Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put on Wage Subsidy Scheme - Will this affect mortgage application?

• 21-05-2020 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Employer has notified they have gotten the COVID-19 wage subsidy scheme last month.

My wages haven't changed but was hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next 3 months and was wondering if this would affect my mortgage application/amount in any way?... if anyone knows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Banks are being more cautious and some are not allowing anyone receiving any of the Covid payments to drawdown. I don't know if they will stop people applying (time between applying and actual drawdown is so long, by then chances are Covid subsidy will be finished), but they are all over it at the moment.

In our case, we can't drawdown now, just as we were about to, because I am getting the Covid top-up (still on same take-home wage).
    It's all a bit of a mess at the moment!

I'd suggest chatting to a broker, they should have an idea on which banks are going ahead, as I think some still are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To claim the subsidy your employer has to declare that they are insolvent. Any bank loaning money, espically a mortgage, to someone working in an insolvent company is not doing it's job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Del2005 wrote: »
    To claim the subsidy your employer has to declare that they are insolvent. Any bank loaning money, espically a mortgage, to someone working in an insolvent company is not doing it's job properly.

This is not true. They have to declare a percentage drop in revenue.

Del2005 wrote: »

What? That is totally ill informed.

The wage subsidy is designed to keep people in employment and is open to any business which has suffered a 25% decline in income/orders as a result of the pandemic.

From Government website:

“The Minister pointed to Revenue’s further guidance on the Scheme published yesterday which stated that the declaration by the employer is not a declaration of insolvency and that an employer that has been hit by a significant decline in business but has strong cash reserves will still qualify for the Scheme. Revenue have also said that they will continue to review and update guidelines as appropriate.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hi All,

Employer has notified they have gotten the COVID-19 wage subsidy scheme last month.

My wages haven't changed but was hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next 3 months and was wondering if this would affect my mortgage application/amount in any way?... if anyone knows?

Theres evrry likelihood the Covid payment will be reduced. I would say that the banks will not give out mortgages in these uncertain times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dav010 wrote: »
    What? That is totally ill informed.

The wage subsidy is designed to keep people in employment and is open to any business which has suffered a 25% decline in income/orders as a result of the pandemic.

From Government website:

“The Minister pointed to Revenue’s further guidance on the Scheme published yesterday which stated that the declaration by the employer is not a declaration of insolvency and that an employer that has been hit by a significant decline in business but has strong cash reserves will still qualify for the Scheme. Revenue have also said that they will continue to review and update guidelines as appropriate.”

Still a risk for banks to lend when we don't know what the outcome* of the pandemic shut down will be.

*how big is the recession/depression will be and how long it'll last (not helped by Brexit in a few months)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I am on this also, and will be looking at a mortgage towards the end of the year..
    Whats supposed to happen come June 21st when its meant to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

Son of a b***h. I have gone sale agreed on a property. My employer is availing of the wage subsidy scheme. I have approval in principle from SDCC. Rebuilding Ireland HomeLoan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I was AIP approved with BOI and Ulster Bank. We were both moved to subsidy payment and told we would not be able to move to loan offer until we are off the subsidy payment. They require a month’s payslips showing we are off the payment. If you did get a loan offer pre COVID and now on subsidy seems to be mostly be same if you request funds but that’s a bit more on a case by case basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Ye wont get it, full stop. Happened to me a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Ye wont get it, full stop. Happened to me a few days ago.

Hello,

What happened to you a few days ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

It's obvious what's happening on a macro level. Banks don't know what anyone's income is. With the likely hood of future shutdowns due to covid likely half the credit is going to evaporate from the market and prices are going to crash 30% over the next 2-3 years. We're also at the end of an economic cycle and so everything is due for correction. In recessionary times with no credit unless your flush wherever you are is where you are. This looks like one of the greatest recessions in economic history. Corona is going no where and is only 10% established in an affected area of New York. With people unwilling to accept catching it and no sign of accepting it the economy is going to crash and burn over the next few years until it is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The employers will take advantage of covid subsidy as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

I'm also in the same predicament with the mortgage and wage subsidy issue...I see the wage subsidy is now changing to the employment support scheme, only explanation I could find is: "It will change from an income replacement measure to a payroll subsidy support". Can anyone hazard a guess what this will mean for people on the scheme going forward in terms of payslips and mortgages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭DubCount

I'm also in the same predicament with the mortgage and wage subsidy issue...I see the wage subsidy is now changing to the employment support scheme, only explanation I could find is: "It will change from an income replacement measure to a payroll subsidy support". Can anyone hazard a guess what this will mean for people on the scheme going forward in terms of payslips and mortgages?

