Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

A stupid question probably. If you're silver status with AerLingus and take a flight with say Ryanair can u still use say fast track etc? I'm guessing the answer is no
    You've answered your own question...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SB Morer wrote: »
    That doens't look likely. They went from 1:3, to 1:2 to 1.5:1 during the last three periods when they issue vouchers. Now a measly opportunity to win a few economy flights. If we lived in the UK we could get 600 Avios for 250 Tesco Clubcard Points. It's disgraceful really that Irish customers get such a poor rate collecting Avios, especially as we can't avail of any proper Credit Card earnings - besides the super measly BoI/SuperValu deal of 1 point per €10 spent!

There's never been a culture of airline points from non-travel sources with Irish airlines - Ryanair having dropped their loyalty scheme in about 1993 before bringing something different back; Aer Aranns was invite-only and solely based on flight volumes etc.

I think there were a limited number of non-travel ways to earn TAB points but Google 14 years on only finds a few references to travel ways - that have somehow survived those years of site upgrades!

https://www.avis.com/en/business-programs/miles-points-partners/airlines/aer-lingus

It'd be nice if they had a decent range of hotel partners; I have hundreds of thousands of Radisson points - finally got some status back last weekend which is valid until Feb 2020 so they'll only accumulate faster now - which are near worthless on peak with Radisson these days but their conversion to airline points is usually quite decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

L1011 wrote: »
    There's never been a culture of airline points from non-travel sources with Irish airlines - Ryanair having dropped their loyalty scheme in about 1993 before bringing something different back; Aer Aranns was invite-only and solely based on flight volumes etc.
    I think there were a limited number of non-travel ways to earn TAB points but Google 14 years on only finds a few references to travel ways - that have somehow survived those years of site upgrades!

It'd be nice if they had a decent range of hotel partners; I have hundreds of thousands of Radisson points - finally got some status back last weekend which is valid until Feb 2020 so they'll only accumulate faster now - which are near worthless on peak with Radisson these days but their conversion to airline points is usually quite decent.

What really annoys me is the lack of credit card rewards. British Airways have just launched new credit cards in France and Italy. There are a few options but the most basic one offers 8 Avios per €10 spent on general purchases, double Avios on Aer Lingus/BA/Iberia flights, a 10% discount on BA flights, and 6000 Avios for signing up and spending €2,000 on your card. The annual fee of €24 is totally worth that. Or you can pay a larger annual fee and get much better rewards.

Meanwhile in Ireland we have Avantcard that gives you feck all really, or the BOI/Supervalu partnership that give you 1 RealReward point per €10 spent outside SV, which you can now only convert to Avios at a 1:1 rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What really annoys me is the lack of credit card rewards. British Airways have just launched new credit cards in France and Italy. There are a few options but the most basic one offers 8 Avios per €10 spent on general purchases, double Avios on Aer Lingus/BA/Iberia flights, a 10% discount on BA flights, and 6000 Avios for signing up and spending €2,000 on your card. The annual fee of €24 is totally worth that. Or you can pay a larger annual fee and get much better rewards.

Meanwhile in Ireland we have Avantcard that gives you feck all really, or the BOI/Supervalu partnership that give you 1 RealReward point per €10 spent outside SV, which you can now only convert to Avios at a 1:1 rate.

Pisses me off no end. I put about 30k a year through my BOI card and get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Does anyone here happen to new the brand of lip balm/moisturizers that you get in the little kit in Aer Lingus Business Class? I recently flew business class for the first time and have to my wife. She was delighted with herself as apparently they’re very fancy. Was hoping to get a few bits for her for Christmas?

• Advertisement

Does anyone here happen to new the brand of lip balm/moisturizers that you get in the little kit in Aer Lingus Business Class? I recently flew business class for the first time and have to my wife. She was delighted with herself as apparently they’re very fancy. Was hoping to get a few bits for her for Christmas?

They use Voya cosmetics from Sligo as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

They use Voya cosmetics from Sligo as far as I know

That’s the one. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pisses me off no end. I put about 30k a year through my BOI card and get nothing.

Similar - I generally pay for absolutely everything by card except mortgage and some things that insist on DD; including work expenses that can run to a grand a month on top of my own spending in a bad month. 300 RR points a month, woop.

When it was 3x it was just about OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

Has anyone received their 500 bonus Avios from the promotion they had during October on the eStore? It was supposed to be credited by 14 December.

VG31 wrote: »
    Has anyone received their 500 bonus Avios from the promotion they had during October on the eStore? It was supposed to be credited by 14 December.

No sign of it on my account. Mind you I’m still waiting for 500 Avios that was supposed to be credited to my account on 20 October for booking restaurants through The Fork. They have advised that they approved my details and that Aer Lingus simply haven’t bothered crediting them. I’ve contacted AerClub though the Avios webpage contact us facilty three times and they haven’t even bothered to reply to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone here regularly use the Plus fare standby for an earlier flight option? Is it best not to check in online and just approach the desk and ask to be moved? I’m traveling on the 23rs of December which I know will be a mental day for travel, hoping they'll have availability on an earlier flight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The only route this really works on is Dublin LHR, I've lost count the number of times I've been offered an earlier flight on a basic fare solely on status

Going straight to the desk tends to be the simpler approach, if you check in, they have to uncheck you which is a minor hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Locker10a wrote: »
    Does anyone here regularly use the Plus fare standby for an earlier flight option? Is it best not to check in online and just approach the desk and ask to be moved? I’m traveling on the 23rs of December which I know will be a mental day for travel, hoping they'll have availability on an earlier flight

Done this several times for flights to LHR and LGW.

