Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recommendations / Resources

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I read Seth Barnes blog pretty much every day.
    http://www.sethbarnes.com/

Well worth the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

http://www.marshillchurch.org/

Excellent and challenging sermons here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

"The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns

This is a powerful challenge to the way in which Christians have been seduced by the prevailing cultural attitudes in the west towards materialism and consumerism.

Stearns was the CEO of a luxury goods company (Lenox Tableware) who got 'headhunted' to become the President of the charity World Vision.

At first I found it difficult to get into the book because he was describing his struggle and sacrifice leave his high-powered position at Lenox and accept the World Vision post. I guess I found it hard to sympathise since, as President of World Vision, he probably still earns more than me or anyone else on this board. :)

But the book is worth sticking with as Stearns reminds us of some challenging Scriptures that we all tend to ignore, and he graphically describes the widening gap between rich and poor in the world today.

It also included the most powerful illustration on reconciliation and forgiveness I have ever encountered - a Ugandan woman who met face-to-face and forgave one of the men who gang-raped her and cut off her face. I actually had to put down my Kindle at that point and, even though I was in a crowded airport, wipe the tears from my eyes!

Not an easy read - but well worth the purchase price and the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

"A Christmas Mystery" by Jostein Gaarder of Sophie's World fame. Great little book, very simple, easy to read. It seems like a kids book but was a great way of passing some time, and includes a history of the spread of Christianity through Europe woven through it's 'mystery' story. Read it in a few hours, but it was a charming read.

PDN wrote: »
    "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns

This is a powerful challenge to the way in which Christians have been seduced by the prevailing cultural attitudes in the west towards materialism and consumerism.

Stearns was the CEO of a luxury goods company (Lenox Tableware) who got 'headhunted' to become the President of the charity World Vision.

At first I found it difficult to get into the book because he was describing his struggle and sacrifice leave his high-powered position at Lenox and accept the World Vision post. I guess I found it hard to sympathise since, as President of World Vision, he probably still earns more than me or anyone else on this board. :)

But the book is worth sticking with as Stearns reminds us of some challenging Scriptures that we all tend to ignore, and he graphically describes the widening gap between rich and poor in the world today.

It also included the most powerful illustration on reconciliation and forgiveness I have ever encountered - a Ugandan woman who met face-to-face and forgave one of the men who gang-raped her and cut off her face. I actually had to put down my Kindle at that point and, even though I was in a crowded airport, wipe the tears from my eyes!

Not an easy read - but well worth the purchase price and the time!

Hey, I got to meet the author this afternoon! :)

• Advertisement

I recently read Alister McGrath's "The Twilight of Atheism". He charts the rise of atheism sparked by widespread disillusionment in Europe following the religious wars of the 15th and 16th Centuries. Then he examines the heydey of atheism - during the mid-Twentieth Century when up to a third of the world's population lived under officially atheist regimes. Then he explores the resurgence of religious belief and spirituality in the last 25 years or so Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I recently read Alister McGrath's "The Twilight of Atheism". He charts the rise of atheism sparked by widespread disillusionment in Europe following the religious wars of the 15th and 16th Centuries. Then he examines the heydey of atheism - during the mid-Twentieth Century when up to a third of the world's population lived under officially atheist regimes. Then he explores the resurgence of religious belief and spirituality in the last 25 years or so Good stuff!

It was a good book. But I can't help think his central premise is demonstrably wrong. I'm not so sure it is the twilight of atheism. Though perhaps I'm under the false impression that until Dawkins and co started sabre-rattling the world was a more religious place.

It was a good book. But I can't help think his central premise is demonstrably wrong. I'm not so sure it is the twilight of atheism. Though perhaps I'm under the false impression that until Dawkins and co started sabre-rattling the world was a more religious place.

I guess it depends how you measure it. There were almost certainly more professing atheists, at least on a worldwide basis, during the Cold War era than there are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I guess it depends how you measure it. There were almost certainly more professing atheists, at least on a worldwide basis, during the Cold War era than there are now.

Good point. I would have been thinking that there are probably more people freely professing to be atheists nowadays. Of course, like their theistic counterparts, this isn't to say that there is necessarily any great effort of thought behind such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I have mentioned this guy a few times in threads. I could not recommend him enough.

http://www.askdrbrown.org/

That sight links to the many facets of his ministry. He'll also deal with any questions you mail him on his 'line of fire' radio show.

