Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enjoying the Process of Getting Fit

• 02-12-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm a 25yo male and over the years I've played a lot of rugby and a lot of whitewater kayaking (some competitive racing) in college. Over the last few years I've transitioned somewhat into cycling/swimming and this year I took up a lot of trail running and cycling. I did the Quest Killarney 55km in October in decent time (~100th/530) and did a 10km running race last weekend in 50mins exactly.

With all of the training I've done this year, it has been 99% by myself. When I was training for Quest, I was training 3-4 times a week for 3 months but I can safely say I didn't enjoy a single bit of it. When I do go out training, I have no issue pushing myself, whether that be with our without company. I'll run or cycle up hills until I puke or nearly pass out and in my head, if I don't come home feeling like crap, then the session was a waste of time.

Because of this, I dread every session. If I am in work and I know I'm to go cycling or running in the evening, it'll be on my mind all day. I did the 10k last week with a few friends, all of varying fitness levels. All of them had a great time regardless of what time they got but I hated every minute of it, trying to do my absolute best. I went for a short 6km run today and told myself to take it handy and enjoy it but within 2km I was running at my race pace and kept going like that until the end. I just couldn't bring myself to go slow and as a result, I hated the run. Even if I do go out to do a recovery session, all plans go out the window once I get outside and am in the middle of it. If I'm cycling and I see someone ahead of me up the road, I'll do my absolute best to catch them, just so I know I can.

I love the feeling of being fit. I love being able to hike up a mountain or cycle up a steep hill and not be out of breath. But the way I train makes me hate the process and I dread it. Does anyone have any advice on better ways to enjoy training and put the competitiveness/stubbornness aside sometimes? Joining a club, whether that be cycling or running is definitely on the list of things to do but apart from that, what works/doesn't work for people? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's not uncommon to feel like if you're not emptying the tank, you're not making progress. It's probably very common. I'm not the first one to feel like that and you're not. Especially training on your own.

The input of someone else, be it through being in a club or having a coach, makes you realise that the way to get the most out of every session isn't to empty the tank every time. There comes a point where you're starting to reduce how much you get from each session and that how leaving something in the tank each time means you get a greater return overall.

Physically.

But also mentally. You don't need to be going to the well every time. It's tiring. It's tough.

And mostly it's counter productive.

Just know that going balls to the wall every time will take it's toll at some point and start to reduce what you're getting from subsequent sessions. And will, as you've experienced, make you less and less inclined to want to train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

So as was said above you DO NOT need to go all out every session. This is some modern idea that has crept into the gym world and its destroying people.

What you need is the minimum necessary dose. I wont get too technical with this but if you work your body past what its able to do your body will take function from other systems eg your organs and brain. Which in turn makes you feel terrible and not want to train.

Running and long distance work is a skill and if your training to improve as soon as your form starts to slip so does your performance and so on.

Like you say I think joining a club or getting a coach may really help focus you and help you get training to a level that suits you. If you love doing those things but if your training is that intense all the time it will make it very hard on your body in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So as was said above you DO NOT need to go all out every session. This is some modern idea that has crept into the gym world and its destroying people.

What you need is the minimum necessary dose. I wont get too technical with this but if you work your body past what its able to do your body will take function from other systems eg your organs and brain. Which in turn makes you feel terrible and not want to train.

Running and long distance work is a skill and if your training to improve as soon as your form starts to slip so does your performance and so on.

Like you say I think joining a club or getting a coach may really help focus you and help you get training to a level that suits you. If you love doing those things but if your training is that intense all the time it will make it very hard on your body in the long run.

I think the OP knows he doesn't have to go all out every session but can't help doing it anyway.

I'd +1 joining a club, but for different reasons. It sounds like if you joined a club, you would probably be one of the fittest there. If that ends up being the case, then if you were to join them for any of your planned light runs, you would be obliged to run at their pace as opposed to their own as long as you resist the temptation to treat these runs as a race. You might find doing this boring but boring might be what you need.

Personal anecdote; when I was a runner, I did 90% of my runs by myself without any solid plan. A colleague would occasionally join me for one of my 5/8ks. She was small and not as well trained and as a result, required a slower pace than what I'd usually go for. I found them easy and ended up just running along, talking rubbish. It drove her mad because she was barely able to keep her breath so conversation was always one-way. I enjoyed them because I put in the distance without killing myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely don't think I'm very fit but I'm definitely very stubborn. Joining a club seems like the best way to go to and maybe having some like minded people will help me along too.

Chavways wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely don't think I'm very fit but I'm definitely very stubborn. Joining a club seems like the best way to go to and maybe having some like minded people will help me along too.

If you don't join a club, at least follow a training programme where there are guidelines.

As per Rip's post above, training for a marathon, for example, would require a 'long slow run' most weeks with a guide on the sort of pace you should be doing that in, ie something slow.

If there was something similar for cycling - and there probably is - you would likely find it useful because there is something concrete to stick to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Easy days easy is the thing I struggle with most outside on the bike, and I actually gave up attempting a marathon as I couldn't hack the long slow runs mentally. fwiw for the bike, inside is much more controlled (potentially at least), and more bang for your time buck. TrainerRoad with a turbo (it doesn't have to be smart, it can use speed and cadence sensors) and it has plans you can follow. No zwift temptations to race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

One thing that can really help is to use a heart rate monitor to check your HRV. This can be used to give you a rating of 1-10 which will allow you to decide if you should go all out or ease back. A useful tool but as others have said a club may be very handy to help you with your pacing etc.

