windows taking a belting. Back from school run, fair bit of spot flooding. Feels mild temp-wise. Almighty gusts there now, making me nervous!

crustybla wrote: »
    On a bit of a hill here in county Waterford, very strong gusts and driving rain. Windows taking a belting. Back from school run, fair bit of spot flooding. Feels mild temp-wise. Almighty gusts there now, making me nervous!

Horizontal rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Hurrache wrote: »
    Dublin Port has been closed due to the conditions out there, has a knock on affect on the M50 and surrounding areas as the tunnel has now been closed and traffic pretty much just stopped now on the M50.

Ah ****e what direction is it stopped ? Just finished a night shift and will be on it shortly.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Ah ****e what direction is it stopped ? Just finished a night shift and will be on it shortly.

from aa

Very heavy heading towards the Port this morning due to restrictions.
    Traffic is being metered into the southbound bore of Port Tunnel due to restrictions at the port. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. As a result, traffic is heavy entering the tunnel with delays back to J4 Donabate on the M1.

AQIQK0E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

WTF. An underground tunnel been closed because of winds. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

WTF. An underground tunnel been closed because of winds. :pac:

Port is closed not the port tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

It's positively wild out around Dublin docklands. Walking to work, i saw countless umbrella sudden deaths, esp. around grand canal square and Rosie Hackett bridge. Gusts were really bad, people struggling at times to walk in it. I don't know how people cycle in that weather, mad feckers!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Biblical rain here 20 mins ago but a clearance now and less windy.
    Max gust of 100km/h at my station and 19.6mm of rain since Midnight

www.waterfordweather.com

that was before the one I posted above, its metered at the moment and now "Dublin Traffic: Trucks drivers North of service stations in Lusk are being asked to pull over temporarily due to traffic backlogs. Please await further updates"

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

Mental rain in Dundalk and bins blowing around the road, in the dark, with terrible visibility. Fun times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

highdef wrote: »

It is a developing front - heres a good page for descriptions of the various fronts (bottom of the page) - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/symbols

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mojesius wrote: »
    I don't know how people cycle in that weather, mad feckers!
    The buildings cause the wind to seem more severe. I know we don't have skyscrapers, but skyscraper effect winds are a thing. It wasn't so bad out in the suburbs - I regretted being traffic rather than on the bike this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Trucks queuing up having the knock on effect to traffic as they are having difficulty loading to ships at Dublin Port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's wet and breezy in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Unbelievable rain from Waterford towards Slieverue. Never experienced those driving conditions before! All quiet now again thankfully.

• Advertisement

Bits of blue sky starting to appear here in Waterford, winds died down as well

Advertisement