I've seen his debates on Youtube too. A wonderfully engaging and humble guy, who I have much respect for.

He's a messianic Jew, and his insight into Judaism is second to none. he has authored many books, including a commentary on the book of Jeremiah. He is a Scholar in Ancient Hebrew and Greek. He is currently working on a Commentary on the book of Job. That is a book I wanna read!

I hope you check it out and find it as enlightening as I did/do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

I think this one is good for kids (and adults with young hearts like you and me biggrin.gif ):

http://www.thebricktestament.com/index.html

(Mostly) Catholic resources

Catholic Answers
    Includes:
    - resources on faith (including magazine "This Rock", worth a look in itself)
    - forums (including a section for non-Catholics)
    - a now public-domain Catholic Encyclopaedia
    - chastity resources.

New Advent
    Includes:
    - again, a public-domain version of the Catholic Encyclopaedia
    - Summa Theologica
    - various writings of the Church Fathers
    - other Church documents including:
    - liturgies
    - councils
    - Apocrypha (take caution if intending to read; it might be best to consult a faithful priest or spiritual director on this)
    - miscellaneous old Church documents
    - the Holy Bible! (plus articles on the Bible from Catholic Encyclopaedia)
    - a Catholic library, including:
    - a PDF file on how to recite the Holy Rosary, which can be copied and distributed freely
    - a host of useful weblinks
    - articles on the Seven Sacraments
    - 'Capsule summaries of each of the ecumenical councils of the Catholic Church'
    - notable Church documents, in terms of doctrine (e.g., Humanae Vitae) and European/world history (e.g., Mit Brennender Sorge, Saepe Nos [On Boycotting in Ireland], Sublimus Dei [On Slavery in the New World])

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Excellent priest, his speeches are amazing.

www.fathercorapi.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I finished reading D.A Carson's "The God Who Is There", an excellent overview of the Bible which could be read equally by people who have a good working knowledge of the Bible to people who are just about to read it for the first time. There are MP3's dealing with the topics in the book on the Gospel Coalition site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Exellent Journal - Spiritual Food For Thought!!

Mark Mallet

I recently read "The Naked Anabaptist" by Stuart Murray. It explores the principles of anabaptism and why many are turning to them in the 21st Century. Excellent and thought-provoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I'm currently reading Christ: A Crisis In The Life Of God by Jack Miles.

I'm really enjoying it. It is very thought provoking and makes me look at the story of Christ in new and different ways. Has anyone else read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

By Favourite book is "Death, Where is your victory?" by Henri Daniel-Rops.

Mort, où est ta victoire ? (1934)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I recently bought this one, which was highly recommended - I haven't started reading it yet as I am current finishing another book! :)

The Fulfillment of All Desire.

A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulfillment-All-Desire-Guidebook-Journey/dp/1931018367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313238606&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I recently bought this one, which was highly recommended - I haven't started reading it yet as I am current finishing another book! :)

The Fulfillment of All Desire.

A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulfillment-All-Desire-Guidebook-Journey/dp/1931018367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313238606&sr=1-1
    That's a great book. I intend to read it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plainone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I recently read a rather unusual book by the American Episcopalian theologian Marcus Borg, Putting Away Childish Things: A Novel of Modern Faith (New York: HarperOne, 2010. ISBN 978-0-06-188816-8). Borg's intention in writing a novel rather than another theological treatise was to provide a different way to frame ideas and debates that he considers are important for the modern practice of Christianity, particularly in a society that has become increasingly polarised between fundamentalists and atheists.

The novel's principal character is Kate, an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in a small liberal arts college in the American Mid-West. Kate is a practising Christian, but this is a difficult position to be in when teaching in an avowedly secular college. Kate comes under criticism from different sides - parents who believe that their children are being indoctrinated, and fundamentalists who believe that Kate denies what they see as core Christian beliefs.