Had always checked in online before hand but never any trouble transferring me to an earlier flight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I used it coming home from Bristol last year, I was already checked in for my flight, but I happened to arrive early enough to catch the previous flight. The check in agent just had to call his supervisor to get approval to open up the seats that were being held for such circumstances

I used it coming home from Bristol last year, I was already checked in for my flight, but I happened to arrive early enough to catch the previous flight. The check in agent just had to call his supervisor to get approval to open up the seats that were being held for such circumstances

I hope there will be seats available during the Xmas travel rush and it will be as easy as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I find that they pro-actively offer you it if it's a busy day and you turn up early (when checking in at the desk that is). The lounge in LHR offers it pro-actively now and again too.

Had always checked in online before hand but never any trouble transferring me to an earlier flight.

This happens without the Plus fare too, on frequent routes only obviously.

LGW asked me pay a (small) difference fee once, which I suspect was pulled out of thin air - as someone had asked in front of me and his ticket class price difference worked out as well over £100 and he was still in earshot! Other times its been FOC; was put on standby for a fully booked flight and got a no-shows seat once.

LHR I've done it multiple times and it has never been a problem. The seat on the plane that's just about to go isn't going to be sold to someone else - my seat on the later flight might sell to someone at a hefty last minute price.

Was proactively offered it in BHX in the past but I don't know if it can be done as easily changing actual operating carrier - there being some mainline jet and some Stobart prop ops there.

L1011 wrote: »
    This happens without the Plus fare too, on frequent routes only obviously.

LGW asked me pay a (small) difference fee once, which I suspect was pulled out of thin air - as someone had asked in front of me and his ticket class price difference worked out as well over £100 and he was still in earshot! Other times its been FOC; was put on standby for a fully booked flight and got a no-shows seat once.

LHR I've done it multiple times and it has never been a problem. The seat on the plane that's just about to go isn't going to be sold to someone else - my seat on the later flight might sell to someone at a hefty last minute price.

Was proactively offered it in BHX in the past but I don't know if it can be done as easily changing actual operating carrier - there being some mainline jet and some Stobart prop ops there.

It’s LGW I’m flying from, the Menzies staff who handle EI there must know me by now I see them so much, so hopefully they’ll let me go standby at the gate even if the flight is full, I suspect it will be as it’s the eve of Xmas eve I’m flying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Use it quite often from CDG. Always check in online in advance, and never any hassle when I look to switch to earlier flight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I usually just ask at the check-in desk or lounge and they'll usually move you if they can, Plus Fare or not.

Edit: just seen it's been answered about 15 times already!

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »

Mine were credited on 17 December

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

yep I always check in online and countless times I've been able to grab the earlier flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

Anyone notice that unless you book a plus fare, they are only giving the minimum tier points regardless of the flight cost?
    So instead of 15 tier points per leg of trip you get 7.5 tier points.
    I've had about 16 flights since August to UK, Spain, and have not got the 15 tier points for any of those flights unless it was a plus booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone notice that unless you book a plus fare, they are only giving the minimum tier points regardless of the flight cost?
    So instead of 15 tier points per leg of trip you get 7.5 tier points.
    I've had about 16 flights since August to UK, Spain, and have not got the 15 tier points for any of those flights unless it was a plus booking.

Were the saver fares all under 75 euro?

Got 15 this week for a regular priced ticket to Dusseldorf

You can always check prior to booking what the fare class is and hence the code

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pedro deNada

No many 150 to 200€

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Cost of ticket includes airport taxes and other charges which are not relevant seeing as the tier credits are based on the fare before tax, and in particular the fare class.

The 4 cheapest fare classes A, Z, W and T get 7.5 credits on a Saver fare, anything above that should get you 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Cost of ticket includes airport taxes and other charges which are not relevant seeing as the tier credits are based on the fare before tax, and in particular the fare class.

The 4 cheapest fare classes A, Z, W and T get 7.5 credits on a Saver fare, anything above that should get you 15.

I get aer lingus regional to the UK mostly. Nothing but 7.5s for me. Assume it's a blanket rule at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Hi - anyone got any experience of getting EI Tier points on an EI ticket that had a UA leg that was delayed into EWR causing me to miss my EI flight to DUB ?

I know the domestic leg wont accrue but as it was an EI ticket and I returned on the UA two hours later would the Tier points still not be possible for the TATL ?

• Advertisement

Yes, the T&C's cover 'original routing credit' where the original itinerary offered a higher tier point accrual than that actually flown.

You need to get onto Aerclub directly
    Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by Aer Lingus onto another carrier for any reason, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Tier Credits, the Member may still claim such Tier Credits. AerClub will endeavour to ensure the Member's AerClub account is credited with the appropriate Tier Credits. It may be necessary for details of the Member's itinerary, including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipts to be sent to AerClub, at Aer Lingus, Dublin Airport, Co Dublin, in order to claim Tier Credits.

Advertisement