All for the above.
    Sounds like you have a highly competitive nature and need to address how to manage it in a healthy way too. Maybe your competitive streak needs a better outlet or to be channelled into a specific time/zone so that it's not kicking into overdrive every training session?

I've had to get a handle on mine in different ways over the years so that I don't turn in to THAT eejit who starts competitive yoga'ing, competitive overworking, screeching off from every red light and other daft crazy endeavours to appease it. I heard someone recently talk about his inner wolf that needs to be managed/handled but let out for a hunt every now and then - it was a good metaphor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

One thing that can really help is to use a heart rate monitor to check your HRV. This can be used to give you a rating of 1-10 which will allow you to decide if you should go all out or ease back. A useful tool but as others have said a club may be very handy to help you with your pacing etc.

Was going to suggest this. Given you know you probably should be taking one or two sessions easier - committing to a slower cycle/run etc. and using a HR monitor to keep yourself in check when you get tempted to speed up could work. Knowing you need to stay at 60-70% or whatever and checking every so often will help remind you that's it's important to have recovery built in to any program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

As per Rip's post above, training for a marathon, for example, would require a 'long slow run' most weeks with a guide on the sort of pace you should be doing that in, ie something slow.

If there was something similar for cycling - and there probably is - you would likely find it useful because there is something concrete to stick to.

Yeah I think I'll try something like that. Finding it hard to get time totrain outdoors on the bike but I have a turbo trainer at home too so I can use that and try and get myself some sort of a program.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Easy days easy is the thing I struggle with most outside on the bike, and I actually gave up attempting a marathon as I couldn't hack the long slow runs mentally. fwiw for the bike, inside is much more controlled (potentially at least), and more bang for your time buck. TrainerRoad with a turbo (it doesn't have to be smart, it can use speed and cadence sensors) and it has plans you can follow. No zwift temptations to race!

Just looked up TrainerRoad. It looks amazing. I have a turbo trainer at home but its fairly basic so not sure what additional kit I'd need to use it properly with TrainerRoad but that looks very helpful.

Thanks. I have a hear rate monitor on my watch but not sure how reliable the readings are from it.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    All for the above.
    Sounds like you have a highly competitive nature and need to address how to manage it in a healthy way too. Maybe your competitive streak needs a better outlet or to be channelled into a specific time/zone so that it's not kicking into overdrive every training session?

I've had to get a handle on mine in different ways over the years so that I don't turn in to THAT eejit who starts competitive yoga'ing, competitive overworking, screeching off from every red light and other daft crazy endeavours to appease it. I heard someone recently talk about his inner wolf that needs to be managed/handled but let out for a hunt every now and then - it was a good metaphor.

The adventure racing has been the one thing that's kept me motivated for a long time because I do enjoy cycling and kayaking, just not running! I loved the day in Killarney and the buzz with loads of other people in the same boat as myself and I definitely want to do that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just looked up TrainerRoad. It looks amazing. I have a turbo trainer at home but its fairly basic so not sure what additional kit I'd need to use it properly with TrainerRoad but that looks very helpful.
    I'm not going to lie - it's better on a smart turbo that controls the resistance - but that's not a necessity. They have a list of supported non-smart/ dumb turbo's with which they'll do virtual power with. https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201828950-Compatible-Trainers

If you turbo is supported, all you'll need is a speed sensor, cadence sensor, and possibly an ant+ dongle depending on your device/ bluetooth.

I did it for a few years with virtual power - I only upgraded to a smart turbo this summer on a whim after a crash (facing into 8-10 weeks with no outdoor rides)! But some good value out there now on smart turbos if you were convinced enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks. I have a hear rate monitor on my watch but not sure how reliable the readings are from it..

Watch based HR monitors are reasonably accurate.
    But they don't measure HRV which is what the previous poster was refering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Chavways, take up Crossfit. I'm a good bit older than you (early 40s) and played rugby up until quiet recently. I tried the running and cycling and just didn't like it.
    Took up Crossfit 6 months ago and the only regret was that I didn't start it earlier. you have no choice but to empty yourself at every session and in terms of fitness it works absolutely everything so you just stronger, leaner and fitter (not just one of the three)
    Only caveat is that learning the moves can be difficult and you really have to leave your ego behind and prepare to be humbled in terms of learning. The people involved though I have found to be really sound and the coaches excellent. I don't quiet get the same buzz as being part of an actual team, but its pretty damn close.

eastie17 wrote: »
    Chavways, take up Crossfit. I'm a good bit older than you (early 40s) and played rugby up until quiet recently. I tried the running and cycling and just didn't like it.
    Took up Crossfit 6 months ago and the only regret was that I didn't start it earlier. you have no choice but to empty yourself at every session and in terms of fitness it works absolutely everything so you just stronger, leaner and fitter (not just one of the three)
    Only caveat is that learning the moves can be difficult and you really have to leave your ego behind and prepare to be humbled in terms of learning. The people involved though I have found to be really sound and the coaches excellent. I don't quiet get the same buzz as being part of an actual team, but its pretty damn close.

OP likes what he's doing. The issue is overdoing it in each and every session.

Advertisement