Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you off for Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Try_harder wrote: »
    Is his bf working over Xmas?

Is he??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

What's your point?

What was yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

22nd - 2nd. But have to go in on the 27th from 9-5 (or more likely, 9 until the phones stop ringing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Don’t work weekends so have the weekend 22nd 23rd off, back in the 24th 8-4, off 25,26 27 back 28 for a few hours then off for the weekend again and back the 2nd. Not too bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

In from this Sunday to Christmas eve, off 25th and 26th then back til new years eve then 10 days holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

off from the 14th :) until the 2nd I had to use my days, I'm still carrying some, but coming home from uk so that shall be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Off 24, 25 & 26.

Happy enough with that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Working 24th and 25th, then off for two days (Weds, Thurs), back in for three (Fri, Sat, Sun) and off for two days again on the Monday and Tuesday so at least have the NYE and New Years Day off.

Civil Service as well BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bunderoon

19th to the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

salonfire wrote: »
    What's your point?

What was yours?
    Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've 9 days off 22nd til 30th, I learned my lesson last year when I was back the day after Stephens day so I made sure to book time off way in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

rob316 wrote: »
    23 gross? Why would you bother

That or the dole and I'm not a non-worker type.
    brookers wrote: »
    Could you go part time. probably work out better for you, when people look back in 100 years, clerical workers in the civil service/hse etc will be the scullery staff of victorian times. The consultants will be dining on fine wines and delicate canapes in front of their roaring fires while you sit there bored out of your tree, counting down the hours to see your family and friends and wondering what train/bus can get you back home.....

Nope, no part time available. It's literally that job that I'm doing or unemployment.
    All aboard the public Service gravy train. Choo Choo! It's infuriating to hear people talk about the public service as of its an easy life, well paid and pointless. In actual fact is often tough slog, poorly paid and necessary work to make the country function.

Enjoy your days off and thanks for the work you do

The actual work is easy but it's so incredibly busy and you're doing the work of 2 or 3 people and still being told it's not enough.

I'm not trying to be a martyr but, unfortunately, I'm not qualified in anything, can't afford college, neither full time nor part time (not just because of money) and jobs for someone like me are becoming harder and harder to find.

I love helping people and I enjoy helping patients and members of the public but some can be absolutely horrific to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Finish on the 15th back on the 4th can't wait, been living in China more then a year so wasn't at home last year and haven't been back since. Last year i had xmas day off but that was it, so really excited to get back home. I'm using the rest of my leave from this year plus some unpaid but more then worth loosing the money over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm a farmer so the concept of days off doesn't really apply! Might be on a 'go slow' for a few days...

Update - actually off from the 24th to the 2nd now. Delighted. I work for the medical card unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Update - actually off from the 24th to the 2nd now. Delighted. I work for the medical card unit

No medical cards for anyone over xmas then! How long is the wait time, 6 months/?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm a farmer so the concept of days off doesn't really apply! Might be on a 'go slow' for a few days...

the EU cheques won't come on 25/26/27 Dec though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

I finish next week on the 20th and I'm not back until January 8th, longest time ever for me...and I can't wait. I love Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

All aboard the public Service gravy train. Choo Choo! It's infuriating to hear people talk about the public service as of its an easy life, well paid and pointless. In actual fact is often tough slog, poorly paid and necessary work to make the country function.

Simple question is it choice or forced?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Simple question is it choice or forced?
    It is a choice like all jobs.......but I think the point the OP was trying to make is it isnt all sweetness and light as a career choice, there are negatives (despite what some people seem to believe) to go with the positives, especially at the lower grades IMO (I started as a CO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Generally id take off as much time as a wanted. But ive run out of holiday days so ive got the 24th off as a personal holiday day, 25th and 26th off as public holiday, half day on the 27th and "working" from home on the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

9 work days, December 21- Jan 7th inclusive in real time...
    I'm gonna lightly broil myself in alcohol ... Then a Dry January ... well Dry January 6 - February 6 to be exact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Physically I'm off from 21st till the 2nd - best part of 2 weeks.:D:D

Psychologically, I've been off since December started and I'm not due back till near the end of January!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

2 weeks and spending one of the weeks in Quebec City and Montreal, looking forward to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Finish up about two Xmas eve, then start again 7pm on the 28th, that's enough tbh. I've two weeks off in January then.

Volunteered for Christmas Eve because it's a lovely buzz that day, means I won't be getting to my parents' until about 8pm though.

Try_harder wrote: »
    No medical cards for anyone over xmas then! How long is the wait time, 6 months/?? :pac:

When idiots don’t fill out the form correctly or provide all necessary supporting documentation yep I have seen people delay their applications that long!

Others that do put all necessary info with the app I’ve seen getting the card in the space of two weeks.

To those dissing the public sector, the country is such a farse we barely have one, the majority of those ‘departments’ like revenue, nmcu, etc are all made up of low paid short term workers in call Centres where the invisible man makes the decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Just the 25th, but if I start to feel hard-done-by, I can always remind myself that barely six months have passed since I was on the dole, desperately seeking a job and becoming suicidal - whereas I now have a secure, fairly well-paid job that I really enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just the 25th, but if I start to feel hard-done-by, I can always remind myself that barely six months have passed since I was on the dole, desperately seeking a job and becoming suicidal - whereas I now have a secure, fairly well-paid job that I really enjoy.

Genuinely happy for you, hope it continues. Have a good Christmas even if it is a short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

May you wear it well. Not working would suck the life out of anyone unless they were incapacitated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Off the 25/26/27/28th, and the 31st/1st/2nd. Not too bad. the only ones I really care about are Christmas day and the two days after.

Until recently I only ever had Christmas Day and Stephens Day off, but never really bothered me....spare a though for retail staff forced to stay later on Christmas Eve, or in pre-dawn on Stephen's day for sales.

Advertisement