Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long have you off for Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Arghus wrote: »
    Probably one, maybe two if I'm beyond lucky.

You've got it made if you get a week or more. You don't know how lucky you are. The fact that a lot of people get two weeks off just is incredible to me.

It's not incredible if it's part of your annual leave that your company forces you to take at Christmas. Himself has to take days off around Christmas like that. But he had some extra days too as with the summer so good, he didn't mind working (outdoors). He will be knee-sliding in through the hall next Friday though, with 2 and a half weeks off ahead of him. Deserves it.
    I teach classes and am stopping on 21st and resuming on 7th. I will be cooking non-stop from 21st to about the 2nd of January for family and visitors, I have an operation on the 3rd and then I am going to go to bed to rest for a few days!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not covered in the poll....forever and a day....out to grass....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Alanhooly wrote: »
    The 12th of December until the 7th of January.

That's because I'm getting married on the 15th though and heading on the ol' honeymoon :)

Felications!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

22nd til 2nd so 11 days not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Half day Christmas Eve and then off until the 2nd January. Can't wait!

• Advertisement

Finishing up on the 20th Dec and not back until the 9th Jan. Going to be great as I love the christmas.
    Would hate to have to take mandatory holidays at this time of year. I want to be off in summer at a time of my choosing where possible good weather long evenings and stuff to do. I’m off the 25th and 26th and it’s more than enough thanks.

No way, I'd choose time of at christmas over the summer anytime, christmas is my favourite time of year and thankfully I always have lots of time off over it as I'd hate working it. It doesn't reduce my time off either as most of christmas time off is additional on top of yearly holiday budget but even if I lost days off I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'll be working on the 24th and 26th-27th at Dublin Airport. Family is celebrating Christmas down in Wicklow. :(

But! I get a week off from the 28th to 3rd of Jan. :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Off St Stephens Day.
    Mint Sauce goes off on St Stephen's Day? Better make sure it's all consumed the day before then....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

3 days, 25th and 26th, and then New Year's Day. I'm a clerical worker in the HSE. Most of the consultants are off for 2 weeks but secretaries aren't allowed take annual leave over Christmas in order to have the time off too. We have to go in on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve even though there is no clinics and no consultants... All this joy for €23,000 a year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arghus wrote: »
    Probably one, maybe two if I'm beyond lucky.

You've got it made if you get a week or more. You don't know how lucky you are. The fact that a lot of people get two weeks off just is incredible to me.

I'm off from the 20th to the 2nd. However our office is shut down from the 23rd to the 2nd so most of that is enforced. I don't mind as I prefer being off for Christmas but some of my colleagues are a bit pissed about being forced to take holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

I don't have to work my Haddington Rd hours, yay for the government. Have to work the 27th, 28th and 31st though, boo for the government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Back to work on the 7th of January. Off since the 14th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I finish Christmas Eve and then off til the next Wednesday :D

8 days off in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 32,246 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't have to work my Haddington Rd hours, yay for the government. Have to work the 27th, 28th and 31st though, boo for the government!
    Have to? Can you not just take them as annual leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Working right through Christmas

Same

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

1 day guaranteed. Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Two weeks, but that's cause I'm going skiing. Finish Christmas Eve, back on the 7th. Would have been back in on the 2nd otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm off 'til January as of yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

21st to 2nd but I run a retail shop too so I won't be totally switched off over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

erica74 wrote: »
    3 days, 25th and 26th, and then New Year's Day. I'm a clerical worker in the HSE. Most of the consultants are off for 2 weeks but secretaries aren't allowed take annual leave over Christmas in order to have the time off too. We have to go in on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve even though there is no clinics and no consultants... All this joy for €23,000 a year:rolleyes:

23 gross? Why would you bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Working a half day on christmas eve and back on the 27th so just 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Finishing up on Friday, back on Wednesday Jan 2nd. Nice break. Am actually on the road at the moment in Amsterdam, arriving back late on Thursday, so I'm gonna work from home on Friday. Means I won't have to set foot in the office again in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

gmisk wrote: »
    Have to? Can you not just take them as annual leave?

Have to, essential service apparently, even though I could take five weeks from Jan 2 if I wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

rob316 wrote: »
    23 gross? Why would you bother

Could you go part time. probably work out better for you, when people look back in 100 years, clerical workers in the civil service/hse etc will be the scullery staff of victorian times. The consultants will be dining on fine wines and delicate canapes in front of their roaring fires while you sit there bored out of your tree, counting down the hours to see your family and friends and wondering what train/bus can get you back home.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

21st Dec till 14th January :) I plan to just relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

erica74 wrote: »

All aboard the public Service gravy train. Choo Choo! It's infuriating to hear people talk about the public service as of its an easy life, well paid and pointless. In actual fact is often tough slog, poorly paid and necessary work to make the country function.

Enjoy your days off and thanks for the work you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

2 weeks. Unpaid though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

17 days off but most of that will be from this year's leave that I have to take before year-end or lose it. Looking forward to a nice long break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

All aboard the public Service gravy train. Choo Choo! It's infuriating to hear people talk about the public service as of its an easy life, well paid and pointless. In actual fact is often tough slog, poorly paid and necessary work to make the country function.

Enjoy your days off and thanks for the work you do

It might be poorly paid, but an admin type job in local private companies would be the same or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

salonfire wrote: »
    It might be poorly paid, but an admin type job in local private companies would be the same or worse.
    What's your point?

Advertisement