Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Locations

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

Due to the Level 3 restrictions, we ended up finding a nice forested spot on the Slí Dhun na Ghall in the Bluestacks for the weekend. Stunning views and no midges. We might have to leave Ballycroy until the early Spring, unless there's a window in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 knight7

Hello all I live in shankill and was look to go wild camping with my son because of theses restrictions it's hard does anyone know where you can drive to i have a jeep converted with a kitchen and a awning we just want to dive out chill with a camp fire and enjoy this beautiful country of ours 😊 l🇨🇮🇨🇮

• Registered Users Posts: 48 emt16

Look at Donegal Overlanding on FB. Wealth of knowledge there and they have members from all over the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

If you post your spot here, aren't you worried there's going to be other people there?

There's basically going to be other people crammed into every single spot this summer.

I have one secret place out west but it takes a good bit of walking with gear to get there though. Although it's well worth it.

Is anyone heading this weekend? I'm going to chance it if the weather is even remotely passable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You'd be mad to give any advice or locations. "Wild camping" is on the verge of becoming an unwelcome and dirty word in rural and upland Ireland due to a small but very significant group of people who leave fire scars, camping gear, litter etc. behind.

Get a map, do a little research and out you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You'd be mad to give any advice or locations. "Wild camping" is on the verge of becoming an unwelcome and dirty word in rural and upland Ireland due to a small but very significant group of people who leave fire scars, camping gear, litter etc. behind.

Get a map, do a little research and out you go.

It's not small anymore unfortunately, social media has put paid to that. Wicklow is practically a no go zone during the summer months and I can see the slieveblooms being next the way they're going. Far to many lads thinking they can do what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's not small anymore unfortunately, social media has put paid to that. Wicklow is practically a no go zone during the summer months and I can see the slieveblooms being next the way they're going. Far to many lads thinking they can do what they like

I have never seen any place that was "too busy" with wild campers. It's a relatively obscure hobby. Wicklow has always been Dublin's backyard and always attracts the crowds for that reason but I've never tried wild camping there

Dont see many wild camping in West cork or Kerry where I'd usually go. I am worried though that the curtain twitching busy bodies will start complaining to the powers that be and that the kaibosh will come down on it. Most of that seems to be driven by B&B and their ilk owners who begrudge people who spend a weekend away without dropping 80+ quid a night on a musty bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haulie86

Hey there,

Does anyone know of any good locations for Wild Camping in County Dublin. It would be nice if my girlfriend and I can safely park our car somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Haulie86 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Does anyone know of any good locations for Wild Camping in County Dublin. It would be nice if my girlfriend and I can safely park our car somewhere.

http://www.camacvalley.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haulie86

Thank you @iwillhtfu. Although I am looking for wild camping area rather than a camping park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SophiaSwilliams09

oh really nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Hi Folks,

Great thréad with great info, looking to go 'wild' camping this BH weekend (June) and similar to other posts on here looking for a forest spot near water big enough for a 6man tent (big family with young kids)?

Read that Monicknew in the Slieve Blooms is a good spot with a short walk to a secluded grassy river side, has anyone wild camped here and if so what ya think? OK for a young large family or does it be full of 'howya's' with bags of cans?

TIA, Antoine

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

We camped near shelling beach once, drive across the stone beach and up and old dirt track to the ruins of an old house, great views of the see (but only suitable in good weather as it can get very windy)

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VFeqJay4s7MPQPuo6

Advertisement