I cant see it making any difference. There may be changes to the level of government subsidy but I don't expect a change in the mechanics of the scheme. If the banks don't want a line called "covid subsidy" on your payslip, its not going to matter whether its TWSS or EWSS. The only route to change things is to have political pressure change the banks policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

DubCount wrote: »
    I cant see it making any difference. There may be changes to the level of government subsidy but I don't expect a change in the mechanics of the scheme. If the banks don't want a line called "covid subsidy" on your payslip, its not going to matter whether its TWSS or EWSS. The only route to change things is to have political pressure change the banks policy.
    So you want the politicians to force the banks to lend money to people who may not have a job to earn wages to pay it back.
    2008 anybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Friend of Mine and her boyf have mortgage approved he was on wage subsidy scheme still getting full wage like every other week but employer had to claim it. They went to draw down mortgage to start build and wasnt allowed as he was on the scheme. Told them come back when he is 3 months clear of the payment. She couldnt believe it nor could he. I think its crazy as he was still getting his full wage.

revoke12 wrote: »
    Friend of Mine and her boyf have mortgage approved he was on wage subsidy scheme still getting full wage like every other week but employer had to claim it. They went to draw down mortgage to start build and wasnt allowed as he was on the scheme. Told them come back when he is 3 months clear of the payment. She couldnt believe it nor could he. I think its crazy as he was still getting his full wage.

he was still getting his full wage because the state was paying him the portion of his wages his employer could not afford to pay due to a loss of revenue.
    When the state stops paying their portion of his wages his employer may not be in a position to make up the difference.
    By applying for the payment his employer has admitted he is in financial difficulty regarding the business
    If your friends employment is insecure then the bank is only being prudent in not allowing him to draw down a mortgage

brisan wrote: »
    By applying for the payment his employer has admitted he is in financial difficulty regarding the business

This is absolutely incorrect.

The only requirement to claim wage subsidy is that income/orders have reduced by 30% due to Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

The only requirement to claim wage subsidy is that income/orders have reduced by 30% due to Covid.

And if income and/or orders are down (at least) 30% the business is facing some challenges

So if your orders/income are down by 30% then the business is not in difficulty .
    Fair enough I must be in the wrong business

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Cannot understand how people are still surprised by this. So an employer declares a negative impact to their business that results in them being unable to pay wages without government assistance. Would you lend a six figure sum of your money to an employee of such a business?

Reversal wrote: »
    Cannot understand how people are still surprised by this. So an employer declares a negative impact to their business that results in them being unable to pay wages without government assistance. Would you lend a six figure sum of your money to an employee of such a business?

I am baffled as to how people do not get this
    i know its inconvenient but if I though my job was in trouble I would be looking for a safer job and putting the mortgage on hold.
    We criticized the banks for over lending in the run up to the crash and now we are criticizing them for not over lending
    The CB rules are there to protect the Banks , the Borrowers and the taxpayer

Jizique wrote: »
    And if income and/or orders are down (at least) 30% the business is facing some challenges

Very true, but that does not automatically imply they “are in difficulty”. Considering most businesses were closed for almost a quarter of the year, it is no surprise orders/income would be down by a similar percentage.

So if your orders/income are down by 30% then the business is not in difficulty .
    Fair enough I must be in the wrong business

Trading conditions may be difficult as a result of Covid, that is not the same as saying a business is in difficulty. Applying for the wage subsidy was not dependent on capitalisation. It is wrong for you to allege that just because a business is entitled to apply for the wage subsidy, automatically it must be in difficulty and employees should not be allowed credit from banks.

Trading conditions may be difficult as a result of Covid, that is not the same as saying a business is in difficulty. Applying for the wage subsidy was not dependent on capitalisation. It is wrong for you to allege that just because a business is entitled to apply for the wage subsidy, automatically it must be in difficulty and employees should not be allowed credit from banks.
    Well the banks have a different opinion than you do and its "Their " money to lend.
    Every leading expert and even the Government has said that some businesses will not survive.
    If you are applying for TWSS your business is more likely to be one of those than a business that does not need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Down the line some banks surely might have to take a more nuanced view on the subsidy, especially with an extension in some form well into 2021.

For example, today the IT reported how the childcare sector will be given a sector wide exemption to remain on the subsidy. Now when it comes to state funded childcare, it’s a case of they were being funded by Tulsa, Department of Children etc, and are now being funded by Revenue essentially. Moving of deckchairs etc. Quite harsh that this essentially bars you from any loan.

