Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carer's allowance form - GP input

• 08-04-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've given up work to look after my Mum. She's just suffered a stroke - is doing ok - out of the stroke rehab unit and home now. She had issues before with rheumatoid arthritis and "memory" issues and whilst she was in the hospital got to see consultants regarding both. I actually gave up work at the end of January to get a job nearer home (I worked over an hour away) and or go part time. Issues with forgetting to turn off cooker - trouble using hands etc. As it turned out, the stroke happened in the morning and I was there to get her to hospital. Not worth thinking about what may have happened had I been at work...

Speaking with my GP, she said she would support my application for CA - said I absolutely qualified for it and I should definitely apply for it (Mum needs help standing/sitting/walking/washing/dressing/undressing/eating etc. ) Stroke rehab unit says Mum needs to be supervised.

So, the form has been in with the GP for 3 weeks now and after phoning every day, I picked it up on Friday and it wasn't completed by her doctor, but by one of the others that has only ever seen my Mum once.

In the GP part - where they ask all the questions and the GP marks either Normal, Mild, Moderate, Severe, Profound - most of the stuff is marked "Moderate".

Does anyone know what scale these are worked out to?

I just wondered if anyone who has qualified for the CA, has had a form with nothing marked as Severe or Profound?

As every, I appreciate the help/advice.

(as an aside, I don't qualify for Carer's Benefit as I worked in the north - the form states some European countries contributions qualify but last weeks work has to be in Ireland)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I have no experience of the forms, my mum did have a stroke and was quite badly affected for a good while. I'd guess she was about the same as your mum. When you look at your mother's needs, she is actually able to stand, walk, dress, eat etc, but she does need help. Mild for dressing, for example, would probably be just needing reminding or help with buttons or bra straps, that kind of thing. Severe would be someone who could not contribute very much to the process beyond sitting up. So moderate would sound about right. Someone may be able to give you more specific information, but I guess the 'marking' on the form is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

It;s hard, isn't it.

I guess because she's unable to do that stuff on her own, I didn't understand how it could be moderate?

I suppose this is all smoke and mirrors anyways...

Wish me luck with the application...

(I hope your Mum is doing well)

Thank you

So, got a letter today telling me I had to complete a "Habilitual Residence Condition" form.

Is that because I worked in the North? Anyone any ideas? Worth phoning them do you think?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably as well to check, and emphasise that you already moved and will be staying with your mother, presumably they cannot have a situation where your residence is in the north and you are getting a payment here.

My mother passed away very peacefully a couple of years ago, she was just short of 93 years of age. She had ten years of a very fulfilled life after her stroke, even though she was fairly incapacitated. Thanks to my sister's care she got out and about, and in fact went out for lunch twice during the week before she died. I hope your mother will be able to have the same quality of life and that you find your contribution to it worthwhile and satisfying.

Thanks very much. She's doing really well after her stroke - have a wheelchair for her now to get her out and about more. I wish the dementia would p off though...

Googling, I think it is to do with me only working in the North and not having paid any contributions here. I moved here (Eire) from the UK in 2001 to help out my parents (we lost my Dad two years ago, he was in his 80's) I only stopped working to look after Mum. I'll try phoning them on Monday, and if no luck, just write a letter along with the HUGE form and enclose copies of anything (gun licence, driving licence/anything else I can think of) to prove that I've lived here for years.

THanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Hi, do your UK national insurance contributions not count for anything here? I know there is a reciprocal arrangement for the old age pension. Is this not covered by EU regulations? Not wishing to sound bossy, but I would ask in Citizens Advice, just to be sure. If they do count, it could be useful for stuff like Treatment Benefit. Good luck.

I got approved for the benefit last week.

I always had a medical card due to being a "cross border worker" and yes, I due to the reciprocal agreement, does entitle me. (No idea what happens to reciprocal agreements after Brexit...)

I still have to pay national insurance contributions in the UK, as that doesn't cross over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

madmaggie wrote: »
    Hi, do your UK national insurance contributions not count for anything here? I know there is a reciprocal arrangement for the old age pension. Is this not covered by EU regulations? Not wishing to sound bossy, but I would ask in Citizens Advice, just to be sure. If they do count, it could be useful for stuff like Treatment Benefit. Good luck.

National insurance do count but the last contributions must have been in Ireland.

splinter65 wrote: »
    National insurance do count but the last contributions must have been in Ireland.

You're probably right. I've never paid any here as I've only ever worked in the North for the last 20 years since I've been here.

Advertisement