Along the way, Borg provides a potted narrative of how Christianity reacted to the Enlightenment and the rise of natural science. The novel discusses how far the Bible provides solid evidence for the life and teachings of Jesus, andd the extent to which different interpretations of the words of scripture are possible, or even necessary. A particularly helpful discussion centres around the changing meanings of the word "believe". Borg argues that "propositional belief" - belief in statements that X is or is not the case - is a relatively recent aspect of belief, and he suggests that, before the 17th century or thereabouts, belief was more a matter of trust and love. So a credal statement such as "I believe in one God" shouldn't be regarded as an empirical claim that God exists and that there is exactly one God, rather a declaration of trust and love in that one God.

Much of what Borg states could be debated, but using the form of the novel allows him to present debates by putting different views in the mouths of his characters. At the end of the book, Kate's own faith comes under challenge as she has to decide whether or not to trust that an invitation to take up a new academic position is part of God's long-term plan for her - this is one of several situations where Borg shows that Christianity isn't just about what one believes, but also about how one lives one's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

A few weeks back I read Mere Christianity. Certainly a good read for anyone new to Christianity. Theologically, it's a bit light weight but he makes very good use of metaphors. I enjoyed the latter chapters most especially where he talks about how Christ wishes to transform us totally and make us "perfect". Great read.

Just finished Stan Duncan's book "The Greatest Story Oversold: Understanding Economic Globalization". A searing indictment of how the IMF, World Bank and Western nations combine to exploit the world's poorest people.

I recently read Julius Koestlin's "Life of Luther" (free as an e-book from Amazon).

What is really noticeable to a modern reader is how bitter people were in those days against anyone with whom they disagreed. Luther's enemies tried to kill him, and he certainly didn't believe in turning the other cheek.

At the same time as he was penning his rant against the Jews, Luther wrote a hymn that went:
    "Lord shield us with Thy Word, our hope,
    And smite the Moslem and the Pope"!

The book demonstrated to me how God has deigned to use some really flawed personalities over the years.

Recently bought God's Century - Resurgent Religion and Global Politics. Would be interested if anyone else has any recommendations on books similar to the above.

Also Eric Kaufmann's Shall The Religious Inherit The Earth? - Demography and Politics in the 21st Century is really interesting. If you don't get the book, you can still read this paper which contains his research and conclusions.

Have ordered a couple of Philip Jenkins books recommended earlier in this thread by PDN. Christmas present for myself.

marty1985 wrote: »
    Recently bought God's Century - Resurgent Religion and Global Politics. Would be interested if anyone else has any recommendations on books similar to the above.

A book exploring similar themes would be "God is Back" by John Micklethwaite and Adrian Woolridge. If I remember the details correctly, one of them is an atheist and the other is a Christian. They looked back at a past editorial in their magazine (the Economist) which had predicted the death of religion. They wrote this as a bit of an apology to say that not only is religious belief prospering in modern society - but that can also be considered as a good thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Back-Global-Faith-Changing/dp/0713999020

Yes, actually God Is Back is one of the books that got me started. It's a great read, balanced and very eye opening.

I think I'm more interested in religion books relating to history and politics at the moment, and less interested in the polemics of the recent God debates, although Terry Eagleton's contribution was pretty entertaining.

Just finished 'The Maiden Tribute' by Charles Terrot.

A non-fiction account of a Victorian political scandal that, for some reason, seems to have been largely forgotten. The book was written in 1959 and is rather dated in style, but would make an incredible TV mini-series. You have a crusading newspaper editor, corrupt police, governmental indifference, institutionalised child abuse, people trafficking, a court room drama, and the good guys get sent to prison.

The characters include lecherous MPs, pimps and madams, the General of the Salvation Army, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Cardinal Manning and George Bernard Shaw. It details how a major trade in trafficking children overseas as sex workers was halted, the age of consent in the UK was raised from 13 to 16, and even ends up involving the sinking of the Titanic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

This title is out of print. Perhaps you could make a quick audio file of it and I'll give it a disinterested ear in the car?

Actually you directed me to this article which is quite good.
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/7023/Consent.html

Do you think Stead was set up in his case? I'm just working on a few things and don't really have the time to read further.

Perhaps postpone the audio version for a week. Btw, your review now seems to be the first and only one on the interweb.

Edit:
    Wow, upon further reading is it fair to say that this 13 year old Eliza is the inspiration for Eliza Doolittle?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thomas_Stead
    That is interesting!

Advertisement