Well the banks have a different opinion than you do and its "Their " money to lend.
    Every leading expert and even the Government has said that some businesses will not survive.
    If you are applying for TWSS your business is more likely to be one of those than a business that does not need it.

The experts are right, some may not survive, you on the other hand are wrong to conclude that any business that applies for the subsidy is in difficulty. There are many employees receiving the wage subsidy who work for businesses who are not in difficulty and though income is down, are at no risk of closing.

The Government were very clear that applying for the wage subsidy did not indicate insolvency or the potential to be so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭DubCount

So you want the politicians to force the banks to lend money to people who may not have a job to earn wages to pay it back.
    2008 anybody

No. I want people who are in employment and still receiving the same net pay as they always did to be allowed draw down a mortgage. Unless you are a civil servant, anyone can work for a company that can run into difficulty and be let go. This does not mean that such a person will not be able to find another job or continue to repay a mortgage. Besides, there is a 10% deposit at minimum, so the bank would need a default and a reduction in the property value by 10% or more to have a problem. This is not 2007 with 100% mortgages and no stress testing of ability to repay.

p.s. I'm not drawing down a mortgage myself, so this only reflects what I believe is fair, not what suits me.

The experts are right, some may not survive, you on the other hand are wrong to conclude that any business that applies for the subsidy is in difficulty. There are many employees receiving the wage subsidy who work for businesses who are not in difficulty and though income is down, are at no risk of closing.

The Government were very clear that applying for the wage subsidy did not indicate insolvency or the potential to be so.

i never said they were insolvent or would close down
    I said they were in financial difficulty and by asking the Government for handouts they have admitted this.
    If the Government stops the TWSS what will the company do
    Lay off all its employees and close
    Lay off some employees and try to carry on
    Most will try option 2 and the banks know this.
    The subsidies will stop eventually and unfortunately people will lose their jobs.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Down the line some banks surely might have to take a more nuanced view on the subsidy, especially with an extension in some form well into 2021.

For example, today the IT reported how the childcare sector will be given a sector wide exemption to remain on the subsidy. Now when it comes to state funded childcare, it’s a case of they were being funded by Tulsa, Department of Children etc, and are now being funded by Revenue essentially. Moving of deckchairs etc. Quite harsh that this essentially bars you from any loan.

Exactly, if the new scheme shows up on payslips until april/may 2021 and then you need 3 months payslips without it on it, that's a very long time for some people to wait

DubCount wrote: »
    No. I want people who are in employment and still receiving the same net pay as they always did to be allowed draw down a mortgage. Unless you are a civil servant, anyone can work for a company that can run into difficulty and be let go. This does not mean that such a person will not be able to find another job or continue to repay a mortgage. Besides, there is a 10% deposit at minimum, so the bank would need a default and a reduction in the property value by 10% or more to have a problem. This is not 2007 with 100% mortgages and no stress testing of ability to repay.

p.s. I'm not drawing down a mortgage myself, so this only reflects what I believe is fair, not what suits me.

Until this pandemic settles no one knows the economic outcome.
    Even if a vaccine is found soon and in two years there is herd immunity there will still be economic scarring from this recession .
    The banks know this and are being cautious
    People on TWSS are still receiving their full net pay correct,but their employer has stated that he cannot afford to pay the full amount and the banks are taking note of this

Exactly, if the new scheme shows up on payslips until april/may 2021 and then you need 3 months payslips without it on it, that's a very long time for some people to wait

Personally I cannot see the Government forcing the CB or the banks to change their rules regarding lending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Personally I cannot see the Government forcing the CB or the banks to change their rules regarding lending

All they have to do is take the subsidy off the payslip in most cases?

State owned banks AIB, PTSB should be doing what we tell them anyway, cheeky gits

• Advertisement

Read that the scheme was getting a "major revamp" and that it would move to a payroll subsidy support...but sounds like everyone here thinks it will be more or less the same as the TWSS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

i never said they were insolvent or would close down
    I said they were in financial difficulty and by asking the Government for handouts they have admitted this.
    If the Government stops the TWSS what will the company do
    Lay off all its employees and close
    Lay off some employees and try to carry on
    Most will try option 2 and the banks know this.
    The subsidies will stop eventually and unfortunately people will lose their jobs.

Firstly, I think this is a really unfortunate situation for people to be in and I have endless sympathy for people who are experiencing this. But I see where the banks are coming from. We are on the cusp of a big recession and all the ingredients are in place.

End of the day, to an underwriter, a person who's employment is currently being subsidised by the government is a red flag. The company may not be going under but has had enough of a loss to make the cut for the scheme - and in many cases they are going on the scheme as the loss equates to potentially having to lay off a number of staff rather than closing the business. With the scheme, they don't have to lay off the staff and jobs are kept, although subsidised.

It's better for the majority of staff to get to keep their job during this time but the effect on the potential buyer is definitely upsetting. Underwriters don't care if you're upset however; they only care about risk calculations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Jizique wrote: »

On an annual basis most businesses would be down 30% . Lets say your were shut for 3 months thats 25% there, and another 5% in the remaining time is no big deal. The thing is if the wage bill is paid by the state largely which it was then your overheads may or may not be much. It depends on what other fixed overheads you have other than labour. Some business owners are just looking at this as a holiday, sure some are badly affected and will be. It all depends on the sector that your in.

Read that the scheme was getting a "major revamp" and that it would move to a payroll subsidy support...but sounds like everyone here thinks it will be more or less the same as the TWSS?

No matter what name they call it the banks will want to ensure that if you are applying for a mortgage that your employer is not getting the subsidy/support/assist

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

Out of interest can an employer remove one employee from the scheme? or does a company need to avail of the scheme for all staff?

• Advertisement

he was still getting his full wage because the state was paying him the portion of his wages his employer could not afford to pay due to a loss of revenue.
    When the state stops paying their portion of his wages his employer may not be in a position to make up the difference.
    If your friends employment is insecure then the bank is only being prudent in not allowing him to draw down a mortgage

You can’t state this as fact across the board. I only know one or two people on the scheme and at least one of them still has a very secure job their employer just went on the scheme as it’s saving them money and you can be damn sure this is the case in many other jobs. This is not a normal recession, in most cases all the work that was there for business is still there once things start to get back to normal. Which would happen a lot faster if people stayed at home.

It’s a disgrace that the backs are messing up people’s lives like this denying them mortgages at the last minute etc when they can clearly afford them.

You can’t state this as fact across the board. I only know one or two people on the scheme and at least one of them still has a very secure job their employer just went on the scheme as it’s saving them money and you can be damn sure this is the case in many other jobs. This is not a normal recession, in most cases all the work that was there for business is still there once things start to get back to normal. Which would happen a lot faster if people stayed at home.

It’s a disgrace that the backs are messing up people’s lives like this denying them mortgages at the last minute etc when they can clearly afford them.

As someone else stated earlier in the thread the employer has to show at least a 30% drop in business to qualify for TWSS
    Therefore the employer cant just apply for TWSS for the cracic or just to get a few free punts

Thierry12 wrote: »
    All they have to do is take the subsidy off the payslip in most cases?

State owned banks AIB, PTSB should be doing what we tell them anyway, cheeky gits

Did you ever consider how and why they became to be state owned and the circumstances that led to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Has anyone on the subsidy been able to get the loan? Would a letter from employer help maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Yes some are approving on a case by case basis e.g ptsb, you need a letter from your employer saying they intend to take you back on and at the same wage you were on originally.

Yes some are approving on a case by case basis e.g ptsb, you need a letter from your employer saying they intend to take you back on and at the same wage you were on originally.

That’s good news for those affected. All lenders should do something similar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

That’s good news for those affected. All lenders should do something similar

Its an additional risk though. While most companies will fully intend to take people back (at their current salary)- many will quite simply be incapable of surviving- the pandemic payment scheme is a life support of a good number of companies- and despite the best of intentions- if the plug is pulled, many will fail.

Most lenders quite simply, unless they have a relationship with the company in question that you work for- are incapable of even beginning to quantify the risk associated with specific companies.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade- I'm simply pointing out the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's relevant for people on PUP not TWSS though - those on TWSS are generally still working and at full salary as it is.

My employer is on TWSS; so I fall in to that category. I've been in the office the entire time (essential worker in one of the totally non-obvious categories until you think about it) and my salary has not been affected at all - but from a banks perspective, my employer needed state support and was otherwise not in a position to meet all salaries, so I'm a higher lending risk.

Thankfully I'm not looking for a mortgage currently.

Is TWSS not supposed to end at the end of August? Probably people will be ok after this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is TWSS not supposed to end at the end of August? Probably people will be ok after this?

Only after the 3/6 months or whatever of bank statements that the lender requests. And its entirely possible that salary certs will suddenly grow a field about whether the employer receivers the TWSS replacement EWSS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement