Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book Recommendations / Resources

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dog Fan wrote: »
    The davinci code anyone?

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system. ;)

I think the thread title says 'good' books. ;)

I read the Davinci Code, but though it very poorly written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've just finished reading Lee Strobel - The Case for Faith, very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I read this last month and was deeply impressed. I of course knew of it from childhood, but always assumed it to be either a children's story or a mawkish Victorian novel. Boy, was I wrong!

If you want solid Christian morality, pretty good theology and biting social comment, this is it. No wonder Lincoln is alleged to have met her with the greeting, "the little woman who made this great war."

I believe that in times of great need, God in His providence stirs up the hearts of men and women to do great things, things beyond their normal abilities. The writing of Uncle Tom's Cabin is, I believe, one of them.

Free on-line:
    http://www.iath.virginia.edu/utc/sitemap.html

Various publishers, but I would avoid edited versions in case they destroy any important component. There was nothing I could think of that could be helpfully omitted:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0899663788/theatlanticmonthA/

Just finished reading Nayan Chanda's Bound Together: How Traders, Preachers, Adventurers and Warriors Shaped Globalization.

The author traces the process of globalization from the 'African Eve' to Columbus to credit cards and the internet. The book is very readable and full of wonderful little snippets of information that, if nothing else, might help you next time you play Trivial Pursuit (eg why we have 'Mocha' and 'Java' coffee, why is coffee called 'coffee', why computers have 'bugs').

The book also identifies modern equivalents for these four forces of globalization. So environmental activists and aid workers are seen as modern day missionaries or preachers.

I would have liked to have seen more exploration of the role of preachers, particularly in regard to the colonisation of the Americas and the scramble for Africa - but I guess you can only squeeze so much into 320 pages.

Overall, a great read. Like much of my reading I picked it up at Hughes & Hughes before catching a flight, thought it looked interesting, and it didn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I just finished an excellent book called "The Fulfillment of All Desire" by Ralph Martin. It's of of many books which deals with the road to perfection (in love of God and neighbour). I also read "Fire Within" by Fr. Thomas Dubay which is similar.

Ralph follows a three phase approach (purgative, illuminative and unitive) and compares this with the Teresian 7 mansion approach. He draws on scripture and the writings of Ss. Bernard of Clairvaux, Teresa of Avila, Terese of Lisieux, John of the Cross and Francis de Sales.

The chapters from the book are as follows:

1. Called to holiness
    2. An overview of the journey.
    3. Awakening and conversion.
    4. The biblical world-view of the saints.
    5. The transformation of thought, desire and action.
    6. The struggle against sin.
    7. The importance of prayer.
    8. Temptation and trials.
    9. A certain stability.
    10. Growing in freedom.
    11. Growing in love.
    12. Growing in prayer.
    13. Help from Heaven.
    14. A deeper purification.
    15. Deep union.
    16. The fruits of union.
    17. There's always more.
    - Final encouragement.

The book is full of quotes from scripture and the writings of the saints. Some great gems in it.

• Advertisement

Darwinism Under the Microscope: How recent scientific evidence points to Divine design by James P. Gills & Tom Woodward

I actually really enjoyed this book. It is an introduction to the theory of Intelligent Design and it whetted my appetite enough for me to order a couple more books on both sides of the debate from Amazon. Some people try to equate ID with Creationism, but this book helped me see that they are two very separate concepts indeed. Anyway, I'll see how I get on with reading Dawkins and Behe. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Some people try to equate ID with Creationism, but this book helped me see that they are two very separate concepts indeed.
    A considerable intellectual feat, I must say. Perhaps you'd like to join us over in the creationism thread briefly, so that we can tease this one out?

BTW, while in KSA last year, I read part of a book on christianity by a Saudi cleric. Quite an enjoyable read, though its contention that protestantism and catholicism were exactly the same made me think that I should perhaps have picked up a book by somebody who didn't have a basic ideological motive to mislead me :)

robindch wrote: »
    made me think that I should perhaps have picked up a book by somebody who didn't have a basic ideological motive to mislead me :)

I don't know. After all, I'm prepared to read Dawkins.

PDN wrote: »
    I'm prepared to read Dawkins.
    Glad to hear it. To balance Dawkins' views on evolution, I would recommend reading Edward O Wilson's magisterial Sociobiology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

A.J.P.Taylor's Origins of the Second World War.

Most enlightening. I think the Product Description put it well:
    Synopsis
    One of the most popular and controversial historians of the twentieth century, who made his subject accessible to millions, A.J.P. Taylor caused a storm of outrage with this scandalous bestseller. Debunking what were accepted truths about the Second World War, he argued provocatively that Hitler did not set out to cause the war as part of an evil master plan, but blundered into it partly by accident, aided by the shortcomings of others. Fiercely attacked for vindicating Hitler, A.J.P. Taylor's stringent re-examination of the events preceding the Nazi invasion of Poland on 1st September 1939 opened up new debate, and is now recognized as a brilliant and classic piece of scholarly research. 'Highly original and penetrating...No one who has digested this enthralling work will ever be able to look at the period again in quite the same way' - "Sunday Telegraph".

See the reviews on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Origins-Second-World-War/dp/014013672X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

On a lighter note - 'Life of Pi' by Y Martel.

Tells the story of a Hindu boy who quite likes Christianity and Islam aswell.
    There's a very funny passage when the the boy, his parents, the local guru, the local priest and the local imam all happen to bump into each other and the boy has a little bit of explaining to do...

Won the Booker Prize aswell, can't remember the year though.

Just read "In God we doubt" by John Humphrys. It was a good read and fairly neutral. He was quite critical of Richard Dawkins and rightly so!

The book helped me to understand the difficulties atheists and agnostics believing in God especially in light of the suffering that goes on in the world.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mmr

Currently reading VIRTUOUS LEADERSHIP, an agenda for personal excellence, by Alexandre Havard.

Halfway through it at the moment. Has given me plenty to think and pray on, especially in relation to work. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 playtara

im not much of a reader but stepping stones is a good book its true story not sure who author is doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DerKomissar

There is only one good book.

The Good Book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

robindch wrote: »
    Glad to hear it. To balance Dawkins' views on evolution, I would recommend reading Edward O Wilson's magisterial Sociobiology.

Evolution is not an argument to be debated. It is fact.

Recent books?
    The God Delusion
    God is not Great
    Letter to a Christian nation
    The End of Faith
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

kelly1 wrote: »
    The book helped me to understand the difficulties atheists and agnostics believing in God especially in light of the suffering that goes on in the world

Atheists do not have any problems believing in a supernatural creator hence the term. Agnostics are just weak-minded atheists.

Zeus Bless!

me wrote:
    Evolution is [...] fact.
    hmm... I take it you didn't click on the link to Sociobiology? :)

FWIW, Dawkins believes that selection operates at the kin level and eschews any other forms of selection. Edward O Wilson (of Sociobiology fame) believes that selection operates at the group level, while another Wilson (David Sloan Wilson), believes that selection operates at the kin, group, meta-group, environmental (etc) levels. DSW's beliefs seem to be the most reasonable to me, but EOW's excellent book is still a useful counterpoint to Dawkins exclusively kin-selectionist views.

Just read "Interview with an Exorcist" by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea.

It's written in a very practical Q&A format with 110 questions such as:-

- Do demons experience time?
    - What do demons do with their time?
    - Why did God put the demons to the test? *
    - What does a demon think about?
    - Do demons know the future?
    - Should we be afaid of the devil?
    - Can a demon cause illness/ read our thoughts?
    - Can we be tempted beyond our strength to resist?
    -Why does God allow temptation?
    - Why is hell eternal?
    - How can we protect ourselves?
    etc, etc...

* I found the answer to this one interesting and compelling:-

The real question is: Why did God not grant all the angels the Beatific Vision from the first moment of their creation? Why did He take the chance that some of them would rebel against Him and become demons? God could have created angelic spirits and immediately given them the grace of the Beatific Vision. This was perfectly possible for His omnipotence, and it would have been perfectly just to do so. But there were some powerful reasons to test the angels before granting them the Beatific Vision.

First, God had to give to each rational being a degree of happiness. Everyone in Heaven sees God, but no one can enjoy Him to an infinite degree; this is impossible for a finite being. Each finite creature enjoys to the fullest degree possible without wanting more. A common analogy used to understand this metaphysical concept is that of a glass: God fills each glass (i.e. the soul) to the rim but each glass is a specific size based on its degree of glory.

God, in His wisdom, decided that each angel would determine its degree of glory for eternity by its response to a divine test. Each angel determined its degree of happiness by the degree of generosity, love, constancy and other virtues it displayed in the test. A spirit can grow in its faith and its generosity towards God before it sees Him. But once admitted to the Beatific Vision, no further growth is possible - there can no longer be growth in faith where there is vision. Above all, the period of testing offered the angels the opportunity to grow in the theological virtues, and some angels would grow more in the virtue of perseverance, others in humility, others in petition etc.

Offering a being the possibility of faith also supposes the risk that in this same being evil may flourish instead of faith. God, by giving free will to the angels and human beings, knew that freedom, once bestowed, could be used for good or evil. Of course, God could have created the Cosmos in any way He liked, without any restrictions or limits. But a saint is not created; one becomes a saint through the action of grace. The gift of freedom allows for a Hitler as well as Blessed Mother Teresa. Once the gift of freedom has been given, consequences - good or evil - flow from every act of the will. In the material cosmos there is no spiritual good; the good of the cosmos is purely physical. Spiritual (or moral) good is qualitatively superior but necessarily requires a free choice. Thus, the appearance or moral evil in no way upset God's plan. The possibility of evil was already part of the divine plan before the creation of thinking beings.

Finally, the most important and powerful reason for God's granting angels the gift of freedom was for them to love. God loves His creation, and He desires to be loved in return. But love requires receptivity - it must be received freely (CCC1828). The same God who can create the cosmos with only an act of His will cannot create that love that is born and proven in the suffering of the faith. The love of God is not created; it must be freely given by a created being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Barnabas

Vernon Johnson's One Lord, One Faith by Ignatius Press. A great read.

• Advertisement

Just finished "The Glories of Divine Grace" by Fr. Matthias Scheeben. An excellent read which really helped me appreciate grace. Some great eye openers in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Glories-Divine-Grace-Exhortation-Sanctifying/dp/0895555093/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224519555&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IAMPHILIP777

The Christ Is Born In You ~ Kim Michaels

If Jesus spoke through a messenger this day.....would you recognise his words?

I have been reading these Teachings, released through the above messenger since 2003 and have not found one word that did not resonate with my own inner truth.
    There are also a huge number of these Teachings on the website Ask Real Jesus .com .
    I know of no clearer messenger or Teachings, though, he (Kim Michaels) is by no means the only one.

~ Philip

The Only way to know Truth, is by INNER recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As far as I can see this books promotes an aberrant form of Christianity. I find that there is just enough of Jesus mentioned on the website to draw one in, but anything beyond a superficial read will reveal that this is just a hotchpotch of Christian beliefs and other religions all lumped in with newageism. If you want to believe this then it's just fine, but it's not Christianity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IAMPHILIP777

Hi Fanny,

I am curious how many minutes you spent investigating the Ask Real Jesus site?

When you say....''it promotes an abherrant form of Christianity'' and ''it's not Christianity'' do you mean that it does not conform to the Catholic church or to any other 'organised religeon'? {all of whom, as far as I can see, have distorted, edited and erased a large amount of Jesus' Teachings through the last 2,000 years} then indeed you are correct.

I mentioned this site because it has the clearest Teachings I have yet found in this life, and therefore I am inspired to share this information, and let each decide for themselves.
    Usually, when I pass on any Spiritual information to another, I ask them/You to do one thing.... ~ investigate for yourself and let Your Heart decide if it resonates truth with you.

The mind 'thinks' but the Heart 'Knows'

Kind Regards

~ Philip

The Only way to know Truth, is by INNER recognition

Moderator's Note:

I would not call it an abherrant form of Christianity. I would not call it Christianity at all. It is a syncretistic new age philosophy which uses Christian terminology in a way that is utterly removed from their biblical or Christian usage.

We tend to moderate this thread fairly loosely, so I let the original post on this slide by - but I have no intention of allowing an ongoing discussion on it to drag this thread off topic.

If IAMPHILIP777 wants to discuss this further then I suggest that they take it to the Spirituality forum where all kinds of religious exotic philosophies are welcomed. This thread is for discussion of Christian books. Off topic posts will be deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭88show

heavenly man.
    forget who by but about a chinese man and his extra ordinary life.
    unbelievable what he endured but how he gave all thanks to God is amazing.

Just picked up "There is a God" by Anthony Flew today.

Judging by the preface by Roy Abraham Varghese, it's going to be an interesting read!

He talks about the rise and fall of Positivism and how Dawkins (and other "new atheists") is still clinging to it for dear life. I'm inclined to agree with his assertion that Dawkins' arguments are dishonest and uncritical and he is dismissive of other's opinions.

There is poignant quote from Bertrand Russell:

"Nothing can penetrate the loneliness of the human heart except the highest intensity of the sort of love the religious teachers have preached".

Reminds me of St. Augustines famous quote:

"Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in thee."

Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

88show wrote: »
    heavenly man.
    forget who by but about a chinese man and his extra ordinary life.
    unbelievable what he endured but how he gave all thanks to God is amazing.

Watchman Nee - amazing Christian and author of God's word.

kelly1 wrote: »
    Just picked up "There is a God" by Anthony Flew today. Judging by the preface by Roy Abraham Varghese, it's going to be an interesting read! [...] I'm inclined to agree with his assertion that Dawkins' arguments are dishonest [...]
    You may find the following article interesting -- it's about how Varghese and Flew collaborated on the book, and how much each contributed, and the conditions under which these contributions were made:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/magazine/04Flew-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

(now, back to your scheduled programs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It seems that Flew switched sides of his own volition, whether he really understood this book is an entirely different matter.

